Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

@FITIMS wrote:
what router you recommend ?

See also SmallNetBuilder's Router Ranking.

I Plan to Stick Around

@DatalinkThanks for that thorough post. I will look into the ones you mentioned, but before we get to the router. My question is, is this the only alternative? Can we not fix the speed with the current CODA router/modem i have now?.

What is really driving me crazy is 3 weeks ago, I had the rocket modem (advanced wifi modem) in the 250u plan and I havent had a single issue with speed or any wifi interference. I was actually getting 350down speed.....The speed remained consistent throughout any device regardless where I was at home. The time came for an upgrade (which i thought was for the better and should be) and when I upgraded for a faster speed and everything went downhill.

Yesterday before I posted here, I called rogers again and spoke to tech support and asked them to just swap the modem to my old one... and they couldnt do it because its not compatible with the new plans... So then, he suggested the only way is if you go back to your old plan, and being as frustrated as I was I said yes, go back to the old plan...... of course waiting in line for over an hour and he couldnt do it because plan doesnt exist anymore and there was no way to get the old modem and then i just hung up because there was no solution coming after an hr and 20 mins.

So my point is, is this it?? There is no solution for this?? I never ever knew or was aware about fighting for a channel with the neighbours or whatever... speed was always perfect on my end...

There has to be a better and a simple solution for this? Thats why we PAY what we pay to rogers to make things easier for us and bring the speed we pay for. We shouldnt have to climb a mountain to get what we pay for...

Thanks again for everyone's input.

I Plan to Stick Around

There has to be a better and a simple solution for this? That's why we PAY what we pay to rogers to make things easier for us and bring the speed we pay for. We shouldn't have to climb a mountain to get what we pay for...

What you said. 100%

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

To coupe with all kind of loads at once, Hitron put generic CPU in, and got latency jitter issues. Do you want them to multiply? That's why people suggest to separate WiFi CPU load from modem signal high speed conversions by using specialized equipment such as user routers. On the other hand, I agree Rogers should charge lower rental fee for those who use only modem, but not "modem-router" features, and offer "modem only" hardware option in their plans.

I Plan to Stick Around

@arnym21I completely agree.

I just think Rogers is ahead of everyone here with technology and what is coming up next. They should have tested this CODA Router/Modem and see if it is ideal for their clientele. If having a separate modem and router is the better route then dont sell us something that doesnt meet the speed we pay for and you advertise. Only after you show some knowledge in this and they have nothing else to say they come back to you by saying "Well the advertised speed is based on a wired connection not WIFI" like really? that's your solution to the problem now?... BRAVO!!!

In a year or two there will be no wired connection anywhere other than offices. Every home is going wireless. Speaking personally I have no wired connection to internet. Haven't for the past 2 years.

Like I said, I dont want nothing more or less than I am paying for. We pay what we Pay so Rogers solves this issue for us and we shouldnt have to come online and become Network experts to solve their problems...

I am waiting for the new firmware to kick in and see what happens...

I Plan to Stick Around

@DatalinkThanks for your useful posts.

What do you mean by "Stateful IPv6"?  Are you referring to a packet filter that keeps state?  Or NAPT (heaven forbid on IPv6)?  Or something else?

Most to us are used to IPv4 with NAPT.  By accident that keeps many kinds of intrusions out.  For IPv6, a stateful packet filter would be needed to provide the kind of protection we're used to.

The annoying downside of NAPT is that any server or peer-to-peer applications need to do NAT traversal, a horrible set of hacks.  This was not contemplated when the internet was designed.  I, for one, will enjoy losing my shackles.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDaveCan you please push the firmware? Thank you

I Plan to Stick Around

@FITIMS wrote:

Are you serious? Did someone tell you, CODA will ever provide Gigabit speeds over WiFi? You better ask Dave, unless you're ready for eternal wait. Smiley Very Happy In fact, its not that easy to find a reasonably priced stand alone router that will do it in real life, not just claim in specs.

Better call Saul. Smiley Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

@FITIMS wrote:

"Well the advertised speed is based on a wired connection not WIFI" like really? that's your solution to the problem now?... BRAVO!!!

In a year or two there will be no wired connection anywhere other than offices. Every home is going wireless. Speaking personally I have no wired connection to internet. Haven't for the past 2 years.

1. Wireless will never be as fast as wired for consumer-grade equipment.  You should not expect it to be so.

2. Speak for yourself.  My PC will always be wired.

3. If you want faster WiFi, you're going to have to spend money for better equipment. The Rogers 2-in-1 solutions are chosen for cost-effectiveness and ease of support, not speed, or range, or reliability...

I'm a Senior Advisor

I will have to agree with @soupy on his points and suggest a couple of other realities.

I think in homes, as it stands with current technology that we will find a mix of wired and wireless technology.

In my own home, I have wired to 4 location, and I use one of them at the moment to make up for the deficiencies of the reality that in my neighbourhood, I have 23 2.4 Mhz connections that overlap into my home, and no channel will overload the overlap of all these networks.  I can only get a good connection within a few metres of my Hitron gateway, and 5 Mhz is an alternative, but unfortunately, although faster and minimal overlap with other signals, it doesn not get through walls and is impacted by interference from elecrtrical, mirrors, walls, etc.

At the moment I avoid the issue using a Dlink extender that is plugged into one of my wired ethernet jacks in the upper portion of the house away from all the concrete walls found in the structure of my home, with steel support beams.

It serves about 90% of my home quite fine, but there are two spots where I am close enough to the gateway so I switch to 2.4 in those two areas.  It will automatically switch over most of the times because the signal from the extender becomes too weak, drops and the stronger 2.4 gets picked up.

The reality is that as stated, we are getting combined modem/router gateways as it does give us an all in one device that will meet many people's needs, and there will be people who will want the ended features of a router, or need to deal with dead spots.  At this point, no technology can get around the reality of deadspots - 2.4 is a broad signal and gets through lots of stuff, but is highly impacted by overlap to the point of no signal connection due to dropped packets, and 5 is kind of like a very strong tight laser beam that goes very well from point a to b with no loss of strength, but stick an object in front of the beam and you lose the sginal = put a plexiglass screen in front and it weakens the signal - same is true with 5 Mhz WIFI.

There are new technologies in line for 3-5 years from now that may make up for it,  but at this time, many of us will have to consider the options to deal with the current technology, signal strength, obstacles and layout of our homes, and our neighbours too, along with our phones, microwaves and other devices.

Rogers and any company cannot promise how WIFI will work in our homes as we all have different equipment, layouts in our homes.

Sure it would be great if the companies chose to just give us a modem and let us choose the best router option for our needs, but integrated systems save the customer money, make it easier to support, and also facilitate more coordinated connections and support to their services like Anyplace TV, devices they support, home services, IPTV to come and so forth.

Many people will never need a router or extender (either wifi or cable supported - wifi didn't serve my needs, and fortunately my home is wired and my homes will always be wired).

Third party wholesalers like techsavy and local smaller providers actually don't sell gateways, they sell modems with routers, and you get the choice of what router system will work best for you.

So not to discredit what appears to be clear frustration about your WIFI reception, but the only thing companies, any company can assure is the wired connection to your gagteway and then to your device.  It is one of the reasons why so many offices and companies often don't use WIFI, except where they are providing guest services.

Yes, I went out and spent money to improve my wifi connections, but I can' blame Rogers for this, but it also means that Rogers will no longer support me if I call in about issues related to WIFI outside of their device.

Hope this clarifies some of the unfortunate realities.

Bruce