Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Alright, I've exchanged for a modem with the black dot. It says the hardware version is 1A and the firmware is  2.0.10.26T2. So it should automatically update the firmware to 2.0.10.27 soon and the issue with the Guest network will be resolved?

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@David161 I think you understood me wrong. Unfortunately 2.0.10.27 does not fix the issue with the guest network however version 2.0.10.29 will most likely fix that issue. 2.0.10.29 Should be releasing within the next 2-3 weeks.

However, it is good that you exchanged your modem with the black dot to ensure that you have shielding against interference. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ah darn, I guess it was wishful thinking. I actually did think the current firmware fixed the issue on the black dot modems as it was originally reported as resolved until I said I still had the problem. I guess getting a shielded modem is good, even though I didn't have issues which I could attribute to shielding.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been reading this thread, and I'd like to understand the mentality of fighting this battle with the CODA-4582.  Why are you doing this.  Is Rogers forcing you to use the CODA?  It provides virtually no benefits over the Rocket modem.   If Rogers is providing something that is defective from the get-go, and making excuses about different dotted versions, different cabling, shielding, etc, then this product is not as advertised and there should be a lawsuit.  Class-action.  Or at least provide a free rocket modem, take this off the market, and stop using the customers as a huge beta test like was done with Navigatr (as you recall, it took 18 months from launch to get the Navigatr to a point where it was somewhat acceptable).    Explain to me why it's so important to you to have this "Docsis 3.1" and CODA.  Two threads with hundreds of pages of questions.  Why isn't the media reporting on this? 

Not trolling here, just a serious question. 

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

To me, I think it's simple. The CODA hands down is definitely a stronger modem than the Hitron A.C lineup and it provides many benefits.

For example, the new CODA supports 802.11ac WAVE 2. This technology has MU-MIMO (multiple input multiple output) which allows the gateway to simultaneously talk to multiple devices at time which significantly lowers latency on WiFi devices and gets rid if that annoying WiFi slow-down that is seen on the Hitron A.C. series.

I have noticed how scaringly close the latency is with Ethernet. When watching the same livestream with my Galaxy S7 and computer, my Galaxy s7 would only be 2-3 seconds behind my computer which is connected by Ethernet.

I also do quite a lot of gaming and the CODA significantly improves with this due to its use of DOCSIS 3.1. This in particular is the reason why I switched to this modem. I realized the potential of this technology and how it could lower ping, improve speeds, and lower congestion through its use of OFDM/OFDMA carriers. As a gamer, I find it important that this will improve my gaming experience

In no way Rogers would want to take this modem off the market. It frees up congestion within the network and it definitely worth it especially when they made it clear that they still want to make use of the cable infrastructure. Plus, they need to compete with Bell and it makes it very cost effective to deploy D3.1 CMTS' and modem compared to Bell's 1+Billion fiber rollout.

Despite all the headaches with this modem, I believe that it was worth it going through the problems and providing feedback. With the community feedback we're able to improve the Internet service for everybody in the network just not ourselves. It's pretty humbling to be honest.
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

I agree with you @RyzenFX , was quite the run but D3.1 on the downstream had a HUGE impact for me here, I can't wait for D3.1 upstream to be deployed.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I obviously don't speak for anyone except myself, but I see your point and absolutely agree.

My "adventure" started with an email from Rogers which said I was REQUIRED to upgrade my modem. This was not optional and it specifically said I needed to exchange my old modem for the new one.

Soon, I discovered browsing files from a WIFI connection was not working. As I have computers which only connect via WIFI, this was a crucial problem that I could not go without. Since I didn't experience the problem with my old modem, I posted in the forum describing the issue. That's when I found out it is a known problem and the beta firmware fixed it; thus I had no option but to accept their beta firmware agreement. As you've probably read, fixing some issues also brought on regression problems where the Guest network stopped working. I don't know all the different problems being worked on, but, for certain this is just one of many even though the modem is released to the public.

I personally believe some sort of compensation is in order since being their beta tester was not fully voluntary. I hope Rogers realizes the frustration they forced upon us and would do the right thing.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@David161 thank you for the clarification. I had no idea that people were forced to accept this modem.  I have never received such an email and feel fortunate for that.   I regularly watch these forums (did so similarly for Navigatr for 16 months, until I decided it was time to upgrade my old TV box running SARA to a Navigatr experience).  I will watch with interest to see whether this so-called new gateway that is being worked on will be released. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink Turns out it was just an error on my end. For some reason my router switched to SLAAC instead of DHCPv6, and was looking for a static IP. Anyway, I seem to have a 19/20 result from ipv6-test.com which I'm pretty happy with.

This begs just one more question, has Rogers not assigned any IPV6 hostnames yet? Because I don't seem to be getting one, hence the 19/20 result. I'm pretty sure it's not a big deal but I was just curious about that.

- Hiitchy
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Hiitchy Rogers doesn't assign an IPV6 hostname and I don't know if there are any plans to do so.  I suspect that there are no plans to do so.