Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave I just wanted to touch on your comment there about the current standard release being 28T2...

According to the change log in this acutall thread, and also to the gentleman on rogers Teir 2 Tech Support, who helped to REMOVE 28T2 from a friends CODA last week and join the the trial.....
28T2 doesnt exist. never mind released or the standard.

Here is your own log from the beinging of this thread;

• 2.0.10.24 (February 16, 2017)  -- Automatic upgrade on boot to this version
    • Tentative Fix: Slowly degrading speed over time
    • Tentative Fix: Latency build up over time

• 2.0.10.26T1 (March 16, 2017) and 2.0.10.26T2 (March 23, 2017)
    • Fix: Gateway reboots randomly when multiple clients are connected
    • Fix: French and special characters not supported in SSID name or password
    • Tentative Fix: Intermitent OFDM channel lock issue
    • Tentative Fix: Missing SC-QAM channels (2.0.10.26T2 only)

• 2.0.10.27 (April 21, 2017) 
    • GUI Option to control eRouter Mode (IPv4, IPv6, Dual-Stack)
    • Fix: Guest Network (some issues still persist)
    • Intel base firmware update (latency improvement)

• 2.0.10.29 (June 15, 2017) 
    • Add: Manual IPv6 DNS override option
    • Add: IPv6 Firewall with per service/host control
    • Add: Initial implementation of MoCA
    • Fix: Wireless encryption GUI
    • Fix: Guest SSID not working
    • Fix: Support for WiFi special characters

• 2.0.10.30 (June 23, 2017)  -- Not being deployed
    • Add: Support for WiFi DFS bands (known issue, channel 144 missing)
    • Add: Support for WiFi band steering
    • Improvement: WiFi speed performance
    • Improvement: MoCA security/privacy settings

• 2.0.10.31 (July 21, 2017)  -- Version 2.0.10.29 + below changes
    • Fix: Support for WiFi DFS channels
    • Add: Option for DFS in GUI
    • Add: Option for band steering in GUI
    • Add: Option for USB in GUI

• 2.0.10.32 (September 8, 2017)
    • Fix: UPnP fix for XBOX
    • Fix: IPv6 Firewall handling of large packets
    • Fix: IPv6 RA interval default to min 198 and max 600

• 2.0.10.33 (October 13, 2017)
    • Fix: Upgrade to PHY firmware (OFDM lock issue)
    • Fix: IPv6 Firewall allowed ICMPv6 types (RFC4890)

So from what I can tell, either your mistaken, or there's been ALOT of mis-communication from yourself to the rest of the tech teams on which software is being used and deployed vs. not.

Im not trying to show you up or anything, I just dont want people getting confused of the wrong information.

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

now to touch on the rebooting, yes, my CODA on .33 also has been rebooting about twice daily, that I notice, and always RIGHT in the middle of streaming a file for download or from my network HDDs

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@WestPoint wrote:

@RogersDave

According to the change log in this acutall thread, and also to the gentleman on rogers Teir 2 Tech Support, who helped to REMOVE 28T2 from a friends CODA last week and join the the trial.....
28T2 doesnt exist. never mind released or the standard.

How then the CSR was able to remove 28T2 if it doesn't exist? Smiley LOL If you had CODA you'd find by login to its GUI it comes with 28T2 preinstalled from factory, latest probably shipped with 32 as Dave said. Trial FW was released over time under various builds, some of them became production later shipped by Hitron, but original FW they developed themselves. If you reset the modem it'll revert back to its factory FW.

arnym21
I plan to stick around

RogersDave wrote: ...

Will the modems from trial FW pool download latest production FW from Rogers server on modem Reset? Or revert to FW stored on ROM?

Also, why in Bridge mode a LAN router wired to CODA with 0.33 FW gets Rogers WAN IP from a different range (like 98) compare to CODA in Gateway mode (like 140), and respectively max wired speed on a Gigabit sub in Bridge mode notably drops probably limited by the new IP pool speed restrictions?

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

I am on .33 coda 4582 gateway mode and yes the modem reboot about twice daily,  however I prefer to stay on .33 because I don't get huge lag spikes when I play video games like I used to on previous firmware version.

.33 did something good with the random lag spikes but it re-introduced the random reboot, hopefully you guys can sort this out.

@arnym21 there is no speed restriction for the 4582, in terms of the modem operating in Gateway or Bridge mode.  You should see the same speedtest results from either mode.  Why you don't see that is mystifying to say the least.  As you indicated earlier, installing a different NIC might make a difference.  Beyond that, the processor speed, memory amount on the motherboard and hard drive type and transfer rate also comes into the picture.  

One thought that came to mind, you will see different WAN IP addresses when you shift the modem from Gateway to Bridge mode.  The CMTS assigns IP addresses which are in part based on the device MAC address.  The IP address are not static and do not appear to be assigned statically to a specific port at the CMTS which then connects to the modem.  If you run the modem in Bridge mode, you can actually change the routers MAC address by cloning different MAC addresses.  However, you would have to ensure that the MAC address you are using isn't already in use at your CMTS.  The router will let you know if the MAC address that you are attempting to use is not a valid MAC address.  I'm wondering if the reason that you see a speed drop is partly or wholly based on a MAC address issue?  

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@ Datalink

It looks like Rogers hub routers have QoS settings differences based on customer IP pool range. Otherwise how would they give priority to commercial customers? To my understanding, all residential users are mixed into same busy Rogers pipe regardless of their sub level, so we can observe real world internet speeds are way slower compare to Rogers Speed Test results. Also I observe large file & torrent download speeds are limited to 15MB/s on a Gigabit sub any time of day or night, while they should be at 125MB/s or near that maxed.

It appears varying IP pools may be assigned to different hub router ports, and each port likely has own QoS settings. Speaking of Bridge mode, I use the same physical setup either in Gateway or Bridge mode, so while other factors you mentioned are important, they remain the same. That's why it looks as either FW issue, or hub router IP range based QoS limitation.

Keep in mind that although one can run ~950Mb/s on a download test, that doesn't mean real world sites are going to give you the same data rates from their servers.  So, in a way the speedtests are artificial and really prove that the "last mile" from the CMTS to the modem, and your equipment can support rates up to and including 950 Mb/s on a gigabit plan.  

Two points come to mind:

1.  Its always possible that you have a bad modem.  That's actually pretty rare from what we see in the forum, but, you could swap it out for test purposes.  That would eliminate the modem from the list of causes; or

2.  There is a configuration issue with your CMTS.  If so, this is the first issue of its type that has been posted in the forum, where one modem mode works and the other doesn't.  That would require someone like @RogersDave to check your CMTS configuration. 

arnym21
I plan to stick around

Good suggestions. Lets hope they'll look into that before the next trial FW build.

As to "real world sites", interesting point, especially when you discuss it with Bell Fiber Gigabit subscribers who wows their real world browsing experience. Smiley Tongue

Hello Community,

I just received some fresh news from Hitron. They believed they have identified the source of the reboot issue and will be providing me an incremental build tomorrow (I'm expecting it to be 2.0.10.33T2).

As soon as I have this firmware, I will push it to the firmware trial participants who identified this as an issue in this thread (@tester2013, @JohnBeaudin, @hoopdogg, @zardoz99, @lethalsniper, @Windwalker, @pacerdjl, @RyzenFX, @georgic, @Nadernt, @Triple_Helix, @Mythen, @User1445713, @sputnik62, @arnym21, @WestPoint). I'll then proceed with all the other modems Thursday and Friday based on stability.

Some other answers

@WestPoint, the firmware 2.0.10.28T2 does exist and is really the production one. I believe that frontline agents however don't see it labelled as 28T2 but only 28. The reason it is not in the release notes in this thread is because this firmware was never tested as part of this firmware trial program. It is essentially the same as firmware .27 without Rogers branding.

@arnym21, Factory reset will make the modem accept a full configuration from the network. This configuration states that the modem must be running network firmware 2.0.10.28T2 (which the modem will download automatically).

Regarding the IP pools between Bridge modem and Gateway modes, they are not different. What happens is that each CMTS has multiple IP pools from very different ranges (it occurred over the years as we added IP blocks). When a new MAC address is seen on the network, or a MAC address we haven't seen in the last seven days, our DHCP server pick an available IP and assign it to the device. In gateway mode, the MAC address that our DHCP server sees is the modem MAC while in bridge mode, it will be the MAC of the 3rd party router. Switching from bridge to gateway therefore results in an IP change but they could technically be in the same range, it is random.

The QoS configuration also is not tied to the IP address but to your modem class of service which is linked to the plan you subscribed to. For example, if you subscribe to Ignite 500u, the class of service will cap the speed at 500 Mbps downlink and 20 Mbps uplink. There is no difference between the class of service in bridge or gateway mode.

In your specific case, if your speed is reduced when in bridge mode compared to gateway, I suspect it has to do with the capability of your 3rd party router but you'd have to provide some specifics on the model of router you are using. We have experts in this community that should be able to assist in optimizing the settings for the best performance.

--Dave

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave Awesome and thanks for your hard work!

Daniel Smiley Wink

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

Thanks for the update,I will provide you feedback on .33T2 after a couple days of using it.

georgic
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:

Hello Community,

I just received some fresh news from Hitron. They believed they have identified the source of the reboot issue and will be providing me an incremental build tomorrow (I'm expecting it to be 2.0.10.33T2).

As soon as I have this firmware, I will push it to the firmware trial participants who identified this as an issue in this thread (@tester2013, @JohnBeaudin, @hoopdogg, @zardoz99, @lethalsniper, @Windwalker, @pacerdjl, @RyzenFX, @georgic, @Nadernt, @Triple_Helix, @Mythen, @User1445713, @sputnik62, @arnym21, @WestPoint). I'll then proceed with all the other modems Thursday and Friday based on stability.

Some other answers

@WestPoint, the firmware 2.0.10.28T2 does exist and is really the production one. I believe that frontline agents however don't see it labelled as 28T2 but only 28. The reason it is not in the release notes in this thread is because this firmware was never tested as part of this firmware trial program. It is essentially the same as firmware .27 without Rogers branding.

@arnym21, Factory reset will make the modem accept a full configuration from the network. This configuration states that the modem must be running network firmware 2.0.10.28T2 (which the modem will download automatically).

Regarding the IP pools between Bridge modem and Gateway modes, they are not different. What happens is that each CMTS has multiple IP pools from very different ranges (it occurred over the years as we added IP blocks). When a new MAC address is seen on the network, or a MAC address we haven't seen in the last seven days, our DHCP server pick an available IP and assign it to the device. In gateway mode, the MAC address that our DHCP server sees is the modem MAC while in bridge mode, it will be the MAC of the 3rd party router. Switching from bridge to gateway therefore results in an IP change but they could technically be in the same range, it is random.

The QoS configuration also is not tied to the IP address but to your modem class of service which is linked to the plan you subscribed to. For example, if you subscribe to Ignite 500u, the class of service will cap the speed at 500 Mbps downlink and 20 Mbps uplink. There is no difference between the class of service in bridge or gateway mode.

In your specific case, if your speed is reduced when in bridge mode compared to gateway, I suspect it has to do with the capability of your 3rd party router but you'd have to provide some specifics on the model of router you are using. We have experts in this community that should be able to assist in optimizing the settings for the best performance.

--Dave

Hi Dave, I'd like to try the new firmware too. I'm on .28T2 and I'm not liking the ping time and ping spikes in games.  

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@iOliver wrote:

@RogersDave wrote:

Hello Community,

Some other answers

--Dave

Hi Dave, I'd like to try the new firmware too. I'm on .28T2 and I'm not liking the ping time and ping spikes in games.  

Send a PM to @CommunityHelps asking to join the beta firmware program. 

Include your Rogers Account number, and Modem Serial Number and MAC address. You can find the last two when you log in to the modem.

@georgic, there might be other issues at play here.  The CODA modem MoCA channel is only enabled to run in the D-High band, which runs from 1350 to 1675 Mhz.  That is to allow the Rogers tv modems to run MoCA for Whole Home PVR.  A bonded channel consists of two 100 Mhz wide channels with a 25 Mhz gap inbetween.  So, if the bonded channels start at 1350, that results in the upper edge of the second bonded channel sitting at 1575 with a 100 Mh tuning range above that.  The MoCA 2.0 spec indicates that the bonded channels run in the D-High sub-band.  Just to note, what I haven't found is an indication within the MoCA 2.0 spec to indicate that the bonded channels can run anywhere in that band and are not necessarily tied to the bottom starting frequency of 1350 Mhz.  As you will see below, that's possibly a moot point.

Looking at the specs for the Antronix splitters which Rogers uses, there is no mention what so ever of supporting any MoCA operation.  If it actually works, room to room, that might be a minor miracle rather than  good planning.  The upper frequency tops out at 1002 Mhz, far below any MoCA operating range.  The question in this case is how fast the frequency roll-off occurs above 1002 Mhz.  Looking at the amplifiers, there is only one amplifier that is shown to support MoCA 2.0 operation with the 1675 Mhz high end, but, the low frequency split for the upstream frequencies is not correct for Rogers current frequency allocations.  The other amplifiers are  only MoCA 1.1 rated which tops out at 1500 Mhz.  

So, this is an interesting conundrum.  The modem MoCA 2.0 D-high band runs from 1350 to 1675 Mhz.  The splitter that you might have installed doesn't appear to support MoCA operations.  If you happen to have a MoCA Qualified amp installed, from Antronix, it doesn't support MoCA 2.0.  So, if the Modem MoCA firmware is enabled to run Turbo Mode, and I don't see why it wouldn't be, with the current splitters and amps in use by Rogers, it would appear that Turbo Mode is not achievable unless you swap you're splitter or amp for one from another manufacturer such as Holland Electronics which manufactures MoCA 2.0 splitters and amps.

So, here are some points to ponder:

1.  What is the real frequency response of the splitters and amplifiers installed by technicians?  Is that response really as indicated on the web site?  Is there an updated spec which isn't shown on the Antronix website?  I've been keeping my eyes open for any techs visiting the neighborhood to inquire about any datasheets they might have on hand with the splitters and amps.  That would answer this question in a heartbeat. Until its been confirmed that the splitters and amplifiers actually support MoCA 2.0 frequency ranges, I wouldn't count on attaining the turbo or bonded channel performance that is shown on the modems datasheet which is:

• Demodulation/ Modulation: BPSK, QPSK, 8QAM, 16QAM, 32QAM, 64QAM, 128QAM, 256QAM, 512QAM, 1024QAM
  • PHY data rate: 700Mbps (baseline Mode) / 1400Mbps (bonding channel)
  • Throughput: 400+Mbps (baseline Mode) / 500+Mbps (turbo mode, point to point) / 800Mbps (bonding channel)
  • Frequency range: 1125-1675MHz
  • Channel bandwidth: 100MHz (baseline mode) / 225MHz(bonding channel)

1.  If you're not running Whole Home PVR, you might be better off running a MoCA adapter at the modem instead of using the modem's MoCA capability as the MoCA adapter wouldn't be restricted to the D-High band as the modem currently is.  The adapter should have access to the entire D-Low and D-High bands which is a 550 Mhz band:

1.  Sub-band D-Low (DL): 1125 to 1225 MHz edge to edge (100 MHz wide)
  2.  Sub-band D-High (DH): 1350 to 1675 MHz edge to edge (325 MHz wide)
  3.  Guard-band between sub-bands: 1225 to 1350 MHz (125 MHz wide)  

1.  If you are running Whole Home PVR, then from what I can see so far, the only way to run turbo or bonded modes is to ensure that your splitter or amp supports the MoCA 2.0 D-high upper frequency limit at 1675 Mhz instead of 1500 Mhz.

References:

MoCA 1.0 spec:

http://www.mocalliance.org/MoCA1/specification/MoCA_Specification_for_Device_RF_Characteristics.pdf

MoCA 2.0 spec:

http://www.mocalliance.org/MoCA2/specification/MoCA_2.0_and_2.5_Device_RF_Characteristics-160808d.pd...

Have a look at page 9 for the frequency chart.

http://www.antronix.com/antronix-Products-MoCA.php

Here's a test that might confirm the splitter or amp frequency issue if in fact your current configuration has the modem on one splitter port and the MoCA adapter on another splitter port running to another room.  

Disconnect the adapter from its current location and relocate it to sit somewhere between the splitter and modem, on the same splitter port or cable that runs to the modem.  In that configuration all you have is a piece of cable between the modem and the adapter.  I'm assuming that the cable is an RG-6 cable.  Run a speedtest in that configuration if you can.  That could show a higher result if the splitter or amplifier frequency range is preventing the modem and adapter from running in Turbo or Bonded channel mode.  That frequency range wouldn't have any effect on the adapter in this configuration.

Edit: change paragraph two to reflect a newer Antronix MoCA 2.0 rated amplifier. 

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@RogersDave

Sounds good. Looking forward to testing the  stability of the next firmware update.

tester2013
I plan to stick around

Dont know if its only me but knock on wood, so far no more reboots on my CODA 4582 (firmware .33) for the past few days.

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

@tester2013 wrote:

Dont know if its only me but knock on wood, so far no more reboots on my CODA 4582 (firmware .33) for the past few days.

I had one just over 2 hours ago!

Software Version2.0.10.33

LAN Up Time000 days 02h:08m:13s
WAN Up Time000 days 02h:06m:21s

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@gp-se

On most forums excessive quoting is prohibited by the Rules, because: a) it's unnecessary; b) makes it harder to navigate useful info. Why not follow best practices to help others find info easier?

@Datalink

If you trust the specs marked on Antronix splitters, its 5 - 1002 Mhz on CMC2003H-A 3-way splitter model. Btw, what are 2 types of Rogers used noise filter stubs (cups) attachable to the splitter port, and why 2 different types are needed? The tech seems to have press-fitted the filter into one threaded splitter port, then how to remove it if needed?

tester2013
I plan to stick around
Nevermind I lied...just got one 12 minutes ago...