Did you mean: 

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

FITIMS
I plan to stick around
I will checknthe DFS settings, I doubt i have them in my modem. Although I did sign up for the trial firmware as the firmware right now is super old and new firmware does say it will enhance the speed.

I will play around and see what happens after the update gets pushed. In the meantime what router you recommend from BestBuy? And you are certain the router will help with speed?

Thanks again

***Update***
No DFS setting available in my modem. 😞

"And you are certain the router will help with speed?"  There is never a certainty to any of this, but, I would expect you to see better wifi rates with a good router.  However, every site has its challenges, how many other transmitters are running nearby, and what are they're received power levels compared to your network.  Its all part of the mix, and one needs to throw in the house cabling, or lack thereof in order to come up with a good working solution.

Fwiw, we have an older Asus RT-AC68U which has an 800 Mhz processor, and a newer Asus RT-AC86U which has a 1.8 Ghz processor.  The 68U is still a very good router and I would recommend that to anyone who is running slower speeds and has absolutely no plans to run higher speeds or numerous functions down the road.  I have it configured for speed rather than functions and it will top out at 900 to 910 Mb/s on the downstream side and at least 58 Mb/s on the upstream which is at the top of the service plan.  The 86U, with the same configuration will top out at 950 to 960 Mb/s on the downstream and 58 Mb/s on the upstream.  Both routers can probably run much faster on the upstream if they were running on a plan that allows higher upstream limits.   I think the best that I've seen in terms of wifi from the 68U is around 400 Mb/s on a 5 Ghz network.  The 86U will do at least 600 Mb/s on wifi, maybe higher if I wasn't competing with my neighbors for clear channels.   I saw that today after loading Merlin's AsusWRT instead of the stock firmware.  I was running a test to look at the IPV6 Stateful configuration.  In any event, Stateless IPV6 works, Stateful doesn't.  The 86U is a very new router, essentially the same form as the 68U, but, with a much faster processor.  So, it looks like Stateful IPV6 configuration is a problem for both stock firmware and Merlin's AsusWRT at the present time.  Its early days for this router and no doubt there will some bugs to iron out.  This is the only real problem that I've seen so far and probably the only reason that I've noticed it is because I would prefer to run Stateful IPV6 for modem test purposes.  So, going to have to come up with a Plan B, or C, .......

Fwiw, the 86U is what I would describe as a mid-range priced router, when compared to the lower and higher prices you will see.  It does have Multi User MIMO, which allows the router to broadcast to 4 devices simultaneously, but, it doesn't have two 5 Ghz radios which the higher end routers have which splits the 5 Ghz band into a low band network and a high band network, each with its own radio.  Since we don't have MU-MIMO devices in our home, there isn't any justifiable reason to buy an extremely expensive router, and, I have a greater interest in wired performance versus wifi performance.  With better wired performance, the wifi performance also improves.  With a 1.8 Ghz processor, which I'm satisfied with for the time being and a price tag at the time of $230, that wasn't a terrible price.  Its currently listed at $269.99.  Depending on your time horizon, I'd wait for a sale to occur.  Keep your eyes open for a sale price.  

Depending on your circumstances, I'd recommend either an RT-AC1900P, which is the succesor to the RT-AC68U, or the new RT-AC86U.  The 1900P has a 1.4 Ghz processor, the 86U has the 1.8 Ghz processor.  If its in your budget, I would recommend the 86U for the faster processor.  

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-wireless-ac2900-dual-band-gigabit-router-rt-ac86u/11281277...?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-asus-wireless-ac1900-dual-band-router-rt-ac1900p-rt-ac1900...?

Now, food for thought, Asus appears to be in the middle of a code rewrite for its routers.  This may or may not be the result of a U.S. FCC lawsuit that occured about three years ago in which Asus ended up with a 20 year firmware inspection order.  Asus was slow at that time in distributing a firmware update to resolve access to AICloud features from what I remember, so, the FCC took them to court.  The code rewrite appear to be out for three or four routers including the 86U and the older 68U & 1900P.   So, little by little that code rewrite will probably cover the entire product line except for some older routers that might be aged out.  So, the code is very new and it looks like Stateful IPV6 is a problem.  I don't expect to be long before its corrected but, at the same time, I'm surprised that it hasn't been commented on elsewhere.  Beyond the stock firmware is Merlin's AsusWrt.  Merlin is widely respected with the router firmware community, based on his ongoing support for the Asus line of routers.  His firmware includes various enhancements and updates, usually at a faster pace than Asus.  Although he relies on Asus for the base files, he is pretty responsive when it comes to resolving issues that he can control.  The recent Asus rewrite is resulting in some closed code sections which don't allow Merlin to change those sections.  We'll see how this is going to work out as time progresses.  

There is another RE that is running a TP-Link router and seeing very good wifi rates.  I don't remember off the top of my head what the particular model is, I'll have to try to find it.  No  guarantees on that one.  My only comment on TP-Link is from a comment that I saw in their forums which indicated that they were slow to provide updates to the modem.  

Netgear also make routers, but, interestingly they appear to filter IPV6 ICMP, which is required to run IPV6.  This is a situation that has gone for some time and I haven't seen any resolution to date, although I haven't been keeping track of it.

DLink is another choice but we've seen users run into issues with those.  Basically its a matter of moving up in data plans only to discover that the router doesn't have the horsepower to keep up  

Beyond that, we get into routers like PfSense, OpenSense, Sophos, etc.  These are essentially pc's with dedicated software running which turns them into a router.  With a typical pc processor, these are much faster than anything you will otherwise find, except for a multi-core Microtik router.  With these routers there is a definite learning curve, but, with the processing power that is available, you can do much more in terms of running security functions, VPNs, etc, etc.  

So, this takes a little crystal ball gazing.  You have to ask the following questions of yourself:

1.  What am I looking for, an all in one that does everything, or, possibly a PfSense, OpenSense type of router with additional wifi access points around the house;

2.  Are you a techie, who doesn't mind tinkering with routers and networks, or, are you looking for something simpler with reasonable performance;

3.  Is your home wired with RG-6 and ethernet cabling (Structured wiring) to every room which makes it easy to locate the modem and any routers and switches throughout the home, or, do you need wifi from a central point which will reach throughout the home.  The 68U and 86U were/are parked at the front of our house and reach to the back and upstairs without any issue.  The basement is hardly used, so, can't vouch for that.  If necessary I can park the 68U downstairs as the house is wired with Cat-5e cabling.

4.  Is there any possibility that you could be looking for gigabit service down the road, in which case you're going to be interested in buying the fastest processor that you can buy (within your budget) looking for several years of service.

Ok, that should do it for now.  I'm sure that others will chime in on this one.  If you're considering buying a router, you basically need to take stock of what it is that you currently do, and what you want to do.  With increasing network speeds, that translated into processor speed, and some amount of money to afford that. 

Hope this helps.

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@FITIMS wrote:
what router you recommend ?

See also SmallNetBuilder's Router Ranking.

FITIMS
I plan to stick around

@DatalinkThanks for that thorough post. I will look into the ones you mentioned, but before we get to the router. My question is, is this the only alternative? Can we not fix the speed with the current CODA router/modem i have now?.

What is really driving me crazy is 3 weeks ago, I had the rocket modem (advanced wifi modem) in the 250u plan and I havent had a single issue with speed or any wifi interference. I was actually getting 350down speed.....The speed remained consistent throughout any device regardless where I was at home. The time came for an upgrade (which i thought was for the better and should be) and when I upgraded for a faster speed and everything went downhill.

Yesterday before I posted here, I called rogers again and spoke to tech support and asked them to just swap the modem to my old one... and they couldnt do it because its not compatible with the new plans... So then, he suggested the only way is if you go back to your old plan, and being as frustrated as I was I said yes, go back to the old plan...... of course waiting in line for over an hour and he couldnt do it because plan doesnt exist anymore and there was no way to get the old modem and then i just hung up because there was no solution coming after an hr and 20 mins.

So my point is, is this it?? There is no solution for this?? I never ever knew or was aware about fighting for a channel with the neighbours or whatever... speed was always perfect on my end...

There has to be a better and a simple solution for this? Thats why we PAY what we pay to rogers to make things easier for us and bring the speed we pay for. We shouldnt have to climb a mountain to get what we pay for...

Thanks again for everyone's input.

ggparts
I plan to stick around

There has to be a better and a simple solution for this? That's why we PAY what we pay to rogers to make things easier for us and bring the speed we pay for. We shouldn't have to climb a mountain to get what we pay for...

What you said. 100%

arnym21
I plan to stick around

To coupe with all kind of loads at once, Hitron put generic CPU in, and got latency jitter issues. Do you want them to multiply? That's why people suggest to separate WiFi CPU load from modem signal high speed conversions by using specialized equipment such as user routers. On the other hand, I agree Rogers should charge lower rental fee for those who use only modem, but not "modem-router" features, and offer "modem only" hardware option in their plans.

FITIMS
I plan to stick around

@arnym21I completely agree.

I just think Rogers is ahead of everyone here with technology and what is coming up next. They should have tested this CODA Router/Modem and see if it is ideal for their clientele. If having a separate modem and router is the better route then dont sell us something that doesnt meet the speed we pay for and you advertise. Only after you show some knowledge in this and they have nothing else to say they come back to you by saying "Well the advertised speed is based on a wired connection not WIFI" like really? that's your solution to the problem now?... BRAVO!!!

In a year or two there will be no wired connection anywhere other than offices. Every home is going wireless. Speaking personally I have no wired connection to internet. Haven't for the past 2 years.

Like I said, I dont want nothing more or less than I am paying for. We pay what we Pay so Rogers solves this issue for us and we shouldnt have to come online and become Network experts to solve their problems...

I am waiting for the new firmware to kick in and see what happens...

HughR
I plan to stick around

@DatalinkThanks for your useful posts.

What do you mean by "Stateful IPv6"?  Are you referring to a packet filter that keeps state?  Or NAPT (heaven forbid on IPv6)?  Or something else?

Most to us are used to IPv4 with NAPT.  By accident that keeps many kinds of intrusions out.  For IPv6, a stateful packet filter would be needed to provide the kind of protection we're used to.

The annoying downside of NAPT is that any server or peer-to-peer applications need to do NAT traversal, a horrible set of hacks.  This was not contemplated when the internet was designed.  I, for one, will enjoy losing my shackles.

FITIMS
I plan to stick around

@RogersDaveCan you please push the firmware? Thank you

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@FITIMS wrote:

Are you serious? Did someone tell you, CODA will ever provide Gigabit speeds over WiFi? You better ask Dave, unless you're ready for eternal wait. Smiley Very Happy In fact, its not that easy to find a reasonably priced stand alone router that will do it in real life, not just claim in specs.

Better call Saul. Smiley Happy

soupy
I plan to stick around

@FITIMS wrote:

"Well the advertised speed is based on a wired connection not WIFI" like really? that's your solution to the problem now?... BRAVO!!!

In a year or two there will be no wired connection anywhere other than offices. Every home is going wireless. Speaking personally I have no wired connection to internet. Haven't for the past 2 years.

1. Wireless will never be as fast as wired for consumer-grade equipment.  You should not expect it to be so.

2. Speak for yourself.  My PC will always be wired.

3. If you want faster WiFi, you're going to have to spend money for better equipment. The Rogers 2-in-1 solutions are chosen for cost-effectiveness and ease of support, not speed, or range, or reliability...

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I will have to agree with @soupy on his points and suggest a couple of other realities.

I think in homes, as it stands with current technology that we will find a mix of wired and wireless technology.

In my own home, I have wired to 4 location, and I use one of them at the moment to make up for the deficiencies of the reality that in my neighbourhood, I have 23 2.4 Mhz connections that overlap into my home, and no channel will overload the overlap of all these networks.  I can only get a good connection within a few metres of my Hitron gateway, and 5 Mhz is an alternative, but unfortunately, although faster and minimal overlap with other signals, it doesn not get through walls and is impacted by interference from elecrtrical, mirrors, walls, etc.

At the moment I avoid the issue using a Dlink extender that is plugged into one of my wired ethernet jacks in the upper portion of the house away from all the concrete walls found in the structure of my home, with steel support beams.

It serves about 90% of my home quite fine, but there are two spots where I am close enough to the gateway so I switch to 2.4 in those two areas.  It will automatically switch over most of the times because the signal from the extender becomes too weak, drops and the stronger 2.4 gets picked up.

The reality is that as stated, we are getting combined modem/router gateways as it does give us an all in one device that will meet many people's needs, and there will be people who will want the ended features of a router, or need to deal with dead spots.  At this point, no technology can get around the reality of deadspots - 2.4 is a broad signal and gets through lots of stuff, but is highly impacted by overlap to the point of no signal connection due to dropped packets, and 5 is kind of like a very strong tight laser beam that goes very well from point a to b with no loss of strength, but stick an object in front of the beam and you lose the sginal = put a plexiglass screen in front and it weakens the signal - same is true with 5 Mhz WIFI.

There are new technologies in line for 3-5 years from now that may make up for it,  but at this time, many of us will have to consider the options to deal with the current technology, signal strength, obstacles and layout of our homes, and our neighbours too, along with our phones, microwaves and other devices.

Rogers and any company cannot promise how WIFI will work in our homes as we all have different equipment, layouts in our homes.

Sure it would be great if the companies chose to just give us a modem and let us choose the best router option for our needs, but integrated systems save the customer money, make it easier to support, and also facilitate more coordinated connections and support to their services like Anyplace TV, devices they support, home services, IPTV to come and so forth.

Many people will never need a router or extender (either wifi or cable supported - wifi didn't serve my needs, and fortunately my home is wired and my homes will always be wired).

Third party wholesalers like techsavy and local smaller providers actually don't sell gateways, they sell modems with routers, and you get the choice of what router system will work best for you.

So not to discredit what appears to be clear frustration about your WIFI reception, but the only thing companies, any company can assure is the wired connection to your gagteway and then to your device.  It is one of the reasons why so many offices and companies often don't use WIFI, except where they are providing guest services.

Yes, I went out and spent money to improve my wifi connections, but I can' blame Rogers for this, but it also means that Rogers will no longer support me if I call in about issues related to WIFI outside of their device.

Hope this clarifies some of the unfortunate realities.

Bruce

FITIMS
I plan to stick around

@arnym21

I am not expecting e Gigabit speed over WIFI, I knew that much. Not sure if you read in my previous posts and my only concern is before i switched my plan, the WIFI was super fast for me and consistent. As soon as I changed the modem/plan as an upgrade, I am getting worse internet than before. Nothing else has changed in my home/walls/neighbours... Just the plan changed and Hardware... If it was a little better than before I wouldnt of complained, but its worse and paying for higher speed.

@soupy
1. Nobody said wireless will ever be faster than wired. Common sense.

2. I will speak for myself and 75% of the population. Only the older generation that were born earlier than 1980 will still keep a wired connection...the new generation. Dont even know what wires are anymore lol... so the future will be wireless for home use.

3. I am willing to spend for better equipment if I know what will work and do the trick. Any suggestions?

@BS
Great points and I agree as well with you but as I mentioned to @soupy majority homes will be completely wireless. Offices/Corporations always will remain wired, but who cares for them, at work I dont care if I am wired or wireless... at home i do because I'm not using the internet from the same spot...

Anyway I think we are losing the initial idea as to why I was frustrated in the first place... How can a new plan with a new and latest modem/router be worse than before (in terms of WIFI).

@FITIMS if you read thru this post, or at least the portion with the history of the Puma 6 and 7 modem you might understand the rational for releasing the Intel Puma 7 based CODA-4582 last December. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Online-Gaming-Thread/m-p/411219#M49439

Given the ongoing latency issues with the Puma 6 modems which are the Hitron CGN3ROG, CGN3xxx and CGNM-3552 modems, my guess is that Rogers decided not to wait for the latency solutions for those modems and chose instead to push on with the development and release of the Puma 7 modem.  As a result, my guess is that the CODA-4582 may have been released sooner, rather than later, when additional pre-deployment testing had uncovered more of the initial problems.  It hasn't been a smooth introduction, but, in all fairness, Intel and Hitron have been rapidly developing updates for this modem.   At last count, there have been 17 firmware versions developed for testing and possible release over the last 12 months.  Not all firmware versions have been released as they have been rapidly superseded.  Intel and Hitron have been addressing the various issues as they have come up, including wifi performance.  Hopefully you will see a difference when the update trial version is loaded on your modem.  There is probably more that can be done in terms of performance improvements but I suspect that the emphasis so far has been to solve the various issues as they have arisen rather than explore the modem's capabilities.

As a general observation, poor wifi performance is not unusual in MSO supplied gateway modems.  These modems aren't designed or built for extremely high end performance.  Anyone wanting or needing that type of performance would have to invest in high end routers and wifi access points.  That would include equipment such as PfSense or Microtik routers or beyond, and Aruba wifi access points.  That equipment, at least the wifi access points require homes that are wired to provide optimum placement in the home.  One of the problems that we continue to run into on the forum is the lack of wired ethernet ports within the home that allow the home owner to place the equipment where its best suited to provide coverage throughout the home.  Some owners choose to build a new home and not include ethernet or RG-6 cabling during the build.  After moving in they discover that they are operating within a very busy wifi environment, fighting with their neighbors for clear channels and they end up having to buckshee some type of distribution system in order to use wifi for their laptops and smart tv's.  Thats a hard and expensive lesson to learn and at the end of the day, results in an unhappy home owner.  In some cases, beyond the modem or router, additional wifi access points are required.  To operate effectively that requires Cat-5e or Cat-6 or higher throughout the home.  Mesh networks are making their appearance in the market, but, personal opinion, those mesh networks have to operate in crowded wifi bands, along with everyone else.  I'll be very surprised to see anyone run a mesh network and claim to have higher speeds than one would achieve with a properly placed single wifi access point or via multiple wifi access points with an ethernet distribution system behind it. 

My personal opinion is that despite anyone's enthusiasm for wifi devices, you still need an ethernet distribution system behind it with enough locations throughout the home to effectively use wifi access points.  If everyone thought the way that you did and shifted to wifi only that would probably lead to multiple wifi access points in a good number of homes.  In my location within my neighborhood, I can already see at least forty 2.4 Ghz access points running and probably a dozen 5 Ghz access points as well.  The last thing that I want is more access points within my RF horizon as more users decide that "wifi only" is the way to go.  If we all think that way, we're doomed.  Wifi will become completely unusable due to the number of transmitters operating around us.  For everyone's benefit, it would be suitable to run a mixed network, wired wherever possible and wifi where necessary, including for mobility purposes.  That keeps the wifi channel utilization down so that everyone can enjoy reasonably fast wifi.  Without that type of approach, as I indicated above we're doomed, and in fairly short order.

FITIMS
I plan to stick around

@Datalink
Thanks for the read man. I am really enjoying all the information in this forum from various experts. Everything you said is true and I completely agree with everyone. All valid points. I really hope the new firmware will improve the speed. Will keep everyone posted once its pushed. (hoping soon).

As for everyone being on Wifi, I believe that will be the future... which sucks but maybe another solution will come in play. I did just recently build my home from scratch and never bothered with any ethernet ports because it was never an issue. If I had the same issue I have now, believe me I would of gone the other route.

As I was reading more, I noticed that someone mentioned about a release of V2. of the CODA4582 A2 I believe they are calling it and currently its in Trial mode but apparently will be the fix to a lot of the issues. Let's hope its not just a rumor.

Thanks again in advance for your time everyone.

HughR
I plan to stick around

Off topic, sorry.

I'm getting multiple notifications for some posts to this topic.  For example, I got 4 notifications for @Datalink's latest comment, each with a slightly different date stamp.  I got only one notification for @FITIMS's latest comment.

Any idea why?  @Datalink: did you edit your posting three times?  Oh, and thanks for the word "buckshee", new to me.  I did know its ancestor "baksheesh".  Your use doesn't quite match the definitions I read.

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@BS wrote:

I think in homes, as it stands with current technology that we will find a mix of wired and wireless technology.

On top of WiFi signal loss, Gigabit speed is simply NOT enabled in CODA, despite specs claim it can be. Hence, even in direct proximity to the source reception with such speed is not possible for a reason never explained to Rogers subscribers, despite they pay full price for modem rental based on its specs. I think RogersDave still needs to answer why exactly Gigabit WiFi speed is not enabled in CODA, and when & whether it ever will be?

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:
Without that type of approach, as I indicated above we're doomed, and in fairly short order.

As always in engineering field, some breakthrough may leave interference concerns behind, thus extending horizon for WiFi connections. It keeps happening with wired connections too, they enjoy higher and higher speeds all the time using exact same wired infrastructure. The right emphasis must be given to invest and find these WiFi breakthroughs rather then convince folks to hang on to old wired tech. It also saves money in building homes and the environment by decreasing the need in cables. Its paramount to ensure human safety too due to namely signal coding breakthroughs rather than opting for stronger and stronger numerous parallel connections.

@HughR

Re Post Edits Notifications forum software bug (or Rogers staff choice to have these Notification Settings switched off on the server to artificially increase forum attendance), you are invited to actively share your experience and requests in this thread.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@HughR, yup, there were two or three edits to my comment.  As usual, I always reread my post to make sure that it makes sense (I hope) and that I haven't missed any typos or spelling / grammatical mistakes.  And as usual there is always some small error buried in a paragraph somewhere, or, I don't feel that the wording really says what it was meant to say, so, ..... more edits.  As a result, you ended up with multiple notifications 😞

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@FITIMS wrote:

As for everyone being on Wifi, I believe that will be the future...

Life is unpredictable venture full of surprises. Looking from a different prospective, resolution of consumer video equipment and video footage tends to double every few years. Just a few days ago HDMI 2.1@ standard was released, which sets bandwidth support up to 10K @ 120Hz with tripled data rates at 42Gbps. Even if modern codecs like H265 etc. compress video footage more than current ones, still its only 50-60% of current codecs rates. So you increase source data rate 3 times, compress it 50% more efficiently - and still need to bump network bandwidth to pass it through.

With current trend to increase WiFi antenna power and multiply transmitters as an easy way to bump bandwidth, electromagnetic radiation inside a typical home may reach unreasonably high levels without providing any notable benefit, causing instead health problems. Especially given the fact many folks put these emitters right next to PC monitors and own heads. I wouldn't be surprised if more and more folks would opt for their whole house being wired with low oxygen low signal loss data cable to prevent totally unnecessary and easy to envision health problems, especially for young kids whose cells grow faster and are more sensitive to radiation. Leaving inside a microwave might be warmer in winter, but not necessarily pleasant experience. Smiley Wink

ggparts
I plan to stick around

@FITIMS wrote:

@arnym21

I am not expecting e Gigabit speed over WIFI, I knew that much. Not sure if you read in my previous posts and my only concern is before i switched my plan, the WIFI was super fast for me and consistent. As soon as I changed the modem/plan as an upgrade, I am getting worse internet than before. Nothing else has changed in my home/walls/neighbours... Just the plan changed and Hardware... If it was a little better than before I wouldnt of complained, but its worse and paying for higher speed.

@soupy
1. Nobody said wireless will ever be faster than wired. Common sense.

2. I will speak for myself and 75% of the population. Only the older generation that were born earlier than 1980 will still keep a wired connection...the new generation. Dont even know what wires are anymore lol... so the future will be wireless for home use.

3. I am willing to spend for better equipment if I know what will work and do the trick. Any suggestions?

@BS
Great points and I agree as well with you but as I mentioned to @soupy majority homes will be completely wireless. Offices/Corporations always will remain wired, but who cares for them, at work I dont care if I am wired or wireless... at home i do because I'm not using the internet from the same spot...

Anyway I think we are losing the initial idea as to why I was frustrated in the first place... How can a new plan with a new and latest modem/router be worse than before (in terms of WIFI).

Very well put, my expierience EXACTLY ! 

I bought a good ($200) router and most if not all my connection issues are resolved (no increase in wifi speed tests over my 100u but I seem to have resolved the dropped connections. Say what you will about the general ability for these "Gateways" to handle both wired and wifi connection, this CODA modem is IMHO a huge step backwords for home users that are expecting a "whole house solution" I have gained nothing by "upgrading" and in fact it has cost me $200 to purchase a router to compensate for the shortcoming of this device.