Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

@danielct slow IPSEC throughput has already been noted on the Hitron CGN3xxxx and CODA-4582 modems.  That isn't necessarily a bug, depending on your point of view.  More likely a design choice made by Intel in terms of running the packet processing for IPSEC traffic through the CPU instead of the hardware accelerator/processor on Puma 6 and 7 modems.  The Puma 6 modem is used worldwide, so this problem is seen with other ISPs as well.  Puma 7 (CODA-4582) modems are seeing wider distribution now but the issue is unchanged from the Puma 6 modems as seen from other user comments on this issue.  This has been raised previously but I haven't seen any posts regarding changes for IPSEC processing.  This issue is mentioned at the bottom of the following post which details the firmware updates for the various modem models used by Rogers.  @RogersDave might be able to provide an update on this issue.  

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/FEEDBACK-Rogers-Rocket-Wi-Fi-Modem-Firmware-Trial/m-p/...

Edit:  The fact that the IPSEC throughput is approx 25 Mb/s does not imply traffic shaping by the ISP, as is indicated in other posts on this issue.  This is an in the weeds issue that Tech Support at any ISP would not have any knowledge of.  It would take a systems engineer with access to the firmware, either directly or thru the manufacturer to determine how the Puma 6 and 7 modems handle IPSEC traffic, which in this case turns out to be throttled in comparison to the modems non-IPSEC throughput.   

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm curious, is there any noticeable benefit to getting this modem or is it just a case of trying out a new toy?  Are people finding that the wifi range is better with this modem? Are transfer speeds more stable with this modem?

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for responding. We have taken this information to management to see if we can get confirmation from Roger's engineering team on this matter. It has been a challenging deployment for us as there are so many new variables included in this setup where we've never tested or have any baselines; new Cisco hardware, new ipsec config (dynamic tunnels), VPN over 1Gb cable service.

We are getting speeds over 25 Mbps. I've looked at the link provided and the ESP processing is only listed to affect the CGN3ROG model. Btw, if we use NAT-T does it bypass processing the packets using CPU?

I'm Here A Lot

As a customer, we have no choice over the modem. This was the modem provided to us when using the 1 Gb service.
I Plan to Stick Around

I have a GN3 (not exactly sure which model) so I was wondering if there was any benefit to swapping it with the CODA-4582

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@senordd wrote:

I have a GN3 (not exactly sure which model) so I was wondering if there was any benefit to swapping it with the CODA-4582

@senordd

There are benefits in the form that the new modem runs DOCSIS 3.1 which helps to improve latency. Also the Rogers network is being tuned for DOCSIS 3.1, so I would suggest swapping the modem for the new CODA 4582. As long as you're on an unlimited internet plan you are eligible to swap the modem at the nearest Rogers store.

I'm Here A Lot

To me the wifi range is better than my previous one.  I had to setup my own router with my former modem just to have wifi outside on my deck (i live in an appartment).  With this one it's not required as i get full signal outside.

You'd need it with gigabit service, not sure for 500u but they'd tell you.

Transfer speeds... not sure, mine was stable on my older one for the 250u internet service.  With gigabit, the speedtests are consistant for sure... Not many services can supply gigabit downloads though.  So far the best i've seen is with Steam, downloading at 56MB/s last night, which is roughly 450Mbit.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@danielct, don't know about the NAT-T answer for you. The one person who can probably address this question directly is @RogersDave.  I've noticed that he is around today, so, I'm hoping he will answer this for you very soon, as in today. 

Network Architect
Network Architect

@danielct wrote:

Thanks for responding. We have taken this information to management to see if we can get confirmation from Roger's engineering team on this matter. It has been a challenging deployment for us as there are so many new variables included in this setup where we've never tested or have any baselines; new Cisco hardware, new ipsec config (dynamic tunnels), VPN over 1Gb cable service.

We are getting speeds over 25 Mbps. I've looked at the link provided and the ESP processing is only listed to affect the CGN3ROG model. Btw, if we use NAT-T does it bypass processing the packets using CPU?

Hi @danielct,

The issue with IPSec was indeed a real problem in the past but hasn't been reported lately. I was hoping it was resolved on the CODA-4582 but will have to get some clarifications on to this.

I do however strongly suspect that it only affects pure ESP packets (IP Protocol 50) and going in NAT-T mode will substantially help with this matter. If you can try it and let me know it would be appreciated.

As a side note, you are running your modem in bridge mode or gateway mode?

Once I have your feedback on NAT-T performance, I will circle back with Hitron but I suspect that this is an Intel issue which means that it can take a few months for a fix to arrive but let's start at step 1.

Dave

I'm Here A Lot

@RogersDave

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The modem is running in bridge mode and our ASA gets the public IP via DHCP.

I don't have much exposure to NAT-T as we never had the requirement to run IPSEC over a PAT device. Based on Cisco online documentation, enabling NAT-T first checks end to end if there is a NAT device along the path. It only uses encapsulated the ESP packet over UDP 4500 only if a NAT device is found along the transit path which we do not have.  UDP is connectionless, so I don't know what other impact it will have on the network. I need to do more research on this.

Few questions:

1. Are there modems that support 1G throughput that are not affected by ipsec slowness due to the intel chip?

2. Do Hitron post figures (or data sheets) about their ipsec (ESP) throughput on these modem? If we aren't hitting the maximum throughput tested by the Vendor, it may be something else contributing to the problem.