Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Hello. I just switched from rogers 100U to Gigabit and i was told that the modem i will receive when i trade in my current modem is the CODA4582U .

I have a few questions:

1) I read that there were issues with some of these CODA gigabit modems.. Is the 4582U the newest model they have available,  and have previous issues been resolved in this model?  If not what model should i ask for ?

2) I plan on using my own router and wifi hardware.. Is it possible to bridge this modem? In doing so does this remove the issues that other people were facing with theses modems?

3) reading the last few posts here some people were talking about some security issue that was newly found... is this applicable to this U version of the modem?  Also is this issue only when using it in NON-bridged mode?

Thanks for your time in answering my questions. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I just exchanged my modem today and got a 4582U with NO black dot.

I Plan to Stick Around

1. I do not know if it is the newest modem, I received mine two weeks ago and it is the same model, mine was a closed white box (not taped) but the modem had not been used as sticky wrap was all on it.

2. Yup, every modem can be bridged, every router too unless the firmware does not allow it.  If you had a mesh network in your home already you would want to keep using that and put the modem in bridged mode.   Log in to the modem, go to basic settings, then gateway function,  and choose Residential Gateway Function -> disable.

3. It is only an issue in using it as a normal router indeed, your dnsmasq service will go through your own router if you put it in bridged mode.

The only thing I would warn about is the connection between your router and the bridged modem.  Please make sure it is a certified cable (the yellow one in the box is).  If you want to perform speed tests do it from a connected machine over a wire directly to the modem and not through your router.  A slight loss will be there when you do it through your router as you add 1 hop to the ping tests.

Wireless AC is and remains a struggle, my modem gets so hot I can barely put my hand on it so please make sure it has sufficient airflow (I had to place it more in the open) and make sure all plastic is removed.

I reboot the modem at least once a week, but that is just me, feel that the throughput for my PS4 has improved but man the wireless, sitting 3 meters from the modem, just sucks.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the response.

I picked up the modem and i have been performing some tests on it directly before i bridge it.

So far so good, I have software version 2.0.10.28T2 on it, and i have no idea if that is latest or not. Hardware version is 1A. 

The interface is similar to my previous hitron rogers modem that i used for 100U.

I have disabled the wifi (2.4 and 5G) after i performed a few tests.

Are there any other items that are recommended to be disabled before i turn off the residential gateway and bridge this modem?  

I noticed that there are also UPNP and SIP ALG items on the same gateway function page that has the Residential Function.. Should i disable those before i bridge, or will bridging basically disable everything it needs to?  (IIRC my old modem did not have those entries on that page)

I Plan to Stick Around

I had that firmware when I picked it up as well, it did not take long and it was on:

Hardware Version1A
Software Version

2.0.10.33T03

You do not need to turn anything off if you put it in bridge mode, it will all turn itself off as in bridge mode.  It will become a passthrough device, the only thing is the link between your router and the modem, there is further no interfacing at all.  You can still access the modem though should you want to revert.  Normally they would tell you to hold down the reset for 10 seconds but accessing 192.168.100.1 will let you into the router with the same user and password as you installed it with.  Turning on bridge mode will reboot the modem of course 😉  (It made my daughter scream at me because her Netflix buffered - #first_world_problems)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can disable those functions before kicking the modem into Bridge mode, but, the reality is that none of those functions work when the modem is in Bridge mode.  If you disable UPNP now, that will ensure that when you switch the modem back into Gateway mode thru the user interface, that UPNP will be off when the modem starts operating in Bridge mode. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@aelaan, with reference to your comment on wifi rates, can you have a look at the following post, specifically the sections on wifi settings and monitoring your wifi environment.  Hopefully that will help.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/399949#M47222

Is the modem sitting upright?  I'm surprised at your comment regarding the heat that the modem emits. 

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the response.

I have gone ahead and put it in bridged mode.

I am now currently testing it and it seems i have the same issue many others here have posted. Whereby i can't seem to get decent download speeds through my Netgear Nighthawk router.  Download speeds through my netgear router seem to be capped at 250Mbps when using the internet regardless if i am wired or using 5G Wifi AC with my Gigabit Intel NIC or intel AC wifi.  I was able to get much higher ~600Mbps when directly connected to the Rogers Hitron CODA-852U both Wired or over its 5G wifi AC connection.

I have verified that the standard culprits (proper cables, proper NIC link speeds, rebooted router) are all ok. This capped speed must be some setting or issue with My Netgear router.  I have checked things like QOS which was always off, and SIP alg is also off on router. There really isn't that many settings to adjust on the Factory Firmware so I am not sure why it goes so slow, given that i get much faster speeds when i use my local Intranet with the same netgear router (either via wifi or wired). For example i can easily push Files locally from PC to PC or my server at well over 500+ Mbps using the same Netgear router.

Looks like I have some extra reading to do to figure out why this is going so slow through my router. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mr_interested running stock firmware or DD-WRT?  

Try kicking the modem back into Gateway mode using 192.168.100.1 to access the modem.  Then just for trial purposes, keep the router connected and see what you get for ethernet data rates thru the router.  Don't worry about the firewall on the router, you'll end up with a secondary firewall which shouldn't make difference.  I do this with my Asus router when running tests with the modem as I'm too lazy to reconfigure the router.  

Edit:  Have a look at the following thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Does-QOS-disable-CTF-Hardware-acceleration/t...

After you disabled QOS, reboot the router to see if that changes the CTF state.  With the Asus routers, there are other functions that will disable CTF, such as traffic monitoring, filtering, etc, etc.  I would suggest a factory reset on the router followed by a close inspection of all of the functions.  Turn off everything except for the firewall and any packet scanning functions.  See if that makes a difference in the throughput for the router. 

Edit 2:  In case you are running DD-WRT, have a look at the following thread concerning CTF.  Its a little dated now, but still applicable in the case of DD-WRT:

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1049630

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink I had already gone through that excellent write up.  I am in a residential area and luckily found some quiet channel range to be used. 

Yes the modem is standing upright, it is fully populated but I have a lot, and I mean a whole lot, of wireless connections in my place.  I have at least two laptops connected, plus a phone and two tablets, wife and daughter each at least 1 laptop and a tablet and their phone.  We have three TV's and one of them is always streaming something in the afternoon, be it netflix or be amazon video.  Right now it is lukewarm, but in the evening hours it seems to get much hotter.  Most wireless connects at N or AC, I do not use B at all any more.  The modem is basically in the open, lots of airflow around it, the room where it resides is around 20 degrees C.  I think it could be surrounding equipment, like the TV that is causing more heat in one spot, will look into that.