FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

eddiethefunnyon wrote:

When this update comes out, I'm mainly concerned for people playing video games, because after doing some research, I found out that the majority of modern games don't support IPv6 yet. A game such as League of Legends isn't designed to support IPv6. After this new firmware is ready for mass-scale deployment, IPV6 will be enabled by default. This will cause many gamers connection issues. To provent this from happening is there an option in this firmware that allows to switch back to IPv4?

On Rogers (and on basically all residential Internet service with IPv6 support), IPv4 and IPv6 operate in dual stack. You don't get one or the other, you get both at the same time.

... and LoL runs just fine on a dual stacked machine.

If you decide you want to disable IPv6 once it's been enabled you should:

1) Stop.

2) Don't do it.

3) Slap yourself on the hand if you try to do it anyways.

4) See step #1.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Alright, when I get the .20 update hopefully tonight I'll reset it and see if LoL works fine. @SimplePanda have you tried running LoL with dual stack already?

I Plan to Stick Around

eddiethefunnyon wrote:

Alright, when I get the .20 update hopefully tonight I'll reset it and see if LoL works fine. @SimplePanda have you tried running LoL with dual stack already?

Me? No. Never touch the stuff.

I have friends that play though. No problems.

Comcast has been dual-stack IPv6/IPv4 (same as Rogers) for almost 2 years.

If it didn't work on Comcast, I imagine we'd all be hearing about it. Smiley Happy

I'm a Regular

I received the .21 firmware yesterday.  So far so good!  I'll report back again in a few days.  Thanks!

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDave and Folks,

My 1st observation... 

The manual DNS resolver settings still will not accept DNSv6 entries

Network Architect
Network Architect

howi wrote:

@RogersDave and Folks,

My 1st observation... 

The manual DNS resolver settings still will not accept DNSv6 entries

Thanks howi, I've added this to the issue list.

Would you also be able to confirm if defining a manual DNSv4 address has any impact on IPv6 connectivity (it did in the past)?

Rogers Employee lee_3_00
Rogers Employee

So far since recieving this update to .21, everything has been working great! Just like at @RogersDave mentioned, once we recieve the .21 trial firmware update that it's recommended to do a factory reset either through 192.168.0.1 or by going to the modem itself and clicking the pinhole in to reset modem. 

I noticed I wasn't able to connect to wifi on my Google Nexus 5 either on 2.4 or 5 GHz network until I read Dave's post. Did the factor reset; had to change back my security settings, then I was good to go on my cellphone after Smiley Happy

I noticed once the factor reset was done that there was a "temp" wifi network called EasyConnect. One thing I would recommend we update is the length of the password field for the wifi network. I like to have my password for my wifi network to be at least approx 18 characters long to make it harder for intuders from accessing or wifi network. But this is just a personal preference I guess.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers

Network Architect
Network Architect

lee_3_00 wrote:

I noticed once the factor reset was done that there was a "temp" wifi network called EasyConnect. One thing I would recommend we update is the length of the password field for the wifi network. I like to have my password for my wifi network to be at least approx 18 characters long to make it harder for intuders from accessing or wifi network. But this is just a personal preference I guess.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers

Thanks lee_3_00 for your feedback.

Are you saying that when configuring your network through EasyConnect, you could not set a password that is 18 characters long? If it is the case, I'll add this to the tracking list as well.

I Plan to Stick Around

I would like to ask? Why the need of the Rogers EasyConnect setup on a factory reset? I always go in and make all the needed changes anyways via the GUI being a security Guru. So it must be for the common costumers to make it easy for them right?

Thanks,

Daniel Smiley Wink

Microsoft® MVP Windows Insider - Windows Security
Network Architect
Network Architect

Triple_Helix wrote:

I would like to ask? Why the need of the Rogers EasyConnect setup on a factory reset? I always go in and make all the needed changes anyways via the GUI being a security Guru. So it must be for the common costumers to make it easy for them right?

Thanks,

Daniel Smiley Wink

That is correct. It also forces customers to change the admin password of the router. Ultimately, the goal is to ensure that basic security settings are in place once the gateway goes online for the first time.

After that, everything can be changed manually.