Did you mean: 

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

senordd
I plan to stick around

I'm curious, is there any noticeable benefit to getting this modem or is it just a case of trying out a new toy?  Are people finding that the wifi range is better with this modem? Are transfer speeds more stable with this modem?

Thanks for responding. We have taken this information to management to see if we can get confirmation from Roger's engineering team on this matter. It has been a challenging deployment for us as there are so many new variables included in this setup where we've never tested or have any baselines; new Cisco hardware, new ipsec config (dynamic tunnels), VPN over 1Gb cable service.

We are getting speeds over 25 Mbps. I've looked at the link provided and the ESP processing is only listed to affect the CGN3ROG model. Btw, if we use NAT-T does it bypass processing the packets using CPU?

As a customer, we have no choice over the modem. This was the modem provided to us when using the 1 Gb service.

senordd
I plan to stick around

I have a GN3 (not exactly sure which model) so I was wondering if there was any benefit to swapping it with the CODA-4582

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@senordd wrote:

I have a GN3 (not exactly sure which model) so I was wondering if there was any benefit to swapping it with the CODA-4582

@senordd

There are benefits in the form that the new modem runs DOCSIS 3.1 which helps to improve latency. Also the Rogers network is being tuned for DOCSIS 3.1, so I would suggest swapping the modem for the new CODA 4582. As long as you're on an unlimited internet plan you are eligible to swap the modem at the nearest Rogers store.

stefer009
I plan to stick around

To me the wifi range is better than my previous one.  I had to setup my own router with my former modem just to have wifi outside on my deck (i live in an appartment).  With this one it's not required as i get full signal outside.

You'd need it with gigabit service, not sure for 500u but they'd tell you.

Transfer speeds... not sure, mine was stable on my older one for the 250u internet service.  With gigabit, the speedtests are consistant for sure... Not many services can supply gigabit downloads though.  So far the best i've seen is with Steam, downloading at 56MB/s last night, which is roughly 450Mbit.

@danielct, don't know about the NAT-T answer for you. The one person who can probably address this question directly is @RogersDave.  I've noticed that he is around today, so, I'm hoping he will answer this for you very soon, as in today. 

@danielct wrote:

Thanks for responding. We have taken this information to management to see if we can get confirmation from Roger's engineering team on this matter. It has been a challenging deployment for us as there are so many new variables included in this setup where we've never tested or have any baselines; new Cisco hardware, new ipsec config (dynamic tunnels), VPN over 1Gb cable service.

We are getting speeds over 25 Mbps. I've looked at the link provided and the ESP processing is only listed to affect the CGN3ROG model. Btw, if we use NAT-T does it bypass processing the packets using CPU?

Hi @danielct,

The issue with IPSec was indeed a real problem in the past but hasn't been reported lately. I was hoping it was resolved on the CODA-4582 but will have to get some clarifications on to this.

I do however strongly suspect that it only affects pure ESP packets (IP Protocol 50) and going in NAT-T mode will substantially help with this matter. If you can try it and let me know it would be appreciated.

As a side note, you are running your modem in bridge mode or gateway mode?

Once I have your feedback on NAT-T performance, I will circle back with Hitron but I suspect that this is an Intel issue which means that it can take a few months for a fix to arrive but let's start at step 1.

Dave

@RogersDave

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The modem is running in bridge mode and our ASA gets the public IP via DHCP.

I don't have much exposure to NAT-T as we never had the requirement to run IPSEC over a PAT device. Based on Cisco online documentation, enabling NAT-T first checks end to end if there is a NAT device along the path. It only uses encapsulated the ESP packet over UDP 4500 only if a NAT device is found along the transit path which we do not have.  UDP is connectionless, so I don't know what other impact it will have on the network. I need to do more research on this.

Few questions:

1. Are there modems that support 1G throughput that are not affected by ipsec slowness due to the intel chip?

2. Do Hitron post figures (or data sheets) about their ipsec (ESP) throughput on these modem? If we aren't hitting the maximum throughput tested by the Vendor, it may be something else contributing to the problem.

@danielct wrote:

@RogersDave

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The modem is running in bridge mode and our ASA gets the public IP via DHCP.

I don't have much exposure to NAT-T as we never had the requirement to run IPSEC over a PAT device. Based on Cisco online documentation, enabling NAT-T first checks end to end if there is a NAT device along the path. It only uses encapsulated the ESP packet over UDP 4500 only if a NAT device is found along the transit path which we do not have.  UDP is connectionless, so I don't know what other impact it will have on the network. I need to do more research on this.

Few questions:

1. Are there modems that support 1G throughput that are not affected by ipsec slowness due to the intel chip?

2. Do Hitron post figures (or data sheets) about their ipsec (ESP) throughput on these modem? If we aren't hitting the maximum throughput tested by the Vendor, it may be something else contributing to the problem.

Rogers currently does not have any non Intel based cable modem so that is not an option.

Regarding the figures, no they don't but based on the speeds you are posting, it really looks like the traffic is not using hardware acceleration.

Based on your comments, it raises another questio. Is this traffic UDP based (Eth/IP/UDP) - RFC3948 or straight ESP (Eth/IP/ESP)? If don't see why the modem would have a hard time handling UDP encapsulated IPSec but I can understand why ESP would be broken.

--Dave

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

DNS Proxy Status - Should this be kept enabled or disabled?

I was looking at the CODa-4582 settings and noticed that the DNS Proxy Status was enabled.  I just wanted to know what the advantage/disadvantage is to keeping this enabled.

Thanks

@Alex4161 wrote:

DNS Proxy Status - Should this be kept enabled or disabled?

I was looking at the CODa-4582 settings and noticed that the DNS Proxy Status was enabled.  I just wanted to know what the advantage/disadvantage is to keeping this enabled.

Thanks

I believe this setting allows the cable modem to cache dns lookups, but I'm not 100%

@RogersDave

This traffic we are currently sending is just native ESP packet (tunnel mode) so it will be ETH/IP/ESP/original IP packet encrypted

NAT-T wouldn't work since we do not have a NAT device in the transit path so native ESP will be used. I'm looking at testing ipsec-over-udp this week: ETH/IP/UDP/ESP/original IP packet encrypted

James_Greene
I plan to stick around

Currently, I am set up on my WIFI network with 5G.  So tonight, I wanted to install my printer as well.  The printer could not find my SSID.  I thought it was probably because my printer doesn't recognize 5G.  So I went into my router settings and enabled my 2.4G.  The printer could still not find the SSID.  So I checked on my other devices and my other devices could not find my SSID either.  When I first got my modem/router, my devices other than my printer were all able to see both SSIDs (2.4G and 5G).  I have the 2.4G enabled but no device recognizes it.  Am I missing something here?  Do I have to reset the modem or something?  

Thanks for your help and feedback.

James_Greene
I plan to stick around

Tried to edit my previous post regarding my printer but could not find the EDIT button.

I just wanted to also ask this question which I find strange.  When I go and change the "Wireless Enabled" setting to "OFF" for my SSID, I am still able to see my SSID with my WIFI devices and I am still able to get WIFI access.  I am wondering if I need to do something after saving my changes.  I did log out and close the router admin page and did restart my computer too.

Thanks again.

@James_Greene wrote:

Tried to edit my previous post regarding my printer but could not find the EDIT button.

I just wanted to also ask this question which I find strange.  When I go and change the "Wireless Enabled" setting to "OFF" for my SSID, I am still able to see my SSID with my WIFI devices and I am still able to get WIFI access.  I am wondering if I need to do something after saving my changes.  I did log out and close the router admin page and did restart my computer too.

Thanks again.

At this point I would do a factory reset and set everything back up from scratch. To perform a factory reset use a pen tip or similar to press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds then release. The modem will reboot and you'll need to run setup again.

James_Greene
I plan to stick around

@gp-se wrote:

@James_Greene wrote:

Thanks again.

At this point I would do a factory reset and set everything back up from scratch. To perform a factory reset use a pen tip or similar to press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds then release. The modem will reboot and you'll need to run setup again.

Thanks.  That did the trick.  Seems to be working after the factory reset.  I decided to turn off the 2.4 band and just continue with the 5G band.  However, now my download speed is only about 45Mbps.  Before the reset, I was getting over 200Mbps.  

@James_Greene, try the following to resolve the data rate issue:

Check/set the following 2.4 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode:  802.11 n

Channel Bandwidth:  20/40 Mhz, although, for test purposes you could set this to 20 Mhz.  In a crowded wifi environment, I would set this for 20 Mhz.  It would most likely default down to 20 Mhz anyway.

Wireless channel:  AUTO or, to an open channel if one existed, or to the channel that offers the least interference from neighboring routers and modems

WPS Enabled:  OFF

Security Mode:  WPA-Personal

Auth Mode:  WPA2-PSK

Encrypt Mode:  AES only

Save the setting and ensure that the Encrypt Mode stays on AES only.  If it changes on its own to TKIP/AES, change it back to AES only and save the setting again.  TKIP is no longer secure and will cause the wifi data rates to cap at 54 Mb/s which is the 802.11g rate.

Check/set the following 5 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode:  802.11 a/n/ac mixed

Channel Bandwidth:  80 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 40 Mhz

Wireless channel:  149 to 161

WPS Enabled:  OFF

Security Mode:  WPA-Personal

Auth Mode:  WPA2-PSK

Encrypt Mode:  AES only

Once again, save the setting and ensure that the Encrypt Mode stays on AES only.  If it changes on its own to TKIP/AES, change it back to AES only and save the setting again.  

Reboot the modem if you had to make any changes, ADMIN ..... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot.

Look at your wifi environment using one of the following applications:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

Or,

For IOS

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/network-analyzer-lite-wifi/id562315041?mt=8

For Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

In the modem itself, if you have a CODA-4582, there is a wifi Site Survey under ADMIN .... DIAGNOSTICS.  Since it uses all three of the 2.4 Ghz antenna and all four of the 5 Ghz antenna, its fairly sensitive compared to a laptop or phone.  The user interface isn't great, but, you can copy all of the data in one go and dump it into something like MS Excel, where you can sort it any way you want.

Thats the last freebie version of inSSIDer and at this point in time is getting a little old.  Its fine for 2.4 Ghz application and does work for 802.11n 5 Ghz networks.  It does display 802.11ac networks but not as well as it should.  This has become a licenced application now for $20 US and works very well for both frequency bands, 2.4 and 5 Ghz.  

The other applications are fine for 802.11ac.  Acrylic is graphical, WifiInfoView is text only.  

What you want to do is determine what channels in the 149 to 165 range are occupied and if so, which offers the least competition in terms of signal level for any given channel.  If you can find a channel or channel range in that group that is not occupied, that will be the best choice.  

Ok, have a look at the wifi settings and set the 5 Ghz channel to the best possible choice and see how this turns out.

James_Greene
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the information Datalink.  The download speed was better this morning.  I did turn WPS to OFF.  And I did manually set the channel for my 2.4 band.  It appears when I'm running a speed test against a server in Ottawa I might get about half or 2/3 the Mbps versus running a speed test against a server in Montreal.

However, my webpages are opening fairly quickly regardless.  And I'm able to stream some 4K videos without any lag so I guess I shouldn't be too concerned about the speed numbers.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Not sure this is the correct spot:

Just got a Hitron new white tower 4582 modem - looks nice, seems to work great so far.  My CGN was flaky so when I renewed service mix, they gave me this one - I am on 75D with 500 GB cap.

I was hoping to do as I had with the CGN and plug my portable 4 TB 3.0 drive in and use it and was happy to hear that USB was 3.0 compatible so could take full advantage of the drive - CGN was 2.0

Well, set up the drive, it showed up fine, mapped it fine - after remembering that the recommended drive map is wrong in the Hitron modems - somebody doesn't know their network mapping and directory network naming very well - backward slashes \ not forward//.

Well worked great, got access from all my devices and mapped.

Decided to unplug it and try plug it into my laptop (it is only 2.0 usb).  When I went back to the modem, the drive no longer is detected - it is powered and running but not detected.

2 other usb2.0 drives detected ok, and a couple of usb sticks, but not the 3.0  One time only.

Anybody have any success at dealing with this - I know the USB port for NAS on the Hitron routers have been flaky from day one and Shaw still turns them off and it was rumored that Rogers turned them off for a while, but do not support them because they are not reliable, and not part of their support framework.

Any ideas - I don't really care - maybe someday they will get this modem stable and get all feature sets running properly.

Thanks in advance, Bruce

SFShakeel
I plan to stick around

Hi Community - I am having issue with LAN Port connectivity since it is connecting only on 100M not gigabit, As per my SmartTV specs it has gigabit connection. I am using CAT6 cable and light right beside LAN port back of the TV are Green and Orange, but Rogers CODA modem is showing it as 100M and light at the back of modem is green.

I spoke with tech support they are clueless, further earlier I was advise to swap with different CODA modem which I did but same issue. Other option was given to exchange it with Rogers Rocket modem.

Also, my laptop connects with Gigabit connection using CAT6 cable, but speedtest gives hardly 60M download and my WiFi AC has over 195M download speed.  Please advise if any of you have any idea how to fix these issues