FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Triple_Helix wrote:

Well all looks good here via my VPN via L2TP over IPsec as well. 250/20 plan.

Thanks,

Daniel 

The issue isn't with NAT-T IPSec (port 4500 UDP encasulation) on IPv4. That works fine as it's tunelling over UDP.

The issue is with IP->next header->50 ESP encapsultion (pure ESP IPSec). It's definitely a problem on IPv6 and while I haven't tested, probably on IPv4 as well. IPv4 protocol 41 (IPv6 encapsulation) has similar performance problems so it seems the issue is with non UDP/TCP/ICMP packets.

FreeBSD 11-CURRENT to FreeBSD 11-CURRENT.

DO-TOR to DO-TOR over SSH (IPv6) = ~600Mbps.

DO-TOR to DO-TOR over SSH over IPSec (ESP) = ~600Mbps.

DO-TOR to Rogers 250u over SSH (IPv6) = ~270Mbps.

DO-TOR to Rogers 250u over SSH over ESP (Ipv6) = ~20Mbps.

Definitely a Rogers protocol 50 (ESP) issue, which Rogers has been able to reproduce on their end (hence why it's in the release notes as a known issue).

While this doesn't seem like a big deal right now it will become a very big deal as IPv6 becomes more pervasive. ESP IPSec tunelling is the RFC compliant way to do peer-to-peer in an all IPv6 world.

I Plan to Stick Around

cyco wrote:

@SimplePanda Thanks for the answer. I just never noticed any issues with the 3 of my VPNs running for work. Which is why i'm skeptical to try the newer firmware. 

Can you do a speed test that you know for sure traverses one of the ESP links and post the results?

If it's good performance, what kind of hardware do you have at the local side (ACSMR?).

I've never had reliability issues with ESP over IPv6; just throughput limitation problems.

I Plan to Stick Around

kk i see now that my firmware has been upgraded but when i go to  http://ipv6-test.com/  it says that its not supported

Your network connection does not support the IPv6 protocol, it may be possible to enable IPv6 support in your router configuration or by asking your ISP. If your ISP doesn't support IPv6 yet, you may use a tunnel provider to access the IPv6 Internet through your IPv4-only connection.

is there something else i need to do at my end to correct this ?

I Plan to Stick Around

Like I said, I haven't noticed any speed issue on my current load.

ACSMR firmware 4.5.8.20

Is the issue only on v6? 

if so, that won't be a problem for me since Avaya is totally unaware of V6 for the time being, hehe

I used to have about half my traffic over v6 when with Bell. They don't offer native v6 like Rogers does, but I do have a few blocks that I own trough a broker. Essentially, nothing really important goes over v6, work is still tied to v4.

I am doing 5mbit up and down, on one of my VPN. (Avaya's) with a ping of 151ms

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hiho, log into your modem and see if you have two IP addresses in the upper right hand corner of the Status page, one IPV4 and one IPV6, all in the same data area.

If so, and you don't pass an IPV6 test, then there is probably an upstream router configuration issue afoot, same that I have from West Ottawa.

I Plan to Stick Around

hiho wrote:

kk i see now that my firmware has been upgraded but when i go to  http://ipv6-test.com/  it says that its not supported

Your network connection does not support the IPv6 protocol, it may be possible to enable IPv6 support in your router configuration or by asking your ISP. If your ISP doesn't support IPv6 yet, you may use a tunnel provider to access the IPv6 Internet through your IPv4-only connection.

is there something else i need to do at my end to correct this ?

See the second post! You need to do a factory reset within the GUI then IPv6 will work and test again! http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/331...

HTH,

Daniel Smiley Wink

Microsoft® MVP Windows Insider - Windows Security
I Plan to Stick Around

nope only have one ip addy in the  WAN IP Address  box and its the one i allways have

xxx.xxx.xx

I Plan to Stick Around

In bridged mode, you'll need to have a v6 capable router.
That also means propagating the v6 IPs on your LAN. You can do it statefull (DHCPv6) or stateless (RA).

I Plan to Stick Around

kk i went and read it :-)

should i do a backup of my modem/router so i can restore what i have setup now before the factory reset?

I Plan to Stick Around

k did the factory reset now showing 2 ip addys :-) went and tested on

http://ipv6-test.com/  all seems ok i passed both 4 and 6

however i do see this one little thing that i think should show something?

hostname =  none

when all is said and done what should i expect from doing this firmware upgrade :-)