Did you mean: 

Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor
2,050 REPLIES 2,050

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

AaronMT
I plan to stick around

Is there any source for that announcement? If not, it sounds like FUD to me.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

That's what I am thinking..

RyzenFX

I can CONFIRM that the modems with the black dots are being recalled. I just called my local Rogers store (Major Mac & Dufferin) and they confirmed that they just received a memo stating that all CODA-4582 modems with the black dots are being recalled. They don't know why it is being recalled, but they stated that they will be receiving a new stock of modems tomorrow. I will swap it then and let you know if anything is different.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Hmm so it is true. good thing I am with the white version!

I should of waited before I got this modem just got it yesterday now need to swapp it 

Called a rogers store next to my house and they confirmed black dot is indeed getting recalled. This is getting embarassing, I can't believe I'm paying for this quality of service. Jesus.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

I feel bad for those of you that have to swap again, hopefully they won't recall the white version as well.

But why ? Is there a hardware issue - ( fire ) what they don't even know why , this is ridiculous

mhs2
I plan to stick around

A tech literally just left my house after swapping my CODA out for a black dot version and now it might be recalled?.  It's amazing how bad my experience with Rogers has gotten since I switched from the 100/10 to the gigabit bundle.

Vikentieff
I plan to stick around

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

I feel bad for those of you that have to swap again, hopefully they won't recall the white version as well.

Well, the black dot version was supposed to replace the "white" version for all means and purposes, so de facto it has been recalled...

Gee, this is getting annoying, only got my old CGN swapped for a doted version 3 days ago... CODA-4582 - a samsung galaxy note 7 of cable modems! What's next, a green dot? No really, what are they replacing it with?

Webslinger
I plan to stick around
The black dot one is better for me than the original. At least I'm not losing channels with the black dot version.

RyzenFX

@Vikentieff wrote:

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

Well, the black dot version was supposed to replace the "white" version for all means and purposes, so de facto it has been recalled...

Gee, this is getting annoying, only got my old CGN swapped for a doted version 3 days ago... CODA-4582 - a samsung galaxy note 7 of cable modems! What's next, a green dot? No really, what are they replacing it with?

That's what I'm trying to figure out, I'm genuinely curious what is new with the modems that are supposed to replace the black dot versions. 

In the first place, Rogers should've done testing for a few more months instead of rushing the product out. It's a really really good modem... if Hitron and Rogers gave it some time to polish we would be at a better state.

14N
I plan to stick around

they're recalling the black dot probably to replace it with red dot Smiley Very Happy

I was planning to swap mine with the black dot this weekend, good thing I did not swap earlier

lethalsniper
I'm an enthusiast
Any info yet ?

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

So what exactly is replacing the black dot coda modem?  At least I am glad I didn't BUY the modem.  I would be pretty upset if you spend $$ only to get a paperweight.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

We will need to wait until an official annoucement on what's next.

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:

In the first place, Rogers should've done testing for a few more months instead of rushing the product out. It's a really really good modem... if Hitron and Rogers gave it some time to polish we would be at a better state.

But it seems Rogers rushed it out because of the problems with the Puma 6 latency... would everybody be better off if they were running Puma 6 modems for 3-6 months longer?

@Alex4161 wrote:

So what exactly is replacing the black dot coda modem?  At least I am glad I didn't BUY the modem.  I would be pretty upset if you spend $$ only to get a paperweight.

Rogers doesn't sell modems anymore. They stopped when they launched the Ignite plans which actually include modem rentals...

(The previous Hybrid Fibre plans were advertised with a modem-including price, but the modem rental was broken out separately on the invoice and you could buy a CGN3 and they wouldn't charge you the $12/month modem rental component anymore. Earlier plans had a separate modem rental charge.)

I think they came to the conclusion, correctly, that having customers with purchased CPE creates huge political problems with technology upgrades since those customers will resist moves to newer technologies. You see this in the U.S. where many, many customers are still running (purchased) 8x4 D3 modems... or older.

That reminds me, I have a purchased CGN3 sitting downstairs. Oops.

AaronMT
I plan to stick around

It would be great to get some details about this recall. I literally swapped my modem on Tuesday. What's different this time around? Do Rogers stores have them in stock?

Double_K

@VivienM wrote:

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:

But it seems Rogers rushed it out because of the problems with the Puma 6 latency... would everybody be better off if they were running Puma 6 modems for 3-6 months longer?

As one of those who aren't affected, I'm very glad Rogers came out with the CODA-4582 when they did.  Had nothing but problems with the Puma 6 modem and had to go back to the Cisco DPC3825 before this new modem came out.  Maybe all these problems will convince Rogers to launch the Broadcom BCM-3360 based DOCSIS 3.1 modem from Netgear

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/CM1000.aspx

RyzenFX

Most likely if they were to go for a Broadcom based D3.1 unit, they would go for a gateway. Too many customers would be upset switching to a modem.