Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Makaveli99
I plan to stick around

My up time is 14 days and i'm in bridge mode so I do not see this.

on Hardware 1A

ablatt
I plan to stick around

@Makaveli99 wrote:

My up time is 14 days and i'm in bridge mode so I do not see this.

on Hardware 1A

36T6 firmware?

mcsandy
I plan to stick around

Good uptime in gateway mode for me

LAN Up Time028 days 15h:05m:54s

7816751362.png

Makaveli99
I plan to stick around

Yes on 36T6

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

@mcsandy wrote:

Good uptime in gateway mode for me

LAN Up Time028 days 15h:05m:54s

7816751362.png

Speed in Bridged mode still sucks. On 36T6 for 29 days.....average speed around 400 Down and far from 1GB. Have not reached near 1000 since April. Problems either with local street Amps or Rogers servers.  As you can see from the graph over last 30 days.....it's pathetic. When you're paying for 1Gb speed....the average should be 1000 not 400 regardless whether you're Gateway or Bridge mode. And yes, in Gateway mode using direct connect...I am also getting same results. Rogers, please get your act together or lose more customers.     Smiley MadSmiley MadSpeed_Rogers.jpg  

It’s time to move on from Rogers it’s been nothing but issues all they do is come up with these modems and force us to upgrade and then come on here and complain and test beta firmwares that don’t work it’s been like this for 3-4 years ... it’s time to move to other providers there are other smaller providers that allow us to use Stand alone modems that work with no puma 6/ 7 issues .. end of the year I’m canceling all my Rogers account ..

Square
I'm a reliable contributor

Hello,

I upgraded my internet plan from 60 to 500.  Which speedtest is most accurate?, the web based ones or I have a program installed on Windows.  I'm asking cause the web based are giving readings in the 300s while the windows version I get 500+.   Thank you.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@Datalink

I heard that Rogers started to roll FTTC in some areas, can we guess that we're getting closer to a FTTH rollout in a couple years perhaps?

RyzenFX

@JohnBeaudin

Well if Rogers wanted to roll out FTTH a couple years after they implemented FTTC, it wouldn't make sense; they would have just opted to do FTTH now, instead of FTTC.

With their FTTC approach, they are future-proofing their network for Full Duplex (FDX) DOCSIS. The standard specifies a maximum of 10Gbps symmetrical, and those kind of speeds are not possible with existing infrastructure. FDX  DOCSIS needs higher modulation orders in order to reach speeds of 10Gbps, which also requires the need for higher signal-to-noise ratios (SNR), and much less noise. All of that can be possible if Rogers pushes fiber closer to the home through their FTTC approach. This could also mean that Rogers could be looking to implement remote-phy. 

As to why Rogers is upgrading specific neighborhoods with FTTC could be due the high bandwidth needs of neighborhood. Neighborhoods that have been already physically node-splitted by building a second node in the neighborhood, and would need another node split due to congestion, would be the first to receive this treatment.  This is what Rogers is referring to when they meant to push fibre deeper on a "case by case scenario" in their investor releases. 

hansm0leman
I plan to stick around

What @jszentir described sounds similar to what I just posted about as well.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/CODA-4582U-Loss-of-2-4-GHZ-Network/td-p/435858

I'll try switching mine back to mixed mode and see how that goes.

ablatt
I plan to stick around

I seem to be having an ongoing issue in bridge mode with the CODA 4582 2A, firmware 36T6.  Every couple of weeks my download speed will drop to 20 (on a gigabit plan) and the only thing that will fix it is to reset the modem to factory defaults.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

What's the plan for 2019? is Rogers going Remote Phy?

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

apparently there won't be much changes in 2019 lol

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

@RyzenFX wrote:

@JohnBeaudin

Well if Rogers wanted to roll out FTTH a couple years after they implemented FTTC, it wouldn't make sense; they would have just opted to do FTTH now, instead of FTTC.

With their FTTC approach, they are future-proofing their network for Full Duplex (FDX) DOCSIS. The standard specifies a maximum of 10Gbps symmetrical, and those kind of speeds are not possible with existing infrastructure. FDX  DOCSIS needs higher modulation orders in order to reach speeds of 10Gbps, which also requires the need for higher signal-to-noise ratios (SNR), and much less noise. All of that can be possible if Rogers pushes fiber closer to the home through their FTTC approach. This could also mean that Rogers could be looking to implement remote-phy. 

As to why Rogers is upgrading specific neighborhoods with FTTC could be due the high bandwidth needs of neighborhood. Neighborhoods that have been already physically node-splitted by building a second node in the neighborhood, and would need another node split due to congestion, would be the first to receive this treatment.  This is what Rogers is referring to when they meant to push fibre deeper on a "case by case scenario" in their investor releases. 

Currently Fiber is just used more as a marketing tool.....rather than effective technology use by both Bell and Rogers.

Rogers now markets Ultimate Fibre....as 350down and 350up for $225/month..... So is this FTTC ...since they sure don't have FTTH... ..Are they serious?  Appears Rogers has a Hybrid Fibre and an Ignite Coax option...REALLY?? Smiley Surprised

Been a member of this forum for 2 years and on Ignite Gigabit plan....Like many others worked through the trials with RogersDave to average 1Gb speeds but occasionally on good days maybe 700 with mostly an average of 400.  Sure Fiber is the future but right now.....it's mostly talk and we cannot get consistent speeds while paying dearly for all the hype. We need more competition  in Canada and for both Rogers and Bell to limit their marketing rhetoric and start delivering what we are paying for.  It's really pathetic how we are played and made to believe that the CRTC is helping us.  Smiley Frustrated 

Speed.jpg

RyzenFX

@rjmaxim 

OP was mistaken and thought it was FTTC, but instead they replaced the existing coax with new coax. They also relieved any sort of congestion experienced by adding 4-5 new nodes, as well as another 4-5 new nodes in the other end of OP's neighbourhood. 

I agree with you that internet prices are too expensive, and we do need competition to lower prices but with so little competition there's not really much we can do than bargain for better deals like the $35 500u going around right now.

Have you ever talked to customer support about congestion in your neighborhood? Maybe they could give you some insight if your neighbourhood is slated to be upgraded like the one above.

RyzenFX

I'm hoping that we can start 2019 pretty well with a clear indication of what's to come in terms of firmware/network updates for the CODA-4582 within the next month or so. @RogersIan do you think we can have some insight into this?

Ideas that I would certainly love to hear about:

• When will the next trial firmware be released to trial members and what will it fix, implement, or improve on?
  • Is the release of OFDMA around the corner? Is there anything the community needs to know when this network change hits?
  • Will the CODA-4582 ever be updated to show the correct OFDM information?

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

Hardware Version 1A

Software Version 2.0.10.36T5

Given the ongoing issues with the CODA-4582 on this version, with DHCP and 2.4G WiFi being the biggest ones for me, I am looking at the options to go to bridged mode instead. At one point, I had to put the CODA on a timer socket to force a power cycle every 24 hours, just to keep the service available while I was on vacation! 

What have the folks on here found to be the best router to put behind the CODA?

I use ipv6 extensively, so that's a must have. 

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

I'd love to have an answer to these questions also @RyzenFX

But it seems Rogers staffs are long gone from the forum.

ablatt
I plan to stick around

My CODA 4582-U 2A is running 36T6 in bridge mode with an Asus RT-AC86U with the latest Asus stock firmware.  The CODA modem reboots on its own every week at least.    I have no idea if it's modem or signal related.  I don't think it's the Asus.

It happens quickly and if you're not around you may not notice it.  You can see the MIMO messages in the log.

RogersIan
Product Manager
Product Manager

My apologies everyone, I am just getting back into the swing of things.

2019 brings

• Band Steering Q1
  • OFDMA (3.1 Upstream) Q2

As far as trial firmware, we recently finished testing  .37T2 for coda. This would have been out for trial by now, but bugs were found so it was not a candidate. Good news is we very recently received a new version with the fixes in place which is under test.

RogersIan

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Thanks for the update @RogersIan!

Looking forward to these, especially D.31 Upstream.