Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

@Biollw @Datalink @Gdkitty 

Since the XB6 (Arris or Technicolor) can be used in bridge mode, using your own router as a Hub connected to the Xi6 set top boxes for IP TV. Is there a technical reason why the Hitron 4582 cannot be used? I understand that the Hitron doesn't have a telephone connection....but you can add a Tel Modem on the Coax. Just trying to understand if there are any technical limitations between these modems or just Rogers Ignite marketing.  Is the Rogers digital signal processing different between these modems to deliver content to the home? Of course for TV, you'll need a set top box like the Xi6 with HDMI to the TV ( for wireless) or coax cable connected to a Digital Box ( ie. Netbox.) Just trying to separate the technical vs marketing hype. 

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

I think you have to take a step back - when you are in Ignite TV land, you are in Comcastland with the Comcast billing system, whatever phone switching platform is used for the home phone (I believe it's different from what's used for the legacy Rogers Home Phone), etc. In part because the Comcast stuff was... not really designed for integration with anybody other than Comcast's legacy systems, I think they've just made a decision to start fresh using all the approved Comcast hardware and the old hardware, whether it could be made to work in Comcastland or not, is relegated to the legacy platform.

Is that at least partly driven by marketing? Maybe, since the Ignite TV 'vision' isn't really doable with the legacy modems in the same way as with the XB6. Or it could just be a desire to simplify - keep in mind that right now, the new world only has to support two variants of XB6, the Xi6, the mesh gear, and the mobile apps, compared to the legacy world that supports who-knows-how-many-modems (3 variants of CGN3, the 4582, the CGN2, the older SMC D3.0, the Cisco ... 3825, was it?..., not to mention potentially some DOCSIS 2.0 modems), a whole range of TV boxes (DTA, the older pre-nextbox non-HD boxes, 8300HD, 4642, 8642, 9865, whatever the 4K one is), who knows how many eMTAs for phone, etc.

(But while I don't know for sure, I would presume that the XB6 and the 4582 Hitrons tune to exactly the same DOCSIS 3.0/3.1 channels...)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@VivienM , Thanks.....I think we're on same wave length. Legacy is a challenge for anyone including ISP's. Future is costly, since it involves gambling on right vision/technology and major cap exp. You're making an assumption that both the 4582 and XB6 are tuned same (32 channels DOCSIS 3.1 > 4.0?) and therefore no diff in Signal Processing....If true, than the XB6 should be the only Modem/Router/WiFi hub Rogers should offer going forward.  ...and Legacy modems replaced over time as plans expire. They still would control the proprietary signal at the Modem level.....but it would allow for Tech Savvy customers to manage their own Routers/WiFi Hubs  ....and to connect to a Rogers Set Top Box client for Rogers IP TV content.  Hi-Speed internet is key....and content can be packaged and obtained from multiple sources, including Rogers IP TV channel offerings. Comcast and others are dealing with same challenge. I understand the Marketing side......but like to better understand the underlying technology flowing through these pipes....ideally FTTH if we want to get to 50Gbps speeds tomorrow. Interesting times ahead.....  Any Rogers techs willing to comment?   The Modem strategy should be transparent and good for all to know......The money is in Service & Content Offerings.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Why can’t I use the qos on this a modem ? When I get to the settings to turn it on I can’t select it ? Would like to setup it for gaming but I can’t.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am trying to put in a custom DNS for IPV4 and when I do it asks for me to install them again. I'm thinking it has to do with leaving the IPV6 blank.

Can rogers disable the IPV6 in the modem?

Highlighted

Hello, @Geezup.

Thank you for your post. Yes, you can disable IPv6 on the CODA-4582 modem. The setting to disable IPv6 is found under the Basic/Gateway Function menu; you can select IPv4 and save changes to disable IPv6. 

Under the Basic/DNS menu, you can select 'Manual' to add custom DNS Server IPs and save changes. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I did that and when I hit enter i get a [Error: Please input the DNS information!] It never did this with the CGN3.

Highlighted

Hello, @Geezup.

Have you modified the LAN or WAN settings? If you have changed the DNS servers in WAN Setup, then you can't change them in the DNS menu. 

Thanks,
RogersMoin

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Why is my lamp white for download speed and also I checked this modem isn’t docics 3.1 my old one was and was purple I don’t know why the tech gave me an old one

Hello, @FiberInternet

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. All CODA-4582 modems are DOCSIS 3.1 and backwards compatible. When the downstream signal locks on to DOCSIS 3.1, the light turns light blue. You may be seeing the whitish colour, but be assured it has locked on to DOCSIS 3.1 downstream signal. I appreciate your understanding. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin