Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Send a message to @CommunityHelps requesting a reload of 33T3.  I suspect that Dave is busy as usual so it might take a day or two to accomplish. 

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@mozerd wrote:

Latency and Ping times have deteriorated

I'm curious what software do you use to gather statistics? I see some people mention latency and ping, but never mention software used to collect that data over a statistically significant time frame. Smiley Wink

mozerd
I plan to stick around

@arnym21 wrote:

I'm curious what software do you use to gather statistics? I see some people mention latency and ping, but never mention software used to collect that data over a statistically significant time frame. Smiley Wink

Ping plotter Pro

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

hoopdogg
I plan to stick around
WAN Up Time005 days 13h:06m:01s

upload/download speed fairly stable.  coda in gateway mode, wired connection primary user.  Thanks @RogersDave

Based on the feedback received, it appears that the firmware 2.0.10.33T3 is stable (no reboot issue). I have seen reports of increased latency in this thread but it seems limited and the firmware does not contain anything (from .33 to .33T3) that would impact the latency.

During our internal testing, we have however identified a potential issue with Huawei P10 phones in our lab where it seems that it makes the modem reboot when connected to WiFi. My question for the community, does anybody have a Huawei P10 phone used successfully on the CODA-4582 modem running firmware 2.0.10.33T3?

--Dave

malish
I've been here awhile

Hello can you guys help or whats happening, this is unplayable, My ping just keep spiking, This needs to be fixed. 

Latency spikes can be caused by a variety of factors, the modem firmware can be a contributor in some cases but there are also potentially load on the network, signal problem, maintenance, etc.

I would like to run an experiment and actively monitor the latency towards between a fixed point on the Internet and your modem over time. This will give me a better view of what happens over time and give me a reference point between versions of software to quickly detect issues.

I would like to start by monitoring about 10 modems and see if there is value. I would like a distribution between CODA modems and CGN3 "AC" series, bridge mode and gateway mode. The only 2 restrictions are that:

1. You must be part of the firmware trial program
  2. You must allow pings from the Internet (in the firewall configuration, "allow ping from WAN")

If you are interested in participating, send me a private message and I'll take it from there. I'm especially looking at those who complained about latency to me recently (@mozerd@Mythen, ...). If you are running your own firewall, I can also provide the source IP where the traffic will be monitored from for a more granular firewall rule.

--Dave

Sounds like a plan.  But ...... there is a huge difference between the gaming situation which most likely uses UDP, and ping, which uses ICMP.  Fwiw, from my own testing, the 4582 does not have any issues with UDP, TCP/IP or ICMP in terms of latency thru the modem and any UDP losses are negligible.  Latency to some far off end point thru several servers is a different matter.  I think, at the end of the day, the following questions also need to be asked:

1.  What game are you playing and whats the update rate, 30 Hz or maybe 60Hz (Overwatch selectable); and

2.  What protocol is in use (UDP or other?): and

3.  What's the path to the gaming server, short or long convoluted path using Cogent, and what's the load thru the various servers enroute to the gaming server; and

4.  Does Rogers peer with the gaming company thru a server in Toronto for example or does the game traffic take the long route thru various ISPs before it hits the gaming server; and

5.  What's the time of day where the issues are seen; and

6.  Is there anything else going on in the house in terms of modem traffic, ie; gaming, streaming, VOIP or VPN, etc, etc; and

7.  What modem do you have, if you have a CGN3xxxx series modem, where are we in terms of finally resolving the ICMP / TCP/IP / UDP latency for the Puma 6 modems.  Are we there yet?; and

8.  Is there a resolution to the problem of some 4582's running slow data rates? ; and

9.  Are you running the modem in Gateway mode or Bridge mode with a follow on router, and if so, is your router able to handle the load as you are expecting it to; and

10.  Are you connecting via ethernet or Wifi, where Wifi brings its own problems into the picture.  You should be gaming or running any latency intolerant application via ethernet, personal opinion; and

11.  Whats the load on the CMTS, which the modem is connected to;

I'm sure that there are other questions that might be applicable, but these are the first that come to mind. 

arnym21
I plan to stick around

That's from near academic point of view. Smiley Happy But so far what I seen is primarily "modem reboot" posts without any useful info attached or systemic attempt on reporters side to present it in an actionable way. Almost no posts re features restricted or missing, no detail reports on use cases resulting in a certain defect pattern. I guess the thread is still useful as an alert to major FW issues requiring immediate resolution or reversal.

mozerd
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave

My Latency/Ping have stabilised to my satisfaction after I reset my CODA ... very pleased with the current status just a FYI

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

Factory reset which takes you back to .28T2(?) or a modem reboot?

mozerd
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:

Factory reset which takes you back to .28T2(?) or a modem reboot?

@Datalink @RogersDave

Thanks for the keen eye Datalink ..... and my apologies ... it was a modem reboot not a reset ... still on .33T3

BTW, i had to use Google Chrome to post this message ..... unable to post here using the new Firefox v 57 ....  Firefox just loops and loops.

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

hoopdogg
I plan to stick around

I have the same issue with latest Firefox.

hoopdogg
I plan to stick around
it also appears sending a private message using the new firefox causes an issue. I tried to send @RogersDave a message unsuccessfully now using Chrome I get " You have reached the limit for number of private messages that you can send for now. Please try again later."

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave

I'm impressed by the 2.0.10.33T3 stability. Nearly 12 days of continuous uptime, compared to the previous 2.0.10.33 levels of only a day or so. 

Continuous , but random, network load here, including permanent VPN activity.

Thanks!!

Issues connecting chrome cast solved

I tried everything from contacting chrome cast multiple times and Rogers aswell... trial and error... searching online for solutions... finally the 7th or 8th person I talked to that knew what he was talking about. We tried his solution and it worked for me... chrome cast fully operational and connecting properly. The solution for me was to call Rogers and request them to reset the modem back to factory default settings. It will lose a bit of security but will allow chrome cast to connect and that is the reason chrome cast isn't connecting because Rogers has adjusted the security settings on yhe modem so things like chrome cast will not be able to connect properly. I hope this helps some people with the same issues I had for months after many many calls... hours of waiting... hours of talking finally a real solution that worked for me.

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

Just an update for @RogersDave

Looks great, .33T3, alot of my issues have gone away, however, its still giving me some issues that are oddly strange, for instance, Im occationally disconnected from Netflix servers for sometimes, upto 5min at a time.... I can browse fine in my browser, but every episode I click on I get a No Network error, even if I was in the middle of an episode, itll stop, and ill do absolutly NOTHING to the computer or network, but at somepoint, ill click to resume, or another show, and bam, all good and fine for a while...

Anyways, was just a note to pass along, and see if anyone else has been expreiencing it on 33T3.

As for me, my CODA looks great, 

WAN Up Time010 days 04h:34m:30s

but still some DOCSIS Events over that time, not sure if they relate with my netflix issues, didnt record times unfortunatly.....

1511/09/2017 13:09:0590000000warningMIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=******;CMTS-MAC=******;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
1611/11/2017 08:57:1082000200criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=******;CMTS-MAC=******;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
1711/12/2017 14:50:3390000000warningMIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=******;CMTS-MAC=******;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
1811/19/2017 18:39:5768010300errorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=******;CMTS-MAC=******;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
1911/20/2017 16:40:5682000200criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=******;CMTS-MAC=******;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
2011/22/2017 18:39:5768010300error

DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=******;CMTS-MAC=******;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Thanks again fro all your work, everyone on the Rogers team

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@jeff77 Question about your Chorme Cast issue... cuz I had an issue before, a while ago with mine, and I dont have any of the problems now, and it had NOTHING to do with the modem security settings, well not really.

My question is, are you trying to connect your Chrome Cast on your 5G wifi or 2.4?

Sounds ridiculous, but 5G wont work, and thats Chome Casts fault, not Rogers or the modem.

Took me MONTHS to fix mine, almost thru my FOUR chromes casts out and was going to buy Amazon Fire Sticks or somthing else, but then I found an obscue thread online about the issues, and tried my 2.4 instead, and no more issues since, use mine every single night.

And also, I doubt Rogers would ever intentionally change any security settings to stop any devices, especially a GOOGLE device, from connecting, it would be somthing on the devices end, software or somthing, causing the issue.... They are partnered with Google on the Google Home right now, and I doubt they would risk anything with that for any reason, security or anything, they would just ask Google to update their software to work with the new security, as they should be doing either way.

ayosnato
I plan to stick around

I am having the same sort of issues some of you are having. 33T3 seem to be stable but I am having events as well (see logs below)

1411/20/2017 00:36:4682000200criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=*****;CMTS-MAC=*****;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
1511/20/2017 13:53:3968010300errorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=*****;CMTS-MAC=*****;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
1611/20/2017 19:49:5382000200criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=*****;CMTS-MAC=*****;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
1711/21/2017 22:40:0890000000warningMIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=*****;CMTS-MAC=*****;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
1811/22/2017 16:06:0782000200criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=*****;CMTS-MAC=*****;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
1911/22/2017 22:40:0468010300errorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=*****;CMTS-MAC=*****;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
2011/22/2017 22:43:0090000000warningMIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=*****;CMTS-MAC=*****;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

First my setup:

I am using the Coda connected to my C7 Archer via LAN to WAN connection. The Coda IP is 192.168.0.1 while the C7 is 192.168.1.1. I had DHCP setup for the Coda at 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.100 while the C7 is setup from 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.199

What I cannot seem to figure out is why my wifi from the Coda drops out from all my devices and a reboot is necessary to get the wifi connected again (but will drop out again after a few minutes). The wifi from the C7 is stable though except for the last few days which seem to correspond to the event log from the Coda.

Hopefully somebody from the forum will be able to help me out. Thanks in advance.

I'm not a tech type of person so I don't know the tech talk.
I was suggested from one person from chrome cast that probably knows his stuff because what he suggested solved all my problems.
The solution for me and my modem was to request Rogers to factory reset my modem and guess what all problems solved from months of calling and talking and chrome cast not working now I have been using chrome cast flawlessly for months.
Sorry maybe we have different issues or different models of modems.
Hope you find a solution soon or get connected to someone either from Rogers or chrome cast that can help.

Also I don't know anything about 5g or 2.4 stuff. I just called Rogers and asked them to reset back to default setting on my modem... problems solved.