Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

@nav2004, hopefully you will receive a usefull answer for the USB drive on the SNB forum.  I don't think I can help with that one as I don't use a USB drive on my 86U.  You might want to consider loading Merlin's Asuswrt to see if that changes anything, and, with that loaded, you can also post a question in the Merlin Asuswrt sub-forum.

Fwiw, the firmware rewrite that Asus has embarked upon has caused issues from day one. Its been less than a year since that rewrite has been underway, and Asus has been addressing those issues as they have come up. Perhaps this is another problem caused by the rewrite?

For the printer, try this:

1. Run a google search for: igmp for wifi printer

Have a look at some of the threads from that search. You might find an answer from that group such as the following in item 2.

2. Have a look at the following post from that search:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/HowTo-Fix-printer-offline-problem-by-d...

Asus makes this easy to do. Log into the router, navigate to Wireless .... Professional and Disable IGMP snooping if it's enabled. Save the setting and reboot the router.

3. If the printer is close enough to the router, connect the printer via ethernet.  Underneath the top section of the printer is an ethernet and USB connector.  The ethernet cable routes into the ethernet port from the backside of the printer and around to the front left side.  I'd use ethernet, personal choice.  That is exactly what I've done with our Samsung wireless printer so that I wouldn't have to worry about which wifi network (2.4 or 5 Ghz) anyone is using.  By using an ethernet connection, you wouldn't have to load the USB printer service in the router, which you would need if you selected the USB port instead.  In this configuration the printer just looks like another ethernet connected device.  I suspect that you would still have to disable IGMP snooping on the wifi side for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.  Fwiw, I assign a fixed LAN IP address to the printer.  I've never had an issue with this configuration.

At the end of the day, if you're close enough for the laptop, printer and router to communicate with each other, and you still have an issue then the problem is a setting in the router or some protocol that Brother has chosen to use for wifi communications.  It looks like Brother Technical Support isn't too helpful.  I think that going the ethernet route might solve those problems fairly quickly.

nav2004
I plan to stick around

Thank you so much @Datalink

Was finally able to get the HDD setup the way I wanted.

Had to enable SMB1 on Windows 10 laptop and also had to enable guest login under Samba share on the ASUS router. If you don't, u can only map individual folders within the HDD, not the root folder. After I did this, I was able to now map a drive letter. As it is all within the home network, I am ok going this route.

Ah the Brother printer saga. Got on support with them and first thing I find out it is all via online chat only, no phone support. Before even contacting them, I had temporarily put CODA-4582 in Gateway mode this morning and shut off ASUS router to eliminate router being an issue. But that did not help, the printer driver installation was not able to find the printer. I then put ASUS Router back and disabled gateway modes. After few tries and frustrations, the printer driver installation was finally able to find the printer when i entered the direct ip address assigned a few times. Yet when it came to printing it was showing it as offline.

So the online chat rep made me do quite a few things and that did not help. I was not able to open the printer ip address in browser nor was able to ping that ip. Both the laptop and printer were connected to the same 2.4Ghz SSID.

What I was finally told to do was to disable Windows Defender firewall and then the communication was established and it printed. Scanning with their software was still not working, but I was able to use Irfanview which lets you select from few different TWAIN sources for this printer and one of them worked.

What irritated me was that the rep was not able to answer how to enable firewall and still have the windows 10 machine and printer communicate. Says to call Microsoft !! Like they are going to help me. Brother tech support says we dont know much about Firewall and yet they sell these Networked printers !!

So I left that chat and googled a bit and tried this

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=ads1000w_us&faqid=faq00002597_002

Adding those ports did not help, so I have left Defender off on Private Network as the ASUS Router anyway has firewall. Do you see any issues with this ?

I was finally able to figure access the USB and LAN ports hidden beneath the scanner. Was trying to open it the wrong way and was not able to. The instructions they had in manual was not very clear. I put my old USB cable in it for now. I was not sure if LAN cable would work, thought that is to be used to connect to Router and not the Ethernet port of Laptop, would this work just like a USB cable ?

My printer is no where near the router, but if Ethernet cable can work by connecting it to laptop, then will keep that as backup as well. This printer cannot work with Wireless and Wired connections at the same time, have to choose one or the other from the printer on screen settings.

I will see how things go over next few days before my 30 day return deadline for both the router and printer.

I was also able to enable OpenVPN on the ASUS and did a test connection using my Android device over mobile data and can happily access the Samba share server and see the contents using X-Plore app. This I feel is better over using the AiCloud, though AiCloud app had nice interface.

Just checked IGMP snooping was already disabled in the router, so it might be a windows defender issue.

HughR
I plan to stick around

@nav2004 wrote:

What I was finally told to do was to disable Windows Defender firewall and then the communication was established and it printed. Scanning with their software was still not working, but I was able to use Irfanview which lets you select from few different TWAIN sources for this printer and one of them worked.

What irritated me was that the rep was not able to answer how to enable firewall and still have the windows 10 machine and printer communicate. Says to call Microsoft !! Like they are going to help me. Brother tech support says we dont know much about Firewall and yet they sell these Networked printers !!

So I left that chat and googled a bit and tried this

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=ads1000w_us&faqid=faq00002597_002

Adding those ports did not help, so I have left Defender off on Private Network as the ASUS Router anyway has firewall. Do you see any issues with this ?

I was finally able to figure access the USB and LAN ports hidden beneath the scanner. Was trying to open it the wrong way and was not able to. The instructions they had in manual was not very clear. I put my old USB cable in it for now. I was not sure if LAN cable would work, thought that is to be used to connect to Router and not the Ethernet port of Laptop, would this work just like a USB cable ?

My printer is no where near the router, but if Ethernet cable can work by connecting it to laptop, then will keep that as backup as well. This printer cannot work with Wireless and Wired connections at the same time, have to choose one or the other from the printer on screen settings.

I will see how things go over next few days before my 30 day return deadline for both the router and printer.

I'm not a Windows user, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Is Windows Defender a firewall?  Or is it something else?  I get confused by Microsoft branding.

On my Linux machine's firewall, I have enabled services "ipp" and "ipp-client" and can access my Brother MFC-L2720DW through the wired ethernet connection.  I suspect only ipp-client was needed.  I think that they each mean opening TCP and UDP port 631.  I have no idea if "discovery" works since I allocated a fixed IP address.

Here's something about IPP in Windows: https://superuser.com/questions/300986/ipp-printing-from-windows-7-ultimate

I don't actually know if IPP is the most effective way to talk from your Windows box (boxes?) to your printer.

@nav2004 here is some additional points to have a look at:

1.  From Merlins's Asuswrt changelog for firmware version .384.4 dated 16 Mar 2018 comes the following:

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/changelog-382

CHANGED: Samba protocol support can now be set to SMBv1, SMBv2, or SMBv1 + SMBv2 (the new default).  This will result in a performance drop on all models but the RT-AC86U, but will be more secure.  Ideally, people should change it to SMBv2 only, and then reboot all their client devices to start using only the new protocol.

So, it looks like SMBv2 has been added by Merlin.  It might be worth loading his Asuswrt version and using SMBv2 only for security purposes.  .384.5 is the latest stable version, which is shown in the following thread:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-384-ng-asuswrt-merlin-384-5-is-now-available.46575/

The latest beta version is shown in the following thread:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/beta-asuswrt-merlin-384-6-beta-is-now-available.47772/

2.  For the printer, if you're not using another combination anti-virus/firewall program to protect the pc, fire up Windows Defender and open the Windows Defender Security Center.  At the bottom is a selection to "Allow an app through the firewall".  Follow the bouncing ball on the following popup pages to finally browse to the Brother folder which contains the drivers and associated programs.  You will have to experiment to determine which application requires access thru the firewall.  This all depends on whether or not you use another anti-virus/firewall program on your pc.  Personally I wouldn't run the pc without its own firewall, even with the router's firewall up and running.  Ok, call me paranoid, but, there were recent issues with the Asus app inadvertently allowing external access to the router.  So, once again personal opinion, don't use the Asus app for any purpose, and, use a pc firewall of some type in the event that Asus gets it wrong once again, somewhere down the road. 

3.  For the USB and ethernet connections to the printer, the USB path would work, but, you would probably have to set the printer path in the laptop to either the wifi accessed IP address, or set it to use the USB cable.  I might be wrong, but, I suspect that the printer driver might not find the printer on its own if you do switch paths from wifi to USB and back again.  A simple test will confirm or dispel that idea.  For an ethernet cable connected directly from the laptop, the printer IP address would have to be set in the laptop's printer control IP entry, and you might have to set a default IP address in the laptop, and probably use a cross-over cable when you connect the two devices.  I think this would be a lot of trouble.  Relocating the printer closer to the router, or using a long ethernet cable between the router and printer would probably be a lot easier.  Connecting the printer from the router should be straight forward, accompanied with a static IP address set in the router (for the printer), and then also set in the laptop printer control settings.  Its possible that with a static IP address set thru the router, that the laptop will be able to find the ethernet connected printer without any issues. 

Hope this helps.

Food for thought, are you in a recently built house, as in built in the last 15 to 20 years?  If so, I wonder if it happens to have structured wiring installed, which is a cable bundle that runs from the basement or utility closet Structured Wiring Cabinet to selected rooms.  Behind any wallplate with a cable or telephone port on it, you might find the remaining cables, waiting for the homeowner to discover them and put them to use.  The cable bundle usually consists of two RG-6 cables for satellite or cable tv, one Cat 5e ethernet for data, and one Cat 3 possibly Cat 5e for telephones.  If that cable bundle is installed in your home, it would make this a much simpler task. 

Fwiw, here's the search results for "Samba", as found in Merlin's Asuswrt forum:

https://www.snbforums.com/search/766273/?q=samba&o=date&c[node]=42

You're not the only one to run into the Windows 10 SMBv1 issue, and probably not the last.  Loading Merlin's Asuswrt and enabling SMBv2 might be the quickest way to resolve the security issue with SMBv1. 

nav2004
I plan to stick around

As the router is new and has 2 years warranty, don't want to mess around with third party firmware which most likely will void the warranty. Maybe a project once I get bored of the stock firmware down the line.

Printer again would not connect and print over wifi in a different login on same PC. I double checked, Windows defender was still off, but could not ping to the ip assigned to the printer. Got fedup and plugged the USB cable to use it and it ended up installing a second brother printer in the Printers and Devices section. And was able to print and scan. Will have to check if the Inbound Port unblocking rule that i added in my account made it to other users on that laptop. I did experiment a bit with Allow an app through the firewall, but could not figure out the exe for brother utilities to add to unblock. Will have to look little more as I don't like to have Defender turned off, even if for Private networks for the reason you described. If the Router firewall goes down, then you have no protection.

So Ethernet cable route will not work. I don't think I have a cross-over cable. Had used once to connect a VOIP box to a router and they look same like Ethernet cable so hard to differentiate. As I have the USB cable from previous printer(when they used to include them and have now cheaped out and don't include one), that path works for wired connections. Yes, unfortunately you can only use Wifi or Wired, but not both. It does allow Wifi and Wifi Direct at the same time, but I could not even connect the laptop and printer using Wifi Direct, so don't have high hopes.

Yes, my home is 12 years old, but builder did not install any Cat 5 cables. Infact, they cheaped out or had a deal with Rogers in that subdivision and did not even put a Telephone jack in the family room where i have my TV and Modem+Router. Makes it tricky to go DSL as you have to first install a Telephone jack, which I attempted, but could not fish wire from basement directly beneath the cable jack. Anyway, I am happy with Rogers so far. Had called techsupport when needed them to put Modem in Gateway mode and got a tech pretty fast. I have the Gigabit, but have not hit speeds above 300 mbs over wifi. Have to test over wired to a laptop that has gigabit lan port. Even 300 mbs is more than enough. What Rogers does not market clearly is that Gigabit is not 1 gbps connection, but rather allows several devices to connect and move heavy volume of data all at the same time without impacting each other. 

ErikH
I've been around

Hitron CODA-4582 - Work VPN Issues

Hi there,

I am having difficulty with my WiFi and work VPN host. I attempt to connect to my work VPN (Cisco client) and my wifi drops out. This happens over and over again and I have read on the forum that it may be a firmware issue? How would I update the firmware and is this the resolution? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Erik

RogersCilio
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @ErikH,

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums :).

I rely heavily on my Internet and VPN for work so I know how annoying and inconvenient degraded service can be. If you wish to participate with our firmware trials, please follow the instructions provided on our Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial thread.

Community, please feel free to chime in with support or insight :).

RogersCilio

nav2004
I plan to stick around

Well goodbye ASUS RT-AC86U.

You had lot of promises, but....but you keep dropping Wifi signal few times in a day and that was your basic job for a mid-range router.

So back you go and my search for a good router continues. Might have to give the TP Link Archer a try or just get a replacement and give AC86U another chance.

@nav2004 try this for the 86U wifi settings:

I'm assuming that you're already using WPA-2, AES for the encryption setting.

For the 2.4 Ghz Professional settings, set the following:

Roaming Assistant:  Disable

Bluetooth Coexistence:  Disable

Optimize AMPDU aggregation:  Enable

Airtime Fairness:  Disable
Multi-User MIMO:  Disable
Explicit Beamforming:  Disable
Universal Beamforming:  Enable

For the 5 Ghz General Setting:

Channel Bandwidth:  20/40/80

Control Channel:  149   (For higher output power in the higher channels)
Extension Channel:  Auto

For the 5 Ghz Professional Settings:

Roaming Assistant:  Disable

Bluetooth Coexistence:  Disable

Optimize AMPDU aggregation:  Enable

Airtime Fairness:  Disable
Multi-User MIMO:  Disable  (Assuming that you have no MU-MIMO devices in the home)
802.11ac Beamforming:  Enable  (Assuming that you have 802.11ac devices in the home)
Universal Beamforming:  Enable

Give those a try and see if they make any difference.  Of course, you might already have those set.  Next step would be to check out the wifi environment to see who you're competing with.  Are you running stock firmware or Merlin's Asuswrt?

FITIMS
I plan to stick around

Hey Guys,

It has been a while since my last post here but whenever in trouble I know where to turn and look for answers.

Recently I have upgraded my internet 500u package to gigabit speed. The wired speed definitely is in the range of 700-900mb/s while wireless is more likely around 500-700ish if lucky...

I am currently using the Hitron CODA-4582U (1A) modem with the firmware v. 2.0.10.36T4...and it has been OKAY, not the best thing out there, but I notice a lot of signal drops from time to time, same as speed on and off.

Now I realized rogers has rolled out the new "Ignite" modem which I believe is  the Arris XB6 Advanced Wi-Fi Modem.

Has anyone encountered any difference? is it better? same? worse?

All my devices at home are connected wirelessly. (only use a wired connection to test things).

Any help would be appreciated it if its work switching the modem.

Thanks everyone!!

lyfe12
I've been here awhile

Coda 4582 Bridging Issues

Got a new package recently and had to swap from the old CGN3  to the new one.  I tried bridging the connection by turning off the gateway residential setting so that I could use my own router instead. The connection works for like a couple of mins I would say around 5 before the internet cuts off. When this happens all the lights are still lit on the modem. I swapped the modem for a new one and had the same issue. I also factory reset my router in case it was some setting that was causing it. My router is a Asus AC68U.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@lyfe12 wrote:

Coda 4582 Bridging Issues

Got a new package recently and had to swap from the old CGN3  to the new one.  I tried bridging the connection by turning off the gateway residential setting so that I could use my own router instead. The connection works for like a couple of mins I would say around 5 before the internet cuts off. When this happens all the lights are still lit on the modem. I swapped the modem for a new one and had the same issue. I also factory reset my router in case it was some setting that was causing it. My router is a Asus AC68U.

Keep the modem in gateway mode for a day and see if the connection still drops. This will rule out the Rogers modem, or your Asus

WBarras
I plan to stick around
I went to Rogers today to try and swap my old CGN router to this one (checked of course to see if it was in stock, it was) and I was denied the upgrade. Is it only for new activations? I was under the impression my 150u plan was eligible? The rep said I would need a work order for them to process me one. I’m a little bit confused.

TNR
I've been around

I am not able to logon to CODA-4582U modem, using default user ID / password.  Can I have the User ID / password for this model?

Hi @WBarras & @TNR,

@WBarras, I realize the CODA modem has been quite popular with many of our customers.

When it comes to swapping your modem at the store, a work order is needed if swapping to a different model, so this would apply in your situation. If it is a "like for like" modem swap (same model), and your plan or promotion isn't changing, then no work order is required.

Please note that the CODA modem requires you to have a minimum of Ignite 500u internet or higher. Is there a specific reason you wanted to swap to a CODA modem? As the rocket modem and Advanced Wi-Fi modem should work fine if you have our Ignite 150u internet package.

@TNR, welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

If you have setup your Wi-Fi network using EasyConnect the default Username remains the same (cusadmin), but the Password that you need to use is the same as the Wi-Fi passphrase that you use to connect to your Wi-Fi Network.

Keep the Community updated if you continue to experience issues using those credentials!

RogersLaura

Makaveli99
I plan to stick around

I have a question about this.

The CODA (Puma 7 Modem)

Is the best modem you offer outside of the one bundled with Ignite TV.

Why is there this artificial limitation put in place locking its use only the the Higher Tier plans. There is no technical reason that the lower tier's can't use it.

And for me personally I would never use the service with anything lower.

netprice2high
I plan to stick around

I just got the CODA-4582 modem, never had it before, can someone please take a look at my signals? I only have 1 upstream channel is that normal? I thought there are supposed to be 3? Also what do the colors mean on the front LEDs? My downstream is purple and upstream LED is green.

The modem is in bridge mode atm. And I lost signals completely (modem rebooted itself) 2 times in 3 days.

Firmware version is 2.0.10.34T6.

There is an attenuator installed from a previous tech visit, however that was when I had the CGN3 modem.

@netprice2high call tech support and advise the Customer Service Rep that you only have one upstream channel running, yes, there should be three upstream channels.  Ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem.  It will fail automatically due to the single upload channel situation.  

The CSR should arrange for a tech visit at your convenience.  

I would remove the attenuator if it indicates 3 or 6 db.  A 9 db attenuator removal would probably result in signal levels that are too high.  The attenuator should be probably be removed altogether as the original signal levels will change when the tech addresses the cable and/or connector issue that is causing the single channel situation. 

The purple download indicator (it should be magenta) indicates that the modem is using DOCSIS 3.1 on the download side.  The upload side is still DOCSIS 3.0.

netprice2high
I plan to stick around

Thank you so much @Datalink. I will contact support.

just one more question, I went back to check my older screenshot folders and found that when I first plugged the modem in, it showed 3 upstream channels. Then after I changed it to Bridge mode, upstream reduced to 1 channel. It shouldn't matter which mode I put it in right?

Correct.  It won't matter which mode the modem is running, Gateway or Bridge.  You should still see three upload channels.  If you flipped the modem into Gateway mode, the reboot would temporarily resolve the issue and you would probably see three upload channels running.  But, some time later, probably not too long after the mode change, you would be back to a steady state single upload channel mode.  A modem reboot will temporarily resolve the issue, but it won't fix the underlying problem.  Only a tech visit will, or should result in fixing the ongoing problem.  If the CSR asks you to reboot the modem and then declares victory when three upload channels appear, thats just kicking the can down the road for the next CSR to handle.  That's not a solution to the problem.