Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

It was a contractor tech who came.

I can only see about 200Mbps DL max...uplink is always consistent at 20Mbps...

I connect directly into the modem, modem in bridge mode, port 1 of modem, hardwire CAT5e cable. Nothing else connected to modem. Laptop get a WAN IP and test with speedtest.net. 

SNR per DOCSIS WAN status all looks good, the ping is all over the place though, ranging from 7ms to 166ms.

Modem is hardware revision is 1A, software is 2.0.10.28T2.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, just to be sure here, you're running the modem in Bridge mode.  Is that for test purposes?  That leaves the laptop wide open to the internet.  The modem firewall won't be running to protect the laptop or any other connected device. 

How are you connecting to the laptop?  Ethenet, gigabit ethernet to USB3 adapter, or gigabit ethernet to USB Type C adapter?

Have you tested the laptop anywhere else so that you know it will support 500 Mb/s and above on the download side and 30 Mb/s and above on the upstream side? 

What's the brand and model of the laptop?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, I just upgraded from Ignite 250u with a Hitron CGN3ACSMR modem, and getting 250 Mbps download speed, to Ignite Gigabit with a CODA-4582 modem (hardware 1A, firmware 2.0.10.28T2), and now only getting 150-200 Mbps (and sometimes even less than 100 Mbps) according to speedtest.  I notice that the downstream (DS) light indicator on the modem (the one below the Power indicator) is white.  The upstream (US) is a steady blue.  I can't find any info on what a white DS indicator means. I've arranged a service call already for someone to check out the speed issue, however, I am curious on what the white indicator means and if it is a symptom of the problem I am having.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@eyeeifmx the downstream indicator should be a light blue in colour (actually its supposed to be magenta), which indicates that the modem is using DOCSIS 3.1 on the downstream side.  It will be using DOCSIS 3.0 on the upstream side (darker blue).  

If you log into the modem and navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab, looking at the OFDM (DOCSIS 3.1) Downstream section of the table, you should see that one channel is active.  The other channel won't be active.  At the bottom, both OFDM upsteam channels will show inactive.  

How are you connecting to the modem, wired or wifi? 

Are you still on the 250 Mb/s service, or did you upgrade to the gigabit service? 

With the gigabit modem, you should be using the www.speedtest.net Toronto Rogers or Montreal Rogers server, which ever is closer to you.  The next best choice would be Toronto Beanfield, and Montreal's Fibrenoire. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink I've tested using Speedtest.net , selecting Rogers Toronto server, and done both wired directly to the modem as well as having the modem in bridged mode connecting to an ASUS AC68U router and over wireless, and getting similar results.  I've also used the Speedtest off the Rogers support page https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/internet-speedtest .  

When I log into the modem and looking at the signal levels, I do see OFDM Downstream overview where there is Receiver 1 is active, however, there are times when I look, and both are inactive (NA).

The white DS indicator is still a mystery.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

First of all it is good you have a tech coming out.  Second the Firmware is old, you should check this thread on how to get it updated to 2.0.10.33T03  Also measure your speed with just one laptop connected on wire, I turned my wireless off for both 2.4 and 5G.  The throughput will show you how fast the system is.

In your case it might be that your IP address is in the wrong VLAN group and gets the wrong speed. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@eyeeifmx when you reboot the modem, it should run a firmware version check and update to .33.  If it doesn't please let me know.  That will require sending a message to the mods to have the modem updated.  

Are you connecting via with a laptop or pc?  If its a laptop, is this a gaming laptop which will run higher data rates? 

Are you still on the 250 Mb/s plan or have you upgraded to the gigabit plan? 

What firmware version are you running for the 68U.  In order to run anything above 200 Mb/s, you need to have the NAT Acceleration running for the older .380 Asus stock firmware, or have Flow Cache running in the newer Version 3.0.0.4.384.20308.  There are a number of items that can kick off either the NAT Acceleration or Flow Cache, such as Traffic Monitoring, Filtering, Traditional QOS and a few others.  NAT Acceleration is Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding.  Consider it as port to port data forwarding, external to internal and vice versa.  Without CTF or its successor running, you won't see high speeds thru the 68U.  Fwiw, with the AI Protection enabled, firewall running and Wifi running, the 68U will top out around 900 to 910 Mb/s.  Its a little under powered for gigabit ops now, given its 800 Mhz processor.  

If you're looking at the OFDM downstream section of the DOCSIS WAN tab, and you see that both channels are inactive, that indicates that the modem has given up on processing the OFDM channel and has reverted to DOCSIS 3.0. If you have time at that point, call tech support and ask the CSR to check your modem and your neighbors 4582 modems to see if that is a common issue at your location.  The answer to that would or should determine the level of technician that is dispatched to resolve the issue.  This might be more than just a single customer issue. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink Thank you for the detailed reply.  I had been testing with a laptop that has a 1000 Mbps link connected directly to the CODA modem, so taking away any question with the router.  I was getting higher throughput with Ignite 250u/CGN3ACSMR (I used to get up to 300 Mbps) than what I am getting right now with Ignite Gigabit/CODA-4582, which has varied from 150-200 Mbps, all the way down to 0.1 Mbps (which happened twice today) and where I have to unplug and reboot the CODA modem to restore speed.  When I reboot, it does not update the firmware.  I've already requested the firmware update push from CommunityHelps (with a response that it can take up to 7 days) and made the same request when talking to Tech Support earlier today.  Good suggestion to call and have a tech look when the OFDM downstream is NA.  I have a feeling that it may be the modem.  Hopefully the tech that comes will also have a modem on the truck.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@eyeeifmx have you ever seen the laptop run at anything above 300 Mb/s?  Although the laptop might have a gigabit port, that doesn't necessarily mean that everything else beyond the port will support gigabit data rates.  A gaming laptop or possibly higher end workstation type laptop should, but for everyday run of the mill type of laptops, I wouldn't count on it.  We've seen a good number of examples in the forum where the customers equipment, especially laptops won't support higher data rates.  Certainly not trying to disparage your laptop, just pointing out what we've typically seen.  

The OFDM channel can definitely be a problem.  That channel is running somewhere in the 300 to 500 Mhz range, which is above the DOCSIS 3.0 Upstream channels and below the DOCSIS 3.0 Downstream channels.  The lower channel range is more susceptible to noise ingress but, I don't know how much that comes into play when we're talking about the 300 to 500 Mhz range.  The OFDM data that is displayed in the user interface is not totally correct, so, at the present time, all it really tells you is that the modem is using DOCSIS 3.1 or not.  You would have to call tech support to determine what the signal level and signal to noise ratios are for the OFDM channel and whether or not they are in spec.  

The tech will have to ensure that the OFDM channel is running to spec and that the modem is using DOCSIS 3.1.  Ideally that OFDM channel will have failed, which would make it much easier to troubleshoot the problem.  A failure would point to a severe cable problem, a CMTS issue, or possibly a modem issue.  Its a matter of elimination.  Its much harder to troubleshoot this when the channel is running while the tech is around, and then drops out when he or she leaves.  Very frustrating indeed....

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Exact same thing with me. Had the 250u for years and consistently getting 250Mbps, but had the unfortunate idea to "upgrade" to 500u and now won't get more than 150mbps. Extremely unhappy with the service.