Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

So what to do if your IP gets leaked which is very easy to do, and you're getting ddosed? ISPs give ZERO protection over this and its really stupid they don't
I'm Here A Lot

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@brad102 wrote:
So what to do if your IP gets leaked which is very easy to do, and you're getting ddosed? ISPs give ZERO protection over this and its really stupid they don't

I hate to sound insensitive, but two things:

1) If multiple gigabits/sec of traffic are headed to one of their IPs, the ISP's network is being strained no matter whether the destination system is up or not, 

2) it would be the utmost of cruelty for somebody who attracts a DDoS to then hand that IP back to the ISP's pool and suddenly it gets reassigned to some random person who suddenly finds themselves on the receiving end of some nasty DDoS.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you know that you're being subjected to a DOS attack, change the modem, which will result in a new IP address.  

When the current IP address goes out of service as you're out changing the modem, that DOS attack shouldn't cause issues for anyone else, unless, by misfortune, that particular IP address is reassigned right away to another user. Don't know what the odds are of that happening.  You would think that would be a few spare IP addresses available at the CMTS so that the timeframe when the original IP address is put back into use would be days if not weeks down the road. 

If you happen to be running the modem in Bridge mode with a router behind it, clone another IP address from your LAN using the router's IP address clone function and restart the router.  That will result in a different IP address. 

I've Been Here Awhile

@VivienM wrote:

@ep7 wrote:

@RogersDave any ETA for when 4+TB NTFS USB3.0 drives will be supported on the USB port?

Even a 500MB NTFS USB2.0 thumb drive is not being recognized, so looks like NTFS support is still lacking.

I've only managed to get smaller FAT32 USB2.0 drives to work so far with 20+ variations I've tried...

I'm running .27 firmware and the "USB Storage" functionality appears under the Admin tab.

Why would you WANT to run NTFS on a Hitron gateway?!

NTFS is a complicated, complicated beast. I'm not sure where the Linux community is at in terms of having a stable read-write-capable NTFS driver; I think they finally got one working a few years ago after over a decade of work. Apple does not include write-capable NTFS support in OS X, so they clearly don't want to touch it for some reason (you can get commercial, third-party NTFS drivers for OS X). And these are developers with a much better record of quality code than Hitron's gateways...

I guess the bottom line is - I don't understand why you'd ever want to trust data to a non-MS NTFS implementation. I see the risk of data loss as being too high.

Are the Hitron gateways Linux-based? If yes, I wonder whether a ext4 drive would work?

I was following up with @RogersDave  per his comments from message 1395.

I'd love it if ext3 or ext4 was supported by this modem, but it appears that only FAT and NTFS filesystems are supported, so that's what I was testing out...

From the USB Storage Help screen:

The file systems supported include the Window's FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS.

Network Architect
Network Architect

@ep7 wrote:

I'd love it if ext3 or ext4 was supported by this modem, but it appears that only FAT and NTFS filesystems are supported, so that's what I was testing out...

From the USB Storage Help screen:

The file systems supported include the Window's FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS.

I was following up with @RogersDave  per his comments from message 1395.

Good catch. Requested from Hitron to confirmed if NTFS not working is a bug or someone that was too optimistic when the help screen was written...

Dave

I've Been Around

@RogersDave So what's the status on this? I'm looking in my admin settings and I see the storage option and can see my connected device but I can't figure out how to use it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Modem Upgrade

I just swapped my old modem for the new gigabit one I was getting 92mbps on speedtest and now I get about 197 with the new does it take a bit to "switch over" to the new speeds?  

Thanks Smiley Happy

Mike

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chemical1 did you switch over to a gigabit plan as well?  If so, then you should see approx 940 to 950 Mb/s down max, and 30 Mb/s up.  You might see slightly higher on the upstream test, maybe by 2 or 3 Mb/s as a guess.  

Was the speedtest done via ethernet or wifi, and if its wifi, was that via 2.4 or 5 Ghz wifi network?

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi yes over Ethernet, right after I set it up.  Did switch to the free trial of the Gigabit.

Thank you for your reply Smiley Happy