Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
@Jeffj wrote:

Are you certain this behavior is fact? because i was using 3 seperate devices  (router laptop and tower) in bridge mode and testing all 3 of them for speed  and latency, and had no issues rapibly switching bethween the 3 and getting a public ip assigned (each device was assigned a different public ip as rogers DHCP server binds the address by mac) 

Officially, the fact is that Rogers only provides 1 IP address to Retail/Consumer users.

Unofficially, Rogers provides 2 IP addresses to "some" Retail / Consumer users (where "some" could be all, but I cannot confirm).  This is based on 2 data points: My own experience & this thread: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3024...

Per that thread, Retail/Consumer customers can purchase additional IP addresses.  (see https://na.edit.client.yahoo.com/rogers/show_static?.form=rogers_pu_mi_addipadrs&.intl=ca for details)

When I called Rogers 2 years ago to get additonal IPs for my home, they told me that this was no longer available for Hybrid Fibre plans (which I was switched to from another plan by retentions) - and that I would have to switch to a Business plan to get additonal IPs (which I didn't do).  Thus, this does not cover Business plans or those Consumers who have purchased more than 1 IP address, or those Consumers who may be on a special EPP plan that provides multiple IP addresses as an affiliate perk.

As for not being able to connect a 3rd device, and the DHCP server locking in your 1st & 2nd MAC address, and waiting for 48 hours for it to flush, this fact was told to me by Rogers technical support last year.  I cannot validate the accuracy.

However, several variables exist;

1 - It's possible that Rogers now allows 3 or more IP addresses for "some" customers

2 - It's possible that Rogers has fixed (some of) the DHCP servers to better handle "bridge-mode" operation where the connected clients change.

3 - Last week, my pfSense server reported that my Rogers IP address lease time was 1 hour.  As of Saturday, that's moved to 48 hours.  Is it possible your lease time was short during your testing?

4 - It's possible that Rogers only allows 1 IP address for "some" customers like markopas.  So depending on the DHCP server for your neighbourhood, you might only get 1 - and hence why spoofing your laptop mac in your modem is necessary.

Did you use ipconfig/release in your testing jeffj?

One variable that's not clear is whether markopas used ipconfig/release from their laptop (& then immediately  disconnected the cable before the laptop could send a new DHCP request) before connecting their router.  

markopas
I plan to stick around

Sorry, but that makes no sense.  I've had 5 devices plugged in to the cable modem for testing purposes when I initially had the issue of my 3552 modem not surpassing the 250Mbps threshold.  At that time, my 3552 modem was giving out IP's on bridged mode to my router without issue.

I also had a Rogers service tech come out to check the lines to do tests on the line with another Rogers rep testing out on the back end the speeds and other troubleshooting to figure out what's going on until he told me that they were coming out with a new modem and just sit patiently until it's available after the New Year.  Luckily the email came out last week and picked up the modem right away which fixed my speed issue.

Like I said, I dont think Rogers DHCP servers care, at the end of the day and think this is a firmware bug of sorts because if the 4582 modem can give out IP's when in gateway modem (because it's using its own DHCP to hand out IP's then why would it be any different to hand out my router an IP in bridged mode.

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@Double_K wrote:
@Jeffj wrote:

Are you certain this behavior is fact? because i was using 3 seperate devices  (router laptop and tower) in bridge mode and testing all 3 of them for speed  and latency, and had no issues rapibly switching bethween the 3 and getting a public ip assigned (each device was assigned a different public ip as rogers DHCP server binds the address by mac) 

Officially, the fact is that Rogers only provides 1 IP address to Retail/Consumer users.

Unofficially, Rogers provides 2 IP addresses to "some" Retail / Consumer users (where "some" could be all, but I cannot confirm).  This is based on 2 data points: My own experience & this thread: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3024...

Per that thread, Retail/Consumer customers can purchase additional IP addresses.  (see https://na.edit.client.yahoo.com/rogers/show_static?.form=rogers_pu_mi_addipadrs&.intl=ca for details)

When I called Rogers 2 years ago to get additonal IPs for my home, they told me that this was no longer available for Hybrid Fibre plans (which I was switched to from another plan by retentions) - and that I would have to switch to a Business plan to get additonal IPs (which I didn't do).  Thus, this does not cover Business plans or those Consumers who have purchased more than 1 IP address, or those Consumers who may be on a special EPP plan that provides multiple IP addresses as an affiliate perk.

As for not being able to connect a 3rd device, and the DHCP server locking in your 1st & 2nd MAC address, and waiting for 48 hours for it to flush, this fact was told to me by Rogers technical support last year.  I cannot validate the accuracy.

However, several variables exist;

1 - It's possible that Rogers now allows 3 or more IP addresses for "some" customers

2 - It's possible that Rogers has fixed (some of) the DHCP servers to better handle "bridge-mode" operation where the connected clients change.

3 - Last week, my pfSense server reported that my Rogers IP address lease time was 1 hour.  As of Saturday, that's moved to 48 hours.  Is it possible your lease time was short during your testing?

4 - It's possible that Rogers only allows 1 IP address for "some" customers like markopas.  So depending on the DHCP server for your neighbourhood, you might only get 1 - and hence why spoofing your laptop mac in your modem is necessary.

Did you use ipconfig/release in your testing jeffj?

One variable that's not clear is whether markopas used ipconfig/release from their laptop (& then immediately  disconnected the cable before the laptop could send a new DHCP request) before connecting their router.  

I was not deploying the dhsp release on the cards, as the modem was phyiscally being rebooted and attached ot a new different each test.

One thing i noticed before with my old modem when i had IPV6 is rogers would hand out two public ipv4 addresses and then any other device attached was ipv6 only, but was about to get out ot the world. 

I have no idea if im alloted 3 addresses i suppose id have ot attach all 3 at once. 

markopas
I plan to stick around
Basically putting your devices in bridge mode and fill all four ports on the modem to see which ones get an IP and ones don't. Maybe we are limited to a max of 4 IP's based on the amount of ports on the cable modem.

Double_K

@markopas wrote:

Sorry, but that makes no sense.  I've had 5 devices plugged in to the cable modem for testing purposes when I initially had the issue of my 3552 modem not surpassing the 250Mbps threshold.  At that time, my 3552 modem was giving out IP's on bridged mode to my router without issue.

I also had a Rogers service tech come out to check the lines to do tests on the line with another Rogers rep testing out on the back end the speeds and other troubleshooting to figure out what's going on until he told me that they were coming out with a new modem and just sit patiently until it's available after the New Year.  Luckily the email came out last week and picked up the modem right away which fixed my speed issue.

Like I said, I dont think Rogers DHCP servers care, at the end of the day and think this is a firmware bug of sorts because if the 4582 modem can give out IP's when in gateway modem (because it's using its own DHCP to hand out IP's then why would it be any different to hand out my router an IP in bridged mode.

My apologies.  Personally, I have never seen a modem give out IP addresses in bridge mode, so I'm surprised to hear that the 3552 could do that.  My understanding of bridge mode is that the device is only acting as a modem, and not a DHCP server.  I have the 4582 operating in bridge mode, and it is not giving my router/firewall an IP address.  My router/firewall gets its IP address from the Rogers DHCP server.

markopas
I plan to stick around

@Double_K wrote:

@markopas wrote:

My apologies.  Personally, I have never seen a modem give out IP addresses in bridge mode, so I'm surprised to hear that the 3552 could do that.  My understanding of bridge mode is that the device is only acting as a modem, and not a DHCP server.  I have the 4582 operating in bridge mode, and it is not giving my router/firewall an IP address.  My router/firewall gets its IP address from the Rogers DHCP server.

What I was referring to in my post was that when the modem was in bridge mode that you would be getting an IP from the Rogers DHCP server - there are four ports on the back of the modem, you can plug in multiple devices and see out of the four, how many IP's the Rogers DHCP server is handing out.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

They should be able to clear the ARP table to get you to get another ip. We used to do that a decade ago lol

With a modem running in Bridge mode, you can expect to see 2 x IPV4 addresses and an unlimited number of IPV6 addresses. 

Abspatel
I plan to stick around

Ok so did the test, no matter what I do it shows 100mbps. I've been getting really terrible speeds on wired.

Firmware: 2.0.10.13

Wifi speeds: Max out at 50mbps on 2.4ghz (G/N mixed), 150mbps (b/g/n)? and 250mbps on 5ghz (a/n/ac)

Why is this modem so squirrely?

Double_K

@Abspatel Looks like Ethernet Port 1 & the 2.4GHz wireless might have issues - correlating with your testing with auto-negotiation failing & defaulting to 100Mb.  Please see this post in the firmware thread;

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/384...

markopas
I plan to stick around
Is the fact that we are told to use port 1 on the modem set by the firmware? The reason why I ask is I have tested all my ports and never found a difference in the ports - they all acted the same.

paulj
I've been around

I had this exact same issue yesterday. I ended up installing DD-WRT on my DIR-895L to resolve this.

markopas
I plan to stick around

@paulj wrote:

I had this exact same issue yesterday. I ended up installing DD-WRT on my DIR-895L to resolve this.

That's fantastic news - I was reading up on the DD-WRT firmware but didn't know if I wanted to go that route.   It still doesnt make sense on why the modem refuses to hand out an IP in bridged mode.  It can't be the D-LINK router because I had no issue with my previous gigabit modem.

Big8D
I plan to stick around

Quick question, how do you set this modem to the bridge mode?

markopas
I plan to stick around

@Big8D wrote:

Quick question, how do you set this modem to the bridge mode?

Once you have logged in to the modem by connecting to the default gateway (usually it's 192.168.0.1), you will enter the username of cusadmin and then the password which with the new modems after processing the easyconnect setup right from the start the wifi password you create will be your password for the cusadmin account.

Then go to the basic menu option up top, the window will switch and you will see Residential Gateway is enabled, set it to disabled and follow the on-screen prompts and it should restart - takes about 3-7mins to complete.

Big8D
I plan to stick around

Thank you for your help!

Big8D
I plan to stick around
After three days with this new toy what I can tell is:
1. 5G signal is much weaker, there is no signal in my basement at all.
2. 5G speed is slower than before.
3. 2G speed is faster than before.
4. Wired speed is slower than before.
5. reboot is much faster then before.

markopas
I plan to stick around

@Big8D wrote:
After three days with this new toy what I can tell is:
1. 5G signal is much weaker, there is no signal in my basement at all.
2. 5G speed is slower than before.
3. 2G speed is faster than before.
4. Wired speed is slower than before.
5. reboot is much faster then before.

You know what's funny.. when I am just using the CORA-4582 and not in bridge mode and not using my personal router, I also find my 5G signal is also much weaker compared to the 3552 and get no signal 2 floors up or down from the middle of my house but get the opposite on the 2G like you mentioned.  When I can connect to the 5G network I've setup, the speeds are good and able to hit 250Mbps on my iPhone 6+.  The wired speed is a vast improvement over the 3552 and now able speedtest at 850-925Mbps.

This modem has been out for a week Now and haven't heard of any positive stuff yet, how's it performing with Xbox one is it better ? Better latency lower pings ? Anyone ? Or same old thing wait for firmwares like the other modems this is getting frustrating always having to wait for a fix this has been going on to long , first it was the firmwares now it's the chipsets come on ! It's like buying a Brand new car with 3 wheels when it comes to Rogers

markopas
I plan to stick around

@lethalsniper wrote:
This modem has been out for a week Now and haven't heard of any positive stuff yet, how's it performing with Xbox one is it better ? Better latency lower pings ? Anyone ? Or same old thing wait for firmwares like the other modems this is getting frustrating always having to wait for a fix this has been going on to long , first it was the firmwares now it's the chipsets come on ! It's like buying a Brand new car with 3 wheels when it comes to Rogers

Are you using the 4582 as your primary modem and router or are you bridging it?

I don't have this modem yet I'm still on the cgn3acsmr I'm not going to get this modem until I know for sure it will work better for my needs but from what I read this does not fix any latency / or pings when it comes to gaming it might be even worse from what of some people have posted here