FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Network Architect
Network Architect

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

@Silence wrote:

@As far as online gaming specifically for the PS4 I'd say my old advance modem was a lot better than my now ac version. I used a cat7 ethernet cable connection with both and so far the connection was faster and less laggy using my non ac advance modem. I thought getting the latest firmware may fix the issue but I'm still not getting the speeds I was when I did the PS4 network speed test using my old modem. I'm currently using software version 4.5.8.22 I've been experiementing with this firmware for awhile trying to get a good feel for it even tried putting the ps4 in DMZ mode and even portfowarding the important ports but nothing seems to give me the consistancy I had with my regular non ac advance modem.

Thanks for your feedback Silence. We are currently working with both our modem and CMTS vendor to reduce latency variations observed by certain users. This is a top priority for us at the moment.

When you refer to the non-ac modem, would you be able to provide a specific example (model name)?

I Plan to Stick Around

@Silence wrote:

@As far as online gaming specifically for the PS4 I'd say my old advance modem was a lot better than my now ac version. I used a cat7 ethernet cable connection with both and so far the connection was faster and less laggy using my non ac advance modem. I thought getting the latest firmware may fix the issue but I'm still not getting the speeds I was when I did the PS4 network speed test using my old modem. I'm currently using software version 4.5.8.22 I've been experiementing with this firmware for awhile trying to get a good feel for it even tried putting the ps4 in DMZ mode and even portfowarding the important ports but nothing seems to give me the consistancy I had with my regular non ac advance modem.

In my experience the PS4 speed test results are so inconsistent and often so inaccurate that they're almost random numbers - not say you're not having an issue, but this (the PS4 speedtest) is probably one of the worst ways to diagnose it.

I'm a Regular

I'm also experiencing some higher pings and slower speeds with this modem when playing xbox one omline. just upgraded from the cgn3 which was better overall for gaming. Is there a fix coming or do we need to go back to the cgn3
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I am having an issue with my Nexus 6P when its connected to the home wifi, sometimes its VERY SLOW, like would take 15- 20 seconds to load a webpage. Sometimes the wifi symbol shows an issue with it with an exclamation mark. rebooting the modem fixes the issue. However, i don't notice the issue on my LG G3...

I'm a Regular

Why do you guys relase a firmware / modem with so many issues ? Online gaming sucks with the modem why ? No issues with the original cgn3 why this one ? Thought the rocket modem was supposed to be alot better for online gaming I don't see it.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersDave That's great news that you guys starting to work on latency.

Many of us are online gamers and let's be honest with Rogers Cable the speed is great but the Ping/lantecy in online game is sky high.

Any games I play I always have almost the double ping compared to someone on DSL or FTTH.

Exemple: I will have 75 ping in NY,Chicago servers, and friends with FTTH and DSL around the same location north east NB.. will have 20-25 ping, and it's the same thing with any games, always have double dsl/ftth ping.

I know there is only so much you can do with firmware.. and the only way to really lower the ping down will be DOCSIS 3.1 , however are you guys trying to at least reduce ping a little on the next firmware update, will it be released soon to beta tester?

Network Architect
Network Architect

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

I know there is only so much you can do with firmware.. and the only way to really lower the ping down will be DOCSIS 3.1 , however are you guys trying to at least reduce ping a little on the next firmware update, will it be released soon to beta tester?

In all transparency, the next firmware (which should be 4.5.8.22T2) will not include anything related to latency.

We are however working on multiple fronts to improve jitter by optimizing the configuration of some pieces of equipment. We are also baselining different configurations to see what we can achieve. This may lead to a firmware change or not, it is not clear at this point.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Thanks for the update @RogersDave , I can't wait to test this out, can we expect this soon?

I've Been Here Awhile

I still have slower wifi than the previous advanced modem.  I am thinking of changing the wifi channel.

Since I am not a tech guy, can someone advise if this is safe to do so.

Thanks

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the response, that's good to know that the issue is already being addressed. What I mean by non-ac modem I'm referring to the advance modem from 2014 I believe it's the Hitron CGN3 looks exactly like the now current (2015) Hitron CGN3ACR just without the AC on the front. I was told by a rogers rep that the new modem would increase my range in terms of wifi and with it being the latest in terms tech goes I thought what could I lose and decided to swap in favor of the newer one. Both modems were updated and running on the newer CMTS at the time of testing it's just the CGN3 had less latency thus far..