Did you mean: 

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Ramz
I plan to stick around

Thanks I did and looks like its for Bell phone. Thanks for all your help.

VivienM
I'm an advisor

@JC780 wrote:
Hi Vivien,
I thought about that too, but it is hard to believe that Rogers has so many internal hosts already using the 10... IP space. Then, what are the chances to pick something owned by the DoD. Really? why not directly an IP owned by NSA? I just found it to be an odd assignment even for internal modem management.
Thanks so much!

Other than some US government agencies (DoD, etc), there aren't a ton of people who have ex-class A blocks that are not routing them on the public Internet. There used to be more, but I think a number of those folks have sold them off to the big cloud computing vendors (e.g. Amazon AWS).

HughR
I plan to stick around

@VivienM wrote:

@JC780 wrote:
Hi Vivien,
I thought about that too, but it is hard to believe that Rogers has so many internal hosts already using the 10... IP space. Then, what are the chances to pick something owned by the DoD. Really? why not directly an IP owned by NSA? I just found it to be an odd assignment even for internal modem management.
Thanks so much!

Other than some US government agencies (DoD, etc), there aren't a ton of people who have ex-class A blocks that are not routing them on the public Internet. There used to be more, but I think a number of those folks have sold them off to the big cloud computing vendors (e.g. Amazon AWS).

Fido squats on a Class A assigned to the UK Ministry of Defence

https://www.mac-help.com/threads/ministry-of-defence-ip-address-in-my-phone.153975/

But I assume that neither the MoD nor Fido advertise routing to these addresses.  In any fight, I think that the MoD would have better weapons.

I wonder why a /8 isn't enough for one provider.

Luismiguel1977
I've been around

does this "new upgraded modem" still not support basic storage DLNA function that can work with internet streaming boxes yet?  I was running a Dlink 880L as my router but this modem has better wifi throughput to my PC wireless than the router, and decided to try the USB port with a powered seagate 3TB drive.  it detects the drive via the router setting, but no SMB, FTP, Upnp or DLNA?  sounds like this will be a deal breaker.  Anyone have ideas any other options to replace this $12/month rental with a modem router that will do the trick all in one?  

Thanks!

@Luismiguel1977 , ok this is an easy one.  No .... You cannot run an unapproved modem on the Rogers network.  Sorry ....  If you're looking for additional functions in a modem/router, you will have to run the modem in Bridge mode and run a router which will provide the functions that you are looking for. 

llc623
I've been around
Did you find a solution? I encountered the exact same question.
cable cat6, checked.
motherboard has gigabyte lan connector, checked.
rogers gigabyte plan, checked.

speed test on my phone is 500Mbps

Greetings and welcome to our Community @llc623

Help has arrived! You've come to the right place. I just want to confirm that I fully understand the issue at hand before I proceed forward with troubleshooting your speed issue.

To confirm, you're receiving your full speeds through your phone but only 100Mbps through a wired connection? Or are you subscribed to Gigabit and you're only getting half speeds on your phone?

Please PM us @CommunityHelps with your answer so we can further assist. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

What are the differences between the Hitron CODA-4582, Arris XB6 and Technicolor XB6? 

Which is the best modem for Gigabit speed and IP TV? 

The Hitron CODA-4582 and Arris TG3482ER are both Intel Puma 7 chipset modems. 

The Technicolor CGM4140 is a Broadcom BCM3390 chipset modem.  

All are capable of gigabit data rates.  

The XB6 modems, (Arris TG3482ER and Technicolor CGM4140) are specifically used by Rogers to support IPTV.  Note that the combination of the XB6 and set top boxes Xi6-A and Xi6-T for IPTV use is actually a Comcast product which have been adopted by Shaw and Rogers for IPTV as well.  

Anyone with complaints regarding a lack of any specific functions or the poor performance of any given function should probably be directing their complaints to Comcast rather than Rogers or Shaw.  

The Hitron 4582 is a Gateway modem with 4 ethernet ports and no built in telephone capability.  It does not support Rogers IPTV, although I wonder if it could be matched up with the IPTV set top boxes and provide enough support with its current and upcoming firmware.

Both XB6 modems are EMTAs, which is to say that they have built in telephone support.  Those modems only have two ethernet ports plus two RJ-11 jacks for telephones. 

All of the modems are capable of supporting gigabit data rates, but, if you're only looking for gig rates, no IPTV, then the Hitron 4582 will be the modem to use. 

If you're looking for IPTV, then, personal opinion, the Technicolor CGM4140 should be the modem of choice, simply because ...... its not an Intel Puma chipset modem.  

Just to note, Intel is currently looking to shed its Home Connected division, which would be the division responsible for the Puma Modem line.  So much for Intel's plan to take over the home modem world.  I wonder where that leaves Comcast if in fact that division is sold.  

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

@Datalink

Thank you....This is very helpful and good to know! 

So for those of us switching from Cable to IPTV with a 4582 Gigabit Modem will be swapped to one of the XB6 modems. The Rogers store only knows it as an Ignite WiFi Gateway modem.....and the modem doesn't have any  identifiers to show whether its an Arris or Technicolor.  .

@rjmaxim I'm not sure how the 4582 modem return goes.  Either the customer has to return it to the store prior to the Ignite TV install, or the installation tech removes the 4582 from the account as part of the Ignite TV installation.  There are also Home Phone modems and Nextboxes to remove from customer accounts as well.  I suspect that is all done by the installation tech.  Maybe one of the Ignite TV customers can indicate how this process works. 

From what I'm alluding to above, the Ignite TV service is not a customer installed package.  Its installed by a technician which includes the equipment installation and back end account setup.  

The Arris and Technicolor modems have product stickers on the bottom of the modems.  The Hitron modems have their product sticker located on the back of the modems. 

wayner92
I'm a reliable contributor

Do the options change at all if you want the Gateway in Bridge mode to be able to use your own router?  I am still on legacy TV and I have 250 internet with an older CGN3 modem - I was an early adopter of the CGN3 and went through the pain on that around 5 years ago.  I am thinking of upgrading but I will not upgrade if I cannot use my own router as I use Ubiquiti Unifi for my home networking.  I would likely continue to stay on legacy cable TV for now as I bought Rogers SA cable boxes many years ago and I continue to use them to feed a PC based DVR solution that is better than what you can get from Rogers.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Yes people are using the XB6 in bridge mode with Ignite TV but Rogers does not/will not support this setup. 

Some who have set the XB6 to bridge mode have encounter problems. I myself have the Arris XB6 in bridge mode using my Netgear R7000 router and have no problems with and of the services with my Ignite TV with 3 Xi6-A , internet and telephone. But I may be the exception. <TouchWood>

Your experience may vary.

Good Luck 

Bill

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

@Datalink Thanks again..... Modem comparison question was to determine if any of the 3 Physical high speed modems is superior. They all seem to have flaws and also depending on what service is needed. For last 2 years, I am on the CODA 4582  Beta program with 1Gb service plan.  Although we still have many issues, generally it has been fairly stable (V2.0 not V7.1). My Download speeds still vary a great deal (between 300 - 800 with occasional spikes above 1 Gb on fast.com). The CODA is in bridge mode connected to a Linksys router and handling 30+ IOT devices and many computers, laptops, iPads, etc well. On the TV side I have Premier Digital Cable w 1 rented Netbox HD PVR and 2 owned PVRs.......The separation of Internet and Digital cable has worked well....When the internet is down....The family can still watch TV.  My dilemma and probably many others.... Do I switch to IP (internet everything) today?  No doubt the future is in IP everything...but it requires fast, consistent and reliable  Internet Speed. ISP Infrastructure is critical with Fiber rather than copper to deliver this service. Bell is slowly rolling-out FTTH and Rogers has FTTH in selected areas but converts to Coax inside the home . You had a great video showing how the Aussies are converting buried Coax cable into Glass Fiber through injection without digging. Hopefully at some point Rogers will adopt this technology to deliver true FTTH. Ok...that's Infrastructure side.  So is the Coda likely to  better handle Internet Speeds but does not support IP (Ignite) TV or IP (Ignite) telephony....and why you need the Arris or Technicolor Modems? Or is it possible to use the Coda modem in Bridge mode and use your own router for WiFi and connection to Xi6 STB's for Ignite TV.  Reading the various Forums on Ignite TV.....there are many unresolved issues..., particularly when you cannot (easily) switch back from Ignite to Digital Cable . With so many unanswered questions...for me, I probably stay with my current set-up for another year.         

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

@Biollw @Datalink @Gdkitty 

Since the XB6 (Arris or Technicolor) can be used in bridge mode, using your own router as a Hub connected to the Xi6 set top boxes for IP TV. Is there a technical reason why the Hitron 4582 cannot be used? I understand that the Hitron doesn't have a telephone connection....but you can add a Tel Modem on the Coax. Just trying to understand if there are any technical limitations between these modems or just Rogers Ignite marketing.  Is the Rogers digital signal processing different between these modems to deliver content to the home? Of course for TV, you'll need a set top box like the Xi6 with HDMI to the TV ( for wireless) or coax cable connected to a Digital Box ( ie. Netbox.) Just trying to separate the technical vs marketing hype. 

I think you have to take a step back - when you are in Ignite TV land, you are in Comcastland with the Comcast billing system, whatever phone switching platform is used for the home phone (I believe it's different from what's used for the legacy Rogers Home Phone), etc. In part because the Comcast stuff was... not really designed for integration with anybody other than Comcast's legacy systems, I think they've just made a decision to start fresh using all the approved Comcast hardware and the old hardware, whether it could be made to work in Comcastland or not, is relegated to the legacy platform.

Is that at least partly driven by marketing? Maybe, since the Ignite TV 'vision' isn't really doable with the legacy modems in the same way as with the XB6. Or it could just be a desire to simplify - keep in mind that right now, the new world only has to support two variants of XB6, the Xi6, the mesh gear, and the mobile apps, compared to the legacy world that supports who-knows-how-many-modems (3 variants of CGN3, the 4582, the CGN2, the older SMC D3.0, the Cisco ... 3825, was it?..., not to mention potentially some DOCSIS 2.0 modems), a whole range of TV boxes (DTA, the older pre-nextbox non-HD boxes, 8300HD, 4642, 8642, 9865, whatever the 4K one is), who knows how many eMTAs for phone, etc.

(But while I don't know for sure, I would presume that the XB6 and the 4582 Hitrons tune to exactly the same DOCSIS 3.0/3.1 channels...)

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

@VivienM , Thanks.....I think we're on same wave length. Legacy is a challenge for anyone including ISP's. Future is costly, since it involves gambling on right vision/technology and major cap exp. You're making an assumption that both the 4582 and XB6 are tuned same (32 channels DOCSIS 3.1 > 4.0?) and therefore no diff in Signal Processing....If true, than the XB6 should be the only Modem/Router/WiFi hub Rogers should offer going forward.  ...and Legacy modems replaced over time as plans expire. They still would control the proprietary signal at the Modem level.....but it would allow for Tech Savvy customers to manage their own Routers/WiFi Hubs  ....and to connect to a Rogers Set Top Box client for Rogers IP TV content.  Hi-Speed internet is key....and content can be packaged and obtained from multiple sources, including Rogers IP TV channel offerings. Comcast and others are dealing with same challenge. I understand the Marketing side......but like to better understand the underlying technology flowing through these pipes....ideally FTTH if we want to get to 50Gbps speeds tomorrow. Interesting times ahead.....  Any Rogers techs willing to comment?   The Modem strategy should be transparent and good for all to know......The money is in Service & Content Offerings.

Why can’t I use the qos on this a modem ? When I get to the settings to turn it on I can’t select it ? Would like to setup it for gaming but I can’t.

Geezup
I plan to stick around

I am trying to put in a custom DNS for IPV4 and when I do it asks for me to install them again. I'm thinking it has to do with leaving the IPV6 blank.

Can rogers disable the IPV6 in the modem?

Hello, @Geezup.

Thank you for your post. Yes, you can disable IPv6 on the CODA-4582 modem. The setting to disable IPv6 is found under the Basic/Gateway Function menu; you can select IPv4 and save changes to disable IPv6. 

Under the Basic/DNS menu, you can select 'Manual' to add custom DNS Server IPs and save changes. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Geezup
I plan to stick around

I did that and when I hit enter i get a [Error: Please input the DNS information!] It never did this with the CGN3.