Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

@bayden10 are you running your modem in Gateway or Bridge mode?

I Plan to Stick Around

@bayden10 wrote:

The firmware that Shaw currently uses with their Hitron Modems would be very helpful I'm sure for many Rogers customers.

Does Shaw use CODA modems as well? Different Hitron modems have varying hardware, and as a result different firmware. I realize you're mostly referring to DMZ implementation. I wonder if you can post some screenshots and give other user mode specifics, possibly also on other subjects, like to what degree traditional Router & WiFi controls are exposed in Shaw branded router & modems UI?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Shaw uses the Hitron CGNM-2250 which is a 28 x 8 modem, very similar to the Hitron CGN3 series modems that Rogers uses. 

One primary difference is that Rogers Hitron modems support two separate IP addresses in Bridge mode, so, an additional IP passthrough isn't required as the Rogers modems and network already support the simultaneous use of two IP addresses.  

If the idea is to run an IP passthrough for the purposes of a separate IP address, while the modem is in Gateway mode, my personal advice would be to buy two routers and run the modem in Bridge mode , or buy a reasonable router that provides the required DMZ performance mode and run the modem in Bridge mode.  It all depends on the requirement for a separate (secondary) IP address.

Having said that, there is a problem on the go at the moment, either with the 4582 modem or with Rogers DHCP system.  At the present time I won't get a secondary IP address through my 4582, which is a very recent development, so, either this is a recent modem firmware issue (.33T3), or a CMTS DHCP issue.  I've already asked @RogersDave to look into this but haven't heard back from him yet. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink,

Thanks for clarification. When I get 5 Post Edit notifications in the row, I know its Datalink posted something, as you're very careful in wording content. Always a pleasure to read, and useful. Smiley Happy

I didn't try the 2 IP feature yet. Would you care to explain, in what aspects it may be beneficial, and how exactly it works with 2 routers?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its pretty simple in operation.  Connect two routers or devices of your choice to the modem when the modem is in Bridge mode.  Restart/reboot the modem by pulling the power, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in to force the restart/reboot.  Each device will be assigned a separate IP address during the modem reboot, both IPV4 and IPV6 that are independent of each other.  In that configuration, you are running two separate networks.

So, you could use that to run two networks for separate users in the home.  If you run a VPN for some purpose, such as video streaming, and you wanted to run the VPN on its own network with its own DNS address, that is one way to accomplish that.  If you wanted to run a separate gaming network, so that you can use UPNP (which I don't recommend) while leaving the other household network on its own without UPNP, that is one way to accomplish it.  So, its a matter of imagination, in terms of how you want your own internal networks to run.  If you have a requirement to run some device on its own, as long as you have an ethernet or wifi pathway to that device, it can be done with the modem's second IP address capability.

One point to keep in mind, if you only have a single printer in the home, it will only be accessible from one network.  The modem will not provide any cross over between the two networks.  Each network is independent and running on its own. The modem's max data rate is a shared resource between the two networks.

So, if you happen to have a couple of routers on hand, they can both be put to use, running off of the modem.  For anyone who happens to run an Asus router, you can run a secondary DNS address in the router by using Merlins's Asuswrt firmware, which has that capability built in.  

I Plan to Stick Around

It sounds like a great feature to use, in particular for privacy and security reasons while accessing select sites. Some guys who are banned on certain forums or eCommerce portals due to bad character, will certainly find it handy. Yet both IPs will be assigned from common Rogers IPs pull thus limiting usability in anonymous browsing. Smiley Wink

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Is there any advantage, other than simplicity, to doing this rarcher  than VLANs?  Could that give you the same thing where you have one “regular” internet connection and one using a VPN to appear to be in the US, to name just one example,.  

You are are still limited by your original speed when using two DNS addresses, are you not?  If you get 320 down, which I do on my 250 service, it isn’t like you will now simultaneously get 320 down on both addresses, correct?

I've Been Here Awhile

Does the CODA-4582 support Jumbo Frames?

I cannot find any means to set the MTU on the LAN side of the CODA-4582.  Anyone know if this is supported?

Thanks.

Hello @GolfGeek,

Welcome to the Community Forums, and thanks for reaching out.

Unfortunately, this isn't supported on the modem side.  You might be able to set this up on your network adapter via device manager, but I'm honestly not certain that would work for you either. Smiley Frustrated

You may want to seek the advice of our Resident Experts @Datalink or @gp-se for suggestions.

RogersShaun

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the answer, but I have already have it set up on my Ubuntu system and my NAS.   No device manager here.  Smiley Happy

If the switch on the CODA doesn't support it, then the configuration on the rest of the elements is ineffective.  

Any chance this can be put in as a feature request @Datalink or @gp-se?