FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

@RogersDave wrote:

Hello Community,

I just received some fresh news from Hitron. They believed they have identified the source of the reboot issue and will be providing me an incremental build tomorrow (I'm expecting it to be 2.0.10.33T2).

As soon as I have this firmware, I will push it to the firmware trial participants who identified this as an issue in this thread (@tester2013, @JohnBeaudin, @hoopdogg, @zardoz99, @lethalsniper, @Windwalker, @pacerdjl, @RyzenFX, @georgic, @Nadernt, @Triple_Helix, @Mythen, @User1445713, @sputnik62, @arnym21, @WestPoint). I'll then proceed with all the other modems Thursday and Friday based on stability.

Some other answers

@WestPoint, the firmware 2.0.10.28T2 does exist and is really the production one. I believe that frontline agents however don't see it labelled as 28T2 but only 28. The reason it is not in the release notes in this thread is because this firmware was never tested as part of this firmware trial program. It is essentially the same as firmware .27 without Rogers branding.

@arnym21, Factory reset will make the modem accept a full configuration from the network. This configuration states that the modem must be running network firmware 2.0.10.28T2 (which the modem will download automatically).

Regarding the IP pools between Bridge modem and Gateway modes, they are not different. What happens is that each CMTS has multiple IP pools from very different ranges (it occurred over the years as we added IP blocks). When a new MAC address is seen on the network, or a MAC address we haven't seen in the last seven days, our DHCP server pick an available IP and assign it to the device. In gateway mode, the MAC address that our DHCP server sees is the modem MAC while in bridge mode, it will be the MAC of the 3rd party router. Switching from bridge to gateway therefore results in an IP change but they could technically be in the same range, it is random.

The QoS configuration also is not tied to the IP address but to your modem class of service which is linked to the plan you subscribed to. For example, if you subscribe to Ignite 500u, the class of service will cap the speed at 500 Mbps downlink and 20 Mbps uplink. There is no difference between the class of service in bridge or gateway mode.

In your specific case, if your speed is reduced when in bridge mode compared to gateway, I suspect it has to do with the capability of your 3rd party router but you'd have to provide some specifics on the model of router you are using. We have experts in this community that should be able to assist in optimizing the settings for the best performance.

--Dave

Hi Dave, I'd like to try the new firmware too. I'm on .28T2 and I'm not liking the ping time and ping spikes in games.  

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@iOliver wrote:

@RogersDave wrote:

Hello Community,

I just received some fresh news from Hitron. They believed they have identified the source of the reboot issue and will be providing me an incremental build tomorrow (I'm expecting it to be 2.0.10.33T2).

As soon as I have this firmware, I will push it to the firmware trial participants who identified this as an issue in this thread (@tester2013, @JohnBeaudin, @hoopdogg, @zardoz99, @lethalsniper, @Windwalker, @pacerdjl, @RyzenFX, @georgic, @Nadernt, @Triple_Helix, @Mythen, @User1445713, @sputnik62, @arnym21, @WestPoint). I'll then proceed with all the other modems Thursday and Friday based on stability.

Some other answers

@WestPoint, the firmware 2.0.10.28T2 does exist and is really the production one. I believe that frontline agents however don't see it labelled as 28T2 but only 28. The reason it is not in the release notes in this thread is because this firmware was never tested as part of this firmware trial program. It is essentially the same as firmware .27 without Rogers branding.

@arnym21, Factory reset will make the modem accept a full configuration from the network. This configuration states that the modem must be running network firmware 2.0.10.28T2 (which the modem will download automatically).

Regarding the IP pools between Bridge modem and Gateway modes, they are not different. What happens is that each CMTS has multiple IP pools from very different ranges (it occurred over the years as we added IP blocks). When a new MAC address is seen on the network, or a MAC address we haven't seen in the last seven days, our DHCP server pick an available IP and assign it to the device. In gateway mode, the MAC address that our DHCP server sees is the modem MAC while in bridge mode, it will be the MAC of the 3rd party router. Switching from bridge to gateway therefore results in an IP change but they could technically be in the same range, it is random.

The QoS configuration also is not tied to the IP address but to your modem class of service which is linked to the plan you subscribed to. For example, if you subscribe to Ignite 500u, the class of service will cap the speed at 500 Mbps downlink and 20 Mbps uplink. There is no difference between the class of service in bridge or gateway mode.

In your specific case, if your speed is reduced when in bridge mode compared to gateway, I suspect it has to do with the capability of your 3rd party router but you'd have to provide some specifics on the model of router you are using. We have experts in this community that should be able to assist in optimizing the settings for the best performance.

--Dave

Hi Dave, I'd like to try the new firmware too. I'm on .28T2 and I'm not liking the ping time and ping spikes in games.  

Send a PM to @CommunityHelps asking to join the beta firmware program. 

Include your Rogers Account number, and Modem Serial Number and MAC address. You can find the last two when you log in to the modem.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@georgic, there might be other issues at play here.  The CODA modem MoCA channel is only enabled to run in the D-High band, which runs from 1350 to 1675 Mhz.  That is to allow the Rogers tv modems to run MoCA for Whole Home PVR.  A bonded channel consists of two 100 Mhz wide channels with a 25 Mhz gap inbetween.  So, if the bonded channels start at 1350, that results in the upper edge of the second bonded channel sitting at 1575 with a 100 Mh tuning range above that.  The MoCA 2.0 spec indicates that the bonded channels run in the D-High sub-band.  Just to note, what I haven't found is an indication within the MoCA 2.0 spec to indicate that the bonded channels can run anywhere in that band and are not necessarily tied to the bottom starting frequency of 1350 Mhz.  As you will see below, that's possibly a moot point.

Looking at the specs for the Antronix splitters which Rogers uses, there is no mention what so ever of supporting any MoCA operation.  If it actually works, room to room, that might be a minor miracle rather than  good planning.  The upper frequency tops out at 1002 Mhz, far below any MoCA operating range.  The question in this case is how fast the frequency roll-off occurs above 1002 Mhz.  Looking at the amplifiers, there is only one amplifier that is shown to support MoCA 2.0 operation with the 1675 Mhz high end, but, the low frequency split for the upstream frequencies is not correct for Rogers current frequency allocations.  The other amplifiers are  only MoCA 1.1 rated which tops out at 1500 Mhz.  

So, this is an interesting conundrum.  The modem MoCA 2.0 D-high band runs from 1350 to 1675 Mhz.  The splitter that you might have installed doesn't appear to support MoCA operations.  If you happen to have a MoCA Qualified amp installed, from Antronix, it doesn't support MoCA 2.0.  So, if the Modem MoCA firmware is enabled to run Turbo Mode, and I don't see why it wouldn't be, with the current splitters and amps in use by Rogers, it would appear that Turbo Mode is not achievable unless you swap you're splitter or amp for one from another manufacturer such as Holland Electronics which manufactures MoCA 2.0 splitters and amps.

So, here are some points to ponder:

1.  What is the real frequency response of the splitters and amplifiers installed by technicians?  Is that response really as indicated on the web site?  Is there an updated spec which isn't shown on the Antronix website?  I've been keeping my eyes open for any techs visiting the neighborhood to inquire about any datasheets they might have on hand with the splitters and amps.  That would answer this question in a heartbeat. Until its been confirmed that the splitters and amplifiers actually support MoCA 2.0 frequency ranges, I wouldn't count on attaining the turbo or bonded channel performance that is shown on the modems datasheet which is:

• Demodulation/ Modulation: BPSK, QPSK, 8QAM, 16QAM, 32QAM, 64QAM, 128QAM, 256QAM, 512QAM, 1024QAM
  • PHY data rate: 700Mbps (baseline Mode) / 1400Mbps (bonding channel)
  • Throughput: 400+Mbps (baseline Mode) / 500+Mbps (turbo mode, point to point) / 800Mbps (bonding channel)
  • Frequency range: 1125-1675MHz
  • Channel bandwidth: 100MHz (baseline mode) / 225MHz(bonding channel)

1.  If you're not running Whole Home PVR, you might be better off running a MoCA adapter at the modem instead of using the modem's MoCA capability as the MoCA adapter wouldn't be restricted to the D-High band as the modem currently is.  The adapter should have access to the entire D-Low and D-High bands which is a 550 Mhz band:

1.  Sub-band D-Low (DL): 1125 to 1225 MHz edge to edge (100 MHz wide)
  2.  Sub-band D-High (DH): 1350 to 1675 MHz edge to edge (325 MHz wide)
  3.  Guard-band between sub-bands: 1225 to 1350 MHz (125 MHz wide)  

1.  If you are running Whole Home PVR, then from what I can see so far, the only way to run turbo or bonded modes is to ensure that your splitter or amp supports the MoCA 2.0 D-high upper frequency limit at 1675 Mhz instead of 1500 Mhz.

References:

MoCA 1.0 spec:

http://www.mocalliance.org/MoCA1/specification/MoCA_Specification_for_Device_RF_Characteristics.pdf

MoCA 2.0 spec:

http://www.mocalliance.org/MoCA2/specification/MoCA_2.0_and_2.5_Device_RF_Characteristics-160808d.pd...

Have a look at page 9 for the frequency chart.

http://www.antronix.com/antronix-Products-MoCA.php

Here's a test that might confirm the splitter or amp frequency issue if in fact your current configuration has the modem on one splitter port and the MoCA adapter on another splitter port running to another room.  

Disconnect the adapter from its current location and relocate it to sit somewhere between the splitter and modem, on the same splitter port or cable that runs to the modem.  In that configuration all you have is a piece of cable between the modem and the adapter.  I'm assuming that the cable is an RG-6 cable.  Run a speedtest in that configuration if you can.  That could show a higher result if the splitter or amplifier frequency range is preventing the modem and adapter from running in Turbo or Bonded channel mode.  That frequency range wouldn't have any effect on the adapter in this configuration.

Edit: change paragraph two to reflect a newer Antronix MoCA 2.0 rated amplifier. 

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersDave

Sounds good. Looking forward to testing the  stability of the next firmware update.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Dont know if its only me but knock on wood, so far no more reboots on my CODA 4582 (firmware .33) for the past few days.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@tester2013 wrote:

Dont know if its only me but knock on wood, so far no more reboots on my CODA 4582 (firmware .33) for the past few days.

I had one just over 2 hours ago!

Software Version2.0.10.33

LAN Up Time000 days 02h:08m:13s
WAN Up Time000 days 02h:06m:21s

Microsoft® MVP Windows Insider - Windows Security
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@gp-se

On most forums excessive quoting is prohibited by the Rules, because: a) it's unnecessary; b) makes it harder to navigate useful info. Why not follow best practices to help others find info easier?

@Datalink

If you trust the specs marked on Antronix splitters, its 5 - 1002 Mhz on CMC2003H-A 3-way splitter model. Btw, what are 2 types of Rogers used noise filter stubs (cups) attachable to the splitter port, and why 2 different types are needed? The tech seems to have press-fitted the filter into one threaded splitter port, then how to remove it if needed?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Nevermind I lied...just got one 12 minutes ago...
Highlighted
Retired Support
Retired Support

I just finished pushing the newest code 2.0.10.33T2 to the participants that reported reboots. Hitron reported to me that they are still investigating the cause of these reboots and may provide me with a subsequent revision of the code later this week.

I'll be waiting for feedback on this code from both the community here and Hitron before I deploy it further.

--Dave

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just got the .33T2 firmware. I'll indicate if I have any issues with it.