Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

@Alex4161 you were asking about gigabit switches earlier this week.  Here a link for a number of unmanaged switches at CanadaComputers:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=27_1045

You could go with a 5 port unmanaged switch, but you might find it useful to have some extra ports available for test purposes.  It all depends on where the switch will be located:

TP-Link 5 port:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1045_355&item_id=058859

TP-Link 8 port:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1045_355&item_id=058860

D-Link 5 port:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1045_355&item_id=063442

D-Link 8 port:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1045_355&item_id=033084

Fwiw, I use an older version of the D-Link 8 port gigabit switch, which is the DGS-1008D.  The link just above is for the newer DGS-1008G.  I bought this long before speeds above 100 Mb/s were available and was looking for an unmanaged switch to support the ethernet cabling throughout the house.  Just for curiosity I ran a test today, with and without the switch.  In both cases, I was seeing 920+ Mb/s down, 57 Mb/s up.  So, I don't think I can complain too loudly. 

Now, the one point about these switches is that they are unmanaged switches.  There might be a case to be made for a managed switch, depending on what you might want to do with it beyond the basics.  If that's the case, something like one of the TP-Link ProSAFE® Gigabit Web Managed (Plus) Switches might do the job.  They have VLAN support and Rate Limiting, among other items.  Have a look at the following page and select the link for the Product Data Sheet which will bring up a product sheet with data for products which start at 5 ports and go up to 24 ports. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS108Ev3#docs

Have a look at the various capabilities to see if any of them might be of use. 

Here's the 5 port switch:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122128

Here's the 8 port switch:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12K-008X-00022&Tpk=12K-008X-00022

So, those are a little more expensive, but not by much.  Its just a question of whether an unmanaged or managed switch will fit your requirements.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
@Datalink

Thanks for the tip. I will look into these links.

coder_1990
I plan to stick around

Has anybody noticed upload speeds of roughly 10mbps?? I thought they only reduced them to 30mbps, but for the last day or so I have maxed out at just over 10mbps.

PapaL
I've been here awhile

Yes, they are both set to minimum.  

#1 - Sorry it took so long to reply but I just bought a new computer and have been setting it up.  Just a small problem with the BIOS when the computer reboots (like it won't reboot!).   

#2 - After posting my original message, the next day my son fired up his Xbox-1 and surprise the NAT was moderate, not open, but better than strict.  We didn't do anything special, just turned off the Xbox, just like we had done several times the day before.  He says he can play and join groups so that's the important thing.  

Note: got the new computer after the probem was resolved so that had nothing to do with the NAT changing.

Thanks for you interest, but think we can shut this one down, unless someone else has the same problem.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
@Alex4161, I experienced #2 only one time last week where I noticed my downstream light changed back to blue for no apparent reason. Power-cycling the modem fixed the problem and re-enabled D3.1. Since it only happened one time and I didn't read any other reports of it happening to anyone else, I never bothered to report it. My CODA is bridged. Interesting to hear it happened to someone else. I'll keep an eye on it...

viciouslancer
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave Is there anyway to enable MoCA on the modem? My Actiontec adapters can connect, but once the modem fully boots up, MoCA seems to be turned off 😞

DEERA
I've been here awhile
Been encountering a very odd issue. All android devices are lagging or timing out ever since the 2.0.10.24 update to the firmware. Have tried resetting the coda modem and even switched it out for the new 2 black dot model and still the same issue. Streaming apps such as google music, netflix, youtube and spotify are unusable. IOs and Windows works fine. Also if I put the modem in bridge mode and set up a 3rd party router the android issue disappears. However I would rather just use the coda as my router than have 2 set up. Any ideas of settings I could change to rectify this situation?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Depending on your 3rd party router.. it may be much better in MOST aspects than the CODA.

Even with the more antennas, etc.. the router part of it is still only a mid range router, quality wise.
Many 3rd party, have much better options in terms of routing, forwarding, etc options.

Wouldnt suprise me that its something on the firmware of some form.
I know one of the older hitrons (cgn2?) was prone to having issues letting iOS devices join at all.. unless they were the FIRST devices to connect to the wifi 😛

rthusoo
I've been here awhile

Does this modem have PoE ports

skoka
I've been here awhile

I am having problems with the Modem Kicking me from games when my kids are using netflix ect.

Is there a QoS or another way of priortising bandwith.

This is killing me! I looked around and did not see qos. Please help.

Thank you all in advance for your time.

Double_K

@rthusoo No, this modem does not have PoE ports.

@skoka Being kicked from a game could be a number of factors, and you'd need to know what factors the game uses to justify kicking you - is it packet loss or latency on TCP?  or latency / rtt on ping / ICMP?

Netflix is UDP downstream traffic - there is no traffic shaping / QoS / prioritization by Rogers on the types of traffic inbound/downstream....they send whatever packet is next in the queue, up to the bandwidth limit of your service speed.  You can't control this.  Sometimes, your TCP or ICMP or UDP downstream/inbound game traffic has to wait in the queue for the UDP Netflix traffic (or your neighbours traffic), which causes latency (and packet loss if the queue is full).  Contributing to this is how much bandwidth those Netflix stream(s) are using (1080p = spikes of 16-20Mbps, 4K = much higher) in relation to your service speed bandwidth.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

@DEERA

Could you please let us know what IP version you are using with these devices?  I have the same modem/firmware and have no issues with Netflix, YouTube.  I will point out that the firewall settings for IP 4 vs IP6 are different which could be causing the issue.  I would suggest you look at the IP4 settings and set the IP6 to the same thing.  I know this caused some issues for me and am not sure why Rogers/Hitron setup the default firewall rules different between profiles.

skoka
I've been here awhile

Both are set to Minimum, I hope this answers your question.

I was not sure if this was the setting you were looking for.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
@RogersDave

Would you know when 160MHz for 802.11ac will be enabled? That would make a big difference in terms of speed.

traghipp
I plan to stick around

It appears that DOCSIS 3.1 has been turned off for me. Any idea why this has happened? Should I contact Rogers support? Thank you

RyzenFX

@traghipp Try rebooting your modem, there's a chance that the modem didn't lock onto the OFDM channel properly. If you're still on D3.0 after the reboot, you can contact Rogers support. 

Yes. I signed up for 50 megs and now getting 30. Called them yesterday but they playing they have no clue. Any idea who to complain to ?

my ping got better

yes they did. but why nobody complains? they cut a half of your upload speed but your bill remains the same

chrisky6
I've been around

Hi there!

I can't seem to find the option to enable the USB port on the Hitron CODA-4582 modem. I am using software version 2.0.10.24. Any idea how I can turn it on? I was using the USB port on the previous modem for network attached storage and my back ups are pending! 🙂

Thanks!

Chris

I am being asked for a coda login and a server verification
What does this mean and how do I fix it