Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

When you try 192.168.0.1, does it go to the login page and not respond to the user inputs, or, does the browser simply hang and not access the page?

When in doubt, you should be able to call tech support and ask the tech to factory reset the modem again, that is of course assuming that the tech can actually access the modem.  

@RogersIan should be watching for comments such as these.  

One thought that comes to mind is to delete the existing Lan and Wifi network profiles from the pc so that windows regenerates those profiles.  That shouldn't make any difference, but, there's always a possibility that it might. 

Right now it is a wired connection to my PC, but I will try resetting. Previously it was simply Automatic everything but now StaticIP+DNS was needed to actually access internet.

Initially, as others reported, the UI on 192.168.0.1 partially loaded but we saw Login Failure - UnknownError.

I tried logging in now with 0 changes and I actually got the login prompt (previously was just a Chrome-side error 400.

image.png

So yeah, this is consistent with the past 2 days of me dealing with this.

Either

1. UnknownError in HTML, can't login

2. If I can login, the UI works for a few seconds or is just empty

3. If I factory reset it works for a little bit, then regresses to #1 or #2

I would like to participate. how can I join the trial? I have the black Hiltron modem, not sure if its nicknamed the "rocket" can someone reach out to me?

Seems Rogers Tech Support also cannot access the modem when I am unable to. At least it's not my end. Almost certain it's the firmware!

Hello, @Pauly

We're happy to hear that you want to join the Firmware Trial!

Please Click Here to find the steps on how to join the trial. We look forward to having you onboard as a tester. 😃

Regards,

CommunityHelps

RogersTony

blues_clues
I plan to stick around

@RogersIan 

I received 7.1.1.27 over the weekend and with testing against 7.1.1.21, I saw no improvement of my existing issues.

- I cannot forward IPV6 DNS using DHCP

- Issue still exists with my smart devices on 2.4Ghz band

- DDNS pick list unchanged

- 5Ghz wireless is more unstable from 7.1.1.21 (I had to unplug/plug my modem)

If possible, can the 2.0.10.36T6 feature be retained on future 7.1.1.x versions?

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

New CODA-4582 firmware - strange results in DOCSIS table & strange internet issue

Hi everyone, yesterday (Dec 3rd), I lost internet connectivity during work (I work from home full time) and noticed it was because my CODA was rebooting.  When it came back online, all the lights were fine (downlink light indicated it was running in 3.1 mode), but I started to randomly drop my Skype and Microsoft Teams calls/meetings.  I NEVER had this issue prior to yesterday.  Speed tests and the internet in general all seem fine...it's really just the issues with Skype/Teams as far as I can tell for now.  When I logged into the CODA, I found some strange results.  See pics attached below.  SW version is 7.1.1.27.  The system time is incorrect.  And with respect to my upstream overview, I now see 4 additional channels (total of 8 with channels 4-8 being blank).  Also, the signal strength of channels 1-4 has increased from what used to be 32-33 dB to what's now 37-38 dB.  I would not be posting this if everything worked fine, but I've been having a lot of issues with Skype and Teams, which started happening when I received this update...it can't be coincidence.  I've manually rebooted the CODA but the results are the same.  Is anyone else experiencing similar results?

sw version.jpgupstream.jpg

PLEASE REVERT ME BACK TO 36T6 and take me off the firmware trial testing.  I no longer want to be an early adopter/tester of new firmware.

wpak
I'm here a lot

Since the firmware changed to 7.1.1.27, I lost internet connection for 3 times.  I need to reboot the router to resolve the problem.  Not very impressive!!

Hello, @toolcubed.

The loss of Internet connection especially while working from home can be quite inconvenient! I see you have already sent a private message to CommunityHelps, we have sent off the request to look into it. Thank you so much for your patience. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

AzaanKamran
I plan to stick around
I want to be updated to the firmware im on trial still didnt got it the new update

RogersIan
Product Manager
Product Manager

We have identified the issue a few members here experienced (and helped resolve) where GUI access and in some cases connectivity is lost. A reboot would often fix this for a short time, but the modem would eventually revert to this state.

Luckily we have been able to implement the fix in the configuration of the current code and don't require a complete new build to resolve this particular issue.

This fix was applied this morning, so for anyone on 7.1.1.27 who has been experiencing lack of GUI access and/or connectivity issues please monitor your connection for the next day or so and let me know if you see an improvement.

We will also be upgrading our next batch of modems during the overnight window. Those of you still on 2.0.10.36T6 please keep an eye out.

Thanks again for everyone's support, you have been instrumental in finding and fixing these issues.

RogersIan

AzaanKamran
I plan to stick around
Can i be updated plz right now

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersIan

Can you make sure .27 get pushed to me overnight.

Hucklebury
I plan to stick around

I would like to become a tester but I have had this ongoing issue (2.0.10.36T6) when the modem lands on Receiver 0 in the OFDM downstream overview my internet becomes crippled to 5-10 Mbps down. This problem will happen with firmware updates or a Factory reset. I have figured out a way to get it to move to receiver 1 but will still get degraded speeds on the 1GBPS Package Approx 400 -500 download. @RogersIan I have also sent you a few PMS on this matter. Hoping to get this issue resolved prior beta testing.

Ryry14
I've been around

Hi I've been with Rogers for a week and have had non-stop bufferbloat issues with my Coda-4582u. Can't play any online games because there's crippling latency spikes every 5-20 seconds. 

I'm currently on firmware 2.0.10.36T6. I've spent every week night trying to manipulate my settings and reading over forum after forum of people complaining about this issue with this modem. 

My question is, is there any way to get rid of this bufferbloat without buying and bridging another router, would getting the trial firmware help? How do I go about getting the trial firmware?

If I can't get my 500 plan to perform better than my old TekSavvy 50 plan, then I'm going to switch back to TekSavvy..

Thanks

@Ryry14 ,

1. You’re on the latest release version for the 4582 modem. The engineers are getting ready to release version 7.1.1.27 and at the present time, that version is only being released to the trial modem group.  The bugs are being worked out of this version so the release to the trial group has been slow so far.  That version has a new kernel to support DOCSIS 3.1 upstream OFDMA which Rogers is looking to enable, hopefully in the not too distant future.  My modem hasn’t been updated yet so I haven’t had any opportunity to test it myself, looking for any latency issues.  So, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend updating to that version if you’re looking to resolve suspected latency issues. 
  2. How are you measuring the latency spikes, ingame or with a test application of some type?
  3. Don’t believe everything that you read in the forums. The 4582 is very much a software driven modem and not all firmware versions are equal, so to speak.
  4. To get your modem on the Trial Version list, follow this link @CommunityHelps when you’re logged into the forum in order to send a message to the moderators. Further down, in the "Contact Me" section, there is a link to “Send this user a private message”.  Follow that link to the message composition page.  Fill in the title (Message Subject), and request to be included in the Trial Group.  Include your modem MAC address which can be found in the STATUS page when you log into the modem.  That page is displayed when you log into the modem and is listed as the HFC MAC address.  When you’re logged into the forum, watch for a number overlaying the avatar in the upper right hand corner of the page, which can indicate a waiting message.  Follow the avatar, (its also a link) down to the message section, specifically the inbound or waiting messages.  Respond to the message as required.  As I indicated above however, you might want to wait for a few days to see what comments arise as more modems are loaded with the current trial version. 
  5. Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS …. DOCSIS WAN tab, and select the Downstream Overview table in order to copy it. Also include the OFDM section, Upstream Overview and the OFDM/OFDMA section.  Essentially, select the whole table, right click …. Copy.  Then start a new post and right click ….. Paste.  That should paste in the whole table, from the Downstream Overview line all the way to the bottom of the table, and it should look like the table in the modem’s user interface.  I’m wondering if you’re running into any signal issues with the modem?  Hopefully the signal table will indicate if that’s the case.
  6. Do you have IPV6 enabled? If so, consider disabling it and running IPV4 only.  To do so, navigate to the BASIC …. GATEWAY FUNCTION.  For the router mode, select IPV4 only and save the changes.  The modem will take a couple of minutes to switch to IPV4 mode only.   I usually reboot the modem as well, ADMIN ….. DEVICE RESET …. Reboot.  Reboot the connected device as well, so that everything is running IPV4 only.  When that is done, give the game a try, to see it that makes any difference.  There is always the possibility that you’re on a heavily loaded neighbourhood node, but, if you didn’t see any issues with the previous modem, I don’t expect you to see any issues with the 4582.
  7. One item to consider is the peering and routing for gaming. That has never been discussed in the forum, which is very unfortunate.  My thoughts at the present time is that the TPIAs pay a considerable amount of attention to both peering and routing, so its possible that you might see much better performance with a TPIA than you would, or could with any big ISP, including Rogers.  To that end, you can have a look at the following thread:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Gaming-amp-Streaming-Lab/m-p/440211#M56121

and post your situation in that thread so that @RogersAndy can have a look at the details.  No guarantees, but, hopefully Andy can resolve the situation for you.

Fwiw, the TPIAs on RCable are now obtaining access to the Technicolor TC4400 modem which is a Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset modem, not an Intel modem.  So, I'd expect the performance for that chipset to be pretty good, but, having said that, you would have to look into the weeds to really see any difference between an Intel Puma 7 modem, which is what you have, and a Broadcom BCM-3390 modem.  The average user wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two modem.  Now having said that, the one test that might show a difference is a FLENT test, which is a multi-protocol test, testing specifically for simultaneous throughput and latency with multiple protocols.  Its been a while since a test was run for the 4582 modem so its a good question as to whether or not there has been any degradation in performance since the last test was run in 2017:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/CODA-4582-Open-Issues-for-Investigation/m-p/393227#M4...

The test web site:  https://flent.org/

ablatt
I plan to stick around

My Coda-4582 on 7.1.1.27 started going crazy this morning.  Constant rebooting and couldn't log in.  This was the first time this has happened, so I'm not sure whether these config pushes you are implementing are actually fixing the problem people are having or exacerbating it.

RogersIan
Product Manager
Product Manager

@ablattmodems which were already on 7.1.1.27 had to be rebooted during the maintenance window night to apply certain pieces of the fixes. Some modems were rebooted more then once.

For those of you who have 7.1 code and the modem has been online for more then 24 hours, if you are experiencing issues logging in to the GUI or connectivity drops please reboot your device.

Thank you,

RogersIan

AzaanKamran
I plan to stick around

I got the firmware but my speeds have dropped drastically it’s slow but working can you fix maybe my speed isn’t provisioned I don’t know 

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersIan

Just received .27 this morning, speeds is great , no latency issues.

So far everything is good, but I will do further testing today and give you better feedback at the end of the day.

mf152
I plan to stick around

Things seems to be getting a lot better today with 7.1.1.27.  I now get speeds that I have never actually ever gotten since getting this CODA modem way back when it first came out.