Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dkrc what do you get with an ethernet connected desktop or ethernet connected laptop?  Just want to check that the modem is delivering the expected data rates via ethernet, then work on the wifi issue.  Can you run your speedchecks using the www.speedtest.net Toronto or Montreal Rogers servers. 

Can you have a look at the following post, specifically the section on wifi settings and using a wifi monitor application to check out the wifi environment, looking for overlapping wifi channels with neighboring modems and routers:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Hitron-CODA-4582-Hardware/m-p/397159#M46192

Can you also log in and check the Software (Firmware) version that is shown on the STATUS tab.  You should be at V2.0.10.27.  If not, and this is not a new modem installation, then in theory you should be at .26.  Reboot the modem using the ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot function.  During the reboot the modem will run a firmware version check and update to .27.  When the update is all complete and the modem is back up and running, run a second reboot, or, check and change the wifi settings, save the settings and run another reboot.  

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I remain an observer of this whole process - and as I continue to follow it, it seems like a lot of work on the user's parts - boot, reboot, check laptop ethernet connection, change modems, the list goes on in order to finally get to a modem that can provide stable reliable service - ahh I miss the days of a Novell server that ran at over 3 years up time.  Complexity and trying to push equipment to their max for not overly significant gains, we seem to be creating a situation where we can no longer count on being able to get an Internet service, have our modem and router hooked up and then forget about it all and just enjoy our services.

I have rebooted cable boxes and modems more in the last two years, than I had in the previous ten.  (this is improvement?)

Just commenting - I know they will get it stabalized out sooner or later - new tech is always a challenge, then it will be on to the next change.

Bruce

dkrc
I've been here awhile
1) Ethernet getting 600-800 from Speedtest Toronto server-Rogers. Which is fine cause I didn't expect it would ever go up to 900
2) firmware is up to date .27
3) wireless is set to the way as request or suggested in the post but as I said I am standing right beside the router. No bridge just roger stock router
4) rebooted for the 10 times already
5) if this router is not good with wifi , I can put it in bridge mode. Just let me know

zzeuss
I plan to stick around

Just a quick question..

We are currently signed up for 250U.

If we downgrade the modem to the previous black advanced modem, do you know if the old modem can handle 250 mbps?

dallasdinatake
I plan to stick around
Why would you want to

zzeuss
I plan to stick around

with old advanced modem (Black), I consistently got over 100mbps (WIFI) speed... and we had IGNITE 100U.

Now with 250U (they upgraded our modem to CODA-4582), I rarely get close to 100mbps (WIFI).. I tested it less than 10ft away from the modem..

I was thinking, if we switch back to the old, we may get close to 250mbps?

no issue with direct access via cat cable.. thanks to datalink..

dallasdinatake
I plan to stick around
Get yourself a router to fix that problem

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@zzeuss

with the Coda modem for wireless settings set 5Ghz to channel 149+.

The lower 5Ghz channels aren't as powerful.

@zzeuss yes, the CGN3 series modems will support 250/20.  The problem with switching to the CGN3xxxx modem is the latency thru the modem which is a worldwide Intel Puma 6 modem issue.  The CODA-4582 is a Puma 7 modem and doesn't suffer from that problem.  The latest firmware has resulted in much better performance for simulataneous upload/downloads with ongoing gaming.  So, its a question of whats of greater importance, improved wifi or better overall performance. 

One thing to note, if the 4582 is sitting in the Structured Wiring Cabinet downstairs, you should relocate it so that it's out of the cabinet.  The modem should also be upright as the wifi antenna is at the top of the antenna. 

The next trial firmware version for the 4582 is expected this month and is expected to contain improvements in the wifi portion of the firmware, so, it might be worth holding onto the modem for the time being. 

If you do switch, look for a CGN3ACSMR as seen by the product sticker at the back of the modem.  That modem and possibly the CGNM-3552 will be the first of the CGN3 series to receive the next firmware updates.  Those updates have been held back due to wifi issues that were detected when the version was released to the trial modems.  I would expect to see some news of the pending updates in the not too distant future. 

zzeuss
I plan to stick around
Thanks,

I will keep 4582.. though I don't get the speed I expected, the modem seems pretty reliable..
I don't even know if I can even tell the speed difference between 100 and 250..
Maybe the next firmware will resolve the issue.. but so far.. I'm happy with the performance of this modem.

@boozilla, version 2.0.10.29 is being released to the trials group at this time.  This version enables the user to define two IPV6 DNS addresses.  Perhaps that would resolve the issues with your VPN service.  

To request the trial firmware follow this link @CommunityHelps to navigate to the @CommunityHelps page when you are signed into the forum. On the right hand side of the page is a link titled "Send this user a private message".  Use that link to navigate to the next message composition page.  It will already be addressed.  

1.  Fill in the title with CODA-4582 Trial Firmware Request.
2.  In the text area, include your request, including the modem MAC address and Serial number. The modem MAC address and serial nubmer can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or copied from the data located in the Status page of the modem when you are logged into the modem.

Send that info to @CommunityHelps and you should see a reply later today.

When you're logged into the forum, watch for a number overlaying your avatar at the upper right hand corner. Follow the avatar link down to the message inbox to acknowledge the waiver that is required for the trial firmware.  When that is acknowledged, you should see the firmware loaded later today or tomorrow.  When you know that the fimware has been loaded, reboot or restart the modem.  Don't run a factory reset as that will return the modem back to the latest production firmware which is currently V2.0.10.27.

That request will place your modem on the trials list and it will be loaded with the trial versions when they become available.  In this particular trial version, the IPV6 DNS address may be of interest.  Here's the link to the latest post by @RogersDave with the simplified version of the upcoming version updates

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/CODA-4582-Open-Issues-for-Investigation/m-p/397658#M46...

@viciouslancer wrote:

@RogersDave Is there anyway to enable MoCA on the modem? My Actiontec adapters can connect, but once the modem fully boots up, MoCA seems to be turned off 😞

@viciouslancer, you had previously requested access to the MoCA features on your modem. It is now enabled in version 2.0.10.29 (that I just pushed to your modem).

This is the first time we enable MoCA for customers and went a little strict on the menu options. In version 2.0.10.30 of the firmware, there will be additional options to configure privacy settings for example.

Dave

@viciouslancer, you should ensure that you have a MoCA filter installed on the incoming cable from the street. That filter would sit between the cable and any splitter that is installed to run multiple services in your home.  Can you post your results with the modem and Actiontec adapters.  I'm sure there are others who will be interested in the results.  What model of adapter are you using?

dallasdinatake
I plan to stick around
Do i have it?

As in a MoCA filter?  If you did, you would see it installed on the incoming cable, just ahead of the splitter or amplifier.  The splitter or amplifier might indicate that its MoCA qualified, but, I'm not sure at this point if that means that it has a built in MoCA filter, or if it means that the cross connects between ports have a high enough frequency range to support the MoCA 1.1 D band (1150 to 1500 Mhz) and MoCA 2.0 (D-Low 1125 to 1225 MHz, D-High 1350 to 1675 MHz) band.  The MoCA filter itself would be marked as shown in the following web page and pdf product sheets:

http://www.antronix.com/antronix-products-filters.php

http://www.antronix.com/files//DS-1094-SN_GLF-1002.pdf

http://www.antronix.com/files//DS-1105-SN_GLF-1002B1.pdf

http://www.antronix.com/files//DS-1118-SN_GLF-1002B2.pdf

Looking at the Antronix site, it looks like there are some residential amplifiers that have a built in MoCA filter, the page indicates that the MoCA splitters are coming soon.  Its been that way for months.  So, I have to assume at this point that an additional MoCA filter is required if any customer has a splitter installed to run several services. I might be wrong on this one, but, better to be safe rather than sorry.  I'll have to ask a tech one of these days just to be sure of what's in use at Rogers. 

viciouslancer
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave Thanks for enabling MoCA! Is it bonded MoCA 2.0?

@Datalink I purchased and installed an Actiontec PoE filter, attached it to the first splitter. I am running https://www.actiontec.com/products/home-networking/ecb6200/ (Telus branded purchased from eBay). Connected to the same splitter as my CODA, I'm only getting ~450-500Mbps. Definitely not the speed I was hoping for, but it's a start!

@viciouslancer are you running the privacy settings on the adapter and are the adapters set to use the D-Lo and D-Hi bands that are available in MoCA 2.0?

viciouslancer
I plan to stick around
I'm not sure, I didn't modify any settings. I did get 900 when I tested them linked to each other a few months ago.

Ok, I hope you have a MoCA Point of Entry filter installed on the cable as it comes into the house from the street or utility pole.  Have a look at the following page which details how to update the firmware on the adapter so that you can run them in encrypted mode.  Its a little goofy to say the least.  You have to email Actiontec to obtain the latest firmware version, although, if yours are not that old, perhaps they have the latest firmware loaded.  My guess is that you would have to follow the same procedure just to determine what firmware is currently loaded and what settings are in effect:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/upgrade-actiontec-ecb6200-firmware/

viciouslancer
I plan to stick around

Running this (default) configuration

SW Version: 2.11.1.50.6200.7

RF Channel: 1150
RF Band: Band D Extended
RF Switch: Hi

with no privacy (CODA doesn't support yet?)

I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EXRMIIC installed as soon as cable comes in from the street - I tested it by installing between the two adapters connected to each other.

I have submitted a request to Actiontec for firmware, it's odd that their site says there is no user configuration or firmware available.

Where I got ~600Mbps in my garage with the adapters connected to each other, I'm now getting ~100-150Mbps with CODA as host.

EDIT: @Datalink sounds like you know a lot more about MoCA than I do - I basically just found it as a more viable/better solution than running ethernet or powerline adapters. Now that I have 2 adapters connected, the one where I got ~500Mbps this evening (7pm) I am now getting ~150Mbps down/7Mbps up on a speedtest.

Does adding more adapters slow down the speed? Even if the adapters aren't being used (have nothing connected on the ethernet end)?

@viciouslancer I don't think that adding adapters will slow the results.  When you tested the adapters before and saw 600 Mb/s with the adapters connected to each other, I'm assuming that was with a short RG-6 cable connecting the two together.  Did you test them again after they were in their permanent locations?  At that point you would be using the house cable system, longer cables, connectors, and the splitter.  So, that adds up in terms of signal losses.  I wonder what you would see if you brought them together again and retested them just to see what the results are. Before pulling them out of the system, I would power cycle them, pull the power and reapply power just to see if the adapters perform any better after a reboot.  Maybe their like any other modem or router, requiring a power cycle every now and then.

Here's some food for thought.  Rogers uses Antronix splitters and amps, and possibly other company's splitters and amps as well.  The Antronix site indicates that MoCA qualified splitters will be arriving at some point.  So, either they don't manufacture MoCA qualified splitters, or, if they do, they haven't updated the site.  The issue here is that the splitter has to be MoCA qualified in terms of its frequency response, running up to the top of the MoCA 2.0 D-Hi band which is 1675 Mhz.  The Antronix site indicates that the splitters top out at 1 Ghz which is at the top of the cable system.  The frequency response would roll off from there.  

http://www.antronix.com/antronix-Products-Drop-Passives-All-Splitters-results.php

Have a look at the following Holland Electronics page for MoCA splitters:

http://www.hollandelectronics.com/catalog/catalog.php?product_id=catv-moca-splitter

The product sheet link is on the right hand side of that page.  If you look at that product sheet you can see that the frequency response extends to 1675 Mhz, which is suitable for MoCA operations.  Apparently this does not include a MoCA filter. 

When you installed the MoCA adapters, did you install a MoCA qualified splitter, replacing the Rogers splitter, or do you have a Rogers amplifier running, which might be MoCA qualified?

And, are you running whole home PVR which also uses MoCA from what I understand?  I would think that customers with Whole Home PVR would have to have a MoCA qualified splitter installed, but, for customers that don't have Whole Home PVR, its possible that they would have a standard splitter installed.  I'm going to have to find a Rogers tech to have a discussion on this.  The splitter specs are a small but important point in all of this which will either make or break a MoCA network.  

If you could, here's one test that would be worth doing, run a test with the adapters connected directly together, and then run a test with the adapters connected with short cables, running thru the splitter.  Note that depending on the splitter port, you will have a signal loss of either -3.5 dB or -7 dB, so, the ports that you might test thru would also affect the final observed data rates. 

Another part in all of this are the F connectors in the wall plates in your home.  If they are the typical F Connector with the white core, they might not support the frequency range required for MoCA.  For any wallplate that has an adapter connected, the F connector should be replaced with a higher frequency version such as this:

https://www.lowes.ca/coax-cable/ideal-3-ghz-f-splice-adapter-4-pack_g1200823.html?SearchTerm=85-339

Please let me know what your thought are on all of this.