Did you mean: 

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@arnym21 when you get these slower speeds, are you connected to the router or to the modem, and how are you connected? (WiFi or Ethernet cable?). If the speeds you are experiencing are when you are connected to the router, it is likely that you need to reboot the router after you turn off gateway mode.

arnym21
I plan to stick around

I even factory reset the router to no avail. Connected both ways via wired Ethernet PC adapters - directly to the router, and to the modem. All adapters shown twice slower speed once I switched gateway off on the modem. The IP pull changed to totally different range. Once I activated Gateway on the modem, the IP range was back and the speeds too after yet another router and also modem factory reset.

@arnym21 what router do you have?  

When you have modem in Bridge mode, is the router running in full router mode?

When the modem is running in Gateway mode, is the router running in full router mode again, or as an Access Point?

Do you have IPV6 enabled in the router for either modem mode, Gateway or Bridge mode? 

Edit:  the change in external WAN address for the router is understandable.  When the modem is in Gateway mode and the router is running in full router mode, the router's external WAN address will be some address from the modem's IP pool.  When you change the modem to Bridge mode, the router's external WAN address will be as assigned by the Cable Modem Termination System.  There should be no change in the observed data rates unless there is a setting in the router that is causing slow rates when the modem is running in Bridge mode.  

arnym21
I plan to stick around

I'm trying to get the speeds I subscribed to on a Gigabit sub, so testing various configs in only wired setup for now. The router is configured in full router mode in both cases, and in reviews this model gives 960Mbps wired full duplex with optimized settings. Its not really a router issue, but either modem FW issue in Bridged mode, or Rogers IP pool segmented by broadband speed brackets. I should clarify the router in modem Bridged mode is assigned IP by CMTS from 98 range, while the modem in Gateway mode from 140 range, and these ranges seems to have different max speed limits on Rogers network. It may be a security or marketing measure, since Rogers doesn't offer G-subs to TPIA, and probably segregates its network accordingly, looking for certain MACs at IP assignment. Or it may be modem FW issue, but IPs are assigned by CMTS anyway. Another reason it may be a handshake issue possibly due to router FW less compatible with Rogers network. I noticed that when it struggled to negotiate speed with the modem on Port 1, so I had to set it manually.

Ok, but, what router model is it? 

arnym21
I plan to stick around

Sorry, its a security sensitive question, but its one of popular models. Smiley Happy How it affects the outcome? It works very well otherwise.

tyreman
I plan to stick around
Make sure QOS is off

SFShakeel
I plan to stick around

@tyreman

QOS is has no option to turn off. Buttons are pretty much grey out.  FYI, I am using test/beta .33 firmware. I am facing same issues as @arnym21 is.

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@tyreman wrote:
Make sure QOS is off

In the modem - I can't find QoS settings? Can I login to the modem Web UI in Bridge mode, and how? I was running .33 test FW, and had to factory reset by button to get out of Bridge mode, so modem reverted to production FW in Gateway mode. Forger to mention above, IPV6 was off in both scenarios on the modem and router.

Opps, found the modem UI is also accessible from LAN at http://192.168.100.1/login.html in Gateway mode. Pls someone confirm, this IP will work in Bridge mode?

SFShakeel
I plan to stick around

I am not sure why am I receiving over 10 emails for one reply!!

arnym21
I plan to stick around

I guess each post edit is considered a separate reply by the server? Or may be each Autosave? Smiley LOL

It looks like the modem may be assigned some LAN IP in bridge mode by your router, and in addition probably has a few backdoor IPs for good guys looking for more info from your LAN or service. Smiley Tongue Try these techniques in Bridge mode to find out its IP(s). Otherwise you're going to revert to factory FW on reset.

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@RogersTony wrote:
our Gateway Modems are not available to purchase outright.

I was told by chat, Rogers no longer offers ANY modems for sale from Sep. 2017. Is that correct, and what was the reason for that? I mean, a long term customer can pay off the modem many times over by renting it, and still own the original modem price upon service cancellation if lost, since Rogers won't prorate to customers amortized equipment cost.

@arnym21, if you want to pm the router model to me that would help.  Otherwise, as a site volunteer, I don't have time to go looking for a needle in a haystack among dozens of popular routers in service today.  Probably the same with the other REs.  If you don't want to do that, there isn't much that I can do for you.  In terms of security issues, as long as you're not advertising your modem's mac address or ip address in this or any other forum, indicating your router model is pretty mundane.  I see far worse on other forums and I will insist that anyone who posts their modem's mac address or ip address in this forum remove it from their post or I'll ask one of the mods to do the same.  I do that to ensure that members of this forum don't jeopardize their online security. 

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
@robw83

Can you please verify that your network card has been set to 1 gigabit full duplex instead of Auto Detect? I find that sometimes the auto detect does not work well.

When you log into the modem and under Advanced and switch control, what speeds do you see for the wired devices?

Thanks

lukevan
I've been here awhile

I understand there are some issues with the production firmware and I'd like to try the trial firmware as I understand it may help. Please advise on how to download / install.

@lukevan, to request the trial firmware follow this link @CommunityHelps to navigate to the @CommunityHelps page when you are signed into the forum.  On the right hand side of the page is a link titled "Send this user a private message".  Use that link to navigate to the next message composition page.  It will already be addressed. 

1.  Fill in the title with CODA-4582 Trial Firmware Request.
2.  In the text area, include your request, including the modem MAC address and Serial number. The modem MAC address and serial number can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or copied from the data located in the Status page of the modem when you are logged into the modem.

Send that info to @CommunityHelps and you should see a reply later today.

When you're logged into the forum, watch for a number overlaying your avatar at the upper right hand corner. Follow the avatar link down to the message inbox to acknowledge the waiver that is required for the trial firmware.  When that is acknowledged, you should see the firmware loaded later today or tomorrow.  When you know that the firmware has been loaded, reboot or restart the modem.  Don't run a factory reset as that will return the modem back to the latest production firmware which is what your modem is currently running. 

On the other hand, if you find that the modem reboot issue comes up, and you're not satisfied with the trial version performance, running a factory reset will result in returning to the latest production firmware version.  You could then send a message to @CommunityHelps to remove your modem from the trials list.

If that version solves the slow data rate issue, please let me know.  If you're ok with the modem's performance and wish to stay on the trials list, you don't have to do anything.  The modem will be updated to the latest trial versions as they become available.  Usually, within a month to two months, the trial version is released as the latest production version unless of course something comes up during the trial period that requires further firmware changes. 

lukevan
I've been here awhile

Thanks. I've made the request and I will report back with results.

Thank you.  You can use the same message system to send a message to anyone on the forum.  Simply click on their name to go to their public page when you're logged into the forum.  Same approach, "send this user a private message".  Fill in the details and hit send......

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:
If you're ok with the modem's performance and wish to stay on the trials list, you don't have to do anything.  The modem will be updated to the latest trial versions as they become available.

So in case you reset the modem and it reverted to production FW, next time the trial FW gets new build, it will be auto updated again to that release?

Yes, the next trial build should be loaded at some point in the future. 

daveinsurgent
I plan to stick around

I am noticing substantial bufferbloat issues using the CODA-4582 and latest prod firmware.

Simply running a ping google.ca will spike to 2000ms latency if I run fast.com test at the same time.

This happens with the router in bridge mode connected via an R7000 router, both with the latest stock Netgear firmware or custom (asuswrt) it also happens with a Windows or Linux PC connected directly to the modem, still in bridge mode. I have run the ping on one machine and the fast.com test on another and I've also done the regular in-browser (thus on the same machine) test from DSLreports.

So I've tried multiple devices, and multiple network topologies. I went as far as using an old PC as a Linux-based router, and configuring network shaping. At best I can get to a "B-grade" bufferbloat - around 300ms spikes, with a reduction in overall bandwidth via that router.

Is it worth requesting trial firmware? Is there anything in the pipe that may fix this?