FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 84

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Anyone done a speed test using MacAir with USB Gigabit Ethernet Adapter connected the Coda?

 

Yesterday, two very nice Senior Tech's confirmed all readings were good.....then hooked-up the Test Coda, ran a speed test and boom 975/46. Now, they connected their laptop to port 2 of my Coda, which is in bridge mode.....and bang now 925/42. OK....it must be your NIC on the Dell XPS why your speeds are low. So, I checked and NIC was Intel 82566DC gigabit network card. Yeah, but you're running Vista Ultimate...so that is the problem. Fine....I'll look into it and will do my own test later using Apple MacAir...but have to get a USB Lan Adapter. Got a TP-Link USB3 Gigabit adapter this morning....turned-off all WiFi, connected the LAN and got a ping of 3 with 425/40 to Rogers Server......FAR from 975/46 the Techs got yesterday. Before calling them back, I'll be doing some more tests using other PC's. The Techs also used a Gigabit adapter on their Panasonic laptops....So what am I missing?        

           

Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 6,229

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

The data rate you see on your laptop will depend greatly on the laptop itself, the processor speed, memory type and amount and hard drive speed if in fact your pc uses the hard drive as a virtual drive due to having 4 gigs of memory or less.  We had an Acer laptop that wouldn't go beyond 200 Mb/s using either a USB 3 to gigabit adapter or wifi.  Thats the limit of the laptop.  We also have a gaming laptop in house that will do over 800 Mb/s, just never really tested it out.  So, if the techs are seeing over 900 Mb/s with their laptop, then I would believe that. 

 

It also depends on the speed test site that you use.  To run the Coda at max rates, you should use the speedtest.net Toronto Rogers or Montreal Rogers servers.  The Toronto Beanfield and Montreal Fibrenoire servers are also useful for testing the gigabit service.  Using any other server, you run the risk of seeing slower results and possibly blaming the result on the modem or your pc/laptop.



I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 84

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial


@Datalink wrote:

The data rate you see on your laptop will depend greatly on the laptop itself, the processor speed, memory type and amount and hard drive speed if in fact your pc uses the hard drive as a virtual drive due to having 4 gigs of memory or less.  We had an Acer laptop that wouldn't go beyond 200 Mb/s using either a USB 3 to gigabit adapter or wifi.  Thats the limit of the laptop.  We also have a gaming laptop in house that will do over 800 Mb/s, just never really tested it out.  So, if the techs are seeing over 900 Mb/s with their laptop, then I would believe that. 

 

It also depends on the speed test site that you use.  To run the Coda at max rates, you should use the speedtest.net Toronto Rogers or Montreal Rogers servers.  The Toronto Beanfield and Montreal Fibrenoire servers are also useful for testing the gigabit service.  Using any other server, you run the risk of seeing slower results and possibly blaming the result on the modem or your pc/laptop.


Common Datalink....I used the same Speed Tests to Rogers.....and  MacAir is an i5. It's bizarre and one begins to wonder....

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 207

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial


@rjmaxim wrote:

@Datalink wrote:

The data rate you see on your laptop will depend greatly on the laptop itself, the processor speed, memory type and amount and hard drive speed if in fact your pc uses the hard drive as a virtual drive due to having 4 gigs of memory or less.  We had an Acer laptop that wouldn't go beyond 200 Mb/s using either a USB 3 to gigabit adapter or wifi.  Thats the limit of the laptop.  We also have a gaming laptop in house that will do over 800 Mb/s, just never really tested it out.  So, if the techs are seeing over 900 Mb/s with their laptop, then I would believe that. 

 

It also depends on the speed test site that you use.  To run the Coda at max rates, you should use the speedtest.net Toronto Rogers or Montreal Rogers servers.  The Toronto Beanfield and Montreal Fibrenoire servers are also useful for testing the gigabit service.  Using any other server, you run the risk of seeing slower results and possibly blaming the result on the modem or your pc/laptop.


Common Datalink....I used the same Speed Tests to Rogers.....and  MacAir is an i5. It's bizarre and one begins to wonder....


Mac Air, uses pretty heavily neutered I series processors to achieve the battery they do.  The i5 they use is comperable to lower end i3 series unfortunitly. 

Many of these Ultrabooks and Mac Air laptops that sell today brand new are slower then my 3 year old laptop.  I work in the industry, and show people the performance difference on our display units daily. 

 

Depending on the series of the Proc and wifi card used, you may find it preforms sub standard to expectations as well. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Posts: 6,229

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Well, the Acer was an i3, which isn't that far off of an i5.  Its not just the processor, its everything else that the laptop is built with.  All I'm saying is that it doesn't surprise me that you're not seeing well over 900 Mb/s on a laptop.  Is the USB connector on the mac a USB 2 connector by any chance?  If so, its limited to 480 Mb/s.



I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 207

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial


@Datalink wrote:

Well, the Acer was an i3, which isn't that far off of an i5.  Its not just the processor, its everything else that the laptop is built with.  All I'm saying is that it doesn't surprise me that you're not seeing well over 900 Mb/s on a laptop.  Is the USB connector on the mac a USB 2 connector by any chance?  If so, its limited to 480 Mb/s.


True, its the wireless card, its power, the NIC controller. But i didnt really want ot get into a wall of text.  It rolls down hill with performance, so chances are if the proc is a power saving and or budget  unit, so is the wifi card, and nic, and so on. Which all affects the end result. 

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 84

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial


@Jeffj wrote:

@Datalink wrote:

Well, the Acer was an i3, which isn't that far off of an i5.  Its not just the processor, its everything else that the laptop is built with.  All I'm saying is that it doesn't surprise me that you're not seeing well over 900 Mb/s on a laptop.  Is the USB connector on the mac a USB 2 connector by any chance?  If so, its limited to 480 Mb/s.


True, its the wireless card, its power, the NIC controller. But i didnt really want ot get into a wall of text.  It rolls down hill with performance, so chances are if the proc is a power saving and or budget  unit, so is the wifi card, and nic, and so on. Which all affects the end result. 


Folks....you're not giving me any compelling reasons...just Blah, Blah, Blah. We need Facts not Alternative ones...Cheers!

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 207

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial


@rjmaxim wrote:

@Jeffj wrote:

@Datalink wrote:

Well, the Acer was an i3, which isn't that far off of an i5.  Its not just the processor, its everything else that the laptop is built with.  All I'm saying is that it doesn't surprise me that you're not seeing well over 900 Mb/s on a laptop.  Is the USB connector on the mac a USB 2 connector by any chance?  If so, its limited to 480 Mb/s.


True, its the wireless card, its power, the NIC controller. But i didnt really want ot get into a wall of text.  It rolls down hill with performance, so chances are if the proc is a power saving and or budget  unit, so is the wifi card, and nic, and so on. Which all affects the end result. 


Folks....you're not giving me any compelling reasons...just Blah, Blah, Blah. We need Facts not Alternative ones...Cheers!


These are facts, not blah blah blah, just because you dont understand the relation of hardware to achievable bandwidth doesn't mean the relation is a fallacy.

 

I can tell you for a fact that tower is ancient in computer terms, and newer hardware then it has hard times sustaioning true gigabit speeds.  And my post about hte macbook air was to give you the heads up that it was designedwith power saving in mind and it will also most likely not e able to achieve gigabit speeds and sustaion them for long periods of time either, as the system resources will have to be used for more then just the internet connection.

I'm a Reliable Contributor
Posts: 338

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

@Jeffj

 

Here is a question for you:  If you have 2 system that have gigbit NICs and you can transfer files between them at gigbit speeds, should you not get the same performance in a speed test?  Data is data and your i/o between sending the files from A to B and then from B to A would be equivalent of downloading a file from a server correct?

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 207

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial


@mahomed wrote:

@Jeffj

 

Here is a question for you:  If you have 2 system that have gigbit NICs and you can transfer files between them at gigbit speeds, should you not get the same performance in a speed test?  Data is data and your i/o between sending the files from A to B and then from B to A would be equivalent of downloading a file from a server correct?


Not entirly, As your LAN<->LAN transfers will never suffer from outside issues or latency caused from them, the route is also direct and not multiple hops. 

 

But theoretically, in a perfect world with prfect internet, if you can achieve gigabit speeds in LAN<->LAN transactions there shoudl be no reason why you cant achieven full gigabit speeds (about 940mbps, because of TCP stack overhead) on an internet connection.