Did you mean: 

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

coder_1990
I plan to stick around

I was just thinking how the ones affected by the coda-4582 problems should get a gateway from a different supplier, at least until this is fixed. It sounds like a lot of the affected have compatible ac routers anyway, but I guess Rogers feels like they are moving fast enough with updates to get this out of the way. If they did that though, you're right, their marketing of included wifi would be affected.

sputnik62
I'm here a lot

I use Apple AirPort Express as a way to pipe music over AirPlay from Macs and iPhones. It also extends my Wi-Fi.

This used to work very well when I used my Netgear R7000 router. When I upgraded to CODA-4582 I connected the Airport Express via Ethernet to the CODA-4285.

1. When AirportExpress is configured to extend either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz Wi-Fi network my internet connectivity drops to 2.5Mbps and AirPlay is almost unusable because of stuttering
  2. When I disable Wi-Fi on the AirPort Express both my LAN and Internet speed return to normal

It seems there is a serious Wi-Fi conflict between CODA-4285 and the AirPort Express. Both Airport Express and CODA-4285 are in the same room only about 3-4ft. apart.

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
If Rogers gave us the option to use a standard modem I would happily purchase my own.
I'm going to follow Dave's advice and switch my modem but I'm definitely going back to the CGNM 3552, as it's pretty obvious the coda isn't quite ready for prime time.

@soundwave80 wrote:
If Rogers gave us the option to use a standard modem I would happily purchase my own.
I'm going to follow Dave's advice and switch my modem but I'm definitely going back to the CGNM 3552, as it's pretty obvious the coda isn't quite ready for prime time.

Here's the thing you are forgetting: all modems/gateways need firmware, and firmware is delivered by your cable company. If there are bugs in the firmware, the bugs will stay until your cable company pushes new firmware to it. So, in my view, the last thing you want is to purchase some unusual modem. That just guarantees it will take longer to fix the bugs... 

Honestly, here is what I think this comes down to: the last straight modems in Rogersland were the SB5100 Motorolas, which were shockingly reliable. Everything since has had bugs, both in the gateway side and the cable side. (With the DPC3825 8-channel Cisco probably having less... but... it still can't support IPv6 so clearly it has its flaws too) Somehow, people have presumed that a straight modem would be as magically reliable as the old SB5100s. I see no reason that that would be true (unless, perhaps, like the American MSOs, you were still running 8-channel D3 gear today - I presume the bugs in those have long been fixed).

Take, for example, the CGN3ACSMR/Casa CMTS lockup bug.  That was nasty and painful. (Meanwhile, my 4582 has been a dream compared to that) There's no reason a straight modem could not have been affected by that bug just much as the gateways. 

Hi Dave after multiple reboots and unplugging now all channels are there. I sent you my MAC address in a pm previously. 

Did you find a way to resolve your issue: can't access NAS drives etc.

yyzsam
I plan to stick around

Woke up to DOCSIS 3.1 (purple downstream light) this morning.

Modem went offline line right at 12:06am and came back up 12:45.

Ironically I had a tech in early yesterday due to intermittent outages (specially during rainy/snowy weather) since a utility pole was replaced in October.

He replaced all the connectors at the cable ends and I also asked him removed a splitter in the external box. He then ran up the ladder to the overhead cables and noitced the connecter was broken and rusty. Dammit Bell/Acon!

Once back online I noticed the singal strength went up, it was usually 4-6 but now it is 6-8.

Sadly during speed tests I would lose a connection, each and every time. I was ready to call this morning about it but then speedtests were stable and then I ntoiced the purple downstream light. Speeds are now rock solid and latency and jitter has droped to single digits.

I do get the odd link error if I put it under heavy load, multiple speeds tests and netflix streams running but much better than before. I don't get these erros on my slower DSL line and I was fine when on .13. Hopefully it is eliminated with the next firmware upgrade.

I'm downtown eatside, eastend of Riverdale.

speedcheck.JPG

I'm at Donmils and Shepard still no 3.1. Why does the speed and latency get better when on docs 3.1 ? What's the diff ? Any way to find out when I will be getting it on In my area ?

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Speed and Latency are much better in D3.1 that's why as a gamer I've been waiting for so long for 3.1

Do you play online games? if so, can you please test and tell me how much your ping went down?

yyzsam
I plan to stick around

I play a little, lately it's BF1 on XB1. Didn't have issues before so not sure if I'll notice any difference.

markopas
I plan to stick around

@philharmonic wrote:
Thanks for the details re: guest SSID. I actually find it weird having a completely open SSID. I think that's more hackable than just simply having it secured via WPA2.

Also, the error message you got most likely means that you hard coded an IP address in to your network card settings when you connected to the guest SSID. If you set the network card to automatically obtain an IP address (DHCP), then the error should disappear.

Thought I already replied to this - I am not statically assigning an IP addresses to anything so I dont know if this is a bug or something else.  Would need someone else to compare with who using a CODA-4582 on f/w .19

@VivienM wrote:

Hey @RogersDave,

Quick question. Ever since I got upgraded to D3.1 earlier this week, I see this in my D3.0 downstreams channel:

Notice how 17-24 are 64QAM, and duplicates of other channels.

Is this normal? I don't think it's affecting anything, just looks weird...

@VivienM, This is clearly a bug in the GUI. These channels should have been "missing". In any case, I checked with a remote test and your modem is affected by interference and will required a swap. With 3.1 enabled, you may not see much impact but for best results, it should be done at some point.

@shawnie wrote:

Hi Dave after multiple reboots and unplugging now all channels are there. I sent you my MAC address in a pm previously. 

@shawnie, If you were missing channels and rebooting brought them back, I suspect this is only temporary and your modem will need to be swapped regardless. If you want me to check, resend me a PM with your MAC in the subject line (sorry, I get about 30 private messages a day, I lost track of your MAC).

@stevencanto wrote:

Did you find a way to resolve your issue: can't access NAS drives etc.

@stevencanto, This problem is listed in this issue list.

It will be resolved in firmware 2.0.10.21.

Dave

markopas
I plan to stick around

How do we know if we are on DOCSIS 3.1?

@RogersDave what's the ETA for the .21 f/w for non-beta testers?

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

I don't seem to have any issues with my CODA 4582(white), can you confirm I can keep it and don't need to swap it?

@markopas wrote:

You will know you are on DOCSIS 3.1 based on the colour of the downlink light in front of your modem. Blue (same as uplink) is DOCSIS 3.0. Light-blue is DOCSIS 3.1.

Firmare 2.0.10.21 will enter start final certification phase mid-february. This should bring us to a deployment, early March. That is the plan of record but because this firmware contains critical fixes, there may be an interim firmware before that (which would shift the version numbers and would make the early March firmware 2.0.10.22).

For participants in the firmware trial program, I will push 2.0.10.21T1 probably this week.

Dave

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

@RogersDave

I don't seem to have any issues with my CODA 4582(white), can you confirm I can keep it and don't need to swap it?

Your modem looks clear of interference issues.

Dave

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Thanks Dave, that's awesome!

markopas
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:

@markopas wrote:

You will know you are on DOCSIS 3.1 based on the colour of the downlink light in front of your modem. Blue (same as uplink) is DOCSIS 3.0. Light-blue is DOCSIS 3.1.

Firmare 2.0.10.21 will enter start final certification phase mid-february. This should bring us to a deployment, early March. That is the plan of record but because this firmware contains critical fixes, there may be an interim firmware before that (which would shift the version numbers and would make the early March firmware 2.0.10.22).

For participants in the firmware trial program, I will push 2.0.10.21T1 probably this week.

Dave

Ok, I would like to get on the bandwagon and give the new f/w a shot.  Will have to get my mac address once I get home this evening.

Vikentieff
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave - so any idea why the modems are rebooting every day at night? I noticed mine just rebooted at 3:05PM for no reason at all. No use of any kind, just light browsing on one machine, idling, then went into a reboot. Before that the modem would reboot every night at around 3AM-4AM. It did not do it today however, and instead rebooted at 3PM as I mentioned. Are those some kind of test you're running? You've mentioned my modem is Ok and does not require swapping so I'm wondering what is the cause of these reboots.

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
Tech came to swap my original CODA back to the CGNM 3552 and gave me the original CGNM and downgraded my speed . SMH

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

For anybody wanting to know what's new with 2.0.10.21T1 please look at the second post of this thread.