FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Yes it has AC Wave 2 so it has the whole kit and kaboodle. We just have to wait for some firmware that takes advantage of it all.
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Alex4161 wrote:
Yes it has AC Wave 2 so it has the whole kit and kaboodle. We just have to wait for some firmware that takes advantage of it all.

I feel like we're not going to get that for a good long time. They're likely too busy fixing critical bugs to implement new stuff... 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Dave, I am still on .14, is this normal?

If not, could you kindly push .19?

Thanks.

Alex.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDaveCan you push me to .19 as well?

Tech came in yesterday and he showed me his testing device. My internet would be all fine then all of a sudden signal would drop to 'fail' status. So he replaced the amps and modems. Now the new modem is back to .13. 

When I run HTML speedtest, my speed never cross 60mbps download due to stuttering and lag. Whereas before with CGN I would get 400mbps+. Yesterday night, I was getting speeds of 1200mbps+ due to very very high bufferbloat (9000ms+) on dal reports. At Rogers I get 400 to 600mbps (I am on a gigabit). 

Speed is not the issue for me and not even ping. It's the stuttering and lag since I got this new modem. High bufferbloat. It's very much apparent when playing games, web page loading and movie (or anything) downloading. I called in Rogers again yesterday twice (first one was disconnected from their system). First one told my modem was faulty and advised me to change the modem. Second one told that my modem is receiving excellent signal after the fix. I have 0% packet loss. I don't know what can be done about it now.

Anyway, please push me to .19. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Alex4161 wrote:

I just wanted to know why people are running seperate routers and the CODA router/modem? 

I'm assuming that you haven't been around for the introduction of the various Hitron modems to Rogers.  The history is less than stellar, in fact its been rather painful for a good number of customers.  So, rather than fight with NAT, VOIP, Port Forwarding and many other issues, it has been far simpler to run the modem in Bridge mode and let a real router do the work that needs to get done.  That for the most part is why people choose to run separate routers, because they work .....

Highlighted

Thanks @Datalink

I always heard stories about the Rogers all in one modems and I agree with your assessment. Hopefully the new CODA modems are a step in the right direction.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@Alex4161 wrote:

I just wanted to know why people are running seperate routers and the CODA router/modem?  

Many people have this misconception of the max wifi speeds and that an AC5200 router will give you super fast speeds of +1 Gigabit.  I think this is a lot of media tomfoolery which is aimed at selling high speed routers to those who don't know any better.  This article by CNET explains just that:

If the new CODA modems would actually work, I would be happy to give the one device setup a serious try.  Unfortunately I went through three of the modems in 4 days.  They lock up in 24 hours or less and require a reboot.  Both my partner and I work from home and need the Internet for VOIP, email and WEB conferencing.  A random reboot like that in the middle of the day is simply not an option.  After disabling all things like DNS, DHCP, DHCP reservations, wireless networking, etc, everything is fine - no more lock-ups/reboots.

Also, I was doing all of my tests wired - not wireless.  Going through an AC66U I was getting a performance drop simply by inserting the router into the middle.    I can't remember how much but it was noticable.   Since I wasn't getting the performance I was paying for and since the wireless was not powerful enough anyways, I upgraded to the AC5300 get better wired performance and better wireless coverage throughout my house.  Wired is for work, wireless is for play.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I can confirm that disabling wireless bands, unplugging the router for a few minutes, then reenabling ONLY 5Ghz makes the speeds way better (600/25). This hopefully will help a lot of people who are experiencing both slow wired and wireless. @rogersdave hopefully you can work with this to implement in the new firmware. 

Highlighted

Have you tried the latest firmware and disabling 2.4 Ghz? This seems to work reasonably well.

How much did you pay for the AC5300 Router and did you consider going the Google approach and having an access point at every level in the home instead of just one?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

.19, test done at 3:30AM on Jan 1, Windows 10 desktop wired directly to my router via CAT6... pretty nice speeds!