Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

huh666
I plan to stick around

Thank You @gp-se!

@Phonepeople wrote:

HI, 
I have a few questions 

1- How do i update my firmware ? I am on 2.0.10.26T2 firmware now.

2- What characters can be included in the password for the wifi security. 

3- TO confirm : To change the guestpassword or turn off the guest mode I have to reset the modem. Am I correct?

Thanks 

@Phonepeople,

1. Firmware 2.0.10.26T2 is the last public firmware. We do have firmware 2.0.10.27 available to the Firmware Trial Program participants. You can register to this program by sending a private message to @CommunityHelps including your modem MAC address and serial number.

2. This is a very complex question and it depends what version of firmware you are on. I believe 26T2 and 27 only allow '_' and '-' to be used as special character. We have this one high on the priority list but not sure if it will make it for the next test version (.28) or not

3. No you can change the password for the guest network and disable/re-enable it through the GUI without rebooting. However, I believe that when you make a change to that configuration, the WiFi resets so you will temporarily be disconnected from the modem if you were connected over WiFi.

@NAH_9 wrote:

Can someone confirm what should be the default setting for Hitron firewall settings?  I'm seeing the IPv4 as minimun but the IPv6 as customer with ICMP as allow.  Is that expected per the default settings?

@NAH_9,

IPv6 requires ICMP for proper end to end operation which is why it is enabled by default in the firewall so everything is normal.

@David161 wrote:

As I stated, I am on firmware 2.0.10.27 and the issue has NOT been resolved. That's why I said I have the modem without the black dot in case that made a difference. Already tried disconnecting the power to do a proper reset but again no difference. It only affects the guest network so it's not a priority, but, when a friend comes over it would be nice if it was working.

@David161, I updated the issue list. It seems that the guest network issues are not fully resolved in 2.0.10.27. It has been reported to Hitron.

@lupinglade wrote:

Are these downstream SnR readings okay? I am getting upstream udp packet loss while gaming, its driving me crazy. Does anything here look bad? We have a -5 attenuator on the line as well. Single black dot 4582.

@lupinglade, as I told you via private message, my best recommendation at this point is for you to join the firmware trial program. Once you are on firmware 2.0.10.27, I can investigate further if you still have issues.

Dave

kyle70b
I've been here awhile

Hi, I just switch to Hitron CODA and I found out I have two SSID's, one has a faster Max Speed at 1733.4Mbps which I cannot access, while the other one which I am using now is clocking only as of the moment at 450Mbps. Can you please explain to me why I cannot access the faster SSID? Thanx and hoping for your quick response.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

The CODA has two SSID's. One is 5Ghz the other is 2.4Ghz. Depending on the capabilities of your devices you should always choose 5Ghz over 2.4Ghz. 2.4Ghz is very congested and limited to 300mb/s. 5Ghz is less congested and supports upto 1300mb/s. 

ddd12345
I plan to stick around
Is the down arrow on the coda suppose to light up cyan (purple) if it is DOCSIS 3.1 ??

The downstream arrow is supposed to be cyan, looks to me like a light blue if the modem is running DOCSIS 3.1 downstream.  You can confirm that by logging into the modem and navigating to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page.  You will see one channel in the downstream OFDM section is active if DOCSIS 3.1 downstream is running, or, both channels will show inactive if DOCSIS 3.0 downstream is running.  The upstream is still using DOCSIS 3.0 until sometime later this year. 

ddd12345
I plan to stick around

So this is what I see, is DOCSIS 3.1 running ?

OFDM Downstream Overview
ReceiverFFT typeSubcarr 0 Frequency(MHz)PLC lockedNCP lockedMDC1 lockedPLC power(dBmv)
0NANANONONONA
14K275600000YESYESYES-4.000000
Upstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDBandwidth
138595433ATDMA - 64QAM42.00033200000
230596000ATDMA - 64QAM38.75016400000
323700000ATDMA - 64QAM38.75026400000
OFDM/OFDMA Overview
Channel IndexStatelin Digital AttDigital AttBW (sc's*fft)Report PowerReport Power1_6FFT Size
0DISABLED0.50000.00000.0000-inf-1.00004K
1DISABLED0.50000.00000.0000-inf-1.00004K

Yes.

Luckess
I'm here a lot

So I can't seem to play any video games at all, I get disconects, or ruber banding every 20 -30 seconds. Does not matter which game. I've tran a dslreports test  and I score anywhere from an F to a D. Never got higher. I've noticed specificly that the bufferbloat bar on upload mimics my disconects and rubberbanding in game. on download the bufferbloat reaches 1000ms and I reach 300-500ms on upload.

traghipp
I plan to stick around

I've finally determined why I'm getting less than 1/2 the speed I'm supposed to on a gigabit plan. The length of cat 5e or cat 6 cable slows the speed to half in my home. If I connect the computer directly into the coda modem with a 3 foot cat 5e or cat 6 cable I get dowload speeds in the 900+ range. When I connect the same computer with 30 foot plus cable my speeds drop. 

I've tried many different cables and I keep getting the same results. 

Is there any reason this is happening? This entire time I've believed it was a firmware issue (and it may still be) but this doesn't make sense to me. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

BS
I'm a senior advisor

You can expect loss over distance on any level of cable.

From https://customcable.ca/cat5-vs-cat6/

Cat 5e can maintain Gbs at around 50 metres (or to 164 feet).

Cat 6 can maintain Gbs at around 100 metres (or to 328 feet).

There are other things than can impact speed thought - crosstalk, but I don't think that would be an issue for you, it is not like a corporate setting with many cables running through conduits.

Cables should never run parallel with power cables, as it will create interference. Cables can cross at right angles over power cables, but avoid any place where they may be parallel. Florescent lights and motors can also interfere with signal strength.  

A 30 foot cable should not make any differences, unless you are getting inerference from somewhere.  Other possibilities is a pinch in the cable, do you have it hung and if so, are you using wide twist ties, or velcro hangers to avoid any crimping of the cabling, and the quality of the jacks on either end.

In my experience it would be odd to see that great a loss in signal over only 30 feet.  If you are approaching 50 metres or around 150feet, which you don't suggest that you are, you would begin to see degredation on cat 5e, and you are no where near the length that  should impact it.

I would first consider whether you have any electrical cable close to the cords that are running parallel and coul be interfering, running parallel to your power cabling for the computer, switches, or your surge protection cords, or other electrical cords from other devices along the run.

Like I said, it is odd to have loss over the lengths you are describing.  Only crimped cabling, poor jack connectors, or power line or motor interference could account for this loss in my experience.

Bruce

@traghipp I agree with @BS 30 feet shouldn't cause a problem. I wired my house with cat 5e and cat 6, and some runs are well over 30 feet, I haven't had any speed issues.

Try using a different cable, different brand too. I've had good luck with the cables CanadaComputers sells.

@traghipp is the problematic section of cable buried in the walls, or is this a commercial cable?  Reduced speeds with a cable would indicate a problem with the cable itself, suggesting that its damaged at some point, or, there is a problem with the connectors at either end or at both ends.  In both cases, cable or connector, the ports on the modem and device will negotiate down to a rate where both are happy to operate.  

In order to test the cable, you would need something like the following:

https://www.lowes.ca/test-meters-equipment/ideal-linkmaster-tester_g1199379.html

https://www.lowes.ca/test-meters-equipment/hv-tools-hv468ct-cable-tester_g1812585.html

In order to run speeds above 100 Mb/s, the 4 pairs of wire in the ethernet cable have to be connected end to end.  If there is a wire within a wire pair that is damaged, or, any of the wire pairs don't connect end to end, the ethernet cable will not properly support speeds above 100 Mb/s.

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@Datalink @gp-se @RogersDave

Can I ask probably a stupid question?

I've been still experiencing a whole host of issues, same as everyone else, and I tried again on the advice of the call center, to replace my modem yesterday.

But now I'm seeing I have no IPv6 addess coming thru, but I did before.....

Has it been disabled with the new firmware .26T?

My other modem had .24 and even after multiple reboots wouldnt update, and was continuing to reboot and feeze up multiple times a day, esspecially with prolonged usage, such as my IP Phone, or XboX online.....

Hiitchy
I plan to stick around

@traghipp @gp-se,

Just to put it into perspective for you guys: I have a 40 ft. run of Cat6 ethernet cable from my room to my router on the first floor. I bought the cables from Canada Computers for around $24 dollars and change. After properly laying them down and nailing them to the floor with staples, I was able to get speeds of around 800+Mbps which is insane because previously I was only getting 500+Mbps with a shorter run. My conclusion is that Rogers is doing work in the area and have fixed the CMTS... Either that or the cables are really good!

It should also be noted, I am using the iCan brand of cat6 cable, and a TP-Link Archer C3200 Wifi Router. What I've noticed is some lower end routers like the C3150 actually bottleneck the network speeds since a lot is going on in regards to the dual channel network, as well as the wired network. Give the cables a shot and report back with your findings.

Best of luck!

- Hiitchy

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Hiitchy

@Hiitchy wrote:

@traghipp @gp-se,

Just to put it into perspective for you guys: I have a 40 ft. run of Cat6 ethernet cable from my room to my router on the first floor. I bought the cables from Canada Computers for around $24 dollars and change. After properly laying them down and nailing them to the floor with staples, I was able to get speeds of around 800+Mbps which is insane because previously I was only getting 500+Mbps with a shorter run. My conclusion is that Rogers is doing work in the area and have fixed the CMTS... Either that or the cables are really good!

It should also be noted, I am using the iCan brand of cat6 cable, and a TP-Link Archer C3200 Wifi Router. What I've noticed is some lower end routers like the C3150 actually bottleneck the network speeds since a lot is going on in regards to the dual channel network, as well as the wired network. Give the cables a shot and report back with your findings.

Best of luck!

I have the C3150, and I haven't had any issues with slow speeds, in fact it's the fastest router I have ever used. It's the only wireless router I've ever seen pull 800mb/s download speeds using wifi. You can check smallnetbuilder for benchmarks, it's ranked #3 overall right now.

@WestPoint

@WestPoint wrote:

@Datalink @gp-se @RogersDave

Can I ask probably a stupid question?

I've been still experiencing a whole host of issues, same as everyone else, and I tried again on the advice of the call center, to replace my modem yesterday.

But now I'm seeing I have no IPv6 addess coming thru, but I did before.....

Has it been disabled with the new firmware .26T?

My other modem had .24 and even after multiple reboots wouldnt update, and was continuing to reboot and feeze up multiple times a day, esspecially with prolonged usage, such as my IP Phone, or XboX online.....

very strange you don't have ipv6, I would send a PM to @CommunityHelps with your mac address, serial, number, and account number. Ask to join the firmware trial program, the beta .27 firmware is excellent, and perhaps that will solve your ipv6 issue.

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

Just as a bit of info runs up to 300ft are acceptible with Cat 5e and Cat 6. staying as far under that as possible is a good idea but 300ft is the limit. 

In my office we have runs of over 150ft no issues, and we just laid just under 5.5KM of cat 6 in a new building being constructed, many runs over 100-175 ft, all test ok on cable testing equipment. 

@WestPoint, can you log into the modem and have a look at the WAN IP address in the upper right hand corner of the data block on the STATUS page.  If you have IPV6 up and running, you should see two IP addresses in that block:  one IPV4 address and one much longer IPV6 address with a mixed character set.  If you have an IPV6 address in the modem, that should mean that the connected LAN devices should have an IPV6 address as well.  

The next step is to go to ipv6-test.com to test for IPV4 and IPV6 connectivity.   A score of 4/20 is usual for IPV4 operation, 17/20 for almost IPV6 operation where the pc requires an additional IPV6 ICMP rule for the windows firewall, and 19/20 for normal IPV6 operation with Rogers.  Rogers does not supply an IPV6 host name, so that final 20/20 score won't be seen on this network.

Please let me know what the score is:  x/20

Then, run an IPV6 trace to a target:  tracert -6 www.google.com

That trace should run all the way to google, using IPV6.  If it hangs up anywhere, from the CMTS (IP after the modem) to google, that would indicate a server configuration problem.  Its possible for the CMTS to assign an IPV6 address to the modem, and still end up with no IPV6 capability in terms of data transmission between the modem and the end target, all due to a an upstream server problem.  

If the trace times out at any point, then you should sent a message to @RogersDave, outlining the problem you are having along with the modem's MAC address and copy of the IPV6 trace.  To copy the trace, right click on the top title bar of the command popup window.  Select EDIT .... SELECT ALL.  Right click again, select, EDIT .... COPY.  You can then paste the results into the message. 

With 2.0.10.27 loaded on the 4582, you would be able to disable IPV6 in order to determine if that is the cause of the problems that you are having.  

Are you running VPNs by any chance? 

WestPoint
I plan to stick around
No there is only one IP and then ,none

So ya, no IPv6 for som reason, all my Docsis info looks fine, but not receiving the address,,,,,,

and YES I have a VPN, curious why and how you would know that?
It's for my business software, so I can connect to the mainframe database.....

Ok, so, only one IPV4 address showing in the modem, no IPV6 address listed beside it?  In that case I would say that the CMTS is not assigning an IPV6 address.  That most likely is a configuration error.  My guess is that someone may have changed the CMTS configuration and as a result, the CMTS no longer assigns IPV6 addresses.  

In that case, run a normal IPV4 trace to google and include that along with your modem's MAC address and IPV4 IP address and send it to @RogersDave.  Explain the problem with missing IPV6 address in the modem.  Not sure if Dave has the time to attend to that these days, I would say that he's pretty busy due to other issues.  

The VPNs?  I came across a modem crash issue with the CGNM-3552 whenever a VPN was used to connect to work.  It would take somewhere between 1 to 2 hours and the modem would crash.  I haven't had the opportunity to test this out with the 4582, but, when I see any issues regarding modem crashes reported in the forum, VPNs come to mind.  Its very possible that the issue with Puma 6 modems and VPNs has migrated to the Puma 7 modems.  Thats speculation on my part, but, I keep my eyes open for any evidence that might support that possibility.  If you ran pingplotter while the VPN was running, you might start to see timeouts and packet loss occurring leading up to a modem crash.  If that was happening I would certainly like to know.  If you don't have pingplotter, you can simply run a normal ping to the CMTS, which is the IP address after the modem.  You would see excessively large ping times start to occur, followed by timeouts, possibly followed by a modem crash.   That might take a hour or two, possibly longer.  You might already know that based on your observations so far.  Note that this might be driven by the VPN protocol that is used.  

So, take a look at your VPN usage and see if there is any correlation between that usage and any out of the ordinary modem behaviour.  If you can make that correlation, that should be reported to @RogersDave to pass onto Hitron and possibly to Intel.