Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

blues_clues
I plan to stick around

@ayosnato wrote:

First my setup:

I am using the Coda connected to my C7 Archer via LAN to WAN connection. The Coda IP is 192.168.0.1 while the C7 is 192.168.1.1. I had DHCP setup for the Coda at 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.100 while the C7 is setup from 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.199

What I cannot seem to figure out is why my wifi from the Coda drops out from all my devices and a reboot is necessary to get the wifi connected again (but will drop out again after a few minutes). The wifi from the C7 is stable though except for the last few days which seem to correspond to the event log from the Coda.

Hopefully somebody from the forum will be able to help me out. Thanks in advance.

Is there a special reason why you are not using the CODA in bridge mode if you have the C7?  Double NATing, multiple subnets, plus having 4 radios active means you need to ensure your radio channels are not interfering with each other.  Serving up two subnets can also cause issues if your clients roam to the other subnet while being connected to host sessions on the internet.

ayosnato
I plan to stick around
Hi,

@blues_clues Thanks for the reply. Main reasons for this are as follows:
1. I want to have wifi coverage on a larger area of the home
2. I have ethernet hookup throughout the house so the ports are connected to the Coda (as well as my Ata adapter for voip) and I use the C7 ports for my entertainment units (ie Apple Tv)
I was thinking of using a hub but thought I woukd kill 2 birds with 1 stone by using 2 routers and creating a subnet.
This setup has worked for years with the older Rogers modem but when I switched to the Coda I started having the issues.
Any input on how to best tackle this would be appreciated though.
I am also going to try Lan to Lan instead of Lan to Wan in case it fixes my issues.

What's so great about this firmware? With this firmware, I get at least one disconnect and one ping spike in each HoTS game.  Firmware .28T2 had noticeably better gaming performance and I didn't have any random reboot issues when I was on firmware .28T2.  I haven't noticed any improvements with these new firmware releases? 

blues_clues
I plan to stick around

@ayosnato wrote:
Hi,

@blues_clues Thanks for the reply. Main reasons for this are as follows:
1. I want to have wifi coverage on a larger area of the home
2. I have ethernet hookup throughout the house so the ports are connected to the Coda (as well as my Ata adapter for voip) and I use the C7 ports for my entertainment units (ie Apple Tv)
I was thinking of using a hub but thought I woukd kill 2 birds with 1 stone by using 2 routers and creating a subnet.
This setup has worked for years with the older Rogers modem but when I switched to the Coda I started having the issues.
Any input on how to best tackle this would be appreciated though.
I am also going to try Lan to Lan instead of Lan to Wan in case it fixes my issues.

Use the CODA as primary gateway and connect LAN to LAN with C7.  Turn off NAT, DHCP, and FW on the C7.

One important thing to remember is to NOT assign 192.168.0.2  to the C7 router for access.  Use any other static address outside the range of the DHCP scope. The CODA already uses this address, probably for bridging wireless to Ethernet.  For wireless, do a scan for available channels in your space.  Different areas of the house will have different db levels of signal strength for both radio bands, 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz.  For the router you want the best wireless performance, assign channel 149 to the 5GHz radio band.  That is assuming your neighbor is not using it at a db level greater than yours.  The wireless survey tool on the CODA works well and you can always use a PC running a wireless scanning tool.

ayosnato
I plan to stick around

@blues_clues thanks for the additional information. My plan was to try Lan to Lan this weekend and will make sure that I configure both systems as per your recommendations.

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave just another update for you...

Still got continuous uptime going, which is great, my Docisis Events are the same as my post above,

but I've noticed a concideral drop in some of my downstream channels.

Not sure how much of my account history is visable to you @RogersDave but I've had 3 senior techs to my property this year, 2017, and they've litterally replaced every single piece of coax cable in my house, to the splitter on the side of my house, across my backyard, and all the way down the street between the houses to my local hub. So I know its not the cables causing the issue, but Im wondering if there is some heavy over-load in my local hub? I know Rogers wont upgrade a local hub unless its at somthing like 87% capacity for 3 months or what ever, but this was one of my first issues when I got the CODA modem, that I thought was causing my issues, and I believed, and until recently, it was, repaired. But the last few days, ive noticed there are always 4 or 5 channels over the +10/-10 signal strength range.

Downstream Overview

Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDSignal noise ratio (dB)
1597000000256QAM-3.700838.983
2849000000256QAM-10.000235.595
3855000000256QAM-10.600335.084
4861000000256QAM-10.200435.084
5579000000256QAM-4.200538.605
6585000000256QAM-3.600638.605
7591000000256QAM-3.300738.983
8303000000256QAM-0.900138.983
9603000000256QAM-3.500938.983
10609000000256QAM-3.2001038.983
11615000000256QAM-3.3001138.983
12621000000256QAM-3.3001238.983
13633000000256QAM-3.1001338.983
14639000000256QAM-3.2001438.983
15645000000256QAM-2.7001538.983
16651000000256QAM-3.1001638.983
17657000000256QAM-2.7001738.983
18663000000256QAM-2.5001838.983
19669000000256QAM-2.8001938.983
20675000000256QAM-3.0002038.605
21681000000256QAM-3.4002138.605
22687000000256QAM-3.2002238.605
23693000000256QAM-3.5002338.605
24699000000256QAM-4.0002438.983
25705000000256QAM-4.0002538.605
26711000000256QAM-4.3002638.605
27717000000256QAM-5.2002738.605
28723000000256QAM-4.7002838.605
29825000000256QAM-9.3002935.780
30831000000256QAM-9.6003035.595
31837000000256QAM-10.3003135.084
32843000000256QAM-10.1003235.780

Im wondering if, with so many people upgrading to the CODA modem, and upgrading their packages, if the local hubs are being over-run and cant handle the traffic, hence everyones random ping spikes and latency and such that is like, next to impossible to predict or re-create, because it all about the exact moment people the people on your same hub all decide to try and stream or join PVP games or what ever, within seconds of eachother, and the network cant handle the server requests and MMORPGs and PVP games that everyone is playing more and more, and again, upgrading the bandwith to allow for better gaming and such.

I know its all a  huge network of homes to local hubs to area hubs to main hubs, but if the lowest level hubs cant handle the traffic and constant VPN, PVP, MMORPG, and such traffic, it doesnt matter what firmware or testing, or hardware is used in our homes, the hubs will always just get bogged down randomly and take loger to process the information, there by giving pings spikes and latency issues that are dificult to track on a home by home basis.

I could also be completly grapsing at the wind here, but Im just wondering if someone on the firmware team is also keeping an eye on the secondary hubs of the users in the trials, and cross-referencing the data in their Docsis Event times and the Hubs internal logs, and if someone is, whats they're opinion on my cusiousity about this is? Am i correct and the hubs just get randomly over-run when too many ppl join an online game in one area? is it too many constant connections like VOIP phones and VPNs hogging the stable signals? Im very curious about this whole part of things as well.

richmond5
I've been here awhile

Thanks for upgrade to 33T3 firmware for the CODA modem. No reboot issue. The download stream is very steady at around 920-930 Mbps even in the mid of busy traffic time of the day:)

ayosnato
I plan to stick around

So I did try Lan to Lan and I was also having issues with this setup. I set the C7 to 192.168.0.3 (CODA is at 192.168.0.1). Turned off NAT, DHCP and FW. I made sure that there are no conflicts with the wifi channels and and I still have issues with wifi connection. I lose connectivity after a while with the IP being assigned as 169.xx

One thing that I remembered was that my home security device connected via ethernet was having issues after I switched to the CODA when it was set to DHCP. I have since set it up as static and I have not had any issues with it so far. I did this for the C7 this morning and will monitor.

Are there other having issues with DHCP on the CODA? Is there a known issue with DHCP with the CODA that I am not aware of?

If I keep on getting issues I will return it in store and ask for the Ignite router since with that one I have been stable for years.

blues_clues
I plan to stick around

@ayosnato wrote:

So I did try Lan to Lan and I was also having issues with this setup. I set the C7 to 192.168.0.3 (CODA is at 192.168.0.1). Turned off NAT, DHCP and FW. I made sure that there are no conflicts with the wifi channels and and I still have issues with wifi connection. I lose connectivity after a while with the IP being assigned as 169.xx

One thing that I remembered was that my home security device connected via ethernet was having issues after I switched to the CODA when it was set to DHCP. I have since set it up as static and I have not had any issues with it so far. I did this for the C7 this morning and will monitor.

Are there other having issues with DHCP on the CODA? Is there a known issue with DHCP with the CODA that I am not aware of?

If I keep on getting issues I will return it in store and ask for the Ignite router since with that one I have been stable for years.

Try DHCP Reservation instead of static and see if the problem still exists.  You will need to reboot the CODA after you set a host for DHCP Reservation.  What hardware version, 1A or 2A, and what firmware are you running on the CODA?  I have a fairly complex network running and have not experienced any DHCP issues.  I run 2A/33T3.

ayosnato
I plan to stick around

@blues_clues thanks for the feedback. I am running 2A and 33T3 as well but could not get a simple network with 2 routers going with the CODA which I have been using for years using the Ignite modem. I will try your suggestion tonight and will see if that helps.

So essentially you are suggesting setting the DHCP reservation on the CODA for the IP address I want for the C7 and set the C7 back to Dynamic IP?

I went back to Lan to Wan by the way. If I want to try Lan to Lan again should I set the DHCP reservation as 192.168.0.3 even though it is outside of the DHCP range (10 to 199) on the CODA?

You think I got a lemon? I can also try to switch the CODA for another one. 

blues_clues
I plan to stick around

@ayosnato wrote:

@blues_clues thanks for the feedback. I am running 2A and 33T3 as well but could not get a simple network with 2 routers going with the CODA which I have been using for years using the Ignite modem. I will try your suggestion tonight and will see if that helps.

So essentially you are suggesting setting the DHCP reservation on the CODA for the IP address I want for the C7 and set the C7 back to Dynamic IP?

I went back to Lan to Wan by the way. If I want to try Lan to Lan again should I set the DHCP reservation as 192.168.0.3 even though it is outside of the DHCP range (10 to 199) on the CODA?

You think I got a lemon? I can also try to switch the CODA for another one. 

No, set DHCP reservation to the IP addresses that you were having problems with, instead of setting them to static.

The C7's static IP is fine.   A wireless device that is not associating and authenticating will receive the 169.254.x.y address.

ayosnato
I plan to stick around

@blues_clues I stand corrected. I am at 1A and 33T3. What are the main differences between 1A and 2A?

ayosnato
I plan to stick around

DHCP reservation did not seem to resolve my issues. I still get 169.254.x.y on a couple of wireless devices at home (ie chromebooks, iphone) that I tried DHCP reservation when connected to the wireless network of the CODA but has internet access when connected to the C7

What is interesting is that a few of the devices that connect wirelessly to the CODA (ie Lyric thermostat and an older laptop) seem to be fine. Could it be an ipv4 and ipv6 issue?

blues_clues
I plan to stick around

@ayosnato wrote:

@blues_clues I stand corrected. I am at 1A and 33T3. What are the main differences between 1A and 2A?

2A is the newer hardware version of the CODA, which is being tested by some of us in the community.  My advice would be to pin reset your CODA but you will have to re-request 33T3 from RogersDave again.  If that doesn't work, you may have to wait until Hardware 2A CODAs go mainstream and swap out your current one.  Other than that, you can try bridge mode and use the C7 as the main router.  How important is running 4 wireless radios to you? 

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@blues_clues WHOA!!!!

Now theres hardware 2A???

OMG.....

im gonna loose my mind this year........

What are the differences? like everything, physical and ability wise.....

Im like, gonna freak out if I need to upgrade AGAIN in less than a year to be able to get proper networking...
Cuz I mean, Ive already come to the conclusion they will never fix the DHCP Scan to actually identify all devices, I've always had one or two on my list either not show up, or the CODA has a different IP than the devices says on its screen, and both are different than my DHCP reservations, and Ive just come to live with it, and try my best to set static IPs within each of my devices and not rely on the DHCP within the CODA for anything really.

But if new Hardware, especially on the Switch HUB protion of the system, could solve it, Id be standing first in line for it, but Im honestly not in the mood to get another modem, add it to the trial, find out 33T3 doesnt work as well as it is on 1A, and then go complete nutter butters.......

So back to my question, lol, anyone know exactly what the differences are between hardware 1A and 2A?

@blues_clues wrote:

@ayosnato wrote:

2A is the newer hardware version of the CODA, which is being tested by some of us in the community.  My advice would be to pin reset your CODA but you will have to re-request 33T3 from RogersDave again.  If that doesn't work, you may have to wait until Hardware 2A CODAs go mainstream and swap out your current one.  Other than that, you can try bridge mode and use the C7 as the main router.  How important is running 4 wireless radios to you? 

@blues_clues

Isn't there a NDA agreement in place for those testing 2A?

blues_clues
I plan to stick around

@WestPoint wrote:

@blues_clues WHOA!!!!

Now theres hardware 2A???

OMG.....

im gonna loose my mind this year........

What are the differences? like everything, physical and ability wise.....

Im like, gonna freak out if I need to upgrade AGAIN in less than a year to be able to get proper networking...
Cuz I mean, Ive already come to the conclusion they will never fix the DHCP Scan to actually identify all devices, I've always had one or two on my list either not show up, or the CODA has a different IP than the devices says on its screen, and both are different than my DHCP reservations, and Ive just come to live with it, and try my best to set static IPs within each of my devices and not rely on the DHCP within the CODA for anything really.

But if new Hardware, especially on the Switch HUB protion of the system, could solve it, Id be standing first in line for it, but Im honestly not in the mood to get another modem, add it to the trial, find out 33T3 doesnt work as well as it is on 1A, and then go complete nutter butters.......

So back to my question, lol, anyone know exactly what the differences are between hardware 1A and 2A?

Just a suggestion, but use Wireshark on your network and see if you are getting multiple DHCP requests/replies .  You could have another DHCP server running on your network.

blues_clues
I plan to stick around

@gp-se wrote:

@blues_clues wrote:

@ayosnato wrote:

@blues_clues

I'm sure the NDA is for not advertising the specs and features of the new hardware version, not for advertising that some in the community are testing it.

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

@blues_clues wrote:

@gp-se wrote:

@blues_clues wrote:

@ayosnato wrote:

@blues_clues

I'm sure the NDA is for not advertising the specs and features of the new hardware version, not for advertising that some in the community are testing it.

You should read the agreement in that group.

mf152
I plan to stick around

I just had a very strange experience with my rocket modem.  I'm currently running 4.5.8.33, but this morning my internet stopped working.  I was presented with a Rogers Easy Connect screen (this was coming from my modem, through my browser), something I hadn't seen before.  Somehow my modem had been reset.  How did this happen? So I called Rogers and they finally told me I had to go through Rogers Easy Connect, type a new modem name and password, and hit Save.  Only then did my modem start working again.  Anyone know why/how this happened?

ayosnato
I plan to stick around

@blues_clues thanks for all your help in troubleshooting. I think I will leave everything as is for now. I will think about resetting the CODA and re-requesting 33T3 since it would not suit well with the kids with all the rebooting issues until the trial firmware gets re-downloaded. (@RogersDave if I reset the CODA, do you think you will be able to download 33T3 the same day?)

Having strong wifi all over the house (inc. frontyard and backyard) was really a good thing that I miss since I switched to the CODA.