Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
I'm a Reliable Contributor
Posts: 607

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

@Triple_Helix

 

Is the server in your basement? Smiley Tongue

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 98

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware


@VivienM wrote:

@HKPolice1 wrote:

Just upgraded to this modem today from a 250U plan to Gigabit. Bufferbloat is killing me. I can't sustained more than about 350Mbit/s downstream before it starts spiking ping times to over 300ms for other users.

 

Does using an aftermarket router help or should I return this modem for the previous model?


I don't think returning this thing is a good idea - Rogers is trying hard to get the 3552s replaced so they can deploy DOCSIS 3.1 (which the 4582 supports). 

 

 

Also, in terms of getting another router and bridging this thing - that's usually a very good idea (though I don't know if it would help here - @Datalink?), though I think you have to be very careful (and spend big $$$$$) to find a router that will actually do NAT at gigabit speeds. 


Well, I have a D-LINK DIR-895L and refuse to install DD-WRT on my router.  The firmware is still too new and based on the very little response I am seeing on their forums, it's not good and causing big issues so I will stick to my factory firmware which works until something more concrete is usable.

 

With that being said, I still have a very expensive paperweight which used to work on the previous 3552 modem in bridged mode but since moving to this 4582 - just like others have mentioned with D-LINK routers that it's not handing out IP's bridge mode.

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 30

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware


@HKPolice1 wrote:

Are you guys using an external router or the one built into the modem? I wonder if I should bother even trying another router.

Using pfSense - so external router. Last week, I was hitting 925mbit/s ... but since then my speeds have collapsed.

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 17

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

I recently upgraded from the 250U plan /w the CGN3-ACSMR modem to Gigabit /w CODA-4582.

 

Previously, I was able to sustain roughly ~300Mbit downstream speed while having relatively stable ping times of ~50ms to the default rogers gateway. Now the ping times are spiking to over 300ms with  even when I throttle the downloads to around 350Mbit. If I don't throttle my download speed, ping packets will time out constantly.

 

What is the point of a Gigabit connection if 1 person downloading causes everyone else to lag? My brother games everyday and he never complained about lag when I was using the old modem. Now whenever I download anything, he complains about lag and how it's ruining his game.

 

Is it possible to swap back to the old modem until Docsis 3.1 is deployed?

 

PS: Already have the latest firmware installed 2.0.10.19 and using a 3rd party router: Netgear R7000 /w hardware acceleration on, can hit speedtests results of around 850Mb/s but upstream is limited to around 36Mb/s.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 928

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware


@HKPolice1 wrote:

 

Is it possible to swap back to the old modem until Docsis 3.1 is deployed?


The ACSMR isn't supported for gigabit plans; you'd have to get a 3552 which is the 32-channel Puma 6-based model.

 

 

I have no other substantive suggestions to offer, sadly... though I admit that based on the facts you've given, I would be tempted to consider downgrading back to the 250 plan unless you got a crazy deal like the $99 deal... 



I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 17

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware


@VivienM wrote:

@HKPolice1 wrote:

 

Is it possible to swap back to the old modem until Docsis 3.1 is deployed?


The ACSMR isn't supported for gigabit plans; you'd have to get a 3552 which is the 32-channel Puma 6-based model.

 

 

I have no other substantive suggestions to offer, sadly... though I admit that based on the facts you've given, I would be tempted to consider downgrading back to the 250 plan unless you got a crazy deal like the $99 deal... 


Does the 3552 modem also suffer from buffer bloat? I'm guessing it's more of a CMTS setting issue though?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 6,051

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

This isn't bufferbloat with the CODA-4582.  I'm not sure of what to call this at this point in time, but its not bufferbloat.  Perhaps a matter of fine tuning and getting all of the gremlins out of the new modems. Disappointing to say the least.  

 

To look at where we are coming from with the Puma 6MG modem's, ie: the CGN3 series and CGNM-3552 and where it might end up with, with newer fimrware have a look at the following thread.  

 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/369...

 

To read thru the DSLReports threads:

 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31079834-ALL-SB6190-is-a-terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mist...

 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion

 

This last thread is the latest discussion thread, as we wait for Intel and Arris to finish development of the next firmware series to route all IPV4 and IPV6 TCP/IP, ICMP and UDP packets thru the hardware processor/accelerator.

 



I'm a Reliable Contributor
Posts: 607

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

The CODA 4582 seems to be in BETA.

 

I think the release was rushed due to the puma6 chipset horror story.

 

Looks like it will be a long journey ahead.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 17

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware


@Datalink wrote:

This isn't bufferbloat with the CODA-4582.  I'm not sure of what to call this at this point in time, but its not bufferbloat.  Perhaps a matter of fine tuning and getting all of the gremlins out of the new modems. Disappointing to say the least.  

 

To look at where we are coming from with the Puma 6MG modem's, ie: the CGN3 series and CGNM-3552 and where it might end up with, with newer fimrware have a look at the following thread.  

 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/369...

 

To read thru the DSLReports threads:

 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31079834-ALL-SB6190-is-a-terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mist...

 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion

 

This last thread is the latest discussion thread, as we wait for Intel and Arris to finish development of the next firmware series to route all IPV4 and IPV6 TCP/IP, ICMP and UDP packets thru the hardware processor/accelerator.

 


I'm aware of the Puma6 issue and how the trial firmware is trying to fix it, but the Puma7 doesn't seem to have the same issue IMO. Puma6 has lag spikes even when there are no transfers happening, it even pings 1-2ms over LAN.

 

The CODA-4582 has much more stable & lower latencies when pinging the default gateway with no active transfers (12-13ms avg) and spikes are below 40ms. LAN response times are also always below 1ms. My previous Puma6 modem would ping 15-18ms avg with spikes upto 100ms+ under the same no load conditions.

 

Puma7 only starts lagging during active transfers which seems like a classic case of buffer bloat. I'm sure the CMTS has something to do with it because I remember when my area used to be on the Cisco CMTS and my ping times would only jump to ~30ms even when the downstream was fully saturated. With the Casa CMTS, buffer bloat was much worse.

 

In any case, are Rogers engineers aware of this Puma7 issue and is there any a plan of attack on how to solve it? 

I'm a Reliable Contributor
Posts: 607

Re: Rogers Hitron CODA-4582 Hardware

the new CODA-4582 is their new baby.. I am pretty sure they will do all they can ( Rogers) to make it the best thing in the world.