Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

@Double_K its very easy.  

1.  Log into your modem (assuming Gateway mode in operation) using 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1

2.  Navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab.  

3.  Disable the Residential Gateway Function.

4.  Save the changes.  The modem will reboot into Bridge mode.

5.  Connect your router, and if you are arriving from another modem, run a factory reset on the router to clear out any current settings that are specific to the old modem.  Re-enter the appropriate parameters from scratch, don't reload them from a backup file.  When the new parameters are entered and running, create a new backup file.

To reset the modem back to Gateway mode, you can either:

1.  run a factory reset using the reset button at the back of the modem.  Hold for 30 seconds and release.  The modem will reboot back into Gateway mode with the previous settings wiped (painful :()

2.  Log into the modem thru the router, or using a direct connection using 192.168.100.1 as the login address.  After logging in, navigate to BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION, and re-enable the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the setting.  The modem will reboot back into Gateway mode with its previous settings intact (hurrah :)) 

Note that 192.168.100.1 can be used when the modem is in Gateway mode or Bridge mode.  192.168.0.1 can only be used when the modem is in Gateway mode. 

Edit:  one additional point, Rogers modems, in Bridge mode will support more than one device connected to the modem.  The modems will supply two IPV4 addresses and apparently an unlimited number of IPV6 addresses, so, you can have two devices running in Dual Stack mode (IPV4 and IPV6), and in theory, additional devices connected running IPV6 only.  I run two routers for test purposes and that works very well.  

How can I sign up for BETA firmware for this? I would like to pass this device into bridge mode so I can run either a pfSense or Untangle box.

Thanks,

Neil

@neiltgorman to request the trial firmware follow this link @CommunityHelps to navigate to the @CommunityHelps page when you are signed into the forum.  On the right hand side of the page is a link titled "Send this user a private message".  Use that link to navigate to the next message composition page.  It will already be addressed. 

1.  Fill in the title with CODA-4582 Trial Firmware Request.
2.  In the text area, include your request, including the modem MAC address and Serial number. The modem MAC address and serial number can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or copied from the data located in the Status page of the modem when you are logged into the modem.

Send that info to @CommunityHelps and you should see a reply later today.

When you're logged into the forum, watch for a number overlaying your avatar at the upper right hand corner. Follow the avatar link down to the message inbox to acknowledge the waiver that is required for the trial firmware.  When that is acknowledged, you should see the firmware loaded later today or tomorrow.  When you know that the firmware has been loaded, reboot or restart the modem.  Don't run a factory reset as that will return the modem back to the latest production firmware which is what your modem is currently running. 

On the other hand, if you find that you're not satisfied with the trial version performance, running a factory reset will result in returning to the latest production firmware version.  You could then send a message to @CommunityHelps to remove your modem from the trials list.

If you're ok with the modem's performance and wish to stay on the trials list, you don't have to do anything.  The modem will be updated to the latest trial versions as they become available.  Usually, within a month to two months, the trial version is released as the latest production version unless of course something comes up during the trial period that requires further firmware changes. 

Just to point out, you don't need the trial firmware to run the modem in Bridge mode.  You can do that at any time, and swap back and forth from Gateway to Bridge mode and back again.  Have a look at the following post on switching the modem to Bridge mode and back again:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Hitron-CODA-4582-Hardware/m-p/416182#M50394

Zaphod64
I plan to stick around

Hi,

I have recently moved from a Rogers 100u service to the Gigabit service with the CODA-4582u modem (Hardware version 1A, Firmware version 2.0.10.28T2) and I have some questions about how to interpret my new modem speed results.  Previous to moving to the Gigabit service I had recently tracked my download/upload speeds on my previous service using three speedtests that I will call:

Rogers Speedtest #1 - http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html

Rogers Speedtest #2 - https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/internet-speedtest

Speedtest #3 – Speedtest by Ookla Windows 10 app (I realise that all three tests are from Ookla).

On my 100u service I consistently received download speeds averaging 130 Mbps as measured by either of the two Rogers Speedtests (#1 and #2) above.  My speed was consistent (within a few Mbps) whether I used a direct Ethernet cable connection or 5G Wi-Fi anywhere in my house.  The Speedtest by Ookla app usually reported results about 115 on Ethernet and 100 on 5G Wi-FI (thus slower speeds than the two Rogers tests.)

(I will only discuss 5G Wi-Fi and not 2G Wi-Fi speeds as I only use 5G and I will ignore upload speeds as they are as expected, 10Mbps with my 100u modem and 30Mbps now.)

Now that I am using the Gigabit modem, my speedtest results vary wildly depending on which test I use (and also whether I am using 5G Wi-Fi or a direct Ethernet Connection).

Using Rogers Speedtest #1 – I report average download speeds of 765 Mbps on direct Ethernet connection and 330 on 5G Wi-Fi. (While I am not happy with these results - especially the Wi-Fi speed) they are at least significantly faster than the 130 Mbps I received with my previous modem). But if use Rogers Speedtest#2, I only report average download speeds of 215 Mbps on direct Ethernet connection and only 135 on 5G Wi-Fi (essentially no change in 5G speed from my previous modem). If I use the Speedtest #3 I receive speeds of about 150 Mbps on Ethernet (faster than old modem) but only 95 Mbps on 5G Wi-Fi (actually slower than my previous modem).

I followed the recommendations from @Datalink regarding modem Wi-FI settings under http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/399949#M47222

and I still observe the above noted speed results under all three speedtests. I have also used the WirelessNetView program as suggested to confirm that no other modems are using the same channel as I am using for my 5G Wi-Fi connection. Often when I check there are no other 5G connection in range (all the rest are 2G connections). I also note that the WirelessNetView program stated my maximum speed as 1733 Mbps and my average signal strength at 98% (and I am working in my house away from the modem.)

I have some questions I was wondering if you could assist with:

1. Which speedtest results should I be using to assess the download performance of my modem to determine what speed problems I might have and how bad they are - before I consider contacting Rogers. Previously the results of the two Rogers speedtests (tests #1 and #2 noted above) were interchangeable to me – and even wired versus 5G download results were near identical. Now Speedtest #1 shows I receive 765Mbps download speed on Ethernet but test#2 and #3 show much lower speeds of 215 and 150 respectively.

I think this above question may need to be answered before the rest of my questions can answered.

2. While my previous modem reported consistent download speeds for wired and 5G Wi-Fi (regardless of where I connected in my house my 5G Wi-Fi speed averaged no more than 7% slower from the Ethernet connected speed), my new modem reports significantly lower 5G Wi-Fi speeds than for connected (35% to 60% less depending on the test) and also significant differences depending on where I am located in my house (using the Speedtest #1 – using 5G Wi-Fi close to the modem gives me speeds 67% faster than using Wi-Fi elsewhere in the house).  I know a lot of factors can impact Wi-Fi speed in a house but I was wondering if this seems reasonable that I would receive such download speed deterioration by moving from wired to Wi-Fi and from moving within my house when previously I experienced little/no speed reduction with my 100u modem.

3. Assuming it is reasonable to receive such speed reduction, is installing a separate router with external antenna the answer? While I can see this increasing Wi-Fi speed when I am farther away from the modem, I can’t see how this would help much with my slow 5G Wi-Fi speeds when my device is right next to the modem.

4.Would a firmware update possibly help with speed problems?

I apologize for this long post.  Any comments you could provide would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

0x
I plan to stick around

l lost IPv6 connectivity completely on 2017-12-20, anyone else run into this? =( 

Also, I did a factory reset and lost access to the beta firmware, so my device connected via MoCA no longer work. Ugh.

Windwalker
I plan to stick around

IPV6 Question

Hi, I have searched to no avail.

I just installed a new Asus RT-AC86U.  Wanted to have a nat firewall and was able to get this router at a good price.

It asks for the IP's IPV6 settings.  There is a tab where I can set this up.

Do I choose "native" and all the auto options?

Does anyone know which settings work with Rogers?

It runs well, a bit faster on the 5GZ than the Coda.  Still have to test the range.

Wired results are the same.  I usually get 930 down and 45-50 up on the Coda.

Thanks

Windwalker
I plan to stick around

@Windwalker wrote:

IPV6 Question

Hi, I have searched to no avail.

I just installed a new Asus RT-AC86U.  Wanted to have a nat firewall and was able to get this router at a good price.

It asks for the IP's IPV6 settings.  There is a tab where I can set this up.

Do I choose "native" and all the auto options?

Does anyone know which settings work with Rogers?

It runs well, a bit faster on the 5GZ than the Coda.  Still have to test the range.

Wired results are the same.  I usually get 930 down and 45-50 up on the Coda.

Thanks

I found the Rogers IPv6 Status thread and a post (follows) from @Datalink solved the issue (Message 500 of 503).  Thanks @Datalink for your ongoing contributions to these forums.  I also found an image an image with the Asus settings for an R7000 confirming going with the "native" option.

@timlocke try this.  Connect the router to the modem, make sure that the router is powered up and then restart the modem, pull the modem power, wait for about 15 seconds and plug it back in to force a restart, which should result in the router picking up the IPV6 addresses.  I've noticed that the modem, or CMTS doesn't necessarily respond when a device is plugged into a bridged 4582, and that it might take a couple of modem restarts before the router IP addresses are assigned.  With the modem in Bridge mode, in theory it acts as an invisible bridge to the CMTS, so, is this a failure of the modem, or the CMTS, in terms of responding to the IP request?  Don't know at the present time...

daveinsurgent
I plan to stick around

I've seen some people claim that Puma7 is also a problematic chipset for lag and packetloss. I continue to experience packetloss.

My internal network is rock solid. Hooking my PCs directly up to the CODA in bridge mode (bypassing all NAT and firewalls) still has packetloss during gaming. Something is wrong. Either with the Rogers network beyond my house or the modem. Rogers insists the network is fine.

CODA-4582 Network Vulnerability 

I ran a WIFI Inspector check with Avast Antivirus and found the following:

We have identified the following problem with your router or Wi-Fi hotspot device:

DnsMasq heap buffer overflow vulnerability

Severity: High

Reference:

We have identified the following problem with your router or Wi-Fi hotspot device:

DnsMasq heap buffer overflow vulnerability
Severity: High

Reference: CVE-2017-14491 | Google Security Blog

Description:
The affected device's DNS service is running an outdated version of the DnsMasq software which is known to have a heap buffer overflow vulnerability. A remote attacker can gain control of your network device and your Internet connection by sending malformed DNS packets to the device. It allows the attacker to intercept connections and perform a traffic hijack, or execute arbitrary code with unrestricted privileges as well as access all important and private data stored on the device -- your device login/password combination, your Wi-Fi password, and your configuration data.

Impact:
Any device connected to your network, including computers, phones, tablets, printers, security cameras, or any other networked device in your home or office network, may have an increased risk of compromise.

Recommendation:
The issue was fixed in DnsMasq software version 2.78, released in October 2017.

To solve the vulnerability on your device, apply the firmware or system update that contains DnsMasq software version 2.78 or higher provided by your device's manufacturer.

If an update addressing the vulnerability is not yet available for your device, you can secure your router or Wi-Fi hotspot with a strong password to minimize risks imposed by the vulnerability. We also advise you not to visit suspicious websites or run software from questionable sources.

Description:
The affected device's DNS service is running an outdated version of the DnsMasq software which is known to have a heap buffer overflow vulnerability. A remote attacker can gain control of your network device and your Internet connection by sending malformed DNS packets to the device. It allows the attacker to intercept connections and perform a traffic hijack, or execute arbitrary code with unrestricted privileges as well as access all important and private data stored on the device -- your device login/password combination, your Wi-Fi password, and your configuration data.

Impact:
Any device connected to your network, including computers, phones, tablets, printers, security cameras, or any other networked device in your home or office network, may have an increased risk of compromise.

Recommendation:

To solve the vulnerability on your device, apply the firmware or system update that contains DnsMasq software version 2.78 or higher provided by your device's manufacturer.

If an update addressing the vulnerability is not yet available for your device, you can secure your router or Wi-Fi hotspot with a strong password to minimize risks imposed by the vulnerability. We also advise you not to visit suspicious websites or run software from questionable sources.

What does that mean?

aelaan
I plan to stick around

CVE-2017-14491

What that means is that they can redirect your DNS requests which can lead to a "man in the middle" attack.  Say you wanted to logon to your bank which is a at a certain IP address (let's keep it simple: 7.8.14.23 as an IP address).  But you type in "https://myaccount.atmybank.com "(all examples).  DNS would normally point you to 7.8.14.23 but because you are not connecting directly to your DNS provider there is a chance for an injection as we call it.  So it will still get you to 7.8.14.23 but using an extra hop or two going through a DNS server of the attacker.  They capture the data, generally it is encrypted and sites are pretty good these days, but your data could be captured somewhere and stored and maybe not today but at some point in the future if you keep using the DNS entrees they might collect more and more data to perform an attack.  To perform this injection they will however need to hack into your software on the modem first and for us simpletons there is not enough meat on the bone so even though there is this vulnerability it is highly unlikely that someone would go through the length - once a script kiddy gets there hands on this code and can reproduce it performing a dDOS things will get more serious.  By the way my modem got updated to 

2.0.10.33T03

Maybe the fix is done, I was at 28T2 when I picked the modem up last weekend.

I am also trying to connect my storage to CODA-4582. Is it fixed?

HughR
I plan to stick around

@Marabi wrote:

CODA-4582 Network Vulnerability 

I ran a WIFI Inspector check with Avast Antivirus and found the following:

Impact:

Recommendation:

What does that mean?

I'm impressed that the tool identified this bug in the router.  I assume that it is correct.

Why did you include two copies of the same message?

The message contained an explanation.

The router firmware includes a buggy version of dnsmasq.

Through somewhat tricky means, a Bad Guy can send a network packet that will cause dnsmasq to misbehave (a heap buffer overflow).

It is possible for the packet to be designed so that the attacker can take over the router.  Once he has done this, he can act as a "man in the middle" for all your internet traffic (all of which goes through the router).

A man in the middle has almost unlimited powers for mischief.

I don't understand how their recommendation of not visiting scary sites has any effect.  Maybe they mean "don't resolve any scary domain names", almost impossible to follow and not perfectly effective.

What to do?

• ignore the problem -- exploiting this bug is hard.  Any attack probably has to be tailored to the specific firmware.  Surely Rogers will come up with a fix soon, just like all the other problems with this modem 🙂
  • the bug is likely in the router part of the device.  Switch to bridge mode and use your own router.  This assumes that your own router doesn't have this bug.  Probably should test it first with Avast's Wifi Inspector

You should report this to Rogers.  But I don't actually know how to report this kind of bug to Rogers.  Years ago I had DHCP problems that were caused by Rogers server not conforming to the RFCs.  I phoned support but they had no way to report this to engineering.

erexa
I've been around
My modem has TV and powerline TP Link Av1000 connected to it with Cat7 cables (tried it all cat5e cat6 cat7)
Tv negotiates 1000mbps but tplink negotiates only 100mbps.
Any idea why? The powerline is gigabit

Mayoo
I plan to stick around

Guys, so is rogers still putting black stickers on CODA modem ? 

I don’t think so. I just picked another one and there was no black sticker the only thing I see that was diff there is a U after 4582

Peter_os
I've been here awhile

When does Rogers plan to enable the usb storage on the Hitron CODA-4582 modem? I can't get mine to work.

mr_interested
I'm here a lot

Hello. I just switched from rogers 100U to Gigabit and i was told that the modem i will receive when i trade in my current modem is the CODA4582U .

I have a few questions:

1) I read that there were issues with some of these CODA gigabit modems.. Is the 4582U the newest model they have available,  and have previous issues been resolved in this model?  If not what model should i ask for ?

2) I plan on using my own router and wifi hardware.. Is it possible to bridge this modem? In doing so does this remove the issues that other people were facing with theses modems?

3) reading the last few posts here some people were talking about some security issue that was newly found... is this applicable to this U version of the modem?  Also is this issue only when using it in NON-bridged mode?

Thanks for your time in answering my questions. 

Kalson
I've been here awhile

I just exchanged my modem today and got a 4582U with NO black dot.

aelaan
I plan to stick around

1. I do not know if it is the newest modem, I received mine two weeks ago and it is the same model, mine was a closed white box (not taped) but the modem had not been used as sticky wrap was all on it.

2. Yup, every modem can be bridged, every router too unless the firmware does not allow it.  If you had a mesh network in your home already you would want to keep using that and put the modem in bridged mode.   Log in to the modem, go to basic settings, then gateway function,  and choose Residential Gateway Function -> disable.

3. It is only an issue in using it as a normal router indeed, your dnsmasq service will go through your own router if you put it in bridged mode.

The only thing I would warn about is the connection between your router and the bridged modem.  Please make sure it is a certified cable (the yellow one in the box is).  If you want to perform speed tests do it from a connected machine over a wire directly to the modem and not through your router.  A slight loss will be there when you do it through your router as you add 1 hop to the ping tests.

Wireless AC is and remains a struggle, my modem gets so hot I can barely put my hand on it so please make sure it has sufficient airflow (I had to place it more in the open) and make sure all plastic is removed.

I reboot the modem at least once a week, but that is just me, feel that the throughput for my PS4 has improved but man the wireless, sitting 3 meters from the modem, just sucks.

Thanks for the response.

I picked up the modem and i have been performing some tests on it directly before i bridge it.

So far so good, I have software version 2.0.10.28T2 on it, and i have no idea if that is latest or not. Hardware version is 1A. 

The interface is similar to my previous hitron rogers modem that i used for 100U.

I have disabled the wifi (2.4 and 5G) after i performed a few tests.

Are there any other items that are recommended to be disabled before i turn off the residential gateway and bridge this modem?  

I noticed that there are also UPNP and SIP ALG items on the same gateway function page that has the Residential Function.. Should i disable those before i bridge, or will bridging basically disable everything it needs to?  (IIRC my old modem did not have those entries on that page)

aelaan
I plan to stick around

I had that firmware when I picked it up as well, it did not take long and it was on:

Hardware Version1A
Software Version

2.0.10.33T03

You do not need to turn anything off if you put it in bridge mode, it will all turn itself off as in bridge mode.  It will become a passthrough device, the only thing is the link between your router and the modem, there is further no interfacing at all.  You can still access the modem though should you want to revert.  Normally they would tell you to hold down the reset for 10 seconds but accessing 192.168.100.1 will let you into the router with the same user and password as you installed it with.  Turning on bridge mode will reboot the modem of course 😉  (It made my daughter scream at me because her Netflix buffered - #first_world_problems)