Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

It's Rogers network, so they wanna make sure the devices operate properly on their network. If people bought their own devices and they were DOCSIS 2 for example, it would cause slow downs, etc. on the network. Right now Rogers wants everyone on DOCSIS 3.1, and Hitron is the only provider of a DOCSIS 3.1 Gateway.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Netgear CM1000 looks promising.
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Senior Technician visited yesterday and looked for any RF issues. He determined that some cheap RG6 cables were causing the majority of the interference that affected the modem. He replaced the cables for newer RG6 and swapped the modem and my signal levels are now between 1 and -2.5. 

Fast foward to today (Sunday) and I'm still affected by the interference issue. PingPlotter is showing packet loss from the modem and upload speed tests are fluctuating horribly. Checked my signal levels and they are all optimal on both the downstream and upstream. I honestly don't know what to do now... The CGN3ACSMR had a greater tolerence for interference than the CODA but why?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:

Senior Technician visited yesterday and looked for any RF issues. He determined that some cheap RG6 cables were causing the majority of the interference that affected the modem. He replaced the cables for newer RG6 and swapped the modem and my signal levels are now between 1 and -2.5. 

Fast foward to today (Sunday) and I'm still affected by the interference issue. PingPlotter is showing packet loss from the modem and upload speed tests are fluctuating horribly. Checked my signal levels and they are all optimal on both the downstream and upstream. I honestly don't know what to do now... The CGN3ACSMR had a greater tolerence for interference than the CODA but why?

Do you have all 32 channels? also is the CODA a newer batch with the black marking near the power cord connection? SNR values around 38-40db?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Simply put the new CODA modem is a piece of garbage. It's like a grade 6 school project that was thrown together the morning before class. If your area is still on docsis 3.0 there is little to no benefit with using the CODA. I myself am going to exchange it and go back to the CGNM-3552 .
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

i hear you, @soundwave80 ...well, now that the crew that was supposed to replace my outside lines this morning didn't even show up, i'll be taking it one step further and leaving Rogers internet/TV altogether. I'm still within the grace period and had better not be charged a cent from Rogers once I jump ship to Bell. Hopefully it won't be a gong show over there as well.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Also I am not sure why the 5ghz channel doesn't have the same signal strength as the 2.4. On top of that the 2.4 doesn't even support ac... I can't wait to get the new beta firmware and put the modem into bridge mode. My Asus AC68U is getting dusty.
Highlighted

@gp-se wrote:

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:

Do you have all 32 channels? also is the CODA a newer batch with the black marking near the power cord connection? SNR values around 38-40db?

I have all 32 channels and SNR levels between 37-39db, which is great. I was experiencing the interference issue with my previous modem which also had a black sticker above the power cord connection (yes, the newer batches have the black sticker which indcates better protection from DOCSIS tuner interference). Since I was still getting the issue with the black dot abve the power cord, Hitron wanted my modem in order to perform an analysis on it. This is why they sent out a Senior Technician to my place yesterday to retrieve the modem in order to send it to Hitron, perform the modem swap, and clear out any RF issues.

Dave will probably update me late within the week or next week on what Hitron finds from the analysis and hopeful they can target the cause. 🙂

Everything looked great yesterday after the technician replaced the  RG6 wires that were causing the interference and signal levels went down.

I ran some traces to google.ca using PingPlotter and it didn't look good. Showed that thew new modem had fluctuating packet loss from 10%-30%. Also showed the node getting pings in the 100's, similar to what I saw with the previous modem. My last resort was to disable 2.4GHz which seems to be the culprit of the issue but I still saw the same results.

The modem may be affected by interference in 2 ways:

(i) 2.4GHz frequences leaking into the DOCSIS tuner (confirmed by Dave)

(ii) Interference from cheap RG6 cables within your home ( from my own experience)

• I had these cables running when I had the CGN3ACSMR and it wasn't affected by it at all, but with the CODA it is affected by the interference--- why?

This leads me to believe that the CODA-4582 may be less tolerant to interference than the CGN3ACSMR but hey, this is only my opinion from my experience with this modem. If your CODA modem is working great, there should be no need to swap it out unless Dave lets you know that you are affected by the interference issue. I highly suggest everyone to keep on providing feedback so fixes can be provided ASAP 🙂

Highlighted

@fearless90 wrote:
Also I am not sure why the 5ghz channel doesn't have the same signal strength as the 2.4. On top of that the 2.4 doesn't even support ac... I can't wait to get the new beta firmware and put the modem into bridge mode. My Asus AC68U is getting dusty.

@fearless90 When you say "signal strength", to what are you referring?

Note, 802.11ac is a 5GHz radio technology only.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Has anyone tried the USB storage on one of these yet?  I just got mine today and it doesn't detect anything I plug into the USB port.  I've tried an external HDD enclosure that supports USB3.0, as well as a thumbdrive. 

I've checked to make sure that 'shared status' is enabled in USB Storage in the admin console.  When I click 'refresh' it doesn't detect any drives.  Also the USB light is not coming on on the front of the unit when I plug in USB drives.