FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Spoiler
I noticed enabling bridge mode breaks VOIP... had to go back in gateway mode which now prevents me to enable IPV6
Network Architect
Network Architect

Mo786 wrote:
I noticed enabling bridge mode breaks VOIP... had to go back in gateway mode which now prevents me to enable IPV6

In gateway mode to enable IPv6, you have to perform a one-time factory reset from the GUI. After performing this step, IPv6 will work correctly.

I am however interested to understand what is broken with VoIP in bridge mode. Do you believe it is an issue with the modem that should be adressed or a problem with your router configuration? I believe in gateway mode, we have a SIP ALG enabled which can help VoIP with NAT over IPv4.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The SIP/ALG should be disabled as a default setting.  This has caused continuous issues with users attempting to run VOIP, and the only solution has been to disable it or buy a third party router giving the user the ability to disable it, after which the VOIP phone works as it should.  Front line tech support has obviously been instructed to turn down any requests to disable it and direct users to the Techxperts who will charge $69.99 to flip the disable/enable switch.  This setting is also not saved in the phone settings, so if there is a power bump and the modem restarts, the SIP/ALG is once again enabled, putting the user back at square one, facing another $69.99 charge.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Routers+SIP+ALG

I Plan to Stick Around

I really wish I was able to test that firmware, however, there's too much ESP traffic on my network to try it. 

Do we have an ETA as to when the ESP issues will be fixed within this new firmware?

Thanks a lot for making this available to us by the way, much appreciated!

I Plan to Stick Around

cyco wrote:

I really wish I was able to test that firmware, however, there's too much ESP traffic on my network to try it. 

Do we have an ETA as to when the ESP issues will be fixed within this new firmware?

Thanks a lot for making this available to us by the way, much appreciated!

I don't think this trial firmware breaks ESP performance - ESP (and all non TCP/UDP/ICMP performance on Rogers) is already broken and the "known issues" list posted at the top of this thread is just acknowledging that this is an issue and that it's on the list of issues to eventually fix.

In my own experience, protocol 41 (IPv6 tunelling) and protocol 50 performance on the Rogers network has had poor performance for quite some time now - at least a couple years.

One thing I'm wondering about though - protocol 41 performance was poor on with the DPC3825 as well. I'm not sure this is an issue with the ACSMR firmware specifically but hopefully the RogersDave et al can track the issue down.

Network Architect
Network Architect

Datalink wrote:

The SIP/ALG should be disabled as a default setting.  

Point noted. I have raised as an enchancement request (and updated the second post) that the SIP ALG setting should be exposed in the GUI.

I Plan to Stick Around

@SimplePanda Thanks for the answer. I just never noticed any issues with the 3 of my VPNs running for work. Which is why i'm skeptical to try the newer firmware. 

I Plan to Stick Around

My CGN3ACSMR is in Bridge mode and so far I have not noticed any issues with this Trial firmware. I have 3 VoIP systems and all work as I expect. My L2TP over ipsec is stable when used.

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
I Plan to Stick Around

Running 4.5.8.21 here now thanks in bridge mode

good so far

I Plan to Stick Around

Well all looks good here via my VPN via L2TP over IPsec as well. 250/20 plan.

Thanks,

Daniel 

Microsoft® MVP Windows Insider - Windows Security