Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Also remember, there is also 2.4 ghz interference from non-wifi devices, also it depends on the other routers broadcasting and what mode they are in and if your modem detects them or not. Remember if they can communicate with each other according to 802.11 spec, they will hold off on broadcasting and can coordinate transmits to to not interfere as much. If you have a collision, your device whether it be the modem or your phone or whatever will be forced to retry, this is where interference kills throroughput. You can also have too strong of signal remember the lower the negative rssi the stronger. Anything below -40 rssi can be less than ideal if very close. Wifi has a sweet spot on distance and signal strength in order for it to link up at the best speeds, remember wifi is always negotiating the connect speed and the further away the harder this is. It drops down the speed in order to achieve reliability of the link. Hope this helps to explain wifi 101 to all those who are not tech people. It is very complicated and challenging in high interference areas such as urban areas. Best of Luck getting favorable performance.
I'm Here A Lot

Some devices will support 450 mbit on 40 mhz channels on 2.4 ghz and 5ghz but mostly only on 5ghz
I'm Here A Lot

Also on the 5ghz settings under advanced you can enable the DFS bands to gain a few more channel possibilities maybe those will be less interference. Honestly there needs to be wireless consultation services in cities like Toronto, I would be interested in offering and working with Rogers and Bell to try to eliminate some issues as policy and also to have happier customers.
I'm Here A Lot

Also you can turn 2.4ghz to only n-mode if you don't have any legacy devices. They won't be able to connect if they are 802.11b or 802.11g
I'm Here A Lot

I just upgraded my Internet service today and got the new CODA-4582U modem. Tried to set it up to bridge mode and am experiencing the exact same problem that you described - third party hardware will not work... so frustrating. 

I'm Here A Lot

Same issue here... got this CODA modem today and when I put it into bridge mode, my Linksys router would not work... had to reset the CODA to go back to default settings. Very frustrating.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@amarcel, what router do you have?.  Sometimes, when changing modems, you have to run a complete factory reset on the router in order to get the router to work with the new modem.  We've seen that before.  Yes, its a pain to have to reenter the parameters, but, hopefully that will result in a working combination.  Usually from what we've seen, moving from one Hitron modem to another isn't an issue, although with the 4582, there have been issues in the past with DLink routers.  

Edit:  Ok, I see that you're using a Linksys router.  I don't recall Linksys routers proving to be a challenge when connecting to a Hitron modem.  I would flip the modem back into Bridge mode and then, with the router powered up and running, run a factory reset on the router.  

You can log back into the modem when its running in bridge mode by using 192.168.100.1 as the login address.  After logging in, navigate back to BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION, and reenable the  Residential Gateway Function.  Save the change and the modem will reboot back into Gateway mode with its previous settings intact. Running a Factory reset to accomplish the change from Bridge mode to Gateway mode will result in the modem parameters being set to their default values. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi amarcel,

Really understand.

Until now my wifi with rogers modem is up and down.

Sometimes 2.4 G download rate is better than 5G.

Hi Datalink,

Is it better for me to set Rogers modem to bridge mode and set up 3rd party router?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

"Is it better for me to set Rogers modem to bridge mode and set up 3rd party router?"

Yes.  But, the same can be said for the vast majority of ISP Gateway modems worldwide.  My advice for anyone who relies on wifi is to buy a reasonable router with external antenna.  You don't have to go uber expensive, but at the same time, don't go cheap either.  The one exception to the external antenna recommendation is Ubiquiti UniFi access points.  UniFi users seem to be pretty pleased with those access points from what I've seen.  

https://www.ubnt.com/

If you're having problems with wifi, have a read thru the following post, specifically the section on wifi settings and checking your wifi environment.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/399949#M47222

I'm Here A Lot

Hi there - Thanks for your note, but I am trying to accomplish the opposite of what you described. The new CODA-4582 modem that I got today came with the "home gateway" setting enabled by default, but I actually want to run it on the "bridge mode". When going to 192.168.100.1 and switching the modem setting to "bridge mode", the internet immediately stops working on my Linksys Velop mesh router. I am able to log on the modem and switch it back to "home gateway" so that my router will resume working, but that defeats the purpose, since my goal is to have the modem on "bridge mode" AND get the router to work.