Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

@mahomed wrote:

I still don't see how we can disable the QOS.  Anyone notice that when doing a speedtest, it seems to pause for a bit and then throttle down?  I suspect QOS is kicking in and doing some throttling.  Hopefully the new firmware can turn this off and then it should give us the max speed without filtering.

Not so sure its throttlilng.. though it is possible.

When/where do you see this.  After the first like 1/5-/14 ish of it?

That is fairly normal across all packages.  Rogers still supports 'speed boost', where they actually give an accelerated speed for the first like 10% or something like that, to help with quicker streaming loading, etc.  
EG: On my 100u package, you see a 130ish on the first little bit, then settles down to the 100 for the rest.

I Plan to Stick Around

New Rogers HITRON CODA-4582 Gigabit modem refuses to hand out an IP to a router in bridged mode. I will allow a laptop to connect but not a router. Have dealt with support and last step was to replace the modem just in case it was a hardware issue, still experiencing the same issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

I should also mention that I am plugging modem in to my brand new DLINK DIR-895L and it will give out an IP address if it's not bridged which is what is even more boggling. Both modem and router reset back to default to see if that made any difference and it didn't after switching to bridged mode.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@markopas wrote:

New Rogers HITRON CODA-4582 Gigabit modem refuses to hand out an IP to a router in bridged mode. I will allow a laptop to connect but not a router. Have dealt with support and last step was to replace the modem just in case it was a hardware issue, still experiencing the same issue.

@markopas see this post on page 8 for info on how IP addresses are handed out: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/383...

It's possible that the Rogers DHCP server has locked in your laptop MAC address, and 1 other MAC address, and thus why it won't allow your router to get one.  If you set your router to spoof your laptop MAC address, it should connect.  You just need to determine what the other MAC address is, and if Rogers tech support can flush it from the DHCP server's reservation table.  They may tell you to wait 48 hours for it to flush itself.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Double_K wrote:

@markopas wrote:

@markopas see this post on page 8 for info on how IP addresses are handed out: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/383...

It's possible that the Rogers DHCP server has locked in your laptop MAC address, and 1 other MAC address, and thus why it won't allow your router to get one.  If you set your router to spoof your laptop MAC address, it should connect.  You just need to determine what the other MAC address is, and if Rogers tech support can flush it from the DHCP server's reservation table.  They may tell you to wait 48 hours for it to flush itself.

Are you certain this behavior is fact? because i was using 3 seperate devices  (router laptop and tower) in bridge mode and testing all 3 of them for speed  and latency, and had no issues rapibly switching bethween the 3 and getting a public ip assigned (each device was assigned a different public ip as rogers DHCP server binds the address by mac) 

@Jeffj wrote:

Are you certain this behavior is fact? because i was using 3 seperate devices  (router laptop and tower) in bridge mode and testing all 3 of them for speed  and latency, and had no issues rapibly switching bethween the 3 and getting a public ip assigned (each device was assigned a different public ip as rogers DHCP server binds the address by mac) 

Officially, the fact is that Rogers only provides 1 IP address to Retail/Consumer users.

Unofficially, Rogers provides 2 IP addresses to "some" Retail / Consumer users (where "some" could be all, but I cannot confirm).  This is based on 2 data points: My own experience & this thread: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3024...

Per that thread, Retail/Consumer customers can purchase additional IP addresses.  (see https://na.edit.client.yahoo.com/rogers/show_static?.form=rogers_pu_mi_addipadrs&.intl=ca for details)

When I called Rogers 2 years ago to get additonal IPs for my home, they told me that this was no longer available for Hybrid Fibre plans (which I was switched to from another plan by retentions) - and that I would have to switch to a Business plan to get additonal IPs (which I didn't do).  Thus, this does not cover Business plans or those Consumers who have purchased more than 1 IP address, or those Consumers who may be on a special EPP plan that provides multiple IP addresses as an affiliate perk.

As for not being able to connect a 3rd device, and the DHCP server locking in your 1st & 2nd MAC address, and waiting for 48 hours for it to flush, this fact was told to me by Rogers technical support last year.  I cannot validate the accuracy.

However, several variables exist;

1 - It's possible that Rogers now allows 3 or more IP addresses for "some" customers

2 - It's possible that Rogers has fixed (some of) the DHCP servers to better handle "bridge-mode" operation where the connected clients change.

3 - Last week, my pfSense server reported that my Rogers IP address lease time was 1 hour.  As of Saturday, that's moved to 48 hours.  Is it possible your lease time was short during your testing?

4 - It's possible that Rogers only allows 1 IP address for "some" customers like markopas.  So depending on the DHCP server for your neighbourhood, you might only get 1 - and hence why spoofing your laptop mac in your modem is necessary.

Did you use ipconfig/release in your testing jeffj?

One variable that's not clear is whether markopas used ipconfig/release from their laptop (& then immediately  disconnected the cable before the laptop could send a new DHCP request) before connecting their router.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry, but that makes no sense.  I've had 5 devices plugged in to the cable modem for testing purposes when I initially had the issue of my 3552 modem not surpassing the 250Mbps threshold.  At that time, my 3552 modem was giving out IP's on bridged mode to my router without issue.

I also had a Rogers service tech come out to check the lines to do tests on the line with another Rogers rep testing out on the back end the speeds and other troubleshooting to figure out what's going on until he told me that they were coming out with a new modem and just sit patiently until it's available after the New Year.  Luckily the email came out last week and picked up the modem right away which fixed my speed issue.

Like I said, I dont think Rogers DHCP servers care, at the end of the day and think this is a firmware bug of sorts because if the 4582 modem can give out IP's when in gateway modem (because it's using its own DHCP to hand out IP's then why would it be any different to hand out my router an IP in bridged mode.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Double_K wrote:
@Jeffj wrote:

Officially, the fact is that Rogers only provides 1 IP address to Retail/Consumer users.

Unofficially, Rogers provides 2 IP addresses to "some" Retail / Consumer users (where "some" could be all, but I cannot confirm).  This is based on 2 data points: My own experience & this thread: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3024...

Per that thread, Retail/Consumer customers can purchase additional IP addresses.  (see https://na.edit.client.yahoo.com/rogers/show_static?.form=rogers_pu_mi_addipadrs&.intl=ca for details)

When I called Rogers 2 years ago to get additonal IPs for my home, they told me that this was no longer available for Hybrid Fibre plans (which I was switched to from another plan by retentions) - and that I would have to switch to a Business plan to get additonal IPs (which I didn't do).  Thus, this does not cover Business plans or those Consumers who have purchased more than 1 IP address, or those Consumers who may be on a special EPP plan that provides multiple IP addresses as an affiliate perk.

As for not being able to connect a 3rd device, and the DHCP server locking in your 1st & 2nd MAC address, and waiting for 48 hours for it to flush, this fact was told to me by Rogers technical support last year.  I cannot validate the accuracy.

However, several variables exist;

1 - It's possible that Rogers now allows 3 or more IP addresses for "some" customers

2 - It's possible that Rogers has fixed (some of) the DHCP servers to better handle "bridge-mode" operation where the connected clients change.

3 - Last week, my pfSense server reported that my Rogers IP address lease time was 1 hour.  As of Saturday, that's moved to 48 hours.  Is it possible your lease time was short during your testing?

4 - It's possible that Rogers only allows 1 IP address for "some" customers like markopas.  So depending on the DHCP server for your neighbourhood, you might only get 1 - and hence why spoofing your laptop mac in your modem is necessary.

Did you use ipconfig/release in your testing jeffj?

One variable that's not clear is whether markopas used ipconfig/release from their laptop (& then immediately  disconnected the cable before the laptop could send a new DHCP request) before connecting their router.  

I was not deploying the dhsp release on the cards, as the modem was phyiscally being rebooted and attached ot a new different each test.

One thing i noticed before with my old modem when i had IPV6 is rogers would hand out two public ipv4 addresses and then any other device attached was ipv6 only, but was about to get out ot the world. 

I have no idea if im alloted 3 addresses i suppose id have ot attach all 3 at once. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Basically putting your devices in bridge mode and fill all four ports on the modem to see which ones get an IP and ones don't. Maybe we are limited to a max of 4 IP's based on the amount of ports on the cable modem.

@markopas wrote:

Sorry, but that makes no sense.  I've had 5 devices plugged in to the cable modem for testing purposes when I initially had the issue of my 3552 modem not surpassing the 250Mbps threshold.  At that time, my 3552 modem was giving out IP's on bridged mode to my router without issue.

I also had a Rogers service tech come out to check the lines to do tests on the line with another Rogers rep testing out on the back end the speeds and other troubleshooting to figure out what's going on until he told me that they were coming out with a new modem and just sit patiently until it's available after the New Year.  Luckily the email came out last week and picked up the modem right away which fixed my speed issue.

Like I said, I dont think Rogers DHCP servers care, at the end of the day and think this is a firmware bug of sorts because if the 4582 modem can give out IP's when in gateway modem (because it's using its own DHCP to hand out IP's then why would it be any different to hand out my router an IP in bridged mode.

My apologies.  Personally, I have never seen a modem give out IP addresses in bridge mode, so I'm surprised to hear that the 3552 could do that.  My understanding of bridge mode is that the device is only acting as a modem, and not a DHCP server.  I have the 4582 operating in bridge mode, and it is not giving my router/firewall an IP address.  My router/firewall gets its IP address from the Rogers DHCP server.