Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

@Eusquesio can you have a look at the following post, specifically at the sections regarding wifi settings and monitoring your wifi environment:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/399949#M47222

I suspect that when you look at all of the other 2.4 Ghz modems and routers running nearby, you'll find that you have a lot of competition for any of those channels.  You might determine that the 2.4 Ghz band is hopeless due to the competition.  So, have a look at the post, load Acrylic and possibly inSSIDer and see whats running nearby.  inSSIDer is easy to use and understand, even if that version is a little old now, but for 2.4 Ghz channels its fine.  

I Plan to Stick Around

I have performed scans of any type, but the point is that I had absolutely no problems of any sort with my beloved cgn3ac. It was so fast! I have recently switched (for the second time) to the CODA and I have a feeling I will have to go exchange it again. I liked the idea that it has more antennas and that is mimo and other things, but wifi on this modem really sucks... at least compared to the cgn3ac. It is pretty much unusable downstairs where I could get a pretty good connection with my old modem. Anybody had the same problems with the CODA?

Could it be my firmware version? 2.0.10.28T2

Also, is it possible to disable WMM? I think it could help. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

First and foremost sorry to hear you have issues, I know how frustrating it can be to have slower wireless or hardware not acting up to its expectations.  There is indeed a newer firmware, it did not help much with my situation.  I sit at 3 meters from the modem (10 feet) and use wireless as my systems do not have any other options.  They are all AC wireless and I set the modem to only serve this.  The 5Ghz band is, however, less powerful than expected.  I think the placement of the modem is critical to support a full home, but in my case, this is not possible as my demarc is in my office.  I am thinking of looking into a mesh network to tie into the modem.  I hooked my work laptop in it with a wire and saw speeds around 700Mb down and 30Mb up which is not the best but acceptable.  Wireless on that laptop drops it down to 200Mb with the modem getting extremely hot to the touch - getting a bbq thermo to check the heat better.  Can you check your temperatures too?  I have mostly switched to 2.4, for now, to get coverage in all rooms in my little house.

I'm Here A Lot

@Datalink 

I agree that my router on paper should have sufficient computational resources to handle Gigabit internet; thus the reason i am surprised at how poorly it currently works. As i mentioned i am able to get good Intra-net speeds through the same router when pushing files between PC's in my home.  There must be some incompatibility between the Hitron and my router that is causing my issues, and as of now I have yet to isolate what the culprit is ( i have disabled everything on the factory firmware on this router). 

One new bit of news.. My brother who lives in the same neighborhood also upgraded yesterday to the same Rogers Gigabit internet and also received the exact same Hitron CODA-4582U modem, which he is using with the exact same model of Netgear router that i use.  I can report that he is also having the exact same issue i am facing.  So now i know that i am not alone with this issue. 

It is possible that it may be a firmware issue on my router. It currently has the newest factory firmware which was updated not to long ago as part of patching some serious security issues which were faced by pretty much every network hardware on the market. It is possible that in patching the security issues there may have been some performance penalties (although i would not have expected such performance hits to be this drastic). I would prefer to continue on the latest firmware or something newer, and not have to downgrade due to the patched security issues.

One thing i have also noticed is how my Hitron modem does not appear to have the latest firmware on it as reported by others here in this thread. I currently have the older 2.0.10.28T2. I have no idea if the newer firmware would help in any way regarding my issue.

So far i have done my tests by either being directly connected to the Hitron modem, or to my router, i have yet to do any testing of speeds once the internet is psssed through my various managed and un-managed gigabit switches. I can possibly try your other suggestion of putting a switch between the router and the modem, at some later date, in order to see if that helps shed further light on the issue. However i think based on what i have seen so far it really looks like its some compatibility issue between the modem and the router.  One thing i would like to try is using another router that is known to work well with this modem so i am open to suggestions from others who have a decent working setup with this modem.

Since you mentioned it, here are a few the sites i generally use to test speeds.

speedtest.net (various servers)

speedtest.googlefiber.net

performance.cira.ca

fast.com

speed test search in google which brings up google mlabs test

Steam downloads

Other downloads etc..

Thanks for your continued support and suggestions. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@mr_interested: a few random points.

It might be helpful if you mentioned which router you have.  Several different ones are named "Netgear Nighthawk".

As you said, your problem seems to be the router.  Fora dealing with routers, especially Netgear routers, are probably more helpful.  But do keep us up to date.

When replying to a message in such a long thread, consider saying at the top to whom you are replying and reviewing the context of your post.

As far as router reviews, I've found http://smallnetbuilder.com/ to be pretty good.

Because most router's firmware is closed source in some critical parts, most of the performance discussion treats it as a black box.  Often opinions that feel like superstition are put forward.  It is a bit of a mess.

One clear technical point, which you seem to know, is that many high-performance home routers have hardware support for NAT, that this hardware makes a significant difference at gigabit speeds, that this hardware only works in certain situations (i.e. with only a few options), and that this hardware is proprietary so that upstream linux kernels will probably never support it.  I mention this because the performance problem could be caused by this (although you seem to have tried to deal with this).  I don't know which options can cause performance problems.  (I don't use one of these routers.)

As gigabit speeds get more common, surely we'll get new routers engineered for these speeds.  On the other hand, fancy wireless routers for the home are hitting very high prices.  I'm getting more smug about my decision to use mini-PCs as my gateways.  I'm using Zotac ZBoxes that have two ethernet interfaces; I pick them up when I find them cheap.  But I've only done a tiny amount of performance testing.

I Plan to Stick Around

The R7000 Nighthawk by Netgear can do 900+ Mbps only without certain features on.  You must make sure that QoS is disabled, or you won't break 300. Sorry, I didn't read all of your posts or the thread history, but I had an R7000 and had the same thing. It is a Broadcom based SoC and they are only good for turning electricity in to heat.

The smallnetbuilder reports are basically when the device is 'cheating' by working as a switch that can do basic NAT.  QoS and other things can cause this "acceleration" to be disabled (because the feature requires inspecting packets) and the CPU just can't do it at gigabit rate.

The CODA-4852 should be superior to the R7000 in essentially every aspect.  If the wireless isn't great, and you think it's because of external antennas, you could try putting the R7000 in to AP mode and leaving the CODA to do the routing. This may also be ideal just because you dedicate devices - the R7000 will spend its time doing WPA/etc and the CODA will do the NAT.

Like @HughR, I too have dedicated appliances for routing, switching, and wireless access.

I Plan to Stick Around

What version firmware should my modem be at?

Currently 

Hardware Version1A
Software Version2.0.10.28T2

Hello, @TECHHEAD

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. The current production firmware is 2.0.10.33T3 and the modems should get updated during the regular maintenance window.

If your modem is not getting updated then please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps so that we can request the latest firmware push to your modem.  Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

So I recently got setup at my condo with Gigabit internet and it's been working well. My unit has rogers fiber to the unit then has a RFoG converter to coax. My understanding was that the I should basically have perfect signal on the modem since it goes directly from the RFoG converter to the modem. But my signals don't look all that great.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

0 is perfect.

But its a little high... but well within what should be fine without causing an issues though.
Always better to be a little on the high end (than lower).
Shouldnt start seeing any potential issues until in the +/- 10 range.