Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

@Anu1 is your streaming protocol RTMP by any chance?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@DatalinkYes it does use RTMP as the streaming protocol. Is there a known issue with it?

EDIT: I searched around and found this thread and I assume this is why you asked?

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Throttling-RTMP-to-Twitch/td-p/403319/page/6

I see that using a VPN is a working workaround. Or is downgrading the router to the older CGN ones a better workaround?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Anu1, I don't believe it makes any difference as to what modem you have from Rogers.  They're either an Intel Puma 6 (CGN3xxx / CGNM-3552 modem) or Intel Puma 7 modem (CODA-4582).  In either case, you will run into the same issue.  Looks like the only way out of this, until this is eventually sorted out, is to run a VPN, or switch to TPIA provider and use a modem that isn't Intel Puma 6 or 7 based.  Have a look at the comment in the other thread by @abelmacneil:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Throttling-RTMP-to-Twitch/m-p/415878#M50330

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

How easy is it to switch it into bridge mode (and let me use my own WiFi/router)? Thanks, @Double_K.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Double_K its very easy.  

1.  Log into your modem (assuming Gateway mode in operation) using 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1

2.  Navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab.  

3.  Disable the Residential Gateway Function.

4.  Save the changes.  The modem will reboot into Bridge mode.

5.  Connect your router, and if you are arriving from another modem, run a factory reset on the router to clear out any current settings that are specific to the old modem.  Re-enter the appropriate parameters from scratch, don't reload them from a backup file.  When the new parameters are entered and running, create a new backup file.

To reset the modem back to Gateway mode, you can either:

1.  run a factory reset using the reset button at the back of the modem.  Hold for 30 seconds and release.  The modem will reboot back into Gateway mode with the previous settings wiped (painful :()

2.  Log into the modem thru the router, or using a direct connection using 192.168.100.1 as the login address.  After logging in, navigate to BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION, and re-enable the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the setting.  The modem will reboot back into Gateway mode with its previous settings intact (hurrah :)) 

Note that 192.168.100.1 can be used when the modem is in Gateway mode or Bridge mode.  192.168.0.1 can only be used when the modem is in Gateway mode. 

Edit:  one additional point, Rogers modems, in Bridge mode will support more than one device connected to the modem.  The modems will supply two IPV4 addresses and apparently an unlimited number of IPV6 addresses, so, you can have two devices running in Dual Stack mode (IPV4 and IPV6), and in theory, additional devices connected running IPV6 only.  I run two routers for test purposes and that works very well.  

Highlighted
I've Been Around

How can I sign up for BETA firmware for this? I would like to pass this device into bridge mode so I can run either a pfSense or Untangle box.

Thanks,

Neil

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@neiltgorman to request the trial firmware follow this link @CommunityHelps to navigate to the @CommunityHelps page when you are signed into the forum.  On the right hand side of the page is a link titled "Send this user a private message".  Use that link to navigate to the next message composition page.  It will already be addressed. 

1.  Fill in the title with CODA-4582 Trial Firmware Request.
2.  In the text area, include your request, including the modem MAC address and Serial number. The modem MAC address and serial number can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or copied from the data located in the Status page of the modem when you are logged into the modem.

Send that info to @CommunityHelps and you should see a reply later today.

When you're logged into the forum, watch for a number overlaying your avatar at the upper right hand corner. Follow the avatar link down to the message inbox to acknowledge the waiver that is required for the trial firmware.  When that is acknowledged, you should see the firmware loaded later today or tomorrow.  When you know that the firmware has been loaded, reboot or restart the modem.  Don't run a factory reset as that will return the modem back to the latest production firmware which is what your modem is currently running. 

On the other hand, if you find that you're not satisfied with the trial version performance, running a factory reset will result in returning to the latest production firmware version.  You could then send a message to @CommunityHelps to remove your modem from the trials list.

If you're ok with the modem's performance and wish to stay on the trials list, you don't have to do anything.  The modem will be updated to the latest trial versions as they become available.  Usually, within a month to two months, the trial version is released as the latest production version unless of course something comes up during the trial period that requires further firmware changes. 

Just to point out, you don't need the trial firmware to run the modem in Bridge mode.  You can do that at any time, and swap back and forth from Gateway to Bridge mode and back again.  Have a look at the following post on switching the modem to Bridge mode and back again:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Hitron-CODA-4582-Hardware/m-p/416182#M50394

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

I have recently moved from a Rogers 100u service to the Gigabit service with the CODA-4582u modem (Hardware version 1A, Firmware version 2.0.10.28T2) and I have some questions about how to interpret my new modem speed results.  Previous to moving to the Gigabit service I had recently tracked my download/upload speeds on my previous service using three speedtests that I will call:

Rogers Speedtest #1 - http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html

Rogers Speedtest #2 - https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/internet-speedtest

Speedtest #3 – Speedtest by Ookla Windows 10 app (I realise that all three tests are from Ookla).

On my 100u service I consistently received download speeds averaging 130 Mbps as measured by either of the two Rogers Speedtests (#1 and #2) above.  My speed was consistent (within a few Mbps) whether I used a direct Ethernet cable connection or 5G Wi-Fi anywhere in my house.  The Speedtest by Ookla app usually reported results about 115 on Ethernet and 100 on 5G Wi-FI (thus slower speeds than the two Rogers tests.)

(I will only discuss 5G Wi-Fi and not 2G Wi-Fi speeds as I only use 5G and I will ignore upload speeds as they are as expected, 10Mbps with my 100u modem and 30Mbps now.)

Now that I am using the Gigabit modem, my speedtest results vary wildly depending on which test I use (and also whether I am using 5G Wi-Fi or a direct Ethernet Connection).

Using Rogers Speedtest #1 – I report average download speeds of 765 Mbps on direct Ethernet connection and 330 on 5G Wi-Fi. (While I am not happy with these results - especially the Wi-Fi speed) they are at least significantly faster than the 130 Mbps I received with my previous modem). But if use Rogers Speedtest#2, I only report average download speeds of 215 Mbps on direct Ethernet connection and only 135 on 5G Wi-Fi (essentially no change in 5G speed from my previous modem). If I use the Speedtest #3 I receive speeds of about 150 Mbps on Ethernet (faster than old modem) but only 95 Mbps on 5G Wi-Fi (actually slower than my previous modem).

I followed the recommendations from @Datalink regarding modem Wi-FI settings under http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/399949#M47222

and I still observe the above noted speed results under all three speedtests. I have also used the WirelessNetView program as suggested to confirm that no other modems are using the same channel as I am using for my 5G Wi-Fi connection. Often when I check there are no other 5G connection in range (all the rest are 2G connections). I also note that the WirelessNetView program stated my maximum speed as 1733 Mbps and my average signal strength at 98% (and I am working in my house away from the modem.)

I have some questions I was wondering if you could assist with:

1. Which speedtest results should I be using to assess the download performance of my modem to determine what speed problems I might have and how bad they are - before I consider contacting Rogers. Previously the results of the two Rogers speedtests (tests #1 and #2 noted above) were interchangeable to me – and even wired versus 5G download results were near identical. Now Speedtest #1 shows I receive 765Mbps download speed on Ethernet but test#2 and #3 show much lower speeds of 215 and 150 respectively.

I think this above question may need to be answered before the rest of my questions can answered.

2. While my previous modem reported consistent download speeds for wired and 5G Wi-Fi (regardless of where I connected in my house my 5G Wi-Fi speed averaged no more than 7% slower from the Ethernet connected speed), my new modem reports significantly lower 5G Wi-Fi speeds than for connected (35% to 60% less depending on the test) and also significant differences depending on where I am located in my house (using the Speedtest #1 – using 5G Wi-Fi close to the modem gives me speeds 67% faster than using Wi-Fi elsewhere in the house).  I know a lot of factors can impact Wi-Fi speed in a house but I was wondering if this seems reasonable that I would receive such download speed deterioration by moving from wired to Wi-Fi and from moving within my house when previously I experienced little/no speed reduction with my 100u modem.

3. Assuming it is reasonable to receive such speed reduction, is installing a separate router with external antenna the answer? While I can see this increasing Wi-Fi speed when I am farther away from the modem, I can’t see how this would help much with my slow 5G Wi-Fi speeds when my device is right next to the modem.

4.Would a firmware update possibly help with speed problems?

I apologize for this long post.  Any comments you could provide would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

l lost IPv6 connectivity completely on 2017-12-20, anyone else run into this? =( 

Also, I did a factory reset and lost access to the beta firmware, so my device connected via MoCA no longer work. Ugh.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

IPV6 Question

Hi, I have searched to no avail.

I just installed a new Asus RT-AC86U.  Wanted to have a nat firewall and was able to get this router at a good price.

It asks for the IP's IPV6 settings.  There is a tab where I can set this up.

Do I choose "native" and all the auto options?

Does anyone know which settings work with Rogers?

It runs well, a bit faster on the 5GZ than the Coda.  Still have to test the range.

Wired results are the same.  I usually get 930 down and 45-50 up on the Coda.

Thanks