Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

I am curious to see if anyone tried to play online games yet with the new modem?

If so how's the ping now vs your old modem.

I am only getting the CODA 4582 on December 22th.. I am very excited but can't wait at the same time!

Played some Xbox last night, It was glorious for me, I was in pure bliss. I had much better latencey end to end while twitch streaming Jackbox 3, cut down my delay to the people i was playing with watching the stream from average 18 seconds to 8-9 it made a huge difference, My sister noticed right away on her end the game was much more synced to me when the questions on quiplash were being announced. 

Also I found it MUCH easier to get in to the  same server instance on Elite Dangerous as my wing mates, it actually went . near seemeless when usually its a bit of a fumble to get us all in the same instance, especially when im wing leader.  

Today I am going to try streaming some Witcher 3 from my pc tower to my work rig and see what the network health looks like. I have kept track of it in the past with end to end latency tracking and ping and packet loss and will report if it improves. 

@hptouchdroid13as @Double_K posted earlier in this forum it would be recommended to change over to this new modem when time permits (Post #13).

While this may not fix the disconnects issue as that may be a signal problem it will help in a variey of other ways.

DJKAOS_
I've been here awhile

Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware & internet speed issues 😞

Hello all,

I am in the Orillia area, and currently using the Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware.... Prior to using it, i was getting fast download speeds of around 600mbps, but since connecting the Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware my download speed has slowed right down to 100mbps.

Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to get my internet speed back? 

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

What was your ping before vs now?

Hybrid_Noodle
I plan to stick around

@DJKAOS_

You are not the only person who has run into this speed issue and there are currently some other people testing and working on whats going on. All of the information on what is going on is under the "Modem Trial Firmware Feedback" posting. @RogersDave has some tests and information that you should look through and try to begin looking at the issue (Post Information)

DJKAOS_
I've been here awhile
My ping now is 8ms
I don't know how many millaseconds it was with the previous modem.

DJKAOS_
I've been here awhile
@Hybrid_Noodle

Thank you, okay i will take a look.

amp3d
I've been here awhile

100ms? That's horrible...

I still have the old Rogers gigabit (CGNM-3552) and I've never seen pings higher than 10ms, usually I have about 7 or so...

I highly double a replacement modem will cut your ping by 90% unless your home network was incorrectly configured before?

I get about 900mbps with my modem in bridge mode, and great ping. I'm hesitant to do any "early" upgrades. If it aint broken, don't fix it. Especially if it means making a phone call to Rogers support...

sstackho
I've been here awhile

Can this modem be set into bridge mode? 

Ree9
I've been here awhile

@DJKAOS_ wrote:

Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware & internet speed issues 😞

Hello all,

I am in the Orillia area, and currently using the Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware.... Prior to using it, i was getting fast download speeds of around 600mbps, but since connecting the Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware my download speed has slowed right down to 100mbps.

Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to get my internet speed back? 

Are you in bridge mode by chance?  I am, and had the same problem, and simply rebooting my router solved the problem.

DJKAOS_
I've been here awhile
How can I tell if I am in bridge mode?

Mayoo
I plan to stick around

I would think so .. 

So is anyone seeing any speed improvments ? I know ping values came down .. 

orenwolf
I've been here awhile

Interesting.

Until now, I've been using an Ignite modem (I'm guessing the CGN3 family? Whatever they give you for gigabit), in bridge mode, connected to an Apple Time Capsule for Wi-Fi.

It *sounds* like it may be time for me to consider switching to using the CODE-4582's built-in Wifi, as I may get better 802.11AC rates than I do now with my Time Capsule (The time Capsule does 3×3:3 dual-band w/beamforming, but it sounds like this may actually have better reception?)

Interestingly the Time Capsule and this new router have nearly identical dimensions, as well, probably a function of antenna layout.

@Double_Kor @RogersDave any thoughts on the likely throughput differences, if any? I'm not sure if I still have the FCC Id's for power output handy anymore for the Time Capsule/Airport Extreme.

Ree9
I've been here awhile

@DJKAOS_ wrote:
How can I tell if I am in bridge mode?

Bridge mode is when you disable the routing features of the Rogers device, so it only acts as a modem, and then you hook up your own router instead.  So unless you've hooked up your own router, you're not in bridge mode.

Prospect
I plan to stick around

what's the password for the login info?

cusadmin password doesn't seem to work

The first time that you fire up the modem and connect to it, it will step you through a setup process to set the wifi network names and passphrase.  That passphrase is also the modem password.  After that is set up you will be able to log in and change the network names, network passphrases and modem password.  The user name is still cusadmin when you go to the usual login page. 

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor

@orenwolf wrote:

Interesting.

Until now, I've been using an Ignite modem (I'm guessing the CGN3 family? Whatever they give you for gigabit), in bridge mode, connected to an Apple Time Capsule for Wi-Fi.

It *sounds* like it may be time for me to consider switching to using the CODE-4582's built-in Wifi, as I may get better 802.11AC rates than I do now with my Time Capsule (The time Capsule does 3×3:3 dual-band w/beamforming, but it sounds like this may actually have better reception?)

Interestingly the Time Capsule and this new router have nearly identical dimensions, as well, probably a function of antenna layout.

@Double_Kor @RogersDave any thoughts on the likely throughput differences, if any? I'm not sure if I still have the FCC Id's for power output handy anymore for the Time Capsule/Airport Extreme.

If you're happy with the TC's range, my suggestion would be to stay with the TC for now as your Wireless Access Point.  That doesn't stop you from changing your current CGN3 modem for the CODA modem & put the CODA in bridge mode. @RogersDave has confirmed that there is a firmware change coming for the CODA-4582 to improve the 5GHz range.

However, that being said - why not have both?  Using the Rogers modem in Gateway mode enables a Wireless Access Point.  Connect the Time Capsule to it via an ethernet cable from the other side of your house and set it up as a bridge (not a router).  Make sure they are the same SSID & security configuration (ie. same WPA2PSK AES password) on different channels, and not overlapping with your neighbours.  Then you'd have 2 wireless access points providing coverage for your house, potentially improving your connection speeds in 802.11ac.

@sstackho wrote:

Can this modem be set into bridge mode? 

Yes. It's no different from the CGN3 family in that respect...

JohnyR
I plan to stick around

Wasted my whole day with this new modem. Swapped the unit twice, and still having the same issue: getting 20mbps down if I'm lucky, instead of the 800 that I usually average. I've noticed that my upstream power levels are way below spec. My old modem was between 41-43, now it is 31-35 (35 is min recommended)

I've created a ticket with engineering and requested that a tech come out to try and fix my upstream power levels. 

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@JohnyR wrote:

Wasted my whole day with this new modem. Swapped the unit twice, and still having the same issue: getting 20mbps down if I'm lucky, instead of the 800 that I usually average. I've noticed that my upstream power levels are way below spec. My old modem was between 41-43, now it is 31-35 (35 is min recommended)

I've spoke to tech support atleast 6 times today, and they are all pretty useless (I forgot how much better and technically-knowledged level1 techs on third party ISPs are). I keep mentioning that my upstream signals are BELOW spec and they brush it off -- probably because they dont understand it.

What is my course of action here? I can't get my old modem back as its marked to be shipped off to whereever. 

I wouldnt be concerend about your upstream numbers at all. the CMTS tells your modem what power it needs to make it back. your modem does not determin them at all. Mine are 30.XX no issues, always have been even before the new modem. As for your down stream issues I'd see if @RogersDave can run a diagnostic on your modem and see what he can find. 

WHats your downstream numbers look like?

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@JohnyR wrote:

I've spoke to tech support atleast 6 times today, and they are all pretty useless (I forgot how much better and technically-knowledged level1 techs on third party ISPs are). I keep mentioning that my upstream signals are BELOW spec and they brush it off -- probably because they dont understand it.

What is my course of action here? I can't get my old modem back as its marked to be shipped off to whereever. 

I wouldnt be concerend about your upstream numbers at all. the CMTS tells your modem what power it needs to make it back. your modem does not determin them at all. Mine are 30.XX no issues, always have been even before the new modem. As for your down stream issues I'd see if @RogersDave can run a diagnostic on your modem and see what he can find. 

WHats your downstream numbers look like?