CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@RogersDave

Awesome, so that's the item that I can't wait to try!

I've Been Here Awhile

I am new in this forum and I have very limited knowledge on IT stuff.

Now here is my issue - My guest network was working fine. All on a sudden - every time someone tries to log in to the WIFI Guest network a message pops up - says - "
"only allow dhcp client to use this wireless."

How do resolve it and allow people to log into the guest network? Please help. 

Network Architect
Network Architect

@hukka wrote:

I am new in this forum and I have very limited knowledge on IT stuff.

Now here is my issue - My guest network was working fine. All on a sudden - every time someone tries to log in to the WIFI Guest network a message pops up - says - "
"only allow dhcp client to use this wireless."

How do resolve it and allow people to log into the guest network? Please help. 

Hukka,

This is unfortotunately a known issue with firmware 2.0.10.26T2. This firmware brings a lot of improvement to connection stability and performance in general over the previous firmware but it did break guest WiFi.

At this point, there are 2 options for you:

1. If can downgrade your modem firmware back to the previous version (you will need to send me a private message with your modem MAC address and serial number, both printed behind the modem)

2. Register to the firmware trial program by sending a private message to @CommunityHelps with the same information as option 1.

Option 2 is by far the best but you will have to wait until Monday when I'll start pushing out the latest firmware (2.0.10.27) to everybody which resolves this issue.

Dave

I Plan to Stick Around

I am on the CODA 4582 one black dot. Regular customer not on the trial program.

Two days ago my version changed from .24 to the .26T2

My speedtests with speedtest.net by OKRA to the Rogers Toronto server clearly show worse speeds (lower in general, but mostly on the download signals). Around the 300's Mbps even during 24:00 to 04:00 hours -in the wee hours-.

Abysmal speeds and the lack of speed consistency is very noticeable. From the speeds I see in here .26T2 is a regression from .24

With .24 I was seeing more often than not download speeds hovering 900Mbps at times. There were all over tha map during all times of the day between 250 and 900 Mbps.

Since March 29, 2017 and after 4 months since I signed into the Gigabit package the BIG issue with my speeds throttled to max 30Mbps they now seem to have been fixed. Now even with the downloads unaceptable low speeds, uploads seems to mostly be stable around the 45 to 50Mbps marks.

But as i said I am absolutely uninpressed with the results with the .26T2.

Is it a known issue that .24 had higher download speeds than .26T2?

Luckily I am not a gamer so in that respect I am not affected by what others report as their problems with gaming.

Any specific suggestions to fix my issues RogersDave?

Is the .27 version going to solve my current speed problems with .26T2?

Thank you 

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Dave,

It would be nice if you could do option 2. How would I know that it is done?

Thanks
Hukka
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@QueJoder have you restarted the modem since the update?  If not, can you give that a try, then run a speedtest at speedtest.net using the Toronto Rogers server?

If that doesn't improve the download/upload rate, I would run a factory reset.  Unfortunately that means resetting the modem settings after the factory reset. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hukka, to signup for the trial firmware if you're interested, send a private message to @CommunityHelps.  Follow that link to the public page for @CommunityHelps and then select the link on the right hand side to "Send this user a private message" to navigate to the message composition page. It will already be addressed.

Fill in the title: Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

In the text area, add your modems: MAC Address
                                                                Serial Number
                                                                Modem Model: CODA-4582

The first two can be found in the Status page when you log into the modem or on the back of the modem. They can be copied from the Status page and pasted into the message.

When you're logged into the forum, watch for a number overlaid on your avatar at the top right hand corner signifying a response from one of the moderators. Select that link and follow it down to your message inbox. You should see a disclaimer that has to be acknowledged prior to loading the latest version of trial firmware.

Keep an eye open on this thread or the Open Issues thread for any particular requirements for rebooting or running a factory reset on a modem with trial firmware loaded. Usually there are no special instructions, but, that can happen as has occurred with trial firmware V2.0.10.26T2, which is now network wide firmware for the CODA-4582. 

The upcoming V2.0.10.27 which Dave has indicated should have no problems with a modem restart.  A Factory reset would roll the modem back to V2.0.10.27.  There probably shouldn't be any reason to roll the modem back to the production version thru a factory reset, but that option is there in case its needed.  

If you log into your modem now, you will see the current Software (firmware) Version indicated on the STATUS page.  After the update, that should indicate V2.0.10.27

Network Architect
Network Architect

Good morning Community,

As I’ve been mentioning for a little while now, a team at Rogers has been working extremely hard to make the CODA-4582 a great gateway. The performance up to this point has not been what I expected from a DOCSIS 3.1 device but things are changing.

Working with Hitron and Intel on the gateway side and by making some adjustment on the network side, it appears (based on my limited testing) that we are now hitting the mark correctly with firmware 2.0.10.27.

This firmware improves the sequencing, queuing and transmission on uplink packets which seems to have a positive impact in latency for gamers and uplink and downlink speed stability (it doesn’t vary as much during a single transmission).

We also have been asked a few times to provide a way to disable IPv6 and this is now possible with this firmware. If you are brave, you can also disable IPv4 but that is a different topic of discussion.

In the coming weeks, we will be certifying this firmware for general deployment but as usual, members of this community will get an early preview through the Rogers Modem Firmware Trial Program.

Starting possibly today or tomorrow, some of you will receive the new firmware. I plan on having everybody running this firmware by 5PM on Monday.

Let me know how it goes for those of you who are hard core gamers, I would like to hear specifics about your experience.

Dave

I'm a Reliable Contributor

RogersDave wrote: 

Working with Hitron and Intel on the gateway side and by making some adjustment on the network side, it appears (based on my limited testing) that we are now hitting the mark correctly with firmware 2.0.10.27.

This firmware improves the sequencing, queuing and transmission on uplink packets which seems to have a positive impact in latency for gamers and uplink and downlink speed stability (it doesn’t vary as much during a single transmission).

@RogersDave, this seems to imply some sort of traffic shaping on the uplink, ala QoS.

Does this only impact "gateway" mode, or is it also applicable to "bridge" mode?

Highlighted
Network Architect
Network Architect

@Double_K wrote:

RogersDave wrote: 

@RogersDave, this seems to imply some sort of traffic shaping on the uplink, ala QoS.

Does this only impact "gateway" mode, or is it also applicable to "bridge" mode?

No it is not traffic shapping or QoS but has to do with scheduling packets at the best opportunistic time and on what channel, how long to buffer packets for to increase efficiency and things like that.

I would expect it applies to bridge mode as well but I only ran performance tests in gateway mode.

I ran tests yesterday using Flent, specially the "Realtime Response Under Load - Best Effort (RRUL-be)" test suite which basically measures latency to a server while simultaneously uploading and downloading data from that server.

RRUL-be test result for 2.0.10.26T2

RRUL CODA-4582 2.0.10.26T2

RRUL-be test result for 2.0.10.27

RRUL CODA-4582 2.0.10.27

Dave