Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor

Yes, Channel 149 will perform better in terms of range than Channel 48 (edit: assuming the firmware is correctly programmed). See my post here for why that is: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/380...

For comparisons sake, were you using 80MHz width on the CGN3AMR?  or 40MHz?

Do you have predominantly 802.11ac devices to take advantage of that 80MHz?  If not, you might want to switch to either 20 or 40MHz to see if it improves your range (theory only, not proven).

ValentynL
I plan to stick around
Yep. I was running the CGN3AMR at 80Mhz as well. Also, all of my primary devices support 802.11ac so 80Mhz is basically a requirement for me.

I should add that although range is worse, the connection is actually far more stable, which is great.

Double_K

@ValentynL wrote:
Yep. I was running the CGN3AMR at 80Mhz as well. Also, all of my primary devices support 802.11ac so 80Mhz is basically a requirement for me.

I should add that although range is worse, the connection is actually far more stable, which is great.

All other things being equal then, that may point to an issue with the transmit output power config in the firmware for Channels 149-161 at VHT80.  Are you running 2.0.10.13 firmware?

@RogersDave@ can you please check the Tx output power config in the firmware to confirm that it is putting out ~25dBm/320mW @ VHT80 MCS0 in the UNII 3 band? (edit: Can you also check that when the user selects channel 149, the centre channel is in fact 155 in VHT80 mode, and not whatever channel the user selects ie. 149)

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave - Having the latest firmware of the 3552 modem, would you suggest that I change the modem to this new one that came out or wait till all the kinks have been taking care of?

Double_K

@ValentynL wrote:

The stability may, more than likely, be coming from the beamforming since you're using 802.11ac

@ValentynL the statement that your devices support 802.11ac is really irrelevant to the discussion of using 80 Mhz wide channels in the 5 Ghz band.  You would have to know specifically if each individual device supports 80 Mhz wide channels.  As that is a recent addition to the 802.11ac specs, I suspect that the vast majority of devices on the market today support at best 20 Mhz or maybe 20/40 Mhz channel widths.  Blame that on cheap manufacturers.  We've had that discussion several times over in the forum.  Turns out that we're usually right on this one.  So, unless all of your devices are perhaps one to two years old, they most likely will not support 80 Mhz bandwidths. 

Two other issues come to mind. 

1.  If the co-channels required for 80 Mhz wide operation are not available at the target device, that device will indicate that fact to the modem and the modem will automatically step down to 20 or 40 Mhz wide channels if in fact the modem is following the rules, which it should.  Each broadcast by the modem is preceded by a clear channel check at the receiving device to determine the available bandwidths.  The same procedure is followed when the device transmits back to the modem.

2.  I have seen devices that actually decrease the output power when wider channels are selected, so, a little research is required here to determine what CODA-4582 actually transmits for output power for the various bandwidths.

The conclusion from issues like this that have come up in the forum previously is that you can't assume.  For the most part, you can blame the manufacturers for that.  We've seen brand new laptops or other devices, well thought out, really expensive, except for one component, the cheap wifi card that was built in.   End result, much disappointment on the part of the new owner when he or she discovers the issue. 

@Double_K has raised some good points regarding wifi performance.  It would be worth an experiment to test 20, 40 and 80 Mhz bandwidths to determine if in fact there is any difference in stability and range.

RyzenFX

@RogersDave

My 5GHz band on the CODA-4582 when it's channels are set to automatic, it defaults to channel 40. This reduces the range of the 5GHz band and it's range could be greatly increased by manually setting the channel to 149-153-157-161. When set to automatic, is the modem supposed to, by default select channel 40? Even if it's on channel 40, shouldn't the 5GHz range also be the same as it would be on channel 149? 

The range on the lower 5 Ghz channels will not be the same as on the upper 5 Ghz channels.  One reason is that Industry Canada changed the output power regulations last year.  From what I remember:

Old Reg:

Lower 5 Ghz channels:  Power output restricted to 50 mw

Upper 5 Ghz channels:  Power ouput restricted to 1 W.

New Regs:

Lower 5 Ghz channels:  Power output restricted to 200 mw

Upper 5 Ghz channels:  Power ouput restricted to 1 W.

So, even with the new regs, if the modem has been approved under those regs, the lower 5 Ghz freqs will not have the same range simply due to the power output at the antenna. 

Note that the US FCC has approved a 1 Watt max output power for the lower 5 Ghz freqs.  Canada has not followed the same path on this one.

Fwiw, here's a DSLReports thread on this same subject:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30910860-Wireless-5GHz-WIFI-and-80-MHz-Channel-Width-setting

2.  Now you're getting into the engineering aspects of wifi transmission.  Wifi frequencies have different material penetration ranges that depend on the material and the frequency in question, not to mention the atmospheric losses as the frequency increases.  I'll see if I can dig up a chart from somewhere that shows this issue. 

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@Datalink and @RogersDave

The more I follow this thread, the more I realize just how out of touch I am on this side of the industry - talk to me about various switching methods and ethernet, and basic WIFI and I am still ok, but this is all beyond me, although I learn a bit each day.

It is great that both of you can put this information into communication that an unskilled person in this area of networking can actually follow and understand, as well as how concisely you work with the individuals and their unique issues and provide solutions.

Great job both of you and others who contribute to this thread.  I like to give credit where credit is due.

Bruce

RyzenFX

This is weird. I've had the new modem since yesterday and today suddenly my speeds dropped from my usual 130/10 down to 19.32/10 with a latency of 6ms and jitter of 12ms on wired; the results were run on the rogers speed test. I also ran additional testing on wifi and I also got 11.29/10.08.   

Mythen
I plan to stick around
I found that speed tests off a server other than Rogers were extremely slow like results you posted. Results from a Rogers server were ok depending on the location.

hoob
I plan to stick around

Grabbed a new CODA-4582 modem from the local Rogers today, installed well but speed tests are quite a bit slower than on the 3552.

Of course it's prime time right now so I'll test again at 5AM when I get up. But for now I'm only seeing 210/7 with the new modem whereas before I would see around 820/25 (direct hardwired in both cases.)

Levels are pretty much the same as before, no DC31 at my address.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave Can you please add me to your firmware list as I have the new CODA modem.  I PM you my modem info.

Thanks

dmbcanda
I plan to stick around

Seeing random speedtest as well and a lot slower than the 4552.  CDA-4582 just rebooted itself, so unless @RogersDave is doing something it is weird.

RyzenFX

I also ran additional tests on speedtest.net to the TELUS sever and I got a download speed of 3.59 Mbps and upload speed of 8.25 Mbps and a good ping of 6ms. I usually average 130/10 on the 100u package but these
modem reboot but it hasn't fixed anything. @RogersDave I had a support rep filed a case for me, but I was wondering if you can intervene here.

downstream_overview_Dec14.pngdown_upstream_Dec14.png

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
Same here,I was getting 150-200 mbps now I'm getting 25 mbps on gigabit package after modem upgrade.

Speed problems:  Ok, anyone experiencing speed issues with the new CODA-4582 modem, try this:

1. If you are running the modem in Bridge mode with an IPV6 enabled router after it, disable IPV6 in the router.  Reboot the router and any connected devices so that they all operate on IPV4 only. 

2.  If the modem is in Gateway mode with connected devices enabled for IPV6, go into each device and disable IPV6.  Then reboot the device.  For pc's and laptops, navigate to Start .... Control Panel .... Network and Sharing Center.  Select "Change Adapter Settings" on the left hand side.  Select the appropriate adapter, ethernet, or wifi, or one after the other if required.  Right click on the adapter and select Properties.  Scroll down the Ethernet or Wifi Properties panel to the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and deselect the check box.  Hit Ok, close all of the open panels and applications and reboot the pc or laptop. 

After the reboot, please try a speedtest using the www.speedtest.net Toronto Rogers or Beanfield server or the Montreal Rogers or Fibrenoire Internet server depending on which is closest to you. 

Please let me know if this resolves the issue.  IPV6 was to have been disabled in the modems, perhaps that has not occurred as of yet. 

asharahmed
I plan to stick around

I'm on a R7000, can't seem to find where to disable IPv6 (can only set to auto), but here's results after disabling IPv6 computer side. It halved my upload speed and increased my download speed by like 50Mbps (did test before and and after disabling IPv6)

hoob
I plan to stick around

CODA running in gateway mode, wifi disabled. Single directed-connected client with IPv6 manually disabled. CODA and PC rebooted clean. Test is still "slow":

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5880439830.png

Compare to test after my service was installed a few weeks ago:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5848793576.png

Verified that modem signal levels still normal/very close to what they were at time of install.

asharahmed
I plan to stick around

Less than 10m after the last one...

asharahmed
I plan to stick around

Did one on beanfield...