Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@daveinsurgent

You can find in this thread a bit what changes were made over time to trial FW. From your reply, you are the best equipped answering your own questions. We'll be waiting for your comments on this complemented by graphs and screenshots. They will also help FW team if properly documented.

rwgs
I've been here awhile

CODA-4582 wireless password character restriction

Hi, have just got a new 4582 router but cannot set a wireless password with special characters.  This worked before on the old CGN3 router, but not on this one.

Why is this restriction in place? how do i get rid of it???

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@rwgs wrote:

CODA-4582 wireless password character restriction

Hi, have just got a new 4582 router but cannot set a wireless password with special characters.  This worked before on the old CGN3 router, but not on this one.

Why is this restriction in place? how do i get rid of it???

@rwgs

I believe this is a firmware limitation, there is no way to get rid of it unless Rogers changes the firmware.

rwgs
I've been here awhile
well that's infuriating. Has nobody else reported this? it's been out for almost a year no?

with all the requests by rogers themselves telling you to make your password secure, what were they smoking when they thought this would be a good idea??

daveinsurgent
I plan to stick around

@rwgs password length is far more important anyway, as is the mechanism that the password is generated. 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rwgs this has been changed in firmware version 2.0.10.29   That has been superseded by follow-on trial versions, so, when one of the trial versions is approved as the next production version and released across the network, give your mixed passphrases another try. 

rwgs
I've been here awhile
How do I get on the trial?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rwgs to request the trial firmware follow this link @CommunityHelps to navigate to the @CommunityHelps page when you are signed into the forum. On the right hand side of the page is a link titled "Send this user a private message". Use that link to navigate to the next message composition page.  It will already be addressed.  

1.  Fill in the title with CODA-4582 Trial Firmware Request.
  2.  In the text area, include your request, including the modem MAC address and Serial number. The modem MAC address and serial number can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or copied from the data located in the Status page of the modem when you are logged into the modem.

Send that info to @CommunityHelps and you should see a reply later today or tomorrow.

When you're logged into the forum, watch for a number overlaying your avatar at the upper right hand corner. Follow the avatar link down to the message inbox to acknowledge the waiver that is required for the trial firmware.  When that is acknowledged, you should see the firmware loaded later today or tomorrow.  When you know that the firmware has been loaded, reboot or restart the modem.  Don't run a factory reset as that will return the modem back to 2.0.10.28T2

On the other hand, if you find that the trial version is causing problems with your particular use of the modem, running a factory reset will result in the modem reverting back to the current production firmware version on the network followed by a reboot back into Gateway mode.  You would have to reset the modem parameters once again unless you had previously created a backup file for that firmware version.  That would allow you to start setting up the modem for the basic parameters only, then reload the backup file and reboot the modem to complete the backup file reload.  

maria772
I've been here awhile

Is there a difference between CODA-4582 and CODA-4582U? Is this just an updated model?

The 'U" indicated an unbranded modem.  So, no Rogers corporate branding.  Other than that, its the same modem. 

ayosnato
I plan to stick around
Thanks. I will do that when I get home today. I find that with the new modem I keep on losing wifi connectivity and have to reboot my modem when it happens.
Rebooting should not revert me back to the current firmware, would it?

No, it will maintain it current firmware version.  Remind me later today to post further instructions to look at your wifi signals and possibly change some of the wifi settings.

ayosnato
I plan to stick around
Thanks. Will do that when I get home.

ayosnato
I plan to stick around
I am home now in case you want me to look at the wifi signals and settings

@RogersDave 

thanks for your reply, can you please let us know when the USB function will be enabled...

dakota
I've been here awhile

Well my friend welcome to the Rogers jerk around. I have had nothing but wifi issues with these modems and they keep giving me refurbs that already have this issue for 7 months now 4 units later. They know there is an issue with these but keep giving customers the same unit. I keep paying the same amount on my bill for internet yet have lousy service. numerous disconnects go along with mine. I so much hate Bell As they have screwed me over and I'm not even a customer but may have to to get reliable service. Good luck lol.

dallasdinatake
I plan to stick around
Get yourself a router.

Prospect
I plan to stick around

Any idea why I am seeing a loss in speed with an R7000 placed after Rogers Coda-4582 in bridge mode?

It's cutting the speed back by 100 mbps.

@lavo98 wrote:

@RogersDave 

thanks for your reply, can you please let us know when the USB function will be enabled...

On the CODA modem, the USB function is available. If it is not enabled on your modem, you can enable it in the Basic --> Gateway Function menu.

Keep in mind however that the gateway does not support USB 3.0 devices (it doesn't even fallback to USB 2.0 most of the time). This is a known issue and we are waiting for Intel to provide a correction.

--Dave

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@Prospect

Try folowing these suggestions. No guarantees though, your efforts are the only guarantee. Reports here any issues reflected in the modem and router logs. I know ideally you shouldn't put any efforts, but real life is always like that. Smiley Wink

@Prospect, your 100 Mb/s loss is possibly due to a lack of NAT Acceleration Enable/Disable switch on the R7000.  What firmware are you running, stock, or other?

The R7000 has a 1 Ghz Dual Core processor, which is probably at the bottom of the range of processors you might want to use with gigabit service.  And, if you happen to use QOS, traffic monitoring or any other function that is not compatible with Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding, known as NAT Acceleration, then those functions will disable the CTF and you will lose the faster throughput rates as a result.  From what I remember reading thru the manual for the R7000, there is not NAT Acceleration Enable/Disable switch, so the users wouldn't know its current state.  I don't know if Netgear has finally added such a switch or at least an indicator.  Without NAT Acceleration, you won't see higher throughput rates.

If you factory reset the R7000 and disable all functions except the firewall, followed by a speedtest using the www.speedtest.net Rogers Toronto or Montreal test servers, the results will tell you if in fact the R7000 has enough horsepower to run gigabit rates.  You should see approx 950 to 960 Mb/s on the downstream, 30 Mb/s or 56/58 Mb/s on the upstream depending on when you subscribed to the gigabit service.  You should be able to see those rates thru the modem, with a direct connection to the modem, and thru the router with only the firewall up and running.  If you do see that the router throughput is slightly reduced, that tells you that the R7000 with its 1 Ghz processor can't handle the higher data rates.  If so, the question is, do you want to run the router for speed, or for functionality, which will drop the throughput even further.  As an experiment, after a factory reset and speedtest, if you enable a function, run an immediate speedtest to determine what the effect it has on the data throughput.  That will give you instant feedback on the throughput cost of the selected function.

Fwiw, the Asus RT-AC68U only has an 800 Mhz processor.  With only the firewall, Trend Micro's AI Protection and wifi running, the top throughput is approx 900 to 910 Mb/s on the downstream, 58 Mb/s on the upstream which is the limit of the gigabit plan.  The modem will run 950 to 960 Mb/s on the downstream, 58 Mb/s on the upstream. 

At the end of the day this comes down to horsepower.  The more functions you want to run at gigabit rates, the greater the horsepower you will need to keep the througput up at the higher rates.  It may be time to look at other all in one routers with faster processors, or build a router with a faster processor and use PfSense, OpenSense, Sophos UTM or others as the operating system.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_R7000