Did you mean: 

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Lserpa
I've been around

Hello I just got the new modem 4582 and it keeps losing signal, Ive already replaced it once and did the same today, i was told it could be because i have it plugged into a power bar but it stays powered but my internet disappears.

bla2342342342
I plan to stick around

Don't know if this has been talked about but is there a way to turn the lights off of the CODA-5482 (or at least dim the blue lights that come through the unit)?  Would be nice to keep a darker home darker at night rather than lit up like a Christmas Tree.  

Any help is appreciated.

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@bla2342342342 wrote:

Don't know if this has been talked about but is there a way to turn the lights off of the CODA-5482 (or at least dim the blue lights that come through the unit)?  Would be nice to keep a darker home darker at night rather than lit up like a Christmas Tree.  

Any help is appreciated.

@bla2342342342 Unfortunately there is no way to turn off/dim the downlink/uplink lights. I defintely agree with you, the lights are really bright and should be dimmed down a bit. @RogersDave can you reach out to Hitron if they could try dimming down those lights,  or if can they try producing a version of the modem that encloses the lights?

bla2342342342
I plan to stick around
Thanks for the quick response. I doubt they could create an enclosed version because it needs the vents to properly passively cool itself. It would be nice, however, if there was a way to dim the lights (and possibly turn them off) much like you can do with a PVR.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@MackyG sign up for the beta firmware, I believe .23 firmware fixed this issue.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Yes, and even with the PVR, the lights are too bright with the deep blue colour.  Completely throws my night vision off when in a dark room, and is in just the right colour and brightness range to interfere with sleep and alpha waves in the brain sleep cycles.

It is a bit funny (not) that I don't need a night light to get around my house - the PVR and my modem gives me more light than I need.

Yes, it would be nice to have the ability to turn down the brightness.  In particular the modem. It is not like I look at the lights often, accept when I am trouble shooting - I have mine set behind objects (still good air flow) to at least reduce the amont of ambient light in the room, but boy is it ever bright in the corner that the lights face

One could always do what we used to do in implementations in sites I used to manage.  Becuase devices had to be secure from wandering hands, the between floor switches with 32 lights blinking, were inside passively ventilated boxes, with a fan.  Not a cheap option.  I wouldn't do it (too costly), but just putting it out there for laughs and giggles.

Bruce

bla2342342342
I plan to stick around

@BS wrote:

Yes, and even with the PVR, the lights are too bright with the deep blue colour.  Completely throws my night vision off when in a dark room, and is in just the right colour and brightness range to interfere with sleep and alpha waves in the brain sleep cycles.

Yes, it would be nice to have the ability to turn down the brightness.  In particular the modem. It is not like I look at the lights often, accept when I am trouble shooting - I have mine set behind objects (still good air flow) to at least reduce the amont of ambient light in the room, but boy is it ever bright in the corner that the lights face

One could always do what we used to do in implementations in sites I used to manage.  Becuase devices had to be secure from wandering hands, the between floor switches with 32 lights blinking, were inside passively ventilated boxes, with a fan.  Not a cheap option.  I wouldn't do it (too costly), but just putting it out there for laughs and giggles.

Bruce

If only my entertainment centre had a shelf tall enough for the modem, maybe I could do a built-in.  🙂

I might be reconfiguring my home soon enough, anyhow, and putting the 4582 behind said entertainment centre as I also have my UPS behind it.  I know that would help a little with the lights but it would still light up the wall on the other side of my bedroom which could bounce around a bit.  Hopefully a solution can be figured out for the lights.

On a side note, if I were to connect it where my TV and Home Theatre PC are, would the connection go from the wall > PVR > modem?  Or would I want to use a splitter?  Right now, I've got the modem on a different outlet in my den which is soon to become a proper dining room.

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

Do what i did guys, I put a piece of white Hockey stick tape over the leds. You can still see them and it reduces the night time glare to 0

@bla2342342342 wrote:

On a side note, if I were to connect it where my TV and Home Theatre PC are, would the connection go from the wall > PVR > modem?  Or would I want to use a splitter?  Right now, I've got the modem on a different outlet in my den which is soon to become a proper dining room.

Wall -> splitter -> PVR/modem.

That's a simple setup compared to mine. 🙂

bla2342342342
I plan to stick around

@Jeffj wrote:

Do what i did guys, I put a piece of white Hockey stick tape over the leds. You can still see them and it reduces the night time glare to 0

But wouldn't you still have the blue LEDs uplighting through the top?  😕  

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Oh, the little pains in life - just kidding - drives me nuts too and always trying out ideas - Maybe I will try out the tape and see what happens.

Oh, and on the splitter question - in my home, Rogers ran a separate dedicated line to my modem, and the PVR is on another line.  They told me that it was best to have the modem separate from Cable feed.  There is a splitter on that modem Internet run though that feeds the home phone terminal.

So not sure what is setup is best.

Me thinks we are getting a bit bored with the beta work and things doing weird stuff with the new modems.  We have digressed into the little things - like blinking leds and how best to set up our connections and splitters, and how to hide our modems away if possible.

Oh well, at least it is a distraction. Smiley Happy

Bruce

Bruce

David161
I plan to stick around

I did a Google search but this is probably better. I'm having a problem when I try to browse files on a shared drive on another computer within my network. It does work, but, extremely slow. So anytime I use Windows Explorer and navigate the folders it will take so long that it always displays the green progress bar at the top for several minutes. I thought perhaps it was the quantity of files so I tried to navigate a different computer that has significantly less files but it still has the same issue. Tried to change the View configuration so it never displays thumbnails but it made no difference. Disabled the Search service but again the same problem. Also tried different network cards but results are the same. The funny thing is it works perfectly fine if I use a wired connection instead of wireless. This is not an issue of speed or interference as browsing web sites is fine and there's no degradation of speed. This use to work fine when I had my old modem but ever since upgrading to the CODA-4582 I've been experiencing this issue. Perhaps it's a coincidence? The modem is on firmware 2.0.10.19 and is hardware revision 1A. Thanks.

bla2342342342
I plan to stick around
This sounds like the same problem I was encountering. Apparently the latest beta firmware fixes this issue. You might want to sign up for the trial.

fearless90
I plan to stick around
It has been over two weeks now with no updates whatsoever. I can't keep rebooting my modem every 4 hours. What happen to @RogersDave? We need to be kept in the loop! Please provide us an update.

David161
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the reply! So how do I sign up to get the beta firmware? 

UPDATE - Did a search and got my answer. Thanks.

to the folks here who have signed up for the .23 beta firmware - how is the stability of this beta firmware? i don't want to sign up and start having issues as i'm currently on .19 and it seems very stable.

i want to sign up as i've read the beta release fixes the shared drive access issues.

bla2342342342
I plan to stick around

@nineiron wrote:

to the folks here who have signed up for the .23 beta firmware - how is the stability of this beta firmware? i don't want to sign up and start having issues as i'm currently on .19 and it seems very stable.

i want to sign up as i've read the beta release fixes the shared drive access issues.

You've kinda answered your own question in the last line.  Do you need network sharing/mapped drive access?  Do you care if you can see what's connected to the router?  If you answered yes to either of these, then it's probably worth the gamble.

.19 is stable -- if you want to call it that -- as long as you don't need the fixes involved.  If you've read in the forum what the trial firmware has fixed or hopes to fix, and you need the features, it makes sense to take the plunge.  As with ANY trial, you run other risks of bumping into issues but not having the ability to share on my network is a deal-breaker.

thanks, but i meant the overall stability of .23 compared to .19.

i do want the network share issue fixed, but not at the expense of instability.

so the question is, for ppl that are on .23, is it as stable as .19?

@nineiron wrote:

That's a difficult question to answer. I would say most people who had stable .19 are happy with .23, most people who had unstable .19 are still unstable with .23, and a few people think .23 made things bad.

bla2342342342
I plan to stick around

@VivienM wrote:

@nineiron wrote:

That's a difficult question to answer. I would say most people who had stable .19 are happy with .23, most people who had unstable .19 are still unstable with .23, and a few people think .23 made things bad.

That's why I answered it the way I did above.  The answer, as they they, is truly an "it depends" type of answer.  If you need the features that have been addressed since .19 was pushed, then it's a no-brainer.  I can't say from my own experience since I'm still waiting for the trial to be pushed but everything I've read makes it sound like .23 is better (for the most part).

timfolkins
I plan to stick around

.19 was bliss for me.

.23 has been a nightmare.

I'm now down to 2h reboots in order to get the signal levels back to normal.

As a reference note - all was great on my 250 plan - rock solid.