Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Hubert1
I've been here awhile

I still have slower wifi than the previous advanced modem.  I am thinking of changing the wifi channel.

Since I am not a tech guy, can someone advise if this is safe to do so.

Thanks

Silence
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the response, that's good to know that the issue is already being addressed. What I mean by non-ac modem I'm referring to the advance modem from 2014 I believe it's the Hitron CGN3 looks exactly like the now current (2015) Hitron CGN3ACR just without the AC on the front. I was told by a rogers rep that the new modem would increase my range in terms of wifi and with it being the latest in terms tech goes I thought what could I lose and decided to swap in favor of the newer one. Both modems were updated and running on the newer CMTS at the time of testing it's just the CGN3 had less latency thus far..

Silence
I plan to stick around

I know what your saying, I just used it for reference. I noticed the latency almost imediately which made me decide to run the test (PS4) it's a lot more inconsistant now with the newer modem (Hitron CGN3ACR). The test isn't going to give you the exact speed your paying for because it has to connect to Sony servers I believe which may not be as close to you as you think but even so I was getting much higher and consistant speeds with my old modem (Hitron CGN3). I began researching as it was ruining my online gaming experience which lead me to this forum, I thought updating it with the latest firmware may address the issue but it's still present here and there..

I just got the cgn3 acr should I return it back for the cgn3

Should I return mine and get back the cgn3 ? From what I thought and read before was the cgn3acr was better for gaming with Lowe pings / latency but guess they where wrong

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Right now the CGN3 has better latency, but if I would be you I would wait.. Dave said they are working on a fix and it is high priority.

I am also on the CGN3ACR and have high pring in online games.. but I am confident they will fix this soon.

Just to add to this conversation, all of the CGN3 series modems have or had latency issues to and thru the modem.  The CGN3ACSMR had this resolved last year with the release of 4.5.8.16.  The same latency has not been addressed for the CGN3 and CGN3ACR.  The result of that latency is an average of 5 to 6 ms to the modem with random ping times.  The latency to the CGN3ACSMR and CGNM-3552 is in the neighborhood of 0 to 1 ms.  So, there are issues with going back to the CGN3. 

The recent latency issue was brought about by the introduction of the Casa CMTS equipment, which in theory should result in issues with all of the modems (personal opinion).  As @RogersDave indicated, the engineering staff along with the Casa and Hitron engineers are working towards a solution to resolve the latency spikes that are currently seen.  These can be seen in my recent profile images which show pinglotter tests to the node just beyond the modem, which is the CMTS.  Before anyone switches back to a CGN3, I would look for an indication from  @RogersDave that shows if the CGN3 does in fact offer a temporary solution, or, if the ping times to the CMTS, for that modem, are the same as observed on the CNG3ACSMR and CGNM-3552.  If they are the same, then there would be no point switching.  So, you have to keep in mind  that there are two latency issues on the go, latency from the modem to the CMTS which Rogers, Casa, and Hitron are working to resolve, and latency to and thru the modem.

Fwiw in terms of modem performance, the CGN3ACSMR with 4.5.8.16 and beyond offers the best latency to and thru the modem, along with other changes that resolved a good number of gaming problems.  In a round about way, with 4.5.8.21 or .22 loaded on the CGN3ACR, that modem should be equal in terms of latency to and thru the modem, although neither one of those versions were developed for the CGN3ACR.

Also fwiw, I would agree with @JohnBeaudin.  This is a high priority task.  Keep the faith at this point in time.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Now that you are telling me that.. you are right @Datalink , since I got upgraded to the CASA network.. is when my latency started to go sky high, I mean my latency was already a lot more than DSL or FTTH.. but when I got upgraded to casa ping is sky high.

Sorry for the confusion guys.. probably better to stay on the CGN3ACR and wait for the fix.

ArtG1
I'm here a lot
how do i get upgrade on my modem - chromecast cant connect

someguy1701
I've been here awhile
I'm on the latest version and over the past week or so it is getting more and more difficult to stay connected and now I only get 30 mins or so before it cuts out all together and needs to be unplugged and plugged back in to the wall. Does anyone else have this issue or have a solution to this issue, any help would be great.

gtirsmiley
I've been here awhile

Hi. Got upgraded to .22 just about an hour ago. However, before the upgrade, I was having issues in that my modem would lose it's internet connection (but modem remains on) and after about 2-3 minutes, the blue lights return to the modem and everything works again.

It will last for anywhere between 5-30minutes then it repeats the cycle.

I was hoping being upgraded from .21 to .22 would fix it. But it hasn't.

What should I do? Can someone help?

Which modem are you having issues with

@gtirsmiley, @someguy1701

I will have a look at both of your modem and attempt to figure out what is going on. Are you telling me that you are consistently getting disconnected from the Internet every 30 minutes or so?

Dave

gtirsmiley
I've been here awhile
It's a cgn3acsmr

gtirsmiley
I've been here awhile

@RogersDave Yes that is correct. It seems to have gotten worse to the point I can't browse for more than 5-7 minutes!

someguy1701
I've been here awhile
I have found that it helps to take the band control off auto and manually select the bands. Also my modem is the CGN3CSMR.

cyco
I plan to stick around

Mine doesn't drop that often, but still two times yesterday and twice again today so far. They are fast to recover from but seems to occur at the worst time possible (when I am with a customer).

I'm guessing this is from the extra monitoring or troubleshooting being actively done. I appreciate your efforts Dave.

Why don't you just Bridge the modem and use your own router won't that solve your problem

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

I know you said it's high priority.. but can we have any sort of ETA of when this latency will go down for online gaming?

Is this latency fix for all Rogers modems ?

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

@RogersDave

I know you said it's high priority.. but can we have any sort of ETA of when this latency will go down for online gaming?

@lethalsniper wrote:
Is this latency fix for all Rogers modems ?

We are currently investigating multiple options to improve latency and jitter while gaming. All aspects of the end to end path (modem, CMTS, peering). As me make changes there should be an improvement. For CMTS and peering changes, it will affect all modems.

For modem changes, if any, it will likely be targetted to the AC generations of Hitron (CNG3ACR, CGN3ACSMR, CGN3AMR, CGN3AMF, CGNM3552).

There is no ETA yet because it depends on what we find but I can assure you that we are working on this item.