Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

@Datalink wrote:

I suspect that all CMTS equipment is copper cable to the home on one side, fiber on the other side.  The same might be said for the MDUs, but, don't quote me on that one.  I suspect that for new highrise/condo/townhome, its fibre on one side, copper on the other.  That might be the same case for older buildings as well, just depends on the size of the building which in turn dictates the data requirements and from there any requirement for fibre feed.

My understanding is that everything in the headend is coax (so the actual ports on the actual CMTSs), then the coax signal for each node/service group/whatever-the-terminology-currently-is is converted to (analog) fiber by a simple conversion box. Then that fiber goes out of the headend to a box on the side of the street somewhere that converts it back to coax which then runs into homes... and I presume that big enough buildings would have their own such box in the basement.

There are also some newer Rogers RFoG FTTH deployment where you get fiber all the way to your home... and one of those fiber -> coax things in your basement converting it back to coax so you can use all your normal cable CPE. 

SFShakeel
I plan to stick around

@Datalink @gp-se

Do you have any idea about LAN port at the back of CODA Modem, I have replace it three times but unfortunately it is not recognizing my TV and other devices, Its connect only in 100M mode where green light is on at the back of modem, while at the back of TV Green and Yellow lights are on right beside LAN port. I spoke with Rogers they said its TV, I spoke with TV Manufacturer as well COSTCO support they said nothing is wrong with firmware. 

I have dlink d859 router when I connect cable to this router they connect on 1000M mode. I am not using Rogers supplied CAT5E cables, I have purchased CAT6 cables from Canada Computers as per the advise from Rogers tech support. I am also using BETA / Test firmware ending on .32

I was also advise to downgrade to Rogers Rocket Modem.

Please advise me if you have any idea. 

@SFShakeel the connected port LEDs at the back of the modem appear to be backwards from industry practice.  For whatever reason, Hitron uses amber for a 1 Gb/s port to port connection and green for a 10/100 port to port connection.  Everyone else appears to use the opposite, green for gigabit, amber for 10/100 Mb/s.

Its possible that the modem isn't recognizing the handshake sequence that the tv is looking for.  That was an issue for DLink routers when this modem was first introduced.  From what I remember, DLink doesn't use industry standard ethernet handshakes when one of their routers connect to a modem.  That was resolved with a firmware update to the modem.  

What you could probably to resolve this is to buy a gigabit switch, connect that to the modem and then use the other ports on the switch to connect to anything else.  That should resolve any handshake issues between devices.  That shouldn't be necessary, but it should work.  Gigabit switches with somewhere around 5 to 8 ports aren't terribly expensive, just have to make sure that the one that you buy is indeed a gigabit switch. 

So, are you running the modem in Bridge mode with the router connected and running in full router mode, or is the modem running in Gateway mode with the router running in Access Point mode ?  Just want to be sure that I understand what your network layout looks like.  

Whats the specific make and model of the tv?  I'd like to check the specs and user manual just to be sure of the port data rate.  

SFShakeel
I plan to stick around

@Datalink

I am not using Dlink any more since I see no difference in speed, I have 100/10 plan though on wifi sometimes it reaches over 195M (AC Only), but on LAN if I am using my laptop which has 1GB LAN and it connects on it since I can see amber light on at the back of the modem, but on speed test it won't go over 70M. 

I was thinking to buy a gigabit switch and I have seen some on Canada Computers under $20 from 4pt tplink 

The TV, I have is Hisense R6107 (Formerly Sharp).

http://hisense-canada.com/electronics/tv/55r6107

arnym21
I plan to stick around

Are there any other modem models currently approved for Rogers Ignite Gigabit plan? Possibly wired only, with less rent cost and faster actual Ethernet speeds? I'm mostl;y interested in Bridge mode operation. Will a DOCSIS 3.0 modem do well with 1Gbps down & 30 Mbps Up speeds? How can I choose a different modem if possible, and which model would you guys recommend for Bridge only mode, since I've a WiFi router? Also, what router models would be best for Ignite Gigabit plan, meaning no high router CPU load at gigabit speeds?

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@arnym21 wrote:

Are there any other modem models currently approved for Rogers Ignite Gigabit plan? Possibly wired only, with less rent cost and faster actual Ethernet speeds? I'm mostl;y interested in Bridge mode operation. Will a DOCSIS 3.0 modem do well with 1Gbps down & 30 Mbps Up speeds? How can I choose a different modem if possible, and which model would you guys recommend for Bridge only mode, since I've a WiFi router? Also, what router models would be best for Ignite Gigabit plan, meaning no high router CPU load at gigabit speeds?

Rogers only allows modems it's sells. You could try to call Rogers and ask if you can purchase the Hitron CODA 4582 Modem. I would assume it can be purchased since they charge a modem rental fee.

arnym21
I plan to stick around

Why would I need to purchase it to begin with? I'm surprised you pay so little attention to the question before giving comments like this. Smiley Surprised

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@arnym21 wrote:

Why would I need to purchase it to begin with? I'm surprised you pay so little attention to the question before giving comments like this. Smiley Surprised

You asked if there is another modem for gigabit, that is cheaper to rent but faster. I thought you meant to purchase, because I haven't heard of anyone asking for a cheaper but faster modem before. Regardless there is only two modems for Gigabit: CGN3ACSMR or CODA 4582. Both cost the same to rent, the CODA is faster because it uses DOCSIS 3.1, so less latency and uses OFDM. 

Those are the only two modems, both will provide 960Mb/s over Ethernet when used in bridge mode, or gateway mode. 

Hello @arnym21,

I totally understand why you'd be interested in purchasing the modem outright to avoid monthly rental fees. Regrettably, our Gateway Modems are not available to purchase outright.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Menthol
I've been here awhile

Can someone please tell how to set the CODA to use a router for wired/wireless. I just want to use the Coda as a modem. I tried disabling both wireless and disable Residential gateway and that does not give a signal to the router. Asus RT-AC1750

What exactly else should I be doing? Should I have to change setting at DCHP. I'm looking for a clear cut answer just to get the wired/wireless thru the router to prevent disconnection of the WiFE  (that's right you read it correctly) Wireless work whenever it feels like. Very Frustrating.

Back In the day when I had my SB5100 and Linksys WRTGN, they would run for years without ant issue. 

@Menthol, to run the modem in Bridge mode only:

1.  Log into the modem, navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab.

2.  Disable the Residential Gateway Function.

3.  Save the setting.

The modem will reboot into Bridge mode.

4.  If you're arriving from another ISP or from another modem, run a factory reset on the router to clear out the previous settings that were used with the previous modem. 

5.  After the factory reset, reboot the router with the ethernet cable connected from the modem's bottom port to the WAN port of the router.  

The router should pick up its IP address from the modem after the router reboot is complete. 

Have a look at the back of the modem, specifically the connected port LED.  It should be flashing amber indicating a 1 Gb/s connection with the router.  A green flashing LED indicates a 10/100 Mb/s connection. Those colours as used on the Hitron modems appear to be backwards when compared to every other device in use. 

If for some reason, you can see via the connected port LED that the modem and router are communicating at 1 Gb/s as expected, but, the router doesn't pick up an IP address, leave the router powered up and restart the modem.  Pull the power from the modem, and 10 to 15 seconds later plug it back in to force a restart.  I've noticed on my 4582 that plugging a pc into the modem, with the modem up and running in Bridge mode, results in no IP address on the pc.  So a modem restart usually resolves that.  The restart shouldn't be required, but, it appears that there is some issue these days with the DHCP server in the modem.  

Menthol
I've been here awhile
Thank you kind Sir. I was using the top port. I guess you always have to start at the bottom and work your way up...lol.

thebooth
I've been here awhile

Is anyone able to confirm that Rogers is still experiencing this weird issue of people not being able to activate their new modems? 

I upgraded my internet service last week and was told to get the new modem in order to experience the higher speeds.  I got this modem Sunday afternoon and have been without internet access since then.  The Rogers tech support person I spoke with over the phone said it was a Rogers issue and would be resolved in 24 hrs or so.

MegnaGaming
I plan to stick around

Yeah, I switched my modem out on Saturday and didn't get connected to the internet again until this morning sometime... Wasn't super impressed about that. I heard some people are still having issues.

That being said @RogersDave how do I go about having my old modem removed from the beta trials and this new one added on?

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@MegnaGaming

You can send your new modem MAC address and S/N to Dave via private message. It looks like Dave is busy right now so I'm hoping by Friday he can get caught up with the community. 

For the users who switched from their older modems to the new white CODA-4582U modem, are you currently on an unlimited plan, or are you on a capped plan? It seems that Rogers is trying to migrate a lot of users from the older CGN modems to the new ones due to the great benefits that DOCSIS 3.1 has (lower latency, is more resilient to noise, and increased bandwidth so gigabit users can easily hit 940Mbps). OFDMA is on it's way so there is more benefits with that.

tyreman
I plan to stick around

Yes got a new U series yesterday, old one was acting up .

When I got new one home it wouldn't sync up. 

Called in, opened ticket was told would be a delay on the new modems startup.

Last night around 11:30ish it synced up.

All Good now running bridged with router on it

tyreman
I plan to stick around

What is the main difference between the U series and the previous version?

updates to 3.1?

The U series is not branded with the Rogers logo, etc, etc.  Other than that, its the same modem.  

robw83
I've been around

New Modem- Ports limit to 100M

The ports on my Modem are limited to 100M, not giving me the ability to go to 1000M, 

I have tested with devices confirmed of 1000M crossover to eachother. 

MY switch is a 1000M tested and confirmed, the old Modem work on the switch at 1000M, 

Is there a backdoor to alter it? 

tyreman
I plan to stick around

Thank you Datalink

I had looked about and couldn't detect much difference

arnym21
I plan to stick around

I'm using production FW on this modem. When I switch Gateway feature off, Rogers server assigns a new IP to my 3rd party gateway router, which is from a different slow IP pull compare to the internet IP assigned to the modem in Gateway mode. As a result, Rogers Speed Test shows internet speed dropped twice below the original level. Once I switch the modem back to Gateway mode, it gets its original IP from Rogers server, and speeds increases back twice, despite my router is still hooked to the modem-router, so nothing else changes on LAN. My question is, why my 3rd party router gets an IP from a slow pull, and how I can trigger hand over of the modem gateway IP to it when switching Gateway feature off, or at least an IP from the same fast pull?