Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

getting same download issues to, yesterday morning and afternoon on ignite250 , why cant rogers get this fixed ? this is starting to get annoying we have waited for firmwares, new modems ,ipv6 ,docs 3.1 and stilll we have poor internet services get your act together Rogers.

Look at the new package they have out now 😂

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

glad to see they only changed the packages for Ontario, in NB we still have the same packages!

prodkos
I've been here awhile

Thats intersting. 250U package has the same upload speeds as my 30Mbps package from

teksavvy....

prodkos
I've been here awhile

nm, i didnt read the page correctly...

trafsta
I plan to stick around

So yesterday around 11am I swapped my CGN3AMR for a CODA4582 w/ 2 black dots at the local Rogers store 20 minutes away... was told to just plug it in and away I go. Well, I haven't been able to get it online since then. Apparently after calling in to tech support it seems I picked a day when the auto-provisioning servers/service was down at Rogers end (yay for me). Was told at 12-noon yesterday that I would be "manually provisioned" in about 2-3 hours... called back in at 5pm when it still wasn't up and apparently they were no where near getting it back up at that time... woke up this morning and it is still down... yay...

Once this all gets fixed (better be today!) I'm really hoping that I can finally get my Cisco RV220w IPSEC VPN appliance that sites behind the Hitron to work while the CODA is in gateway mode...  with the CGN3AMR in Bridge mode the IPSEC site-to-site tunnel from the Cisco to a Palo Alto at my work connects just fine (with an old Linksys E3000 as the router), but since going to Gateway mode on the trial CGN3AMR firmware (to fix VoIP issues) it did not work any longer (the E3000 did not have enough horespower to get above 180-190mbit on my 250mbit Rogers connection)... hoping the CODA4582 with non-trial firmware works (assuming no ipv6 on non-trial firmware still?)... or if necessary I'll go to the trial firmware w/ the ipv6 firewall capability if IPsec site-to-site works. As a last resort I have a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite on order that I am hoping to use as a router AND VPN appliance instead of these Hitrons... hopefully after that everything works fine (VoIP, ipsec site-to-site vpn while the CODA isin bridge mode).. fun times 🙂 Oh well, at least my cabling issues seem resolved as a result of all of this these past 6 or so months.

jjdunn10
I plan to stick around
@trafsta you should call in to tech again and ask to speak to tier 2 and make sure they have the same serial number you have for the modem.

joker2168
I plan to stick around

@trafsta wrote:

So yesterday around 11am I swapped my CGN3AMR for a CODA4582 w/ 2 black dots at the local Rogers store 20 minutes away... was told to just plug it in and away I go. Well, I haven't been able to get it online since then. Apparently after calling in to tech support it seems I picked a day when the auto-provisioning servers/service was down at Rogers end (yay for me). Was told at 12-noon yesterday that I would be "manually provisioned" in about 2-3 hours... called back in at 5pm when it still wasn't up and apparently they were no where near getting it back up at that time... woke up this morning and it is still down... yay...

Once this all gets fixed (better be today!) I'm really hoping that I can finally get my Cisco RV220w IPSEC VPN appliance that sites behind the Hitron to work while the CODA is in gateway mode...  with the CGN3AMR in Bridge mode the IPSEC site-to-site tunnel from the Cisco to a Palo Alto at my work connects just fine (with an old Linksys E3000 as the router), but since going to Gateway mode on the trial CGN3AMR firmware (to fix VoIP issues) it did not work any longer (the E3000 did not have enough horespower to get above 180-190mbit on my 250mbit Rogers connection)... hoping the CODA4582 with non-trial firmware works (assuming no ipv6 on non-trial firmware still?)... or if necessary I'll go to the trial firmware w/ the ipv6 firewall capability if IPsec site-to-site works. As a last resort I have a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite on order that I am hoping to use as a router AND VPN appliance instead of these Hitrons... hopefully after that everything works fine (VoIP, ipsec site-to-site vpn while the CODA isin bridge mode).. fun times 🙂 Oh well, at least my cabling issues seem resolved as a result of all of this these past 6 or so months.

I am using the EdgeRouter X in bridge mode. Running .24 and a coda 4582 single black dot. Runs very well on my ignite250 getting close to 250 down and 20MB up on a pretty consistent basis. No Voip Issues and I am VPN to a Juniper concentrator. I also use a Ubiquti AP-LR.

mozerd
I plan to stick around

@joker2168 wrote:

@trafsta wrote:

So yesterday around 11am I swapped my CGN3AMR for a CODA4582 w/ 2 black dots at the local Rogers store 20 minutes away...

I am using the EdgeRouter X in bridge mode. Running .24 and a coda 4582 single black dot. Runs very well on my ignite250 getting close to 250 down and 20MB up on a pretty consistent basis. No Voip Issues and I am VPN to a Juniper concentrator. I also use a Ubiquti AP-LR.

@joker2168@trafsta, When you bridge the ER-X or ERL -- bridging is done in software so that KILLS any speed advantage the ER-X or ERL offers. MUCH better tp BRIDGE the CODA and have the ER-X  or ERL operate as your Router/gateway etc. where you can exploit the speed advantage available to you. The ER-X or ERL, as a Router, is far Superior -- in every way shape and form --- to the CODA Router.

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

joker2168
I plan to stick around

@mozerd wrote:

@joker2168 wrote:

@trafsta wrote:

So yesterday around 11am I swapped my CGN3AMR for a CODA4582 w/ 2 black dots at the local Rogers store 20 minutes away...

@joker2168@trafsta, When you bridge the ER-X bridging is done in software so that KILLS any speed advantage the ER-X offers. MUCH better tp BRIDGE the CODA and have the ER-X  operate as your Router/gateway etc. where you can exploit the speed advantage available to you. The ER-X, as a Router, is far Superior -- in every way shape and form --- to the CODA Router.

Sorry I meant putting the Coda into bridge mode. not the X router.

trafsta
I plan to stick around

@jjdunn10 I've called in 3 times, all agents I speak to say the same thing - it is a company-wide provisioning server issue. Techs/installers visiting homes to setup a new internet connection cannot even provision a brand new modem install for a new customer, or so I'm told.

The first call they double checked the serial # with what I have in the back of the modem also, it was correct. They see a strong signal up/down on the modem, it's simply not provisioned, and since their provisioning server/service is down, they cannot provision it...

Fun times.

Going to setup a Microhard Bell cellular internet connection at my house for now so I can still get some darn work done... *frustrated*

trafsta
I plan to stick around

@joker2168 awesome thanks for the info. I haven't used EdgeRouter's before, very interested to see one in action. Definitely tired of using the Hitron's in gateway mode... I haven't had to use a Rogers or Start.ca, etc, modem in gateway mode in years, until I maxed out the Linksys E3000 that I was using as a router when switching from the Rogers 100u to 250u connection... I already have two Netgear R7000's in two spots of my house running in AP mode and I didn't want to invest $$$ into a new router if it wasn't necessary... you'd think I could get a Hitron working well enough, but I guess not 😞 Getting my work to pay for the EdgeRouter at least since it's replacing the Cisco (I couldn't really justify another R7000 as a work expense, but the EdgeRouter is justifiable...).

Side note: I see they have a 150u/15 and 500u/20 connection now. I changed to 250u like a month ago. $97.99 is what I pay I think (could be wrong). I guess thats a good deal compared to these newer plans eh? What gives???

joker2168
I plan to stick around

@trafsta wrote:

@joker2168 awesome thanks for the info. I haven't used EdgeRouter's before, very interested to see one in action. Definitely tired of using the Hitron's in gateway mode... I haven't had to use a Rogers or Start.ca, etc, modem in gateway mode in years, until I maxed out the Linksys E3000 that I was using as a router when switching from the Rogers 100u to 250u connection... I already have two Netgear R7000's in two spots of my house running in AP mode and I didn't want to invest $$$ into a new router if it wasn't necessary... you'd think I could get a Hitron working well enough, but I guess not 😞 Getting my work to pay for the EdgeRouter at least since it's replacing the Cisco (I couldn't really justify another R7000 as a work expense, but the EdgeRouter is justifiable...).

Side note: I see they have a 150u/15 and 500u/20 connection now. I changed to 250u like a month ago. $97.99 is what I pay I think (could be wrong). I guess thats a good deal compared to these newer plans eh? What gives???

The Edge router is pretty awesome. Its very easy to configure and comes with a ton of features for the price. I use it mainly to segragate my virtual demo enviroment. 

I am paying 97 -minus 14 for the bundle discount on the 250U.

trafsta
I plan to stick around

Cool, yeah, same price. Work's paying for my internet so I opted for the bundle that heavily discounts are single HD PVR "basic cable" TV rather than the internet 😉 I only have 2 products on my account.

I get around 330mbit download on it also.

Curious to one day see how the CODA performs... if it ever gets provisioned... still undecided as to whether or not I should ask to get my CODA on the trial CODA firmware after it does get provisioned.

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

Anyone done a speed test using MacAir with USB Gigabit Ethernet Adapter connected the Coda?

Yesterday, two very nice Senior Tech's confirmed all readings were good.....then hooked-up the Test Coda, ran a speed test and boom 975/46. Now, they connected their laptop to port 2 of my Coda, which is in bridge mode.....and bang now 925/42. OK....it must be your NIC on the Dell XPS why your speeds are low. So, I checked and NIC was Intel 82566DC gigabit network card. Yeah, but you're running Vista Ultimate...so that is the problem. Fine....I'll look into it and will do my own test later using Apple MacAir...but have to get a USB Lan Adapter. Got a TP-Link USB3 Gigabit adapter this morning....turned-off all WiFi, connected the LAN and got a ping of 3 with 425/40 to Rogers Server......FAR from 975/46 the Techs got yesterday. Before calling them back, I'll be doing some more tests using other PC's. The Techs also used a Gigabit adapter on their Panasonic laptops....So what am I missing?        

The data rate you see on your laptop will depend greatly on the laptop itself, the processor speed, memory type and amount and hard drive speed if in fact your pc uses the hard drive as a virtual drive due to having 4 gigs of memory or less.  We had an Acer laptop that wouldn't go beyond 200 Mb/s using either a USB 3 to gigabit adapter or wifi.  Thats the limit of the laptop.  We also have a gaming laptop in house that will do over 800 Mb/s, just never really tested it out.  So, if the techs are seeing over 900 Mb/s with their laptop, then I would believe that. 

It also depends on the speed test site that you use.  To run the Coda at max rates, you should use the speedtest.net Toronto Rogers or Montreal Rogers servers.  The Toronto Beanfield and Montreal Fibrenoire servers are also useful for testing the gigabit service.  Using any other server, you run the risk of seeing slower results and possibly blaming the result on the modem or your pc/laptop.

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:

The data rate you see on your laptop will depend greatly on the laptop itself, the processor speed, memory type and amount and hard drive speed if in fact your pc uses the hard drive as a virtual drive due to having 4 gigs of memory or less.  We had an Acer laptop that wouldn't go beyond 200 Mb/s using either a USB 3 to gigabit adapter or wifi.  Thats the limit of the laptop.  We also have a gaming laptop in house that will do over 800 Mb/s, just never really tested it out.  So, if the techs are seeing over 900 Mb/s with their laptop, then I would believe that. 

It also depends on the speed test site that you use.  To run the Coda at max rates, you should use the speedtest.net Toronto Rogers or Montreal Rogers servers.  The Toronto Beanfield and Montreal Fibrenoire servers are also useful for testing the gigabit service.  Using any other server, you run the risk of seeing slower results and possibly blaming the result on the modem or your pc/laptop.

Common Datalink....I used the same Speed Tests to Rogers.....and  MacAir is an i5. It's bizarre and one begins to wonder....

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@rjmaxim wrote:

@Datalink wrote:

Common Datalink....I used the same Speed Tests to Rogers.....and  MacAir is an i5. It's bizarre and one begins to wonder....

Mac Air, uses pretty heavily neutered I series processors to achieve the battery they do.  The i5 they use is comperable to lower end i3 series unfortunitly. 

Many of these Ultrabooks and Mac Air laptops that sell today brand new are slower then my 3 year old laptop.  I work in the industry, and show people the performance difference on our display units daily. 

Depending on the series of the Proc and wifi card used, you may find it preforms sub standard to expectations as well. 

Well, the Acer was an i3, which isn't that far off of an i5.  Its not just the processor, its everything else that the laptop is built with.  All I'm saying is that it doesn't surprise me that you're not seeing well over 900 Mb/s on a laptop.  Is the USB connector on the mac a USB 2 connector by any chance?  If so, its limited to 480 Mb/s.

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:

Well, the Acer was an i3, which isn't that far off of an i5.  Its not just the processor, its everything else that the laptop is built with.  All I'm saying is that it doesn't surprise me that you're not seeing well over 900 Mb/s on a laptop.  Is the USB connector on the mac a USB 2 connector by any chance?  If so, its limited to 480 Mb/s.

True, its the wireless card, its power, the NIC controller. But i didnt really want ot get into a wall of text.  It rolls down hill with performance, so chances are if the proc is a power saving and or budget  unit, so is the wifi card, and nic, and so on. Which all affects the end result. 

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

@Jeffj wrote:

@Datalink wrote:

True, its the wireless card, its power, the NIC controller. But i didnt really want ot get into a wall of text.  It rolls down hill with performance, so chances are if the proc is a power saving and or budget  unit, so is the wifi card, and nic, and so on. Which all affects the end result. 

Folks....you're not giving me any compelling reasons...just Blah, Blah, Blah. We need Facts not Alternative ones...Cheers!