Did you mean: 

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

TECHHEAD
I plan to stick around

What version firmware should my modem be at?

Currently 

Hardware Version1A
Software Version2.0.10.28T2

Hello, @TECHHEAD

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. The current production firmware is 2.0.10.33T3 and the modems should get updated during the regular maintenance window.

If your modem is not getting updated then please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps so that we can request the latest firmware push to your modem.  Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

mafiaboy01
I plan to stick around

So I recently got setup at my condo with Gigabit internet and it's been working well. My unit has rogers fiber to the unit then has a RFoG converter to coax. My understanding was that the I should basically have perfect signal on the modem since it goes directly from the RFoG converter to the modem. But my signals don't look all that great.

0 is perfect.

But its a little high... but well within what should be fine without causing an issues though.
Always better to be a little on the high end (than lower).
Shouldnt start seeing any potential issues until in the +/- 10 range.

ceedee
I've been around

I have recently setup a Hitron CODA-4582 router and in my setup I have assigned 4 fixed IP addresses for things like a copier and a printer and a NAS. The problem is that although they are connected, they do not show up on the  the connected devices list. Any ides why?

mafiaboy01
I plan to stick around
I was under the impression that since i have RFoG I would essential get perfect signal strength because the coax only goes from my modem to the converter.

TECHHEAD
I plan to stick around

@RogersMoinwrote:

Hello, @TECHHEAD

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. The current production firmware is 2.0.10.33T3 and the modems should get updated during the regular maintenance window.

If your modem is not getting updated then please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps so that we can request the latest firmware push to your modem.  Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Thank You for pushing the updated firmware.

There seems to be a noticeable difference in my speed now, on both wired and wireless connections.

Is there a reason why my modem never received the update?

fmf132
I've been here awhile

Capture.JPG

fmf132
I've been here awhile

I only got 100+Mbps for the Ignite 500u service,  and the signal level (SNR) seen at the modem seem decent...wondering if the issue is at my end or maybe account configuration. Any ideas?

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

the signal strength is too high. +/- 10 is the limits to warrant a service call from what I understand. I would have a service tech visit the home. You could also check for loose connections at all coax cable ends.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@fmf132 wrote:

I only got 100+Mbps for the Ignite 500u service,  and the signal level (SNR) seen at the modem seem decent...wondering if the issue is at my end or maybe account configuration. Any ideas?

@fmf132 

I agree with @Hucklebury the signal is coming in a little too hot. I would call Tech support and explain the speed issues, asking them to check the signal level... most likely a tech visit will be required. 

aelaan
I plan to stick around

Thanks for all the great advise here, really think it is a great place to communicate about this.  What would be numbers that would fall within ranges on the 1Gb links these days?  I did notice some articles but they also seem to contradict each other.

I read that anything between -10 and +10 would be acceptable but that seems to be contradicted by what we see in the numbers produced in this thread.

I do not want to burden Rogers unnecessary but I also feel that throughput at 60% of what is promised might be something to call them about.  What has happened in the past is that they put a slew of connectors and splitters or whatever the non-technical term is on my lines and frankly the demarq looks like a minefield.  At one time I had a power brick installed and another tech unplugged it so there seems to be inconsistency from Rogers as well.

fmf132
I've been here awhile

Tech guy came to install the modem and check the line, and provision everything for me...installed the new modem and tested the line as well, said all good and no issues, and I should be able to get 500Mbps DL. That was yesterday...won't he knew what the proper signal level need to be with his fancy gadget and equipment hook up to the coax cable line in?

@fmf132 he certainly should.  Was the tech a contractor tech or a Rogers Tech?  That does make a difference.  

What speeds are you seeing now?  When you run the speedtest, use the www.speedtest.net Toronto or Montreal Rogers servers.  

What are you connecting and how are you connecting to the modem?  PC or laptop or other? Wired or Wifi?  

fmf132
I've been here awhile

It was a contractor tech who came.

I can only see about 200Mbps DL max...uplink is always consistent at 20Mbps...

I connect directly into the modem, modem in bridge mode, port 1 of modem, hardwire CAT5e cable. Nothing else connected to modem. Laptop get a WAN IP and test with speedtest.net. 

SNR per DOCSIS WAN status all looks good, the ping is all over the place though, ranging from 7ms to 166ms.

Modem is hardware revision is 1A, software is 2.0.10.28T2.

Ok, just to be sure here, you're running the modem in Bridge mode.  Is that for test purposes?  That leaves the laptop wide open to the internet.  The modem firewall won't be running to protect the laptop or any other connected device. 

How are you connecting to the laptop?  Ethenet, gigabit ethernet to USB3 adapter, or gigabit ethernet to USB Type C adapter?

Have you tested the laptop anywhere else so that you know it will support 500 Mb/s and above on the download side and 30 Mb/s and above on the upstream side? 

What's the brand and model of the laptop?

eyeeifmx
I plan to stick around

Hi, I just upgraded from Ignite 250u with a Hitron CGN3ACSMR modem, and getting 250 Mbps download speed, to Ignite Gigabit with a CODA-4582 modem (hardware 1A, firmware 2.0.10.28T2), and now only getting 150-200 Mbps (and sometimes even less than 100 Mbps) according to speedtest.  I notice that the downstream (DS) light indicator on the modem (the one below the Power indicator) is white.  The upstream (US) is a steady blue.  I can't find any info on what a white DS indicator means. I've arranged a service call already for someone to check out the speed issue, however, I am curious on what the white indicator means and if it is a symptom of the problem I am having.

@eyeeifmx the downstream indicator should be a light blue in colour (actually its supposed to be magenta), which indicates that the modem is using DOCSIS 3.1 on the downstream side.  It will be using DOCSIS 3.0 on the upstream side (darker blue).  

If you log into the modem and navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab, looking at the OFDM (DOCSIS 3.1) Downstream section of the table, you should see that one channel is active.  The other channel won't be active.  At the bottom, both OFDM upsteam channels will show inactive.  

How are you connecting to the modem, wired or wifi? 

Are you still on the 250 Mb/s service, or did you upgrade to the gigabit service? 

With the gigabit modem, you should be using the www.speedtest.net Toronto Rogers or Montreal Rogers server, which ever is closer to you.  The next best choice would be Toronto Beanfield, and Montreal's Fibrenoire. 

eyeeifmx
I plan to stick around

@Datalink I've tested using Speedtest.net , selecting Rogers Toronto server, and done both wired directly to the modem as well as having the modem in bridged mode connecting to an ASUS AC68U router and over wireless, and getting similar results.  I've also used the Speedtest off the Rogers support page https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/internet-speedtest .  

When I log into the modem and looking at the signal levels, I do see OFDM Downstream overview where there is Receiver 1 is active, however, there are times when I look, and both are inactive (NA).

The white DS indicator is still a mystery.

aelaan
I plan to stick around

First of all it is good you have a tech coming out.  Second the Firmware is old, you should check this thread on how to get it updated to 2.0.10.33T03  Also measure your speed with just one laptop connected on wire, I turned my wireless off for both 2.4 and 5G.  The throughput will show you how fast the system is.

In your case it might be that your IP address is in the wrong VLAN group and gets the wrong speed. 

@eyeeifmx when you reboot the modem, it should run a firmware version check and update to .33.  If it doesn't please let me know.  That will require sending a message to the mods to have the modem updated.  

Are you connecting via with a laptop or pc?  If its a laptop, is this a gaming laptop which will run higher data rates? 

Are you still on the 250 Mb/s plan or have you upgraded to the gigabit plan? 

What firmware version are you running for the 68U.  In order to run anything above 200 Mb/s, you need to have the NAT Acceleration running for the older .380 Asus stock firmware, or have Flow Cache running in the newer Version 3.0.0.4.384.20308.  There are a number of items that can kick off either the NAT Acceleration or Flow Cache, such as Traffic Monitoring, Filtering, Traditional QOS and a few others.  NAT Acceleration is Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding.  Consider it as port to port data forwarding, external to internal and vice versa.  Without CTF or its successor running, you won't see high speeds thru the 68U.  Fwiw, with the AI Protection enabled, firewall running and Wifi running, the 68U will top out around 900 to 910 Mb/s.  Its a little under powered for gigabit ops now, given its 800 Mhz processor.  

If you're looking at the OFDM downstream section of the DOCSIS WAN tab, and you see that both channels are inactive, that indicates that the modem has given up on processing the OFDM channel and has reverted to DOCSIS 3.0. If you have time at that point, call tech support and ask the CSR to check your modem and your neighbors 4582 modems to see if that is a common issue at your location.  The answer to that would or should determine the level of technician that is dispatched to resolve the issue.  This might be more than just a single customer issue.