Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@WestPoint

Signal levels depend more on local network layout and distances, not on internet usage pattern or neighbor pings. Each time someone gets a Rogers tech visit, adjustments are possible to network signal levels that will affect others in that area. For example, a tech found a connector with higher signal and hooked his current client's modem to it. It will affect signal levels of some other subscribers in the same area. So don't worry if your signal levels fluctuate a bit over time. 

If you have some devices dropping connection due to not being identified and assigned IP by DHCP server while others don't, try to change their energy saving settings. It may be when the time comes to renew their DHCP sub, they are out of reach sleeping, and can't be awaken for whatever reason, including CODA firmware bugs.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@mf152 wrote:

I just had a very strange experience with my rocket modem.  I'm currently running 4.5.8.33, but this morning my internet stopped working.  I was presented with a Rogers Easy Connect screen (this was coming from my modem, through my browser), something I hadn't seen before.  Somehow my modem had been reset.  How did this happen? So I called Rogers and they finally told me I had to go through Rogers Easy Connect, type a new modem name and password, and hit Save.  Only then did my modem start working again.  Anyone know why/how this happened?

@mf152

For whatever reason you Modem got reset to factory default. It could be new firmware was pushed, or on Rogers back end for whatever reason they triggered a factory reset on the modem. Either way I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it happens again/frequently.

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@WestPoint wrote:

Im occationally disconnected from Netflix servers for sometimes, upto 5min at a time.... I can browse fine in my browser, but every episode I click on I get a No Network error, even if I was in the middle of an episode, itll stop, and ill do absolutly NOTHING to the computer or network, but at somepoint, ill click to resume, or another show, and bam, all good and fine for a while...

I also noticed periodic disconnects once in 15-30 min on wired connection, when streaming content from web sources at peak time, despite web browsing keeps working. I wonder if its linked to the bug in modem firmware or Rogers attempts to decrease traffic at peak times? May be Dave can comment on that. No VPN was involved.

Hello. 

My current firmware for my Hitron CGN3 is 4.5.8.33.

After reading various articles about the KRACK WiFi security issue from various sources, and after reading your firmware version release dates, shouldn't my modem's firmware be upgraded to 4.5.8.35 or 4.5.8.35.2T?

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

@Sktzmn wrote:

Hello. 

After reading various articles about the KRACK WiFi security issue from various sources, and after reading your firmware version release dates, shouldn't my modem's firmware be upgraded to 4.5.8.35 or 4.5.8.35.2T?

Read here about KRACKhttp://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/New-WIFI-WPA2-vulnerability-modem-updates-coming/m-p/4...

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Sktzmn wrote:

Hello. 

@Sktzmn

KRACK doesn't affect any of the Rogers Gateways. It only affects devices running in client mode. 

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@Sktzmn firstly, no, just no.

How do you determine you would go from 33 to 35 or 35T2?

Firstly, from 33, you'd go to the most recent release, 33T3, not 35. Still have no clue where you got 35 from.

Secondly, if you have indeed been reading up about KRACK, you'd have read very easily, that it DOES NOT affect ANY Rogers Modems as they DO NOT have 802.11r enabled.

Im sure Rogers is working towards it, but they have there own thread (link in above postings) about this issue and im sure they wont enable ANYTHING to do with 802.11r until they're sure its safe to do so and no exploits remain, especially none so serious as the potential of KRACKs abilities.

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave

I just wanted to post about a larger issue i've experienced today.

Just after 11am EST, my modems WIFI went abit wonky.

Let me explain.

I was watching Netflix on my laptop (win10), and all of a sudden, it froze, like Netflix just froze. It wasnt paused, it wasnt trying to buffer, it didnt disconnect or give an error code, it just stopped. No spinnging buffer symbol, nothing.

Then I noticed my WIFI status got a warning, and I checked, and sure enough, I had both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, but Both said no internet available. I closed netflix. I then put my laptop into Airplane mode, watied 3min, and then turned off airplane mode and let the wifi reconnect. Same issue, I connected, and eventually got both IP addresses but no internet status. Also my cell phone, wifi thermostat and all Wifi devices had disconnected from my network.

I came to my desktop, which is wired ethernet, and everything seemd fine, I had internet and I could open the CODA login page. So I called into Rogers tech support, which I know Im not supposed to do really as part of the trial, but I wanted to see in real time if anyone could see an issue with anything or atlweast, see what I was seeing. The agent proceeded to access my device, and said there were NO wifi devices connected. as was what i was seeing in both the Basic Connected Devices list, and when i went to the WIFI access control connected devices list and pushed refresh. After a few moments of the gentleman testing my local area and the local sHub, we both, almost instantly, noticed my Laptop show back up, as the only device on Wifi. And evntually my cell phone, then my thermostat....

This is very strange as we did not do anything that shoud have caused anything to not be connected in the first place. He confirmed all my settings were fine and the Wifi was bradcasting when he connected to my device, yet no devices were showing, and then all of a sudden, without reboot, Docsis Event, or anything, they began to show up again. I still have a Wan UpTime of +7days, and no reason what so ever for my wifi issue, or solution.

Even more to my issue is my DHCP Reservations, I also had the gentleman on the phone confirm with me that serveral of my devices, on wifi and ethernet, that have DHCP reservations, including my laptop that just re-connected on its own, are not recieving the IP address the Reservation should be giving it, and I can personally guaruntee, its not because of any static IP setting within the devices themselves, as they are also set to the same custom DHCP list I set in the CODA, in effort to see if that would solve the issues, and it has not.

Also, I was given advise to try Wireshark and look for multiple DHCP clients, and I have downloaded and installed and run multiple diagnostics, and near as I can tell, the only host putting out requests is the Coda, but it frequently will make very stange IP to IP info/tell requests, somtimes from say ip 192.168.0.16 to tell like 5 IPs who it owns IP 0.16 but it will do them one at a time, and itll be a device like ONE of my hue light bulbs, but not the others, to tell devices like my heated floor or furnace thermostats.... I cant make heads or tails of why these requests would be happening, and also requests for who is on IP 0.10 alot to the CODA, maybe ip 0.10 interfears with 0.1 for the gateway itself? and if thats true, why dont they just make the modem skip that IP anyway and avoid this issue for ppl with +25 devices on their home networks, especially if the DHCP reservations are going to fail constantly and any attempt to mannually avoid this IP being given out, are pointless as it will eventually be given to someone or somthing that connects without being part of the reservation list.

hoopdogg
I plan to stick around

Coda on 33T3. Yesterday and now again today, I've had blips with loss of WAN.  LAN is still up so not same as previous reboots.   I'm in south Cambridge, ON region.  Just wondering if there's an issue or is it normal.   Events during last event are below.   Thanks, Murray

**Removed logs due to MAC address. - RogersZia

hoopdogg
I plan to stick around

Thanks Zia.  I guess my question boils down to if LAN is staying up but WAN is being reset a couple times a day; unlike the reboot issue where both were resetting is likely to be a Rogers network issue or a Coda issue?

arnym21
I plan to stick around

Why blame CODA for every glitch that ever happen? Smiley Happy Check Rogers Outage Map.

hoopdogg
I plan to stick around

Thanks @arnym21.   Looked at map but really wasn't showing any issues locally.   Agreed, it feels more like something happening upstream rather than in Coda.

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@arnym21 blame the CODA because if you understand the issue, its not an outtage, the LAN still has internet, we are all just experiencing WAN data loss randomly.

@RogersDave For example, my wired desktop will still have full internet, but my wifi laptop sitting beside the modem, will only say connected to network but no internet access available and a wonky DHCP IP and DNS address and will just sit like that and eventually reset and come back, but its a different amount of time before it fixes itself each time, somtimes its only a min or two, other times I've gotten upset after 10 full min, gone to my desktop, logged into the CODA, turned off the wifi, waited 30/60secs, turn it back on, and then everything was fine after for a while until it happens again.

No docsis event and no outtage in any area near me @arnym21

Its deffinetly somthing with the firmware or the communication of the DCHP over WAN, which would still be a firmware issue, not a local outtage issue in any way.

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@WestPoint

I was responding to another member. Your issue was reported by others quite a few times in various threads and incarnations, and seems to be FW bugs related. You may want to look through this and that thread too. And its not only WiFi DHCP problem, but wired ethernet too for many users depending on the device type hooked to the modem-router. Hooking CODA in Bridge mode with your own WiFi router seems to mitigate the issue for now.

hoopdogg
I plan to stick around

Question for resident experts.   For past 2-3 weeks the WAN side of Coda has been dropping 4-5 times per week.  I am on latest trial firmware and I don't believe its a firmware issue.  My question is; should I expect that it is a coda issue that may require modem replacement or should I just call Rogers support and report to see if it is a delivery/area issue?

thanks

@hoopdogg wrote:

Question for resident experts.   For past 2-3 weeks the WAN side of Coda has been dropping 4-5 times per week.  I am on latest trial firmware and I don't believe its a firmware issue.  My question is; should I expect that it is a coda issue that may require modem replacement or should I just call Rogers support and report to see if it is a delivery/area issue?

thanks

@hoopdogg 

Can you Log into the modem and post the DOCSIS Signal Levels, and DOCSIS LOG.

If those looks fine then I suggest calling Rogers and ask them to check your connection, and people in your area to see if the issue only affects you, or your area.

hoopdogg
I plan to stick around

Thanks @gp-se, spent time today with Rogers support because everything looked fine.  We're trying a 24hour experiment with router plugged directly into wall power as they said anomalies were showing up during testing while plugged into Belkin power bar and all green on direct wall power.  

@hoopdogg fwiw, power bars can contain metal oxide varistors to provide transient voltage protection to connected equipment.  That includes protection from line over-voltage occurrences and lightning strikes.  When these varistors start to fail they can emit RF noise that bleeds into the power cables and RG-6 cables, killing the modem signal levels and signal to noise ratios.  That is the reason that tech support will ask customers to power their equipment right from the electrical socket.  The power bar should be completely disconnected from the electrical socket and its connected equipment.  Run your equipment off of a multi-headed extension cord for test purposes.   If this is the problem here, its pretty rare from what I've seen so far across several boards, but, its a pain to find as most people don't consider the power bar as a potential problem source. 

hoopdogg
I plan to stick around

Thanks @Datalink.   That's what I'm trying for the next 24-36 hours.  I had 4 WAN recycles today before 1:30 and have had none since going direct.  Fingers crossed. 

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Now that we are in 2018, do we have an ETA on D3.1 Upload release? Been waiting so long for this one! @RogersDave

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@hoopdogg @Datalink

Hoopdogg, any difference in the internet disconnects since the change to the wall outlet? im interested to know.

I know Rogers has there reasons to say there can be issues, but I have never seen it make a difference personally.

@Datalink @RogersDave Any ideas on these intermittent WAN disconnects? I've some people are getting LAN disconnects as well, I dont believe I have, at least nothing more than a few seconds which I always attribute to my VPN and other network sided programs just refereshing the network on my desktop, but I have not noticed a drop out on any of my other wired devices, only my wifi ones; My xbox and smart tv and other devices I used Cat6e cables with never seem to have an issue, and they are all connected thru a 16-port dlink switch, connected to the CODA....

Its becoming increasingly more disruptive to me as I am frequently trying to use my laptop as an additional place to work when my system is in use, and I cant rely on the signal to even be stable over my internal network and share my Quickbooks file safely.. I have almost corrupeted the file twice now and Im getting upset that I cant repy on it.