Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kevyh, there are a couple of issues here, the first is USB access to the hard drive, the second is DLNA.  

Using the USB drives to access an external hard drive on a Hitron modem has always been painful, and there have always been limits on the drive size and formatting.  I haven't seen any documentation that shows the drive sizes, formats that the modem will accept, and mapping procedure to access the drives on the 4582.  

As for DLNA, the modem has an integrated DLNA Media Server with support for video, audio and image serving but, I haven't seen any documentation on this or any indication that its enabled in the modem.  

Not trying to punt here, but @RogersDave is the person to answer these questions.  Hopefully he will have time in the near future to answer your questions. 

@Curr0380, the Hitron modems have never been known for stellar wifi performance.  Having said that, can you have a look at the following post, specifically at the sections on wifi parameters and monitoring the wifi environment to determine the best operating channel:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Hitron-CODA-4582-Hardware/m-p/397159#M46192

Changing the wifi parameters and operating channel might resolve part of the problem.

Fwiw, trial firmware version 2.0.10.30 is expected very shortly, which will include improvements to the wifi performance.  The current firmware version for the 4582 is V2.0.10.27 which your modem should be running.  That can be seen on the STATUS tab, Software (firmware) version section.  It might be worth loading V2.0.10.30 when its available to determine if that will provide sufficient performance gains to resolve your wifi problem, along with changes in the wifi parameters and operating channel.  If not, then it might be time to consider buying a router with external antenna.  Here is the latest post on the version updates:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/CODA-4582-Open-Issues-for-Investigation/m-p/397658#M46...

To request the trial firmware follow this link @CommunityHelps to navigate to the @CommunityHelps page when you are signed into the forum. On the right hand side of the page is a link titled "Send this user a private message". Use that link to navigate to the next message composition page. It will already be addressed.  

1. Fill in the title with CODA-4582 Trial Firmware Request.

2. In the text area, include your request, including the modem MAC address and Serial number. The modem MAC address and serial number can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or copied from the data located in the Status page the modem when you are logged into the modem.

Send that info to @CommunityHelps and you should see a reply later today.

When you're logged into the forum, watch for a number overlaying your avatar at the upper right hand corner. Follow the avatar link down to the message inbox to acknowledge the waiver that is required for the trial firmware. When that is acknowledged, you should see the firmware loaded later today or tomorrow. When you know that the firmware has been loaded, reboot or restart the modem. Don't run a factory reset as that will return the modem back to 2.0.10.27

Curr0380
I've been here awhile

I will try try changing the operating channel and request firmware update.

Thanks

@Curr0380, that request will also place your modem on the trials list, where the modem will receive the trial versions which eventually become the firmware production versions for the modem.  That time differential can be in the order of 1 to 2 months, moving from trial status to final production version which is then distributed to the 4582s across the network.  At any time you can ask to have the modem removed from the trial program.  

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

@Kevyh wrote:

DLNA 

New Rogers customer with the new CODA-4582.

I have 1TB NTFS formatted hard drive attached to the modem. I can see the drive fine and map it to my PC on the same network and media stream via SMB to a Kodi box on a TV; however, the drive is not visible to either my PS3 or PS4 on the same network. The drive was visible when attached to an ASUS RT-AC56U.

The PS4 does not support SMB.

Am I correct in assuming that this CODA router does not support DLNA media streaming?

Hi,

How exactly did you manage to get the USB port to work at all? I was under the impression that it was disabled under the current firmware and there are no visible configuration pages on my modem for it. I tried using one of the USB keys that I was using in the CNG3ACSMR and it doesn't show up on my 2.0.10.27 CODA-4582 at all. 

I still haven't received the 2.0.10.29 firmware yet. Is it enabled in there?

@zardoz99, log into the modem and look for the ADMIN .... USB Storage tab.  I don't know if its in V2.0.10.27.  It is included in V2.0.10.29.

I'm assuming that the modem will auto-detect the USB disk after the Shared Status has been enabled.  Don't know if the Shared Status has to be enabled before or after the USB disk is attached.  After the disk has been detected, you would probably have to map the drive in order to have any access to it.

As for DLNA, I don't know if its enabled as there is no status indication in the user interface, or enable/disable function for it.

19_ADMIN - USB Storage.jpg

Kevyh
I've been here awhile

I'm not sure of my firmware version # (I'll check when I have a chance). In the router config panel under one of the tabs is a USB tab and it shows whether or not a USB drive is connected. There are no other settings that I could find regarding the drive. I called tech support but they didn't know.

I solved my problem another way by using a "spare " ASUS RT-AC56U router configured as an access point on the main floor of our home. I used the USB drive option on it for my media drive and since I have the router "wired" it gave a neeed extension to the wifi range. 

Just using the Rogers wifi I  could only connect to the 2.4G network with a download speed around 16Mbps. Now sitting in the same spot connected to the 5G from the access point with 167-200 Mbps while testing my tablet at the same time in the 2.4G. Without the access point my tablet was single digits Mbps now it's 29-38Mbps.

Oh, and the drive works fine for streaming media to the PS3 & PS4 and a TV. Sort of fixed two problems.

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

Definitely not there in my modem. It must have just been introduced back in to .29. 

I'll just have to wait for @RogersDave to push the firmware again.

Thanks @Datalink and @Kevyh for checking for me.

@zardoz99 wrote:

Definitely not there in my modem. It must have just been introduced back in to .29. 

I'll just have to wait for @RogersDave to push the firmware again.

Thanks @Datalink and @Kevyh for checking for me.

I just repushed the firmware to your modem.

Regarding USB, Hitron and Intel are still looking for a solution. What they have discovered however is that if the device is USB 2.0, it works correctly. If the device is USB 3.0 capable, it will not work.

Dave

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the very rapid update to .29 🙂

Still no USB tab however... As a Factory reset would put it back to .27, I guess I'm stuck at this point.

I guess there is some other magic that has to happen as well.  I do however now see the MoCA tab has appeared, confirming the firmware level.

That tab should be there.  I'd run a reboot, or restart the modem by pulling the power off of it and plugging it back in. 

Kevyh
I've been here awhile

I used a USB 2.0 drive. It was able to access it from my PC and phone/tablet through the network (wired & wireless) but I could not "see" the drive with my PS3, PS4 or Smart TV (DLNA).  Since those devices were what I wanted the drive for I had to try a different route.

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:

That tab should be there.  I'd run a reboot, or restart the modem by pulling the power off of it and plugging it back in. 

Nope, did a complete power cycle. No tab. The MoCA tabs are there now, but the USB one is AWOL.

Interesting....

@zardoz99,

In the Basic / Gateway function menu, is there a button "USB"? I honestly can't remember if this button is visible in the customer interface or not and don't have access to a modem to test it right now.

In any case, it was disabled on your modem so I enabled it. This made the tab Admin / USB Storage appear.

Let me know if this works now for you.

Dave

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

Hi @RogersDave,

Thanks for enabling that. There is no USB related entry anywhere in the Basic->Gateway screen(s). I can't do a screen print, so this will have to do.

Basic Settings

This menu show the basic settings of the device

Capability
Residential Gateway Function
EnabledDisabled
Router Mode
IPv4IPv6Dual
UPNP
EnabledDisabled
SIP ALG
EnabledDisabled
Save Changes Cancel Help

The USB tab is now showing perfectly under the Admin tab now. This may be affecting more than just mine I guess. It's a brand new modem direct from the local Rogers main store.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

Hello @RogersDave

I have version 29 but I don't have the USB functionality displayed.  Could you please push this functionality to my modem?

Thanks

@Alex4161 wrote:

Hello @RogersDave

I have version 29 but I don't have the USB functionality displayed.  Could you please push this functionality to my modem?

Thanks

I just did.

Once we have firmware 2.0.10.30 available, we'll have to check if this button is missing. I guess we lost it at some point in the firmware train. If someone previously enabled USB (when the button was there), it would stick across version.

If the button is not present even in 2.0.10.30, I'll try to see if I can get a respin (2.0.10.30T2) with that button added.

Dave

David161
I plan to stick around

So I've been patiently waiting for firmware 2.0.10.29 as I was told it would fix the Guest WIFI network issue. Now that my modem is running on this version, I can confirm it's still not fixed.

Seriously, is there any controls in place to prevent breaking things that were working? Or how about a list of issues being worked on? Or better yet, is there a QA group instead of using customers as your guinea pigs?

Yes I am getting annoyed since I've been lied to.

MegnaGaming
I plan to stick around

Just a quick update @RogersDave but I've had a return of dropped frames while broadcasting to Twitch since the introduction of .29 - PingPlotter shows the issue starting at the modem with higher than normal latency. I'll run a reboot and see if that clears the issue this week or if it persists.

My upload speed is all over the place now

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

I did notice some dropped frames in OBS, while I was broadcasting today on Twitch. 

@RogersDave

I will see if it happens again and try to send u logs if it happens again ( I am on Coda .30T1)