Did you mean: 

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

traghipp
I plan to stick around

Does Rogers have or can they provide customers with the Hitron MoCA 2.0 wireless network extender model #HT-EMN2 that works with the CODA modem? This would tremendously help most customers that need to use wifi in their home and are struggling to find a solution. 

I know telus uses a similar system from Actiontec for their customers.

If this is available could the mods/experts on here provide some help on how we go about getting this.

Thank you

yyzsam
I plan to stick around

I use the Bonded MOCA 2 adapters from Actiontec. It connects my office to my "LAN" room In the basement. It's a direct coax run up to the office and not shared with TV or anything else. I can easily copy a file form my desktop  to my server in the basement at 110MBs. I highly recommend them to extend your network when CAT6 cable isn't easily run to the area you want. The coax is RG6, if you only have RG59 you may not get the performance you want.

http://www.actiontec.com/339.html#

prateeck7
I plan to stick around

@yyzsamNice. How much did it cost you?

I use power line adapter for my downstairs raspberry pi that I stream kodi on. It cost me just $30 and is more than enough for 4k streaming.

Hybrid_Noodle
I plan to stick around
@yyzsam I assume that you are using two of those adapters (one in the office and one in the basement LAN room)?

yyzsam
I plan to stick around

Yes, you can buy a kit with two of them. One on each end of the coax and then Cat5E to each gigbit switch. It's also plug and play, no tinkering at all.

I still use the older ones too. It's dedicated to a wifi access point on the mainfloor.

http://www.actiontec.com/251.html

I am hoping to replace them all with a double run of Cat6 in the next month or so.

yyzsam
I plan to stick around

IIRC $160 from Amazon.com, before the dollar tanked.

I've never had luck with power adapters, but it's been years since I tried it though.

mackdown
I've been here awhile

@mackdown wrote:

@Rexjs wrote:
Oh I've called at least a dozen times and they have it on record. They always say everything looks fine on their end and there are no connection issues but they have no idea why my speeds go down to a crawl. They're only solution is reboot, swap modem at the store or bring in a technician. None of those options worked. I have a work order yesterday to get a 3552 modem but none of the rogers stores around Toronto have them because a lot of CGN3s have been bricked by a fw update. Ridiculous.

I have the exact same issue/experience.

I signed up on Jan 19th and had great consistent speeds until Jan 28th when it started dropping under 5Mbps download but stays at about ~20Mbps upload. The techs have said everything looks good on their end so I should try swapping out the modem. I don't believe that to be a solution to my problem.

I'm using the black dot version and on fw .19 - not sure when this was updated but I was on .13 when I first got the modem. I'm also using the modem as the default Gateway and directly plugged into the ethernet port.

I've tried a hard reset a few times but the speeds always seem to deteriorate to ~5Mbps down but uploads stay fine at ~20Mbps. If I reboot the modem, the speeds hit my regular peak (I seem to usually hit ~330Mbps after the reset on the Ignite 250 plan) but drop to about 5Mbps after 15-45 mins. Turning off 2.4Ghz doesn't seem to help the issue (as some have suggested here) and isn't really an option for me because  my security cameras only use 2.4Ghz.

Anyway, I'm working from home today and my connection has been steady all day so far (~4hrs) without a reboot this morning. I'll see later if this is an issue that happens during 'peak' hours.

9 hours and no speed drop. Checked and it looks like I'm on DOCSIS 3.1 as of today (verified from the OFDM downstream overview). Fingers crossed that this solves my issue.

The downstream colour difference on the gateway is barely noticeable.

guyver
I've been around

Same issues here as well, speed go down to a crawl randomly and have to reboot. I have a "blackdot" CODA now, I want to switch back to my old gigabits modem but is out of stock everywherein GTA... sigh... wish I never exchanged it in the first place....

Current solution is reboot modem every time it slows to a crawl... which is a few times a day...pain in the rear and judging by this thread, I"m not the only one

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@guyver wrote:

Same issues here as well, speed go down to a crawl randomly and have to reboot. I have a "blackdot" CODA now, I want to switch back to my old gigabits modem but is out of stock everywherein GTA... sigh... wish I never exchanged it in the first place....

Current solution is reboot modem every time it slows to a crawl... which is a few times a day...pain in the rear and judging by this thread, I"m not the only one

Rogers is transitioning to DOCSIS 3.1, it's the technology the modem uses to connect to the Rogers Network. This *should* be completed by the end of this month, as everyday new area's are being updated. Once your area is updated the speeds should improve, also right now there are major changes going on with the network because of this. We have the new hardware (CODA) and the firmware bugs that are being worked out. To top it all off Rogers is also launching a Hybrid IPTV soloution next year, so there could be incompatibilities causing issues, since I'm sure the CASA hardware supports IPTV.

abc2017
I've been here awhile
Would Rogers please order Netgear Cm1000.

Its market ready and seems promising.

Previously we were using Bell and I didn't have to make a single call to technical department over the 2years . My postal code is M1m1r9

I'm also In a better postion to negotiate with bell for another 2 years . And I have 30 days to make a decision .
I'm into 5 days with this new gigabit plan the same problem and I'm restarting every few hours .

Link to netgear CM1000 :

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-CM1000-Ultra-High-Speed-Cable/dp/B01I5TJGSE

Newegg.ca

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825124028

Would Rogers give me the credit for the price of the modem if I buy it myself ? Or otder it on my behalf ?

We can only whish

@abc2017,I would say that the chances of that happening are slim to none at the current time, with emphasis on none.  In any event, the CM1000 and SB8200 are just starting to make an appearance so there is very little feedback on these modems at the present time.  Over the next two to three weeks that will change. You never know, these might turn out to have some type of issue that is very problematic, don't know just yet.  There are some hiccups being reported in terms of getting these to run on the ISP networks, so, it looks like there is some work that has to be done.  It will be interesting to see the comparison between those modems and the CODA-4582.  Soon, not just yet, but soon....

HKPolice1
I plan to stick around

My area just got upgraded to D3.1 but now I'm missing downstream channels 24-26 on the modem. Wifi is disabled & I'm running in bridge mode. I have an original CODA 4582 no black dot. Are rogers stores still offering black dot CODA modems? I read somewhere else that it's been recalled.

What should I do to get back the missing channels?

abc2017
I've been here awhile

Right now Net gear is the market leader for wifi routers .

Link: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-features/32666-smallnetbuilders-router-market-share-rep...

I don't find anywhere reviews about about Hitron . How can you compare their performance . Netgear owns about 23% global market share where as Hitron is somewhere below the other 1%. Chances are slim to none that hitron will even be a modem market leader.

It's been more than a month This 19 firmware came out and still they couldn't get another out . Rogers better do something or other wise they face their desired consequences.

Approval Date:  Jan 27, 2017

So, I'm assuming that the modem passed all of the test required by Industry Canada.  I haven't looked at the legality of 80 Mhz wide channels and the specific regulations, but, I'm assuming at this point that its legal. 

Industry Canada listing:  https://sms-sgs.ic.gc.ca/equipmentSearch/searchRadioEquipments?execution=e1s2

Performance wise, it depends on what your looking for.  Not everyone is concerned about the same parameter.  If you've been keeping an eye on past Puma 6/6MG issues which covers the Hitron CGN3xxx and CGNM-3552 modems, you will know that latency is a key consideration at this point.  With the CM1000 and SB8200 modems now arriving, you're going to start to see comparative plots and data for all modems including the CODA-4582.  Its not an issue of whether Netgear is a top provider, that really means nothing, personal opinion at this point.  The modems are basically the same, developed from the same chipsets with the same SDK provided by the manufacturer.  Slap a different front end on it and you have a Hitron, Arris, Netgear, Cisco modem, etc, etc, etc.  Modems developed from the Intel chipset will essentially be the same across all manufacturers.  Same goes for modems developed from the Broadcom chipset.  The big question at this point is which manufacturer is turning out a better chipset, Intel or Broadcom.  Right now, there isn't enough information out in the wild to make that call but pretty soon it might be plainly evident as to which one is better.  Who knows, maybe that will turn out to be the Intel chipset.  So much for the CM1000.  Or, it just might be the Broadcom chipset.  So much for the CODA-4582.  So, its too soon for anyone to make that call at the present time. 

@HKPolice1 wrote:

My area just got upgraded to D3.1 but now I'm missing downstream channels 24-26 on the modem. Wifi is disabled & I'm running in bridge mode. I have an original CODA 4582 no black dot. Are rogers stores still offering black dot CODA modems? I read somewhere else that it's been recalled.

What should I do to get back the missing channels?

You have the same issue I do. Basically, when they deployed D3.1, they removed some D3.0 channels... and now the interference issue is affecting your ability to tune some of the remaining D3.0 channels. You're actually ahead of me if you're only missing 3 channels; I'm missing 8 or 9, IIRC.

The solution is supposed to be to swap the modem for a black dot modem, but in my case (on the 250 plan), everything works great despite the missing channels, so I am keeping it for a few months until things settle down with the 4582...

Fundamentally, I don't know to what extent the D3.0 channels are actually used once you have D3.1. If the modems load balance across both D3.1 and D3.0, then the fact that we are missing some 3.0 channels could be a problem; if the modems prioritize D3.1 and don't use the 3.0 channels anymore, then we are not losing anything...

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@Datalink  I have to agree with you on the legality of the band described - it is used in most countries in the world, approved for use, and no restrictions, although some of the band, like others are restricted for Canadian weather radar.

So I am not concerned about this issue, not that I pay much attention to this level of detail anyway.

Router choice is always a bit of a preference and compromise.  For years, I did everything 3-com.  It becomes critical when looking at large inrastructure setups, along with the ability to support differing devices.  My experience is that each person has their own opinion, but it you dig into their suggestions of type, it usually comes down to what you have used before, experience, good and bad, how long the particular product has been in production and reported issues, and also which types you are most comfortable and knowledgeable to work with.

But on a lot of this stuff, I am getting way out of my knowledge experience, and it is merely a curiousity to test my skills to learn and understand - as you get older you realize, if you don't research and use skills you loose them, and I still like to learn.  So great discussion.  So much change going on right now, with so many new technologies, I certainly can't keep up anymore.

Bruce

abc2017
I've been here awhile
@Datalink These are the regulations:
Link :
http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf10971.html#s6.2

I'm already getting headaches every time I get close to reset the modem .

When will the next firmware after 19 will be released?

I feel it will cost less for Rogers than to send technicians this many times and handling the technical phone calls . Currently the CM1000 has a score of over 4/5 in its amazon reviews .

I hope Rogers can assure us that they are giving us the best solution they can during our difficult times.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Rogers will offer Comcast's 3.1 modem ( Mid 2017) according to an article I have read.. is it true?

Hybrid_Noodle
I plan to stick around
I think this is the article that you are talking about http://www.lightreading.com/cable/set-top-boxes/rogers-embraces-comcast-north-strategy/d/d-id/729866

It would be an interesting way to change things and takes a lot of the testing and validation out of Roger's hands and puts it into Comcast if they hold back on Comcast's enhancements for 3-6 months

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

That's indeed the article I am reffering to